Things that were impossible when you were 5.

Talk about anything in here.

Things that were impossible when you were 5.

Postby mechana2015 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 4:17 pm

What things have you done today, that would have been impossible to do *at your current age* when you were 5?

*edited to avoid the obvious 'couldn't do x because I'm 5*

Rephrased: If you were suddenly transported back to the year when you were 5, *but were your current age* what have you done today that you suddenly wouldn't be able to do?

Try not to be repetitive, discussion and explanations for why you think something is impossible or what you think of other peoples comments would be awesome.

Starting off:

I was 5 in 1989, so I couldn't have accessed CAA and made this post, because neither CAA nor the internet as we know it existed.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby Atria35 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 4:54 pm

I paid a bill. When I was five, I didn't have a checking account, and most certainly would not have been able to fill out a check and send one in.
Atria35

Postby Radical Dreamer » Sat Jun 04, 2011 5:03 pm

I couldn't have worked a retail job, called/texted someone on a cellphone (because cellphones as we know them didn't exist yet), downloaded an episode of Doctor Who in 45 minutes' time, and couldn't have used the internet, period. XD

Oh also I was able to reach the kitchen sink without standing on my toes today. XD I've come so far since 1994. XD

Also I don't think I would've been able to drive anywhere, not only because driving across town as a 5 year old is illegal, but also because I probably wouldn't have been able to reach the pedals. XD

Socially speaking, I talked to a bunch of customers today. As a 5 year old, I was the shyest person ever, so the mere prospect of carrying a conversation with strangers would've paralyzed me. XDD
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby mechana2015 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 5:18 pm

Hmm clarification seems needed because I wrote the original post wrong.

If you were the age you are NOW, but were in the year you were five, what would be impossible to do?

The car I just drove wasn't made, so it would be impossible to own or drive one. (First year they were made was 1998)

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby Ante Bellum » Sat Jun 04, 2011 5:27 pm

I wouldn't have to listen to my brother on Xbox Live.
Ante Bellum

Postby Atria35 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 5:59 pm

Ah! Better clarification. I would not have been able to watch a DVD. They didn't exist in '93.
Atria35

Postby ClosetOtaku » Sat Jun 04, 2011 6:18 pm

I was 5 in 1967. What couldn't I do? A lot. A whole lot.

No Internet. No DVDs or CDs. It was vinyl and videotape (in reel-to-reel tape, not cassette form).

No wikipedia. If you wanted to know something, you went to the local library and looked it up. If you were lucky, your parents owned an encyclopedia. It never got updated.

No TiVo or home recording devices. If you missed an episode of your favorite show, you had to wait six months until the reruns to see it again.

No cellular phones. No satellite phones. Walkie-talkies if you were close, HAM radio for greater distances. Ma Bell owned voice from coast to coast.

No personal computers. No minis or micros. It was mainframes and punch cards.

You didn't have TSA screeners or even metal detectors. You just wished your family goodbye at the airport gate and got on the plane.

No console games. No video games. Not even electronic arcade games. You had pinball and mechanical type racing games. You spent a lot of time entertaining yourself with your imagination, because there wasn't much else.

We got along just fine, of course, but I wouldn't want to go back to that time, either.
"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world." -- C.S. Lewis
ClosetOtaku

Postby Nanao » Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:28 pm

Listened to podcasts on my iTouch, or played Twilight Princess on Wii. They weren't around yet ^____^
[color="RoyalBlue"]My help comes from the Lord, maker of heaven and earth.[/color] Psalm 121:2
[color="Pink"]@)[/color][color="Green"]}~`,~[/color] Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.
Nanao

Postby Davidizer13 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:06 pm

I'm making this post from a house that didn't exist when I was 5, from a computer with no tangible connection to an Internet connection dozens of times faster than anything that existed commercially when I was 5.
We are loved even though we suck.

Psalms 37:37 (NHEB)
Mark the perfect man, and see the upright, for there is a future for the man of peace.
Davidizer13

Postby Okami » Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:50 pm

Walking without excessive therapy.
~*~ Blessed to be Ryosuke's wife!
"We will be her church, the body of Christ coming alive to
meet her needs, to write love on her arms." ~ Jamie Tworkowski
Okami

Postby Darth_Kirby » Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:36 pm

It would be impossible for me to play Halo. lol
Join the Darth side... No really! Join! The pension plan is great and they match all your 401K's!! XD

[color="Cyan"]True freedom is the ability to do what you know is right without fear of persecution.[/color]

[color="Lime"]I finally understand that justice is not born out of the desire for revenge or hatred, but it is born out of love for one’s fellow man.[/color]

Darth_Kirby (post: 1481540) wrote:Ah, the beast of terminology... how many more arguments will you start... XP
Darth_Kirby

Postby rocklobster » Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:28 am

Read a complex book like Les Miserables. (I was the first person to learn to read in my kindergarten, but I don't think I could comprehend a book like that)
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Atria35 » Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:12 am

rocklobster (post: 1483022) wrote:Read a complex book like Les Miserables. (I was the first person to learn to read in my kindergarten, but I don't think I could comprehend a book like that)

She meant, what you could do if you were still the age you were now but went back in time to the year you were 5. I thought the same thing that you did at first until she clarified!
Atria35

Postby Winry » Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:10 am

I couldn't be a Harry Potter fan. Also couldn't have read the Night Angel series like I am right now because it didn't exist yet. I wouldn't be able to watch a Pixar full length movie.
"My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." 2 Corinthians 12:9

Phantom_Sorano 12:29 - Congrats Winry, you are the first CAA Chat Survivor.
Winry

Postby rocklobster » Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:29 am

Whoops. OK, I got one.
I couldn't watch reruns of Star Trek: The Next Generation. The original run hadn't started until 1987, six years after I finished kindergarten. Same goes for Thundercats.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."

my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Yamamaya » Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:31 am

I couldn't watch any DVDs at all.

