table manners

Talk about anything in here.

Postby UniqueAngelStar » Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:54 am

Table manners are important to me everywhere I go. It shows that you have proper home training and it's part of polite elliquite.

I don't usually put my elbow on the table while eating nor eat while talking. I excuse myself by reaching the food where is far from where I'm sitting.

But sadly sometimes I still bang my utensils on the plate loudly and slurp soda out of a cup even if I didn't mean to(nor not trying to do it). I tried to stop but it can be annoying to others, even that they warn me many times.
ImageImage
[color="DarkOrchid"]@)[/color][color="DarkGreen"]}~`,~[/color][color="DeepSkyBlue"] Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.[/color]
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]Proud member of[/color] MOES!
UniqueAngelStar

Postby aliveinHim » Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:41 am

I don't understand why it's unmannerly to put elbows on the table. I was reading this one book and it said your little girl is turning into a young lady when she asks to be excused to use the bathroom or to leave the table. I just get up and go. It used to tick my daddy off when we would leave the table to go to the bathroom so he laid the law down that we can only go to the bathroom before or after dinner (or whatever meal it is).
"And you He made alive, who were dead in trespasses and sins, in which you once walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit who now works in the sons of disobedience, among whom also we all once conducted ourselves in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind, and were by nature children of wrath, just as the others.
But God, who is rich in mercy, because of His great love with which He loved us, even when we were dead in trespasses, made us alive together with Christ (by grace you have been saved), and raised us up together, and made us sit together in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus, that in the ages to come He might show the exceeding riches of His grace in His kindness toward us in Christ Jesus." Ephesians 2:1-7

http://oribichan94.deviantart.com/
aliveinHim

Postby Nate » Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:40 pm

aliveinHim wrote:he laid the law down that we can only go to the bathroom before or after dinner (or whatever meal it is).

I'd just say "Okay" and pee on the seat and when he got mad I'd be like "Well you said we couldn't get up, and I had to go."

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Yamamaya » Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:12 pm

Nate (post: 1482518) wrote:I'd just say "Okay" and pee on the seat and when he got mad I'd be like "Well you said we couldn't get up, and I had to go."

Exactly.

To be honest, I can't stand people who act like that. "Well excuuseee me, but I didn't have to go to the bathroom before dinner but now I do, so what do you want me to do, take a dump in my chair?"

I mean srsly.
Yamamaya

Postby goldenspines » Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:20 pm

aliveinHim (post: 1482487) wrote:I don't understand why it's unmannerly to put elbows on the table.
Fun fact: I read that as "unmanly" at first.

Putting elbow(s) on the table is not as unmannerly as disrespectful, depending on the company.

Casual setting (with friends or even close family): Elbows on the table are perfectly fine and make you seem more relaxed in some cases.

Professional or Formal setting: Putting your elbows on the table implies that you aren't taking this meeting with the other party seriously (or seriously at all). And in a formal dinner, this can come across as quite disrespectful towards your host and the others around the table. Elbows on the table can also been seen as arrogance in this setting. If you put your elbows on the table, you look less professional and tidy and often stand off-ish, thus implying that you don't really care because you do what you want no matter what anyone says (I hey, if you don't honestly care, then yeah, whatever, right? XD; ).

/goldy's amateur etiquette advice
goldenspines

Postby Nate » Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:24 pm

So then good manners = being uncomfortable?

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby goldenspines » Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:30 pm

Nate (post: 1482532) wrote:So then good manners = being uncomfortable?
More like good manners = being humble = being sometimes uncomfortable.

Being classy can be painful at times. D:
goldenspines

Postby ADXC » Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:58 pm

goldenspines (post: 1482533) wrote:Being classy is painful at all times. D:

Fixed. XD
ADXC

Postby Darth_Kirby » Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:04 pm

lol wow... I didn't think there would be such a debate about manners. :) But to add my two cents, I believe that manners are generally a sign of respect to your guests and hosts to show that they are indeed important enough to have you withhold certain behavior while in their presence. Sure, sometimes it gets rediculous with all the rules you have to follow, and when it becomes more about following rules than respecting your guests/hosts then I think it's not wrong to tell the "rules" to jump in a lake. lol
Join the Darth side... No really! Join! The pension plan is great and they match all your 401K's!! XD

[color="Cyan"]True freedom is the ability to do what you know is right without fear of persecution.[/color]

[color="Lime"]I finally understand that justice is not born out of the desire for revenge or hatred, but it is born out of love for one’s fellow man.[/color]

Darth_Kirby (post: 1481540) wrote:Ah, the beast of terminology... how many more arguments will you start... XP
Darth_Kirby

Postby ADXC » Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:10 pm

Meh, I determine what manners I will follow and which ones I do not. Rarely do I ever have to eat with guests that I would consider important or any for that matter so it does not matter to me that much.
ADXC

Postby aliveinHim » Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:00 pm

Nate (post: 1482518) wrote:I'd just say "Okay" and pee on the seat and when he got mad I'd be like "Well you said we couldn't get up, and I had to go."

Note to self: Don't take advice from Nate ;)
"And you He made alive, who were dead in trespasses and sins, in which you once walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit who now works in the sons of disobedience, among whom also we all once conducted ourselves in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind, and were by nature children of wrath, just as the others.
But God, who is rich in mercy, because of His great love with which He loved us, even when we were dead in trespasses, made us alive together with Christ (by grace you have been saved), and raised us up together, and made us sit together in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus, that in the ages to come He might show the exceeding riches of His grace in His kindness toward us in Christ Jesus." Ephesians 2:1-7

http://oribichan94.deviantart.com/
aliveinHim

Postby armeck » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:31 am

Table manners were never very important to me until this yeat at vo-tech the only other two all day students in my class were girls, and we ate lunch together every day... And that was motivation for me to at least be semi proper XD lol
Just some punk kid that likes techno music
armeck

Previous

Return to General