table manners

Talk about anything in here.

table manners

Postby aliveinHim » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:04 pm

I consider myself a feral creature. Around guests who are my parents' friends, I'm super mannerly. When it's my besties and my family at the table, I can be a complete pig (I don't put my feet on the table nor chew with my mouth open). Are table manners always important or overrated?
"And you He made alive, who were dead in trespasses and sins, in which you once walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit who now works in the sons of disobedience, among whom also we all once conducted ourselves in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind, and were by nature children of wrath, just as the others.
But God, who is rich in mercy, because of His great love with which He loved us, even when we were dead in trespasses, made us alive together with Christ (by grace you have been saved), and raised us up together, and made us sit together in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus, that in the ages to come He might show the exceeding riches of His grace in His kindness toward us in Christ Jesus." Ephesians 2:1-7

http://oribichan94.deviantart.com/
aliveinHim

Postby ChristianKitsune » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:10 pm

I think table manners are pretty important giving the situation.
If you're eating pizza around a coffee table with friends I think things can be a little more lax. But if you are sitting down at a restaraunt or at the table, then I think is the time to try to remember what our parents taught us.

I have this habit of resting my forearm on the table while I eat. (not elbows) and slouching a little, especially if I'm eating soup so I don't spill anything XD. But That's not very good posture nor is it proper etiquette. I try not to talk with my mouth full of food, or smack my lips XD.

But I think manners can also be very intimidating, I was once told while ago I was eating something like a breakfast burrito (which is a pretty squishy food) that I swallow loudly? I'm not sure if that's something anyone can really avoid especially given the type of food being eaten. That comment has made me more self conscience of how I eat though... and I don't like eating in front of people I don't know. ^^;

I also believe that manners are cultural, and for some families these things may not matter or may even be considered rude to follow "Correct manners."
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
Web-Manga Hosted by: The Project
ChristianKitsune

Location: In my sketchbook of wonderment and puffy pink clouds! *\^o^/*

Postby ADXC » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:37 pm

Honestly, they do not matter so much to me. However, I try to be civilized around guests and such.

At home, I rarely at the dinner table. I mostly just eat by myself except for like special occasions such as Thanksgiving, New Years, or the 4th of July. But at school, I have to eat in the cafeteria so I will sit with people there.
ADXC

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:49 pm

I don't care so much about elbows on the table and what not, but as long as everyone chews with their mouths closed, I'm good.
Shao Feng-Li

Postby Tamachan319 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:55 pm

It's important, but not too important. Obviously (like everybody else has said), things like chewing with your mouth closed are important. But elbows on the table or things like that- meh.
[font="Comic Sans MS"]"You can't get a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me."
-C. S. Lewis[/font]
"MOES: Sig. Or sig not. There is no scroll."
According to EllaEdric, my real name is.... "TAMAMAMAMAAMMAAM".

[font="Courier New"]
I love my flute![/font]
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Tamachan319

Location: Someplace, somewhere. I'm specific about these things, you see.

Postby Nate » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:55 pm

Wait, elbows on the table is bad manners? Since when? I always eat like that, since I was a kid. How is that bad manners? People are weird.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby ShiroiHikari » Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:57 pm

I put my elbows on the table all the fricking time, partly because at restaurants the tables are sometimes really far away from the seats no matter what you do, and I'd rather lean over my plate slightly than drop food all over myself.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby ADXC » Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:09 pm

Yeah I put my elbows on the table all the time. I don't really see why it's such a table manner faux pas.
ADXC

Postby aliveinHim » Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:12 pm

How about reaching across the table?
"And you He made alive, who were dead in trespasses and sins, in which you once walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit who now works in the sons of disobedience, among whom also we all once conducted ourselves in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind, and were by nature children of wrath, just as the others.
But God, who is rich in mercy, because of His great love with which He loved us, even when we were dead in trespasses, made us alive together with Christ (by grace you have been saved), and raised us up together, and made us sit together in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus, that in the ages to come He might show the exceeding riches of His grace in His kindness toward us in Christ Jesus." Ephesians 2:1-7

aliveinHim

Postby ShiroiHikari » Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:17 pm

I usually ask for people to pass me stuff if I can't reach it.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Atria35 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:25 pm

aliveinHim (post: 1482313) wrote:How about reaching across the table?

Dangerous. Your clothes can get into the food (eeewwww! for all parties involved). Partially why it's considered rude.

