Have you ever noticed?...

Talk about anything in here.

Have you ever noticed?...

Postby Darth_Kirby » Fri May 27, 2011 10:30 pm

Have you ever noticed that if you look a person in the eyes, both people instinctively look away. It's like it's taboo to look someone in the eye unless you're flirting or trying to intimidate someone. XP lol
Join the Darth side... No really! Join! The pension plan is great and they match all your 401K's!! XD

[color="Cyan"]True freedom is the ability to do what you know is right without fear of persecution.[/color]

[color="Lime"]I finally understand that justice is not born out of the desire for revenge or hatred, but it is born out of love for one’s fellow man.[/color]

Darth_Kirby (post: 1481540) wrote:Ah, the beast of terminology... how many more arguments will you start... XP
Darth_Kirby

Postby ADXC » Fri May 27, 2011 11:11 pm

Well, it kinda feels taboo. I often look strangers in the eyes without thinking, then instinctively look away because I know that I have not learned that much about them and that I do not know if I can trust them with my eye contact.

W00t! 2,300th post!
ADXC

Postby Rusty Claymore » Sat May 28, 2011 12:09 am

I is stealing ur sowl!!! I dunno, when I talk to people I maintain eye contact. But with ranom passer's-by it's a little to engaging to lock deadlights. That preceds action, so when no action is natural awkwardness ensues. o_0
Proverbs 31:32 "...when she watches anime, she keeps the room well lit and sits at a safe distance."
Rusty Claymore

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Sat May 28, 2011 12:33 am

Men tend to look away more than women do. Women are more intentional and tend to make more eye contact. Next time you notice this, try to keep note of what sex they are.
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby J.D3 » Sat May 28, 2011 1:01 am

I tend to look away a lot, but probably because I'm a shy person by nature. Also, I sometimes do that when someone's talking to me to sort of snap me back into focus as I tend to drift off a bit after too long! :eh:
J.D3

Postby Atria35 » Sat May 28, 2011 5:15 am

If I'm trying to bring a point across, or noticed that I'm looking away, then I will intentionally look people in the eye or meet their gaze.

However, among my friends, we all look eachother in the eye, no problem. Maybe not with extended gazes- that's taboo- but it's not an issue.
Atria35

Postby Ally-Ann » Sat May 28, 2011 5:35 am

I typically look someone in the eye the entire time they're talking. :lol: But I break eye contact every so often. Otherwise, it's just awkward-feeling.
[color="Lime"]My Fictionpress account[/color]! http://www.fictionpress.com/u/740837/Ally-Ann

[color="Yellow"]My Fanfiction account[/color]! http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2401061/ArmyAngel316

My nicknames! [color="Pink"]~*[/color][color="palegreen"]Ally[/color][color="pink"]*~[/color] [color="white"](>[/color][color="Cyan"]Mochi-chan[/color][color="White"]<)[/color]

I like mochi. ^^

I question my [color="DarkOrchid"]sanity[/color]. (._.)

Operation: Blackout
Ally-Ann

Postby ShiroiHikari » Sat May 28, 2011 9:55 am

I don't like making eye contact with people I don't know. I'll usually just kind of look in the general direction of their face. But with people I know very well, I will make eye contact while talking to them. I don't hold their gaze constantly though-- that just feels weird.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Yamamaya » Sat May 28, 2011 10:38 am

Men tend to avoid eye contact as prolonged eye contact is considered to be some kind of challenge. It's considered a threat.

They also avoid eye contact with women unless they're already talking to them as they think of this as being flirtatious or creepy.
Yamamaya

Postby Makachop^^128 » Sat May 28, 2011 11:57 am

I really can't make eye contact with almost anyone :/ maybe I'm like a guy then? lol I only can if I am trying to make a good impression but then I find myself laughing because I smile too much when I'm nervous lol
"We're not gonna die. We can't die, Bendis. You know why? Because we are so...very...pretty. We are just too pretty for God to let us die."-Mal

http://www.facebook.com/ShaylaChan

http://www.shelfari.com/shaylabot
http://myanimelist.net/profile/ShaylaBot
Makachop^^128

Postby Radical Dreamer » Sat May 28, 2011 12:23 pm

When I was in sixth grade and bored with whatever the teacher was talking about, I made up a game where I would try to see how long I could keep eye contact with someone, be it the teacher or another student. If they broke eye contact first, I won (double win if I was looking at the teacher and they thought I was really listening to what they were saying XD), and if I broke it first, they won. The best part about this game is that I was the only one who knew it was being played, and I'm pretty sure I weirded a few kids out when I was staring at them intently from across the room until they broke eye contact. XDD I distinctly remember this one girl trying to figure out what I was looking at, and when she silently asked me during the class, I just shrugged and kept staring. It was awesome; also, I was a weird kid. XDD

Needless to say, I only keep eye contact when necessary these days. XD Usually if I make eye contact with someone on the street or something, I just smile and then continue going about my business. XD
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Sat May 28, 2011 2:11 pm

The unspoken rules about eye contact are complete mysteries to me. I have no clue how to do it 'right'. With strangers I probably stare too much, but when I try to correct that I end up acting more nervous than I already am. B(

I'm not sure how I do it with most people I know, but I with my dad (and my mom, when she's saying something important or answering a question), I rarely break eye contact.
Hats wrote:"Frodo! Cast off your [s]sins[/s] into the fire!"

EllaEdric 06:53 -IM SO UNEQUIPPED TO BE A MAN ITS NOT EVEN FUNNY.
FllMtl Novelist

Postby Arya Raiin » Sat May 28, 2011 5:15 pm

In my opinion, people should always be able to look each other in the eyes. Though I know it makes some people uncomfortable, I make a point of doing so. I've noticed self-conscious and shy people tend to avoid eye contact. I feel like people aren't being honest with me if they aren't having eye contact with me. XD Of course, that's just my opinion.
Arya Raiin

Postby Sheenar » Sat May 28, 2011 6:14 pm

Due to my past, I am uncomfortable with direct eye contact. It feels threatening to me unless I know the other person well. So I look at the other person's forehead or their cheek or their nose.
"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." 2 Corinthians 4:16-18

"Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves."
Sheenar

Postby ShiroiHikari » Sat May 28, 2011 11:51 pm

Shy people don't avoid eye contact out of dishonesty. We're just nervous and kind of frightened.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Darth_Kirby » Sun May 29, 2011 12:07 am

Usually I like to make eye contact alot during a conversation, but it never seems to last more than a few seconds unless I conciously continue to look into their eyes. Also, out of conversation it just feels like if you look into their eyes for too long that you're being creepy or suspicious.
Join the Darth side... No really! Join! The pension plan is great and they match all your 401K's!! XD

[color="Cyan"]True freedom is the ability to do what you know is right without fear of persecution.[/color]

[color="Lime"]I finally understand that justice is not born out of the desire for revenge or hatred, but it is born out of love for one’s fellow man.[/color]

Darth_Kirby (post: 1481540) wrote:Ah, the beast of terminology... how many more arguments will you start... XP
Darth_Kirby

Postby LadyRushia » Sun May 29, 2011 2:35 am

I was always taught that direct eye contact is respectful, so I always maintain direct eye contact, even with people who scare me.
Fanfiction (updated 1/1/11)-- Lucky Star--Ginsaki ch. 4
[color="Magenta"]Sometimes I post things.[/color]
Image Image Image
LadyRushia

Postby rocklobster » Sun May 29, 2011 4:17 am

For many autistic people (and Aspies like myself), eye contact is actually difficult. However, my mother (who at the time she raised me didn't know what Asperger's was) often insisted that I focus on her, so I learned it from her. In fact, I kinda outgrew the eye contact problem.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Midori » Sun May 29, 2011 7:02 am

A lot of this is probably cultural.
Midori

Postby Nanao » Sun May 29, 2011 2:01 pm

Midori (post: 1481795) wrote:A lot of this is probably cultural.

I've been told this as well. Personally, eye contact is really hard for me. It always has been. But it never really was an issue until we came here, or at least not that I knew of. When we moved to the US, people (teachers, coaches, etc) commented it. No one else had before that to my knowledge, aside from my parents.
[color="RoyalBlue"]My help comes from the Lord, maker of heaven and earth.[/color] Psalm 121:2
[color="Pink"]@)[/color][color="Green"]}~`,~[/color] Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.
Nanao

Postby Radical Dreamer » Sun May 29, 2011 2:23 pm

Midori (post: 1481795) wrote:A lot of this is probably cultural.

Yeah, I was thinking about that earlier, in regards to this thread. XD I think a lot of it depends on how people interact with one another in a culture. I've heard that in some cultures, you avoid eye contact with people you don't know, and in others, eye contact may be encouraged, depending on the amount of space people put between one another when talking. Some of it may have something to do with a person's personality, but I'm sure a lot of it is due to cultural norms, as well.
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Tigerchu » Sun May 29, 2011 4:46 pm

Darth_Kirby (post: 1481594) wrote:Have you ever noticed that if you look a person in the eyes, both people instinctively look away. It's like it's taboo to look someone in the eye unless you're flirting or trying to intimidate someone. XP lol

Hmm:)? What country?
Have faith
-From somewhere in the Bible, and I agree with it

-God will only give you what you can take. He will not overwhelm you.
-From somewhere in the Bible

-Your faith becomes stronger when it's tested.
-I saw a Chinese guy with a cross on his restaurant desk in America. That's so cool. You can do that here. Not so much China.

I've recently been learning that I don't need to be "loud and pushy" to Evangelize; just living it out is enough witness. The problem was that I grew up around strong Evangelists (Korean Christians) and they were really into getting people involved and setting out to Evangelize, and me being a a yes-man (or yes woman) I was into trying to convert people.
I've been learning this lesson over the years, but have been trying to be pushy. Now I'm trying to ease off.
Tigerchu

Postby Yuki-Anne » Sun May 29, 2011 6:33 pm

Yeah, here in Japan eye contact with strangers is pretty rude. And knowing that makes it REALLY uncomfortable/hilarious for me when people stare on the train or in restaurants and stuff.
New and improved Yuki-Anne: now with blog: http://anneinjapan.blog.com
Yuki-Anne

Postby Furen » Sun May 29, 2011 6:58 pm

Self conscious for me, any time I'd had tried to see how long I could look at someone in the eyes, they'd as quick as they could turn away, so I felt bad...
And this I pray, that your love would abound still, more and more with real knowledge and all discernment. Be prepared to preach the gospel at a moment's notice. Do you know the gospel well enough to do so yourself? Be ready.
Furen

Postby Darth_Kirby » Sun May 29, 2011 7:54 pm

Tigerchu (post: 1481847) wrote:Hmm:)? What country?

In the USA. At least in California.

Darth_Kirby

Postby PrincessZelda » Sun May 29, 2011 10:54 pm

I think it is very much a cultural thing. For instance, here in the US, if you're in an interview and you don't look your interviewer in the eye they'll think you're lying or trying to hide something. Also if someone's talking to you and you don't look at them, they might think you're not paying attention to them. However, like Yuki mentioned, in other countries, like Japan, it's considered rude to look directly into someone's eyes, especially if you're not close to them.

I also thing there's a difference between looking people in the eye, and staring uncomfortably at their eyes. XD I mean, when you're having a normal conversation with someone, you do glance away occasionally, but you're still looking directly at them for the majority of the time. If you were to stare straight forward, directly into their eyes the entire time, then yes, it would get very awkward.
PrincessZelda

Postby armeck » Mon May 30, 2011 4:06 pm

I think maintaining eye contact is important.. Thought i guess it's just me
Just some punk kid that likes techno music
armeck

Postby Makachop^^128 » Mon May 30, 2011 9:12 pm

rocklobster (post: 1481778) wrote:For many autistic people (and Aspies like myself), eye contact is actually difficult. However, my mother (who at the time she raised me didn't know what Asperger's was) often insisted that I focus on her, so I learned it from her. In fact, I kinda outgrew the eye contact problem.

I have Aspergers.........well a bit but I find it extremely difficult to look people in the eyes. even when I'm comfortable its kinda annoying >.< because everyone thinks I'm lying or nervous all the time lol
"We're not gonna die. We can't die, Bendis. You know why? Because we are so...very...pretty. We are just too pretty for God to let us die."-Mal

Makachop^^128

Postby Darth_Kirby » Mon May 30, 2011 9:18 pm

Makachop^^128 (post: 1482016) wrote:I have Aspergers.........well a bit but I find it extremely difficult to look people in the eyes. even when I'm comfortable its kinda annoying >.< because everyone thinks I'm lying or nervous all the time lol

lol yeah, my mom thinks me and my brother might have a very mild case of Aspergers. But I'm not so sure. Though I have to admit I'm usually the first person to look away in a conversation.

Darth_Kirby

Postby Makachop^^128 » Mon May 30, 2011 9:58 pm

Darth_Kirby (post: 1482019) wrote:lol yeah, my mom thinks me and my brother might have a very mild case of Aspergers. But I'm not so sure. Though I have to admit I'm usually the first person to look away in a conversation.

yea same here, I have a mild case but its just enough that I alot of times just glance up at the person other then that I look around or at the ground its really embarrassing. I wish there was a way to stop that.

Makachop^^128

Next

Return to General