We can now recycle poop for food!

Talk about anything in here.

Postby shooraijin » Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:33 pm

Yes. Can't we talk about excrement in peace?
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby Dante » Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:05 pm

Ending conversation with Nate. Not about to blow up about this with my friends - it's. not. worth it.

" wrote:In addition, I just farted which I suppose goes along with the topic of this thread.

And you, TMI! XD
Dante

Postby Wallachia » Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:13 pm

Words cannot convey how I feel about this, but this does.

I tried to come up with something in plain text that I could post here, but... I can't. I had to resort to using a reaction image, and frankly, I think it conveys my reaction perfectly.

Wallachia

Postby ShiroiHikari » Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:52 pm

Wallachia (post: 1486294) wrote:Words cannot convey how I feel about this, but this does.

Nice.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Nanao » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:14 pm

I'm all for recycling and being environmentally responsible, but I think I'll skip this. .... And stick with noodles when in Japan.
[color="RoyalBlue"]My help comes from the Lord, maker of heaven and earth.[/color] Psalm 121:2
[color="Pink"]@)[/color][color="Green"]}~`,~[/color] Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.
Nanao

Postby Tsukuyomi » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:33 pm

I'm willing to try most new things, but.. I'll pass, but thank you for the offer *Pushes it away* ^__^

Ewww.. Maybe... just maybe, some things should remain.. left alone xD;
Tsukuyomi

Location: I am a figment of your imagination... I live only in your dreams... I haunt you ~(O_O)~

Postby WhiteMage212 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:38 pm

I personally wouldn't eat it. But I actually wouldnt mind at all if pet companies started using this for pet food.Not to mention how flexible it would be to adjust the type of steak they wanted to make. My dog sticks his face in poop anyway.
In the beginning, God created HTML...- R. Zion
Men cry not for themselves, but for there comrades.-FF7 Crisis Core
"If it's not the gun that takes you down, it's the pen- myself
Know God, No fear.
If it doesn't fit, you must edIT! MOES. http://www.christiananime.net/showthread.php?t=43825[/URL].
WhiteMage212

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:22 pm

So, anyway. I'll just be packing my own red meat if I ever head over to Japan. If it comes to the U.S. I'll own my own cattle (or what ever red meat making animal...)
Shao Feng-Li

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:43 pm

That's all very well, but it only stretches so far. . . .

What happens after we eat food? We poop.
What happens after we eat poop food the intent of which is to squeeze out every last bit of nutrients in poop? We poop poop.
At this point, the poop we poop is poop poop and in the end, this poop poop that we're pooping is poop that's devoid of nutrients. So we're right back where we started from, but with poop that's utterly useless.

To sum it up: It's a waste.
If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Postby Arya Raiin » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:05 pm

Poop food... food of poop... doodoo steak... I could come up with a lot of names for this idea. The problem is that only on fits is perfectly... EWWWWW!!~

I mean, if I was starving I'd eat it. But yea... otherwise no thanks. >_>;
Arya Raiin

Postby Furen » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:09 pm

I don't even...
And this I pray, that your love would abound still, more and more with real knowledge and all discernment. Be prepared to preach the gospel at a moment's notice. Do you know the gospel well enough to do so yourself? Be ready.
Furen

Postby Tarnish » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:25 pm

I thought being part of the Human Centipede was supposed to be horrifying, not groundbreaking.
Tarnish

Postby Dante » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:55 pm

That's all very well, but it only stretches so far. . . .

What happens after we eat food? We poop.
What happens after we eat poop food the intent of which is to squeeze out every last bit of nutrients in poop? We poop poop.
At this point, the poop we poop is poop poop and in the end, this poop poop that we're pooping is poop that's devoid of nutrients. So we're right back where we started from, but with poop that's utterly useless.

To sum it up: It's a waste.

Well - that might not be entirely true. The proteins you ingest into your body will either stay in your body or be sent out as part of the excrement unless damaged to the point of being unusable I'd imagine. The number of proteins in your body plus those exiting must ultimately be equal to the number of proteins entering. In other words, you'd just be a dedicated recycler!