The elbows thing comes from when there wasn't so much space at the table, and there just wasn't room for people to have their elbows up.
Atria35

Postby shooraijin » Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:37 pm

I live alone. That solves the table manners problem.
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby ADXC » Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:38 pm

Atria35 (post: 1482316) wrote:
The elbows thing comes from when there wasn't so much space at the table, and there just wasn't room for people to have their elbows up.

So, we can kinda disregard this one unless we're eating at a very small table, right?
ADXC

Postby goldenspines » Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:00 pm

I've always viewed manners (at the table or elsewhere) more of a respect showing practice towards another person(s), rather than "This is how you should act all the time whenever you eat regardless of anything."
Therefore, you have to be aware of the others who are eating with you. Be considerate towards them. If you know they don't care about you putting your elbows on the table or even chewing with your mouth open, then who cares? You're in a casual setting with friends, you all can lighten up. And hey, if you're alone, you can do whatever the heck you want. XD;;
But if you are around company where that kind of behavior can be seen as obnoxious or rude (such as a family or business setting), it's best of avoid more casual manners. (i.e. If I go out to a nice dinner with someone, I will feel more respected and cared about if they take the time to have proper manners and not eat as they usually do in a more casual setting).

I dunno, though. I tend to be rather stingy when it comes to manners. XD;
goldenspines

Postby MrKrillz0r » Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:02 pm

I put my elbows on the table and take about the space of two persons, else I can barely eat. I also have tendacy to eat very fast and according to my mum it usually doesn't look that good either... I don't see why you would care about how it looks while your eating, just enjoy the food to the max!

*Edit*

I do however understand there are times when manners is important, but I was talking about eating in general XD
Game on!
MrKrillz0r

Postby ABlipinTime » Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:11 pm

My family has an unwritten book of mild table manners that are usually followed and occasionally broken. M mom holds the keys to the book, and my dad takes liberties every so often. We're usually pretty good around guests though. Courtesy is important; letting your guests or siblings and fam take their share first. I believe God wants us to be courteous.
- God is always with us, especially when we feel most alone.
http://ablipintime.deviantart.com/
Htom Sirveaux (post: 1435089) - "We should all start speaking telepathically."
Midori (post: 1457302) "Sometimes, if I try hard, I can speak in English."
(post: 1481465) "Overthinking is an art."
Goldenspines - "Fighting the bad guys and rescuing princesses from trolls and all that. "
ABlipinTime

Postby Phantom_Sorano » Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:14 pm

Manners matter. I always try to adhere to them.
Jeremiah 29:11-"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord,"plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."
"All the world's a stage and all the men and women merely players; they have their entrances and their exits and one man in his time plays many parts."-Will Shakespeare
@)}~ carry this rose in your sig, as thanks, to all the CAA Moderators
Phantom_Sorano

Postby Nanao » Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:29 pm

Manners are pretty important in my family. I do think it's important to be polite both to company and family. In some ways I almost feel like I should treat my family better than I do guests because they are the most important people in my life, but often it doesn't work that way. I guess it's a difference between actual manners and respect...
[color="RoyalBlue"]My help comes from the Lord, maker of heaven and earth.[/color] Psalm 121:2
[color="Pink"]@)[/color][color="Green"]}~`,~[/color] Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.
Nanao

Postby Makachop^^128 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:22 pm

I have the same manners at the table whether it be with guest or my family or friends. I am not like extremely strict with myself but I eat with my mouth shut, elbows not on table and use knife and fork I do all that, Also take small bites lol. It seems to me having good table manners is being caring to others around you, I don't know maybe thats just me.
"We're not gonna die. We can't die, Bendis. You know why? Because we are so...very...pretty. We are just too pretty for God to let us die."-Mal

http://www.facebook.com/ShaylaChan

http://www.shelfari.com/shaylabot
http://myanimelist.net/profile/ShaylaBot
Makachop^^128

Postby Ally-Ann » Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:35 pm

ChristianKitsune (post: 1482253) wrote:I have this habit of resting my forearm on the table while I eat. (not elbows) and slouching a little, especially if I'm eating soup so I don't spill anything XD.

This.

