Fundraiser?

Talk about anything in here.

Fundraiser?

Postby TheMewster » Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:32 pm

Anyone here ever been involved in a fundraiser? If so, what was it for, did it have any religious affiliation, and how did you feel doing it?
I ask this because this year, my school's Art Club did Tsunami Sticks. It had no religious affiliation, but I noticed a cross on one of the teacher's packets, so maybe she was just hiding that fact from the non-Christians in her class. :)
Basically, we had chopsticks donated to us, then we decorated them and sold them. All the money goes to Japan, and I think we made about $75. It felt great being with my art club friends (grandchildren according to an inside joke where I'm their grandfather; even the teacher sponsor is my grandchild; I started the joke) and knowing the money would help the country of members like Yuki-Anne.
So, have YOU participated in a fundraiser? Thanks for your replies and God bless.
:rock::jump:
So the poor has hope, and injustice shuts her mouth. ~Job 5:16 WEB~
For you are my hope, Lord Yahweh; my confidence from my youth. ~Psalm 71:5 WEB~
TheMewster

Postby Furen » Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:08 pm

I've been in many

30 Hour Famine (no eating for 30 hours for World vision)*

Hunger For Change (the churches from where I live all do 30 hours of not eating, similar to the 30 HF but we do it for different organizations like For Her Freedom [my friend started that one] and mission trip fundraising)*

Perchichini Walk-a-thon (Fundraiser for Easter Seals by walking/running 10k [Though this year they made it so if you couldn't do it, you can just do 5k])

I have done all of these more than once (except Hunger For Change because that started this year)

**Anything marked at the end with an asterisk was related to a religious charity/group**
And this I pray, that your love would abound still, more and more with real knowledge and all discernment. Be prepared to preach the gospel at a moment's notice. Do you know the gospel well enough to do so yourself? Be ready.
Furen

Postby TheMewster » Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:30 pm

Cool! I would do a hunger challenge but I heart food too much.
TheMewster

Postby TopazRaven » Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:12 pm

My mother and I are currently helping run a walk-a-thon that will take place in September for the non-kill cat shelter we volunteer at. I'm a bit said my list is so small, I should really be doing more. Also, don't worry Mew, I don't think I could ever do a hunger challange either. :lol:
For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

NIV, Romans 8:38-39.
TopazRaven

Postby Yuki-Anne » Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:43 pm

I approve of this thread. ^_^

Anyway, I've done a ton of fundraisers, more than I can really keep track of. I've done car washes, walk-a-thons, flower delivery, garage sales, bazaars, charity dinners... it's hard to thing of a kind of fundraiser I haven't participated in. Except a 5k. I'd love to do a 5k sometime. Since I was homeschooled, went to Bible college, and am now a missionary, most, if not all, were for religious organizations.

Oh, I just realized, I've never done a bake sale.

I love the creativity that people have in fundraising though. There are some genuinely awesome ideas out there. ^_^
New and improved Yuki-Anne: now with blog: http://anneinjapan.blog.com
Yuki-Anne

Postby Furen » Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:43 pm

TheMewster (post: 1484553) wrote:Cool! I would do a hunger challenge but I heart food too much.

Oh I do too (my weight can prove it...) but after a few hours of hunger pains, it's not all that bad.
And this I pray, that your love would abound still, more and more with real knowledge and all discernment. Be prepared to preach the gospel at a moment's notice. Do you know the gospel well enough to do so yourself? Be ready.
Furen

Postby Syreth » Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:48 pm

I'm usually involved in one to four fundraisers per month. Usually they're related to evangelism, but sometimes they're for an orphanage, or for a ministry that reaches out to needy families.
Syreth

Postby TheMewster » Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:34 am

That's cool so many of us are into fundraisers! I wish I could do bake sales... and what's a 5k, Yuki-Anne?
TheMewster

Postby Atria35 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:35 am

TheMewster (post: 1484649) wrote:That's cool so many of us are into fundraisers! I wish I could do bake sales... and what's a 5k, Yuki-Anne?

A 5k is a walk or run that it 5 kilometers long. You'll also hear about 10ks or longer, which are the same thing but longer distances.
Atria35

Postby TheMewster » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:39 am

Oh. I guess that marks 5ks off the list because I'm not that athletic. Thanks and God bless you Atria!
TheMewster

Postby Furen » Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:58 pm

a Kilometre is apparently equivalent to 0.62 miles
Furen

Postby Ella Edric » Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:37 pm

I've done the 30 hour famine before!! :D My brother and I were actually raised around $360 for it, not including the rest of the church. I think the whole youth group got about two thousand up for it! :) It was awesome and I felt really great after it was all done. The hunger isnt really that bad. lol
With our old youth group we did a fund raiser for something we have in our town called Hearts with a mission! It's basically an organization that provides shelter and care for homeless youth in [insert name of town here]. We went to our local speedway and sold tickets. Earned up a BUNCH of money! :D It was really fun and it made me feel really good. :)
And last year our youth group(not the same one as previously mentioned) did a car wash, but it was for us so that we could go to Christian camp. We would have done it again this year, but things didnt work out that way.
And I think theres probably more but I cant think of them right now. ^_^;
Ella Edric

Return to General