"Starter" anime

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Postby Winry » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:25 pm

Agreed.
"My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." 2 Corinthians 12:9

Phantom_Sorano 12:29 - Congrats Winry, you are the first CAA Chat Survivor.
Winry

Postby ich1990 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:12 pm

mechana2015 (post: 1471114) wrote:Paprika is an especially bad recommendation. It's practically a David Lynch or Terry Gilliam film, and really takes a certain sort of person to watch and enjoy it, regardless of its status as an anime. I would only recommend it as a good first anime in the case of the persons favorite movie of all time being Eraserhead or Brazil though.
Those were the kinds of people I was referring too. Perhaps I hang out with an odd crowd but a lot of people I know like that style of movie. If not, like TSD said you could sub in Millennium Actress for a more widespread appeal.
Where an Eidolon, named night, on a black throne reigns upright.
ich1990

Postby mysngoeshere56 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:57 pm

For me, it'd really depend on which friend I was recommending anime to and what he/she would be looking for. The titles that got me into anime were Tsubasa Chronicle and D.N.Angel, but I don't think those are common "first anime"... Well technically Pokemon was my first anime, but I only watched a little bit back when I was in 1st grade and figured it was just a cartoon. XD The other two were the first ones I watched in the actual knowledge that I was watching anime.

As for my friends, I'd say they'd probably think that Rurouni Kenshin, Naruto, and/or Fruits Basket would be good ones.
-Sno
mysngoeshere56

Postby ShiroiHikari » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:24 am

Paprika never really seemed "David Lynch" to me. They both use trippy imagery but the tone and feel of Paprika is worlds apart from, say, Eraserhead. (Yes I have seen Eraserhead; no I do not recommend it.) Regardless, I do agree that one should be cautious recommending Paprika (or any Satoshi Kon) to people whose tastes lean toward more conventional fare.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby mechana2015 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:37 am

I say that mostly because I love Paprika, but a lot of anime fans I recommended it to didn't like it, let alone the reaction I got when some non anime fans saw it and I asked about it. The reactions were pretty similar to ones I've heard for Brazil and Eraserhead. : /

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby ShiroiHikari » Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:00 am

That's kind of sad. :<
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Lilac#18 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:56 pm

[color="Plum"]Tenchi Muyo/Universe, Sailor Moon, like others had said. Also Fushigi Yugi, HeartCatch PreCure, Dragon Ball Z, Naruto and Naruto Shippuden.[/color]
FKA Selenite
B careful of bad habits u form when ur single. In most cases u'll carry them over into ur marriage! - Damita Haddon

"Apparently, it takes more than just the sword." - Mirai (Future) Trunks

24When you lie down, you shall not be afraid; yes, you shall lie down, and your sleep shall be sweet. Proverbs 3:24 AMP

@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.

Lilac#18

Postby adam.skinner » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:59 am

I think movies like Spirited Away, The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, and Summer Wars are great introductions to anime. However, people who might watch a movie still wouldn't watch a series.

Having a good dub is definitely a plus, since one of the main reasons (aside from a general prejudice based on their experience with American cartoons) they shy away from anime is the fact that they're subtitled.

While each person has their own level of interest in different anime genres, I think comedies are your best bet to start with. They have a wide, general appeal.

Some of my pics would be:

Azumanga Daiou*
Minami-ke
Ichigo Mashimaro
School Rumble*
Toradora!
Kannagi
Nodame Cantabile
Rec (this series is particularly short)
Working!

* = decent dub

These are all solid, enjoyable comedies, ranging from wacky, random and episodic (Azumanga Daiou) to fairly romantic plot continuity (Toradora!, Nodame Cantabile).
adam.skinner