1997 was the first year DVD players were introduced in the U.S.(aka tested). I was five at the time. However, the first DVD players were way too expensive for my family to purchase.
Yamamaya

Postby Psycho Molos » Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:34 am

I would be in PA and not OK...YAY!!!!!

Though saying that, I'd be cut off from any semblance of a big city from Oct to April due to snow especially since I couldn't drive anyway. No Internet then and no easy way to get music. Impossible for me to find anything new. Artists I appreciate now that weren't around then or were just about to come out: Europe, Selena, Nightwish, Def Leppard, Cannibal Corpse :-P

No Firefly but there was Star Trek TOS and Tom Baker era Dr Who

No barnes and noble I think

No DVD or cd or iTunes or cgi...
[color="Cyan"]Oh MOES! It's Czadek peddling the Black Pill for the Merv! Dark Evolution[/color]

Ich hasst Mein lieben.....
Psycho Molos

Postby rocklobster » Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:37 am

Psycho Molos (post: 1483050) wrote:No Firefly but there was Star Trek TOS and Tom Baker era Dr Who

That would be the best time to be a Doctor Who fan. No one, IMHO, has played the character better than Tom Baker. Certainly not as long.

my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Asuka Neko » Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:44 am

...I was five in 1999.

I can't think of much. There was no Paint Tool SAI? That would be bad.
~My Website~
[color="Cyan"]"Have you ever gotten the urge to do something crazy... and AWESOME!?" -Demyx[/color]
Asuka Neko

Postby Sheenar » Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:56 pm

I was 5 in 1990. 1990 was the year the Americans with Disabilities Act was sign into law by President Bush (H.W.)

I would not have been able to finish high school or attend college if I was my age back then --because the ADA didn't exist before 1990, and thus academic accommodations because of disability (504 in high school, ADA at university) didn't exist.
"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." 2 Corinthians 4:16-18

"Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves."
Sheenar

Postby ShiroiHikari » Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:59 pm

I wouldn't be able to go to the awesome local Mexican restaurant because it didn't exist in 1988.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:08 pm

I flitted about DA. I'm pretty sure that wasn't around in '99. XD;

And I surfed some other areas of the Web on my laptop. Not entirely sure if either was around when I was five, but I am sure they wouldn't have been common/cheap enough for me to have them. XD
Hats wrote:"Frodo! Cast off your [s]sins[/s] into the fire!"

EllaEdric 06:53 -IM SO UNEQUIPPED TO BE A MAN ITS NOT EVEN FUNNY.
FllMtl Novelist

Postby Sapphire225 » Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:18 pm

When I was five (in 1997), I couldn't use itunes or DVDs or drive, because the former two didn't exist (although DVDs came alot sooner than itunes) and I was obviously too young for the latter. Also, I didn't have too much responsibilities until November, when my borther was born.

What else...I couldn't use laptops nor could I access Google, because it was launched in 1998.
"Because the World isn't as cruel as you take it to be." ~ Celty, Durarara!!

Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you."
~Deuteronomy 31:6

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We live in a fantasy world, a world of illusion. The great task in life is to find reality. ~ Iris Murdoch
Sapphire225

Postby Mister » Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:45 pm

i couldn't post on CAA as a 23 year old when i was 5 XD

i couldn't spell Antidissestablishmenterianism <-----actual word

i couldn't speak french, dutch, russian, and read Kanji when i was 5..... still can't XD

i couldn't Each 50 chicken nuggets from McDonalds in 12mins 26 milliseconds <----- actually did
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=so6IQ4GYm2o&feature=related

I'll never be the same, after meeting you. I'll never Love the same after Loving you. i'll never breath the same after breathing in your Life. Lord you change me.
Mister

Postby Furen » Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:27 pm

Mister (post: 1483117) wrote:i couldn't Each 50 chicken nuggets from McDonalds in 12mins 26 milliseconds <----- actually did

would be more impressed at 5, but that's amazing O.O

I couldn't have babysat kids at 5
And this I pray, that your love would abound still, more and more with real knowledge and all discernment. Be prepared to preach the gospel at a moment's notice. Do you know the gospel well enough to do so yourself? Be ready.
Furen

Postby ShiroiHikari » Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:30 pm

A lot of you guys are still answering the question incorrectly. XD
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Okami » Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:52 pm

ShiroiHikari (post: 1483123) wrote:A lot of you guys are still answering the question incorrectly. XD

:lol: Looking back at my post, it could honestly go either way. Therapy wouldn't have been as available for me then as it was in my pre-teen/teen years, and as a five-year-old, I needed to wear orthotics and a leg brace for stabilization.
~*~ Blessed to be Ryosuke's wife!
"We will be her church, the body of Christ coming alive to
meet her needs, to write love on her arms." ~ Jamie Tworkowski
Okami

Postby armeck » Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:10 pm

i couldn't get a good nights sleep... oh wait i still can't do that
Just some punk kid that likes techno music
armeck

Postby Furen » Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:31 pm

armeckthefirst (post: 1483134) wrote:i couldn't get a good nights sleep... oh wait i still can't do that

^^ agreed
And this I pray, that your love would abound still, more and more with real knowledge and all discernment. Be prepared to preach the gospel at a moment's notice. Do you know the gospel well enough to do so yourself? Be ready.
Furen

Postby Winry » Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:17 pm

I definitely couldn't watch Youtube videos when I was five... but then again I doubt anyone on this site could have.
"My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." 2 Corinthians 12:9

Phantom_Sorano 12:29 - Congrats Winry, you are the first CAA Chat Survivor.
Winry

Next

Return to General