Actually you'd likely get a better crowd by learning how to turn human waste into a non-harmful fertilizer. That way you could grow other stuff in it (we already use animal waste products for this end). People are far more likely to eat something grown in fertilizer then they are going to eat their own excrement... unless they're two years old at which point that seems to oddly come natural. *cringes*
Dante

Postby Davidizer13 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:53 pm

Pascal (post: 1486345) wrote:Actually you'd likely get a better crowd by learning how to turn human waste into a non-harmful fertilizer. That way you could grow other stuff in it (we already use animal waste products for this end). People are far more likely to eat something grown in fertilizer then they are going to eat their own excrement... unless they're two years old at which point that seems to oddly come natural. *cringes*

Actually, this does happen. In wastewater treatment, the solid by-products that settle out of the water is known as "sludge," and can be processed to kill the bacteria in it, then used as a fertilizer. One of the trade names is Metro-something-or-other; apparently it works well on golf courses.

As for eating it directly, no, no thanks. That one part where they do this kind of thing in Gulliver's Travels was meant as a satire, and should remain so. (Extracting sunlight from cucumbers, though, now that might get you somewhere!)
We are loved even though we suck.

Psalms 37:37 (NHEB)
Mark the perfect man, and see the upright, for there is a future for the man of peace.
Davidizer13

Postby shooraijin » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:00 pm

New movie catch phrase: Soylent Brown is MADE BY people!
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby Kaori » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:24 pm

@ everyone who has been saying, “I won’t eat red meat in Japan”:

ったく!Did anyone watch the video? This stuff is not even on the market yet. Just because a scientist in a laboratory has made synthetic meat from excrement does not mean that all the red meat in stores and restaurants is suddenly going to be replaced with this synthetic meat.

at the moment the excrement steaks are ten to twenty times the price they should be thanks to the cost of research

Besides the prohibitive cost, Japan has stringent laws about food labeling; if this synthetic meat ever does become commercially available, it will be clearly labeled as such. As for restaurants, I’m pretty sure they are not going to pay 20 times the price of regular meat for something that no one will want to eat because the very thought of it disgusts them.

Whether or not this ever becomes widely available is a huge “if," so it might not ever even hit the store shelves. But even if it does, and even if it is commercially successful (also unlikely), the Japanese people are not going to try to trick you into eating poop the moment you step off the airplane.
Let others believe in the God who brings men to trial and judges them. I shall cling to the God who resurrects the dead.
-St. Nikolai Velimirovich

MAL
Kaori

Postby ShiroiHikari » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:26 pm

"I don't know what kind of doodoo meat he was using in there, but I had to puke!"
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby junomoule » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:48 pm

Ahahaha! Oh, goodness. So much laughter for this, though I still can't tell whether the laughter is more of the nervous/hysterical breed or goodhearted guffawing. This is like poop coffee, but with a little more oomph to it.

Glorious science.

Soylent brown and so many potty-themed jokes I shouldn't have giggled at but did. Makes me wonder what kind of properties it'd have in an RPG setting, how it'd effect a person's status. +5 willpower, -3 sanitation? S'fun food for thought, anyway. Quite practical, too.
[color="#DE979B"]j u n o m o u l e[/color]
[size="1"]manifesto - the city harmonic
[color="#D3A2A6"]"life is like a moustache it can be wonderful or terrible but it always tickles"
!random messages welcome![/color][/size]
junomoule

Postby Wallachia » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:56 pm

Just wait until these enter our McDonald's burgers.

[spoiler]Will they taste any different?[/spoiler]

Wallachia

Postby ADXC » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:03 pm

Sad, this thread seems that it could fall into the depths of Goof-off because of all these crappy jokes.
ADXC

Postby Nate » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:04 pm

ShiroiHikari wrote:"I don't know what kind of doodoo meat he was using in there, but I had to puke!"