Postby TheMewster » Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:27 pm

I got started on Pokemon, but it's not a good idea for introducing anime to teens and adults, as they will think anime is just little kid junk. And considering the stuff out there, you DO NOT wanna introduce anime to kids. Azumanga Daioh is mah fave anime. Don't use Lucky Star to introduce people to anime ever. I'm an anime fan (Meh, I was LIVING for anime before I started living for Christ) and I don't get most of the jokes (which usually have to do with obscure anime). Haven't finished Lucky Star or really watched it in forever, though, so check it yourself. Haven't watched any Miyazaki movies, but they sound good.
Like ShiroiHikari said, WATCH IT WITH THEM. Sorry to rain on your anime parade with a dose of religion, but it would also be a great opportunity to evangelize if anything in the movie or show reminds you of God or Jesus as well as get them actually watching it. God bless you all!
So the poor has hope, and injustice shuts her mouth. ~Job 5:16 WEB~
For you are my hope, Lord Yahweh; my confidence from my youth. ~Psalm 71:5 WEB~
TheMewster

Postby Atria35 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:34 pm

TheMewster (post: 1473030) wrote:And considering the stuff out there, you DO NOT wanna introduce anime to kids.

As long as you're monitoring and talking with kids about what they're watching, that's not much of a problem. After all, most anime a kid watches will be on tv (pokemon, Yu-Gi-Oh, various others shown on Saturday morning) and those are aired to the general public.
Atria35

Postby rocklobster » Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:33 pm

I think Miyazaki movies are great starters for kids, as well as Pokemon.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby mechana2015 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:23 pm

TheMewster (post: 1473030) wrote:And considering the stuff out there, you DO NOT wanna introduce anime to kids.

I think this is a bit too broad a statement.
Most media have a dark or 'bad' side to them. Live action movies, live action TV, non japanese animation, video games, even books and comics. Unless you're willing to refuse kids access to ALL media for this reason I see it as an unreasonable and biased stance to single anime out for having content that isn't child safe. The US movie market is much worse than the anime market, considering it produces about 5 G rated movies to theaters per year (several of which are cartoons anyways). Would you not introduce anyone under teen age to live action movies?

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby Winry » Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:32 pm

I agree. I think it's unreasonable to say anime is any worse than anything else out there kids watch. It's like generalizing all American cartoons are bad for kids because the Simpsons and Family Guy, etc exist. Not all "cartoons" and anime are made for children. I think there are definitely anime series out there appropriate for kids. Of course, I wouldn't let them run wild and watch just any anime series, just like I wouldn't let them watch any tv show they felt like.
"My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." 2 Corinthians 12:9

Phantom_Sorano 12:29 - Congrats Winry, you are the first CAA Chat Survivor.
Winry

Postby Maokun » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:18 pm

Pokemon is absolutely harmless entertainment for kids. In fact, every episode drives a positive value such as courage, loyalty, kindness, etc. If I had a kid, I'd sit down with him to watch it and then discuss it with him to make sure he got all the good stuff.

For young teens I'd pick something like Naruto. It has action and comedy that appeals to them but also deals with important themes for that age such as the need to belong, the importance of sticking to your guns, etc.

For older teens I'd suggest something brainier and more serious. People at that age is very insecure and will shoot down anything that might seem like insulting their intelligence or make them appear uncool. Death Note, Paranoia Agent or The Girl Who Leapt Through Time seem spot on for them. Also, That Series That Shall Not Be Discussed In This Forum, though some would obviously disagree.

For adults I'd go with Cowboy Bebop, Monster or Black Lagoon, i.e. a quality TV series where the fact that it's Japanese or animated is secondary.

Then again, generalizations are useful only to a extent. Each person's taste and personality also should be considered. For example, for the right person, Haibane Renmei would be an awesome entry to the anime world but most likely a turn off for everyone else; for others, something really dark like Hellsing would do the trick, but that's obviously not for everyone, and so on.
Maokun

Postby Atria35 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:21 pm

Maokun (post: 1473423) wrote:Pokemon is absolutely harmless entertainment for kids. In fact, every episode a positive value such as courage, loyalty, kindness, etc. If I had a kid, I'd sit down with him to watch it and then discuss it with him to make sure he got all the good stuff.

My grandma thought it promoted animal cruelty. And said so loudy to everyone.

And then my six-year-old self looked at her and told her it was just a cartoon.
Atria35

Postby Yamamaya » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:22 pm

Show your little kids End of Evangelion. This will make them grow up to be fantastic people and it will not scar them for life.

