What Movies are you Watching?

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Postby mkalv » Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:30 am

Yesterday, I watched X-Men First Class. Solid movie, and I welcome a sequel.
No pain, no gain. I would prefer no pain, but still gain.
mkalv

Postby ShiroiHikari » Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:58 pm

I saw X-men First Class yesterday too. I liked it! It was really fun.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Mister » Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:15 pm

Blazing Saddles, Caddy SHack, and Full Metal Jacket
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=so6IQ4GYm2o&feature=related

I'll never be the same, after meeting you. I'll never Love the same after Loving you. i'll never breath the same after breathing in your Life. Lord you change me.
Mister

Postby GrubbTheFragger » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:26 pm

Green lantern......a bit of a disappointment
Follow and suggest movies.

Lightscameracritics.wordpress.com

Now running the 15 days of halloween.
GrubbTheFragger

Postby Yuki-Anne » Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:36 am

The Rocketeer. ^_^
New and improved Yuki-Anne: now with blog: http://anneinjapan.blog.com
Yuki-Anne

Postby Radical Dreamer » Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:24 pm

Just watched The New World! More movies ought to be like this. XD Absolutely gorgeous. I'm looking forward to seeing more of Terrence Malick's films in the (preferably near) future. XD
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Yuki-Anne » Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:00 pm

The Good, the Bad, the Weird. Exciting Korean flick. It was so offbeat and unpredictable; I really enjoyed it. That being said, it was super violent, and last night my dreams were super violent, too. :(
Yuki-Anne

Postby Yamamaya » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:30 pm

Downfall. Twas a fantastic German movie about the last days of Hitler.
Yamamaya

Postby Adorima » Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:10 am

Radical Dreamer (post: 1485527) wrote:Just watched The New World! More movies ought to be like this. XD Absolutely gorgeous. I'm looking forward to seeing more of Terrence Malick's films in the (preferably near) future. XD

I thought that was awesome too. Q'orianka Kilcher is a fantastic Pocahontas (esp. since she was only 14 in that movie!!!) which apparently, is more accurate to Pocahontas' actual age of 11 when she met John Smith. Though they did not fall in love as the disney movie says. Anyway, I agree it was extra-pretty and a very atmospheric-to-the-times love story.

Yamamaya (post: 1485616) wrote:Downfall. Twas a fantastic German movie about the last days of Hitler.

I still have to see that. I only see clips of it on youtube...lolz.
"Mien fuhrer...Stien...."

Also, I've recently watched Nowhere Boy. And the dude who played him was sooo much cuter than real John Lennon with a slight resemblance.

The movie's rated R, but for the exception of a few sex secenes and cursing, it was a little heartfelt and sympathetic to John's life.
Adorima

Postby Scarecrow » Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:23 am

True Grit... I liked it a lot. Very well done movie. The only thing that bugged me were the snakes. I couldn't believe how cheap they looked in an otherwise awesome film. I don't understand why they couldn't have used real ones or something (they did it in Indian Jones with a cobra, they can do it with rattle snakes). Yeah that whole snake part bugged me. Maybe because I'm too familiar with how real snakes are like that when the snake scene hit, I was totally taken out of the movie. But other than that, loved it.
"Take me down, shake me out. Give me a brain, that I might know You better"
Scarecrow

Postby bigsleepj » Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:03 am

Yamamaya (post: 1485616) wrote:Downfall. Twas a fantastic German movie about the last days of Hitler.

I have to agree. It is one of my 'favourite' movies ever, but as subject matter goes it beyond grim.
Unwise Toasting Sermon

The Sweet Smell of CAA
The Avatar Christian Ronin designed for me
An Avatar KhakiBlue gave to me
The avatar Termyt made for me

KhakiBlueSocks wrote:"I'm going to make you a prayer request you can't refuse..." Cue the violins. :lol:

Current Avatar by SirThinks2much - thank you very much! :thumb::)
bigsleepj

Postby GeneD » Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:31 am

Watched The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus last night; very pretty, interesting and strange. I loved the face-changes they used. This movie also makes me happy for the new spiderman.
I don't know what broke to make you like this, but I must be broken too if I'm standing here praising your destructiveness. -Rock (Black Lagoon)

As I had encountered kindness, I wanted to be kind myself. -Takashi Natsume (Natsume's Book of Friends)

MAL
Twitter
MOES: Promoting sane sigs.
GeneD

Postby Cognitive Gear » Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:39 am

Scarecrow (post: 1485631) wrote:True Grit... I liked it a lot. Very well done movie. The only thing that bugged me were the snakes. I couldn't believe how cheap they looked in an otherwise awesome film. I don't understand why they couldn't have used real ones or something (they did it in Indian Jones with a cobra, they can do it with rattle snakes). Yeah that whole snake part bugged me. Maybe because I'm too familiar with how real snakes are like that when the snake scene hit, I was totally taken out of the movie. But other than that, loved it.

As I understand it, it's actually very expensive to have any animals on set. It's even more expensive to have potentially lethal ones. (Insurance and all that.)
Cognitive Gear

Postby bigsleepj » Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:07 am

Cognitive Gear (post: 1485681) wrote:As I understand it, it's actually very expensive to have any animals on set. It's even more expensive to have potentially lethal ones. (Insurance and all that.)

Yes, my mind have blocked out the terrible CGI snakes, but that makes a lot of sense. I do remember that the movie had a relatively small budget and much of it went into getting the movie that authentic feel as well as marketing.
Unwise Toasting Sermon

The Sweet Smell of CAA
The Avatar Christian Ronin designed for me
An Avatar KhakiBlue gave to me
The avatar Termyt made for me

KhakiBlueSocks wrote:"I'm going to make you a prayer request you can't refuse..." Cue the violins. :lol:

Current Avatar by SirThinks2much - thank you very much! :thumb::)
bigsleepj

Postby ich1990 » Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:45 pm

Defiance

Hard to watch a movie like that without being effected.
Where an Eidolon, named night, on a black throne reigns upright.
ich1990

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:43 pm

Yuki-Anne (post: 1484991) wrote:The White Countess - I was browsing my local video store, and the cover of this movie told me everything I needed to know: Ralph Fiennes and Hiroyuki Sanada. In a period piece.

That's all I need to hear too :grin: Thanks!

I saw Dragonheart - awesome movie - and Dragonheart: A New Beginning - a horrible movie. Yay dragonz! :dance:
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby ShiroiHikari » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:45 am

Watched Harold and Maude today. I really, really liked this movie. Darkly funny, yet also very touching, and the two lead actors give fantastic, believable performances. I just finished it a little while ago but I think I may have to watch it again later!
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Cognitive Gear » Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:45 pm

It Happened One Night- A pretty classic Romantic Comedy, before they got just plain bad. Highly enjoyable, and pretty clever in terms of the jokes.

Stagecoach- I thought that I just didn't like the western, but I'm beginning to suspect that I just don't like the dark n' gritty thing. This movie was wonderful, and despite being predictable due to the stereotypes it helped create, I was still invested in the characters.

Citizen Kane- Still pretty awesome. Some things stood out way more to me on my second viewing. In particular, the early scene in which Mrs. Kane is signing custody of Charles and the maintenance of the mine over to Mr. Thatcher. In this scene, we have Mr. Thatcher and Mrs. Kane in the foreground, Mr. Kane in the mid ground, and Charles in the very back, playing. We are seeing Charles' childhood being signed away, with the only thing between Mr Thatcher and Charles' childhood is Mr. Kane, who does very little to stop it. I love it when visuals reflect the character drama.
Cognitive Gear

Postby Yuki-Anne » Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:39 pm

Harold and Maude - saw it mentioned, was curious. I didn't love it, but it was alright. Loved the dark humor.

500 Days of Summer - I really liked it. Worth a watch if you don't mind language and non-explicit sexual content.
Yuki-Anne

Postby Sheenar » Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:29 pm

Just finished watching Raiders of the Lost Ark for the I-don't-know-th time. Love that movie.
"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." 2 Corinthians 4:16-18

"Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves."
Sheenar

Postby TWWK » Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:02 pm

Watched True Grit - it was excellent. Everything I expected. Best western (that I've seen, at least) since Unforgiven.
Beneath the Tangles: Where Manga Meets the Maker

In the colors of Your goodness/In the scars that mark your skin/In the currency of Grace/Is where my song begins
~ "Economy of Mercy," Switchfoot
TWWK

Postby mkalv » Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:52 pm

I just saw Quantum of Solace, and with that, I have now seen every single James Bond film, including the parody. I'm pretty happy.
No pain, no gain. I would prefer no pain, but still gain.
mkalv

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:22 pm

I FINALLY SAW TANGLED!!!!!!!!!!!! :dance:

I loved it. It had that old magic charm of the Disney classics, which was such a breath of fresh air for a CG movie. I loved all the visual elements - the hair was gorgeous, as it kind of has to be, the geography was interesting, and somehow...I don't know. In talking with my sisters afterwards, I realized what makes it - and other really good CG movies - stand apart from the more lackluster CG movies. When you watch a really good traditionally animated movie, like Beauty and the Beast for example, it's definitely stylized and "cartoony," but you can suspend your disbelief and allow it all to seem real. Because of that, animation can achieve an effect no live-action movie ever could. Too often, CG just ends up looking plastic and stupid, and you can't suspend your disbelief enough to accept anything as really real. With Tangled, though, the characters felt real in the way the really good traditionally animated movies do, even though they were heavily stylized.

I also really liked their take on the story. It had all the greatness of the classics, that take the well-known fairy tale but embellish it and have fun with it to make it a completely different experience than sitting in your grandma's lap and having her read you the fairy tales. It was fun and ironic to watch it all playing out, knowing that certain things would have to happen (like Rapunzel leaving her tower), but not knowing quite how. The characters all felt alive and real to me, and they were allowed to be silly. I really liked that. No one took themselves too seriously in this movie, and I think that's got a lot to do with how good it is. Flynn Rider is an awesome character, probably my favorite departure from the whole "Prince Charming" archetype. I'd always imagined the prince in Rapunzel to be kinda like the prince in the Snow White movie - an opera-singing airhead with a Superman cape - so I really liked how witty and self-centered Flynn was. And the horse! :lol: :lol: Oh man, I adored the horse!

Pretty much the only thing I didn't immediately fall in love with was the music. I was really disappointed with the songs; most of the time I wouldn't have known they were even singing if the subtitles hadn't been in italics - that's how nonexistent the tunes were. I liked the love song well enough - beautiful visuals, and harmony is always a plus in my book - but it could never beat love songs like "A Whole New World." Some of the words were clever, but they didn't get anywhere near as awesome as the songs in, say, The Little Mermaid or Beauty and the Beast. They could sing, the melodies just weren't striking enough. I go around humming even the really lame Disney songs like "One love, I have but one love!" or "So this is love, MMM-MMM-MMM!!!" But I can't even remember a single chorus line from this movie. Maybe I would if I watched it several times, but I kind of doubt any songs other than the love song would be memorable enough for that.

So! This is a really good sign for the direction Disney's going, I think. My whole family cheered when John Lasseter's name came up in the credits ^_^

:rant:
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby Yuki-Anne » Sat Jun 25, 2011 5:47 am

The Beautician and the Beast. I loved this movie as a kid, and so I gave it a rewatch, and it's actually a bit funnier than I remember. Yes, it's a completely hokey concept, and Fran Drescher can be grating at times, but it's still an entertaining movie.
Yuki-Anne

Postby Atria35 » Sat Jun 25, 2011 2:24 pm

The Shining- Felt like watching a horror film, this fit the bill perfectly.

Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog
- my recent bout of depression made this the perfect show to watch. It's hilarious, yes, but it also strikes a chord with me now. And the songs are terrible catchy!
Atria35

Postby bakura91 » Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:43 pm

Yesterday I watched "Dune", I thought it was a great Scifi movie although alot of people don't lol. I also watched a good documentary "Protocals of Zion" about antisemitism in America Particularly after 9/11
bakura91

Postby GrubbTheFragger » Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:48 pm

bakura91 (post: 1487405) wrote:Yesterday I watched "Dune", I thought it was a great Scifi movie although alot of people don't lol. I also watched a good documentary "Protocals of Zion" about antisemitism in America Particularly after 9/11

The issue with Dune is the length and basically how i messed with source material, and its really goofy at times. Those are my issues at least, well the first and last not so much the middle having never read the books.
Follow and suggest movies.

Lightscameracritics.wordpress.com

Now running the 15 days of halloween.
GrubbTheFragger

Postby Yuki-Anne » Sun Jun 26, 2011 5:09 pm

bakura91 (post: 1487405) wrote:Yesterday I watched "Dune", I thought it was a great Scifi movie although alot of people don't lol.

Which version did you watch?
Yuki-Anne

Postby bakura91 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:11 am

Yuki-Anne (post: 1487421) wrote:Which version did you watch?

The Theatrical version, Im gonna read the book next
bakura91

Postby ShiroiHikari » Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:52 pm

Watched Harold and Maude again today because I am in love with it.

Also watched Hopscotch, which was fun and I enjoyed it a lot.

Then I watched The Secret of NIMH, which I had never seen before. (I wasn't allowed to watch it as a kid.) Um...great animation, uneven pacing, rushed ending. I'm glad I watched it but it wasn't the best thing ever.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Previous Next

Return to General Entertainment