We can now recycle poop for food!

Talk about anything in here.

We can now recycle poop for food!

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:18 pm

http://news.yahoo.com/s/digitaltrends/20110615/tc_digitaltrends/japanesescientistscreatesmeatoutoffeces
[quote]Japan scientist synthesizes meat from human feces

Somehow this feels like a Vonnegut plotline: population boom equals food shortage. Solution? Synthesize food from human waste matter. Absurd yes, but Japanese scientists have actually discovered a way to create edible steaks from human feces.

Mitsuyuki Ikeda, a researcher from the Okayama Laboratory, has developed steaks based on proteins from human excrement. Tokyo Sewage approached the scientist because of an overabundance of sewage mud. They asked him to explore the possible uses of the sewage and Ikeda found that the mud contained a great deal of protein because of all the bacteria.

The researchers then extracted those proteins, combined them with a reaction enhancer and put it in an exploder which created the artificial steak. The “meatâ€
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Okami » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:20 pm

WhatisthisIdon'teven--- :eyebrow:

Eww.
~*~ Blessed to be Ryosuke's wife!
"We will be her church, the body of Christ coming alive to
meet her needs, to write love on her arms." ~ Jamie Tworkowski
Okami

Postby Psycho Molos » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:29 pm

Well in the Enterprise-D technical manual where it talks about the replicators it refers to recycling the human waste products as the source for the food replicators.... or maybe that's the fan-made Khai Tam techmanual....

Either way....it takes a literal meaning to the phrase "Eat [crap]" LOL
[color="Cyan"]Oh MOES! It's Czadek peddling the Black Pill for the Merv! Dark Evolution[/color]

Ich hasst Mein lieben.....
Psycho Molos

Postby Darth_Kirby » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:31 pm

The only way people would eat this is if they were on a spaceship heading to a star lightyears away. Aside from that, the ick factor is waaaay too strong. lol
Join the Darth side... No really! Join! The pension plan is great and they match all your 401K's!! XD

[color="Cyan"]True freedom is the ability to do what you know is right without fear of persecution.[/color]

[color="Lime"]I finally understand that justice is not born out of the desire for revenge or hatred, but it is born out of love for one’s fellow man.[/color]

Darth_Kirby (post: 1481540) wrote:Ah, the beast of terminology... how many more arguments will you start... XP
Darth_Kirby

Postby Ella Edric » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:54 pm

I'm..... almost curious to try this.... LOL I wonder what it tastes like, y'know? XD
Ella Edric

Postby Sparx00 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:03 pm

... Note to self; Stick with fish, rice and ramen while in Japan.
You wish you could shred like me.
Sparx00

Postby Nate » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:59 pm

NOPE.avi.png.gif.flv.wmv.tiff.flac

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4op6UoTmpo

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Kaligraphic » Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:31 am

What, afraid of a little rump roast? :)
The cake used to be a lie like you, but then it took a portal to the deception core.
Kaligraphic

Postby ShiroiHikari » Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:58 am

Mr. SmartyPants (post: 1486160) wrote:
Pretty cool, right?

No. No. No. No.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby UniqueAngelStar » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:22 am

[quote="Sparx00 (post: 1486169)"]... Note to self]

...I second that here.

This is just....too weird... .__.;
I wouldn't eat it...nor even try...
ImageImage
[color="DarkOrchid"]@)[/color][color="DarkGreen"]}~`,~[/color][color="DeepSkyBlue"] Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.[/color]
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]Proud member of[/color] MOES!
UniqueAngelStar

Postby Jingo Jaden » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:25 am

Will there be a vegetarian option to this?
Of two evils, choose neither - Charles Spurgeon.

Jingo Jaden

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:57 am

Creative, yes. Clever, yes. But it's a freaking awful idea. Who came up with this crap?
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby Lynna » Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:51 am

....Ewww....that is so...disgusting...Is that stuff...germ free? Ick...
I Believe in the Sun/Even when It's not shining/I belive in Love/Even When I Don't Feel it/And I Believe in God/Even when He is silent/And I, I Believe ---BarlowGirl
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks To All The CAA Moderators
DeviantArttumblrBeneath The Tangles
Avatar (lovingly) taken from The Silver Eye webcomic
Lynna

Postby Nami » Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:58 am

Warrior 4 Jesus (post: 1486199) wrote:Who came up with this crap?

Didn't you read the article? We did. <---- BAD JOKE!

Ahem.

^^

This sounds disgusting... and creative/not wasteful or not... I don't think many people will eat it. And I'm with Sparx! I ain't eaten steak in Japan -_-;
[color="Red"][SIZE="3"]Swiftly Dissin' and never Missin'.
Yours Truly,
Sick of all the BSin'.[/SIZE][/color]
Nami

Location: Sitting in a tree, waiting for you. *sinister grin*

Postby ShiroiHikari » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:55 am

Who the heck wants to eat steak while in Japan anyways? They have good fish there. Fresh fish > steak.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Ally-Ann » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:12 am

.... Just goes to show ya how much time people have on their hands. Eating waste? Seriously? Scientists came up with this? Kinda sounds like a ten-year-old boy's idea to me... There's no way on God's green earth that I would even think about trying that. Blech...
[color="Lime"]My Fictionpress account[/color]! http://www.fictionpress.com/u/740837/Ally-Ann

[color="Yellow"]My Fanfiction account[/color]! http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2401061/ArmyAngel316

My nicknames! [color="Pink"]~*[/color][color="palegreen"]Ally[/color][color="pink"]*~[/color] [color="white"](>[/color][color="Cyan"]Mochi-chan[/color][color="White"]<)[/color]

I like mochi. ^^

I question my [color="DarkOrchid"]sanity[/color]. (._.)

Operation: Blackout
Ally-Ann

Postby Psycho Molos » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:46 am

Warrior 4 Jesus (post: 1486199) wrote:Creative, yes. Clever, yes. But it's a freaking awful idea. Who came up with this crap?

Our rectums, sphincters, large intestines...lol
[color="Cyan"]Oh MOES! It's Czadek peddling the Black Pill for the Merv! Dark Evolution[/color]

Ich hasst Mein lieben.....
Psycho Molos

Postby Yamamaya » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:19 am

So I guess the insult "Go eat crap and die" won't work anymore.
Yamamaya

Postby MomentOfInertia » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:24 am

Um ... Yay?:eyebrow:

Another case of "How Star Trek/William Shatner Changed The World" History channel will have to amend their show/make another one. XD

I'll wager that the US Navy and NASA are already trying to buy this. it's just the sort of tech they'd want, Stretch those provisions out just a little bit further.
MAL - CAA MAL club - Avatar from Hyouka
"DaughterOfZion 06:19 - forget love, fudge conquers all. xD"
"Written assignments are never finished, only due." -me
-Speak not unless you can improve the silence.-
MOES: Members Observing Efficient Sigs
MomentOfInertia

Postby Xeno » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:34 am

So I'm guessing this call that came into 911 a couple weeks ago is really someone just trying to set up a picnic? (read comments bottom to top)

Xeno

Postby Sparx00 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:54 am

Jaden Mental (post: 1486184) wrote:Will there be a vegetarian option to this?

Maybe you could get a custom veggie burger?
You wish you could shred like me.
Sparx00

Postby Dante » Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:02 pm

You do realize that we could greatly increase the amount of food available to the general population by simply switching over to a vegetarian diet. Meat is a vastly less efficient and we could easily support a significantly larger population with a switch and reduce green-house gasses as well! Now many people may dislike this idea, but honestly - when taken in reference to this...

It's better then eating... Shhh! Don't think those dirty words! ^_^
Dante

Postby ShiroiHikari » Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:07 pm

If you're going to eat vegetarian, be prepared to find an alternative source for protein, which is an important part of our diet. Veggies alone simply don't fill a person up the way protein does. We need both veggies and protein, unless you like eating a boatload of veggies every three hours. Not only would you not get the protein you need, but...who the heck has time to eat every few hours?
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Yamamaya » Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:14 pm

ShiroiHikari (post: 1486264) wrote:If you're going to eat vegetarian, be prepared to find an alternative source for protein, which is an important part of our diet. Veggies alone simply don't fill a person up the way protein does. We need both veggies and protein, unless you like eating a boatload of veggies every three hours. Not only would you not get the protein you need, but...who the heck has time to eat every few hours?

Althought to be honest, most of us get more protein than we actually need.

Plus there are tons of vegetarian options for protein.
Yamamaya

Postby Nate » Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:15 pm

Pascal wrote:Meat is a vastly less efficient

This is absolutely and completely untrue in some places. There are places where the soil is poor and growing large amounts of crops is not possible. In places like these, meat is vastly more efficient because low-quality grain can be grown for meat-producing animals to consume (the grain that cows and such eat is not the same as the grain used in people food).

On top of that, if literally everyone in the US went vegetarian, where are the extra veggies going to come from? There'd have to be a lot more farmers than there are now I'd wager, and on top of that, there'd probably have to be a lot more farmland...and not all land is suitable for farming, as I said. There are places where the soil is just not usable for edible crops.

Nate

Postby Dante » Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:16 pm

If you're going to eat vegetarian, be prepared to find an alternative source for protein, which is an important part of our diet. Veggies alone simply don't fill a person up the way protein does. We need both veggies and protein, unless you like eating a boatload of veggies every three hours. Not only would you not get the protein you need, but...who the heck has time to eat every few hours.

^ Black beans, protein shakes...

1/2 cup serving of black beans = 20.95g protein
1 large egg only contains 6 grams. So if you ate 1/2 a cup of black beans, it would be the same as eating a 3 egg breakfast.

So yes, we have ways of getting our protein. Of course, it's beans and when related to this!

Beans beans the magical fruit! The more you eat, the more you toot, the more you toot, the more of your poop! The more you poop the better you feel, Japan suggests you eat beans for every meal!

Is this thread getting enough potty-humor yet? I cant help myself - I just find the topic at hand too comical. Someone tell me if I'm taking things too far.

" wrote:This is absolutely and completely untrue in some places. There are places where the soil is poor and growing large amounts of crops is not possible. In places like these, meat is vastly more efficient because low-quality grain can be grown for meat-producing animals to consume (the grain that cows and such eat is not the same as the grain used in people food).

On top of that, if literally everyone in the US went vegetarian, where are the extra veggies going to come from? There'd have to be a lot more farmers than there are now I'd wager, and on top of that, there'd probably have to be a lot more farmland...and not all land is suitable for farming, as I said. There are places where the soil is just not usable for edible crops.

^- LINK

" wrote:-Also, in order to feed all of the cattle and chickens we have to grow food. 80% of all the grain grown in the US goes to feeding cattle. That means more forests must be cleared to make room to grow corn, which isn't even used for human consumption. In order to produce a pound of meat, the animal has to consume 5 times that. In other words, if we all avoided eating meat, we could feed 4 times more people without changing our current techniques.

" wrote:-One of the most pressing environmental issues around the world is fresh water. Currently humans have appropriated about half the available fresh water on the planet. Much of this water will be renewed each year because of adequate rainfall. But humans live in such a variety of climates that, in many areas, water is becoming more scarce. The amount of water used every day to sustain a vegetarian diet is 300 gallons/day and for a meat-based diet is 4,000 gallons/day.

Now I think those numbers are a tad bit on the high end of estimates, but I've read it elsewhere as well.
Dante

Postby Nate » Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:22 pm

Good job not reading what I posted.
80% of all the grain grown in the US goes to feeding cattle.

IT'S NOT THE SAME GRAIN USED IN HUMAN FOODS. GRAIN FED TO CATTLE IS LOWER QUALITY THAN GRAIN USED FOR HUMAN CONSUMPTION. THUS YOU CANNOT JUST THROW OUT THESE NUMBERS AND EXPECT THEM TO MEAN ANYTHING, BECAUSE THE GRAIN THAT COWS EAT CANNOT BE EATEN BY HUMANS, AND THUS THIS STATISTIC IS POINTLESS.

Did that clear it up? Since you seem to have missed it when I said this in my previous post, I decided to help it stand out a little.

In addition to this, are you aware that there are products made from animals that aren't just meat? There's eggs, gelatin, wool, leather, pet food, all sorts of stuff.
if we all avoided eating meat, we could feed 4 times more people without changing our current techniques

This is absolute, complete, and utter BS, made up only to sound good. The reason people are starving in other countries is NOT because there isn't enough food. The reason why is because of business. Giving away food for free to other countries kind of cuts into profits, thus most businesses aren't going to do it except once in a while to look good, leaving the burden to the average citizen...most of whom lack the money or resources to send large amounts of food to those countries. There is also the problem of corrupted governments that prevent the starving citizens of their country from receiving the food. Growing more food CANNOT and WILL NOT solve the hunger problem in the world, as it is largely a problem of capitalism and politics. Thus, throwing around statistics like that is utterly meaningless as no, 4 times as many people would NOT be fed if we all gave up eating meat.

On TOP of that, as I said, there are OTHER products made from animals that are not meat, meaning that animals would still have to be raised...thus, you can't just automatically convert all resources used in animal rearing to human consumption, because some animals would still be raised even if meat wasn't eaten.

Now let's tackle this statement:
The amount of water used every day to sustain a vegetarian diet is 300 gallons/day and for a meat-based diet is 4,000 gallons/day.

The average person consumes 1.5 million gallons of water every year. This incorporates both drinking water AND the water used to grow crops to feed the person. Thus, population control would actually save more water than going vegetarian would, since human beings live far longer than animals. If fresh water is the problem, they're doing it wrong. The solution is not to stop meat eating, but to stop reproduction. Having people go vegetarian to save fresh water is far less efficient than lobbying for laws like China has, where each family is allowed to only have a certain number of children.

In other words, all you just posted is a ridiculous scam to try and guilt-trip people who eat meat. I'm not buying it. There's a lot of flat-out lies and misinformation in those statements, and I may be stupid, but I'm not stupid enough to fall for that.

Nate

Postby ShiroiHikari » Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:22 pm

FFffff--

I'm just not even gonna.

Edit: Thank you Nate. Well said.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:20 pm

Jesus, man. You can disagree and disprove what people say without being condescending and implying that others are stupider than you...
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Yamamaya » Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:28 pm

All right bros and sisses. Calm down.

Vegetarianism isn't even the topic of this thread. We're talking about poop food. Let's get back to talking about poop food.

In addition, I just farted which I suppose goes along with the topic of this thread.

@Ryan.
Very true. There's no need to be a jerk about such issues.
Yamamaya

Next

Return to General