School Days is also a good show to give your kids the talk.
Yamamaya

Postby Juliannesan » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:36 am

I heard that Honey & Clover was made for people that had never watched or had an interest to anime before. and I've been watching it recently, and I think for maybe mid-teens and up would find that show interesting if they're into drama at all.
ImageImage
Juliannesan

Postby Narnian » Mon May 09, 2011 7:17 pm

Last Exile hands down. Better to spoil new anime converts on one of the best animes ever than introduce them to a half baked hentai prone anime. My first introduction to anime was Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, and Wolf's Rain. While they are good stories, for the most part, they are not something a twelve or thirteen year old should be watching no matter how mature he/she is mentally. (No wonder I have such a high tolerance for drugs, sex, and violence now. Sorry, mid-post realization.)

Last Exile is my first choice, but Fullmetal Alchemist and ARIA are other good choices. The age and maturity level of the viewer is also important as well. For instance, I started my younger sister on anime with ARIA since she's not yet mature enough to completely understand the violence in Last Exile, but I usually suggest Last Exile and/or FMA to my older college friends as they are more mature and, often, able to handle the violence better. That's my philosophy regarding anime introduction anyway.
Narnian

Postby Tamachan319 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:19 pm

My first thought when I read this thread was: "Fruits Basket would be a good one."
Then I read through the entire thread. And guess what? Fruits Basket has been recommended many times already. So I'll just...add my recommendation.
[font="Comic Sans MS"]"You can't get a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me."
-C. S. Lewis[/font]
"MOES: Sig. Or sig not. There is no scroll."
According to EllaEdric, my real name is.... "TAMAMAMAMAAMMAAM".

[font="Courier New"]
I love my flute![/font]
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Tamachan319

Location: Someplace, somewhere. I'm specific about these things, you see.

Postby Darth_Kirby » Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:36 pm

Yamamaya (post: 1473426) wrote:Show your little kids End of Evangelion. This will make them grow up to be fantastic people and it will not scar them for life.

School Days is also a good show to give your kids the talk.

uh... you know, some people might not know you're being sarcastic. lol

To Winry: My first animes were as follows

Card Captors
Yu-gi-oh
Pokemon

As for what I think are the best starters I thinkg that Card Captors, K-ON, Nastume Yuujin Chou, and Death Note are great starters depending on your taste in media.
Join the Darth side... No really! Join! The pension plan is great and they match all your 401K's!! XD

[color="Cyan"]True freedom is the ability to do what you know is right without fear of persecution.[/color]

[color="Lime"]I finally understand that justice is not born out of the desire for revenge or hatred, but it is born out of love for one’s fellow man.[/color]

Darth_Kirby (post: 1481540) wrote:Ah, the beast of terminology... how many more arguments will you start... XP
Darth_Kirby

Postby ShiroiHikari » Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:39 pm

Last Exile, best anime ever?

*tapes her own mouth shut.*
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Maokun » Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:47 pm

Darth_Kirby (post: 1482302) wrote:Card Captors

No, no, no, AAARGH, no!

*weeps for you and for this ugly, sometimes horrible world*
Maokun

Postby Atria35 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:51 pm

Darth_Kirby (post: 1482302) wrote:As for what I think are the best starters I think that Card Captor Sakura... are great starters depending on your taste in media.

Now you might be onto something!
Atria35

Postby LadyRushia » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:38 pm

My thought process with recommendations is basically a balance between known classics and series that don't rely too heavily on previous experience with anime tropes. So, it basically goes like this:

-Any Miyazaki, specifically Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke, Nausica, and Kiki's Delivery Service

-Cowboy Bebop

-Rurouni Kenshin

-Any short series because they take less time to go through

Long-running shonen series are out because 500 episodes is a ridiculous amount for someone to go through unless they become obsessed. I might add Soul Eater as a recommendation, but I'll have to see more of it before I'm sure.
Fanfiction (updated 1/1/11)-- Lucky Star--Ginsaki ch. 4
[color="Magenta"]Sometimes I post things.[/color]
Image Image Image
LadyRushia

Postby AngelicTotoro » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:09 pm