I liked that gumbo! I didn't use no doodoo meat.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby ShiroiHikari » Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:22 am

I knew I could count on you Nate.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:07 am

[quote="Kaori (post: 1486357)"]@ everyone who has been saying, “I won’t eat red meat in Japanâ€
Shao Feng-Li

Postby Davidizer13 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:43 pm

Wait a minute. I just realized that according to the article, more than one person has eaten these things. That is, more than just the scientist that drew the short straw. I can just picture it...

"Well, sir, how was your meal?"

"Eh. It was all right. That steak, though, it tasted kinda funny. What kind of seasoning did you use?"

"Actually... *whisper whisper*"

"..."

"..."
We are loved even though we suck.

Psalms 37:37 (NHEB)
Mark the perfect man, and see the upright, for there is a future for the man of peace.
Davidizer13

Postby Dante » Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:47 pm

Actually - I think this product may have a future... as a weed out mechanism in the show Fear Factor. "Tonight, our contestants will be forced to eat their own dung! A show dedicated to epic recycling!"
Dante

Postby ADXC » Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:44 pm

Come one please, they'll only make that a challenge when they put the dung into blenders along with many different bugs, including the special Madagascar cockroach, and cow organs and then blended together into a smoothie.
ADXC

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:13 pm

Pascal wrote:Well - that might not be entirely true. The proteins you ingest into your body will either stay in your body or be sent out as part of the excrement unless damaged to the point of being unusable I'd imagine. The number of proteins in your body plus those exiting must ultimately be equal to the number of proteins entering. In other words, you'd just be a dedicated recycler!

Whatever, Professor. I used the word "poop" 8 times in one sentence. BEAT THAT! ;)
If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Postby TheMewster » Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:59 pm

I think I am going to be sick now. Bye and God bless!
So the poor has hope, and injustice shuts her mouth. ~Job 5:16 WEB~
For you are my hope, Lord Yahweh; my confidence from my youth. ~Psalm 71:5 WEB~
TheMewster

Postby Lilac#18 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:00 pm

[quote="Sparx00 (post: 1486169)"]... Note to self]

[quote="UniqueAngelStar"]..I second that here.

This is just....too weird... .__.]

[color="Plum"]I third this.[/color]

[quote="Tsukuyomi (post: 1486309)"]I'm willing to try most new things, but.. I'll pass, but thank you for the offer *Pushes it away* ^__^

Ewww.. Maybe... just maybe, some things should remain.. left alone xD]

[color="Plum"]I second this.[/color]
FKA Selenite
B careful of bad habits u form when ur single. In most cases u'll carry them over into ur marriage! - Damita Haddon

"Apparently, it takes more than just the sword." - Mirai (Future) Trunks

24When you lie down, you shall not be afraid; yes, you shall lie down, and your sleep shall be sweet. Proverbs 3:24 AMP

@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.

Lilac#18

Postby Yuki-Anne » Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:06 pm

shooraijin (post: 1486284) wrote:Yes. Can't we talk about excrement in peace?

:lol:

Tsukuyomi (post: 1486309) wrote:Ewww.. Maybe... just maybe, some things should remain.. left alone xD]

Some things should remain sacred. Like poop.

Shao Feng-Li (post: 1486327) wrote:So, anyway. I'll just be packing my own red meat if I ever head over to Japan. If it comes to the U.S. I'll own my own cattle (or what ever red meat making animal...)

I know this is probably a joke, but (1.) as an airline passenger you can't transport fresh meat overseas, and (2.) as Kaori mentioned, this is not being sold for mass consumption, and believe it or not Japan does grow its own cows. Didn't anybody notice that the author of FMA used a cow to represent herself? That's no coincidence; she's from Hokkaido, an area which is famous for its cattle industry. There's a farm with a few cows not 5 miles away from me. And many Japanese are actually rather careful about what they'll eat most of the time. You might hear about people eating live octupi in Korea or live crabs being sold in a vending machine in China, but that sort of things is incredibly rare here in Japan. Most of them have the same reaction you do to "crazy food" like that. So trust me, it's an interesting idea but I doubt it'll reach mainstream consumption any time soon, if ever.
New and improved Yuki-Anne: now with blog: http://anneinjapan.blog.com
Yuki-Anne

Previous Next

Return to General