I always hate it when someone at the table (my brother) belches out loud or chews with their mouth open. Table manners are very important to me, even if I don't have any friends over.
[color="Lime"]My Fictionpress account[/color]! http://www.fictionpress.com/u/740837/Ally-Ann

[color="Yellow"]My Fanfiction account[/color]! http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2401061/ArmyAngel316

My nicknames! [color="Pink"]~*[/color][color="palegreen"]Ally[/color][color="pink"]*~[/color] [color="white"](>[/color][color="Cyan"]Mochi-chan[/color][color="White"]<)[/color]

I like mochi. ^^

I question my [color="DarkOrchid"]sanity[/color]. (._.)

Operation: Blackout
Ally-Ann

Postby Yamamaya » Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:37 pm

Manners are for the weak. I follow the Viking way of eating one's food like the Trolls of the north.

But I do try to follow some table manners.
Yamamaya

Postby Furen » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:31 pm

Important.
And this I pray, that your love would abound still, more and more with real knowledge and all discernment. Be prepared to preach the gospel at a moment's notice. Do you know the gospel well enough to do so yourself? Be ready.
Furen

Postby SailorDove » Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:02 pm

Ettiquite by Dove

1) Manners matter, but people matter more.
2) Go with the flow and the occasion.
3) When in doubt which fork or spoon to use watch the host.
4) And for the love of God, please don't discuss disgusting things while other people are eating.
5) Ask and you shall receive.
6) Very few people are allergic to whatever dessert is being served.
Naruto Fanfic: Kokoro of Konoha by Sailor Dove

What is the power of the weak and the weakness of power?

What would the butterfly effects be with an OC with no chakra or ninja inclinations but a coveted special sensing ability? But that's not her only closely guarded secret. Psst, don't tell the hyper blond boy she hates ramen.
SailorDove

Postby Nate » Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:17 pm

SailorDove just made me think of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THYVh9AhtLk

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:10 am

I've never understood how elbows on the table is bad manners. Other than that one, I believe table manners are very imporant and just part of showing respect and being mature. I don't get all the fancy pancy table manners though, with about a gazillion things to remember (and most of them are ridiculous anyway!
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby Ally-Ann » Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:49 am

Warrior 4 Jesus (post: 1482422) wrote:I've never understood how elbows on the table is bad manners. Other than that one, I believe table manners are very imporant and just part of showing respect and being mature. I don't get all the fancy pancy table manners though, with about a gazillion things to remember (and most of them are ridiculous anyway!

Like, the fork on the left? And the difference between a dinner fork and a dessert and salad fork? Nah, those aren't really fancy. Common knowledge, right? :P
[color="Lime"]My Fictionpress account[/color]! http://www.fictionpress.com/u/740837/Ally-Ann

[color="Yellow"]My Fanfiction account[/color]! http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2401061/ArmyAngel316

My nicknames! [color="Pink"]~*[/color][color="palegreen"]Ally[/color][color="pink"]*~[/color] [color="white"](>[/color][color="Cyan"]Mochi-chan[/color][color="White"]<)[/color]

I like mochi. ^^

I question my [color="DarkOrchid"]sanity[/color]. (._.)

Operation: Blackout
Ally-Ann

Postby shooraijin » Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:10 am

And for the love of God, please don't discuss disgusting things while other people are eating.

This is of course tailored to the occasion. Since virtually everyone in my family is involved in the medical profession somehow, we end up having table conversations that would probably curdle people's blood in other houses.

I usually have to be careful about this elsewhere. :P
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby aliveinHim » Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:28 am

I hate it when people do that. I'm super squeamish and if I hear one gross thing at the table, there goes my appetite. It really helps when my little brother's friends are over.

aliveinHim

Postby Sheenar » Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:33 am

I'm an Ag major, so around certain people, the usual dinner conversation is in the realm of palpating cows and other things. It doesn't bother me --I'm not grossed out by those kinds of things.

I am grossed out, however, about bugs. Talking about bugs in detail ("I saw the BIGGEST roach yesterday...") is not acceptable dinner conversation to me.
"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." 2 Corinthians 4:16-18

"Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves."
Sheenar

Postby Xeno » Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:42 am

I sometimes have my elbows on the table, but for the most part I keep them off. Even when I'm eating alone at home or out somewhere I practice table manners since they were drilled into my parents from a very young age. I don't chew with my mouth open, napkin almost always goes onto my lap, I cut reasonable bite sizes out of my food, and I stick to the age-old tradition of things not to be discussed around the dinner table: religion, politics, and gastro-intestinal diseases.
Xeno

Next

Return to General