Well if you're introducing it to children, I'd say Pokemon is a good choice... just because I think they'd like all the cute little pokemon. =3
Also, Superbook, Flying house, Maple town, Grimms Fairy Tales, Adventures of the little Koala (if you can find them.) Hello Kitty & Friends, Hamtaro, My Neighbor Totoro, Allison and Lillia... and The Mysterious Cities of Gold is classic. (That last one i'd actually recommend to some adults.) All of them are dubbed of course, (Okay, I don't know if A&L is.) since I'm talking about like 3 and up here.
(Also I watched most of these as a child so I know kids like these from experience. :thumb: Totally the right things to get kids into good, smart, funny, clean anime. ^^)
The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want. He makes me lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside quiet waters. He restores my soul; He guides me in paths of righteousness For His name's sake. Even though I walk though the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and Thy staff, they comfort me. Thou dost prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; Thou hast anointed my head with oil; My cup overflows. Surely goodness and lovingkindness will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever. Psalm 23
AngelicTotoro

Postby Maokun » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:36 pm

Atria35 (post: 1482390) wrote:Now you might be onto something!

The fair lady reads me like a book.
Maokun

Postby Cognitive Gear » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:53 pm

Generally speaking, I don't think that there are really any universally good animes to start on. I generally just recommend them based on what I know about their taste in movies and TV shows. For instance, if someone likes Terry Gilliam movies, then Satoshi Kon stuff is a surefire recommendation. If they like character based serials with a touch of the supernatural, then Baccano! tends to be a great starter.

It really depends.
Cognitive Gear

Postby ich1990 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:02 pm

Narnian (post: 1477957) wrote:Last Exile hands down. Better to spoil new anime converts on one of the best animes ever than introduce them to a half baked hentai prone anime. My first introduction to anime was Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, and Wolf's Rain. While they are good stories, for the most part, they are not something a twelve or thirteen year old should be watching no matter how mature he/she is mentally. (No wonder I have such a high tolerance for drugs, sex, and violence now. Sorry, mid-post realization.)
Are you specifically attempting to troll, or are you serious?
Where an Eidolon, named night, on a black throne reigns upright.
ich1990

Postby Atria35 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:29 pm

AngelicTotoro (post: 1482410) wrote:Well if you're introducing it to children, I'd say Pokemon is a good choice... just because I think they'd like all the cute little pokemon. =3
Also, Superbook, Flying house, Maple town, Grimms Fairy Tales, Adventures of the little Koala (if you can find them.) Hello Kitty & Friends, Hamtaro, My Neighbor Totoro, Allison and Lillia... and The Mysterious Cities of Gold is classic. (That last one i'd actually recommend to some adults.) All of them are dubbed of course, (Okay, I don't know if A&L is.) since I'm talking about like 3 and up here.
(Also I watched most of these as a child so I know kids like these from experience. :thumb: Totally the right things to get kids into good, smart, funny, clean anime. ^^)

One more you should add to that list is Erin (AKA Beast Player Erin). While it's really too bad you can only find it on Crunchyroll and it's only subbed, it is right up there with Miyazaki in terms of intelligence and care that went into the story, and it's actually pretty child-friendly. You should check it out sometime!
Atria35

Postby AngelicTotoro » Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:22 pm

Atria35 (post: 1482871) wrote:One more you should add to that list is Erin (AKA Beast Player Erin). While it's really too bad you can only find it on Crunchyroll and it's only subbed, it is right up there with Miyazaki in terms of intelligence and care that went into the story, and it's actually pretty child-friendly. You should check it out sometime!

I actually watched Kemono no Souja Erin a few months ago, and I really liked it! The only thing I didn't like was the very last episode, which, imo, really sucked. :comp:
Just because they didn't actually clear some stuff up that was importaint to me... :shake:

Anyhow, thanks for the recommendation, that one is another good one for kids.
The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want. He makes me lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside quiet waters. He restores my soul; He guides me in paths of righteousness For His name's sake. Even though I walk though the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and Thy staff, they comfort me. Thou dost prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; Thou hast anointed my head with oil; My cup overflows. Surely goodness and lovingkindness will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever. Psalm 23
AngelicTotoro

Previous Next

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews