Humor and the Big Red Button

Talk about anything in here.

Humor and the Big Red Button

Postby ABlipinTime » Wed May 25, 2011 4:49 pm

While playing the Big Red Button game (http://www.i-am-bored.com/bored_link.cfm?link_id=9644) I started analyzing, or over-analyzing, whichever you prefer, and began to feel uneasy.

On one hand, the game seems very entertaining. I don't know why. Due to its irony perhaps? It's fun to laugh at.
On the other hand, it disturbs me, mainly the kind of things the button "says", ideas of hating the button-pusher (you, if you did) and how the world will blow up because of you, etc.

So in the spirit of starting controversial topics, let's talk about the humor of the Big Red Button. Does anyone else feel discomfort when playing this game or it is just me? Also, is there a different online Red Button game with nicer responses (link please)?

EDIT: I suppose this should have gone under "General Entertainment" considering the subject is a game, but I stuck it in "General" cause I wasn't sure.
- God is always with us, especially when we feel most alone.
http://ablipintime.deviantart.com/
Htom Sirveaux (post: 1435089) - "We should all start speaking telepathically."
Midori (post: 1457302) "Sometimes, if I try hard, I can speak in English."
(post: 1481465) "Overthinking is an art."
Goldenspines - "Fighting the bad guys and rescuing princesses from trolls and all that. "
ABlipinTime

Postby bobmonkeys » Wed May 25, 2011 10:25 pm

Funny to see this after just playing that game the other day.

I had no problems with the buttons responses, but if there was an actual button that was red and had a label saying "Do not press this button, or the world will be destroyed." I would have destroyed the world 10x already.
bobmonkeys

Postby Xeno » Thu May 26, 2011 2:37 pm

I fail to see how this is in any way controversial. I have this same game as an iPhone app, it was funny the first couple of times I went through it. I can't possibly imagine anyone getting upset about what the button is "saying" unless you're overly sensitive about things.
Xeno

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Thu May 26, 2011 2:45 pm

I... what? I don't really get what's going on here. The game was only mildly amusing.
Shao Feng-Li

Postby ShiroiHikari » Thu May 26, 2011 2:49 pm

I think maybe you're overthinking it, dude.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby ABlipinTime » Thu May 26, 2011 9:56 pm

ShiroiHikari (post: 1481369) wrote:I think maybe you're overthinking it, dude.

Mmm... For sure, assuming I want to enjoy it. Still, I find it "course humor", if you know what I mean.

----
As a side note, I find it humorous that I got 3 responses from people who seem to rarely post on this forum.
Goldenspines - "Fighting the bad guys and rescuing princesses from trolls and all that. "
ABlipinTime

Postby Sapphire225 » Fri May 27, 2011 12:12 am

I'm with Shiroi on this one. Its just a fun little button not to b taken seriously...
"Because the World isn't as cruel as you take it to be." ~ Celty, Durarara!!

Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you."
~Deuteronomy 31:6

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We live in a fantasy world, a world of illusion. The great task in life is to find reality. ~ Iris Murdoch
Sapphire225

Postby Rusty Claymore » Fri May 27, 2011 12:55 am

It's been awhile since I've played it, but the premise reminds me of Potato-Glad0s, or of the little kid trying to act tough. The button really has no power but it talks big and acts tough and important, and the more claims and statements it makes the sillier it gets since it can't possibly act on any of them. Hahaha... foolish button.

All that to say, yes. At first I did feel uncomfortable. >_</)
Proverbs 31:32 "...when she watches anime, she keeps the room well lit and sits at a safe distance."
Rusty Claymore

Postby Midori » Fri May 27, 2011 11:27 am

ShiroiHikari (post: 1481369) wrote:I think maybe you're overthinking it, dude.
Overthinking is an art.
Midori

Postby ABlipinTime » Fri May 27, 2011 6:00 pm

Midori (post: 1481465) wrote:Overthinking is an art.

I totally agree
ABlipinTime

Postby SnoringFrog » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:24 am

I feel that the humor in the button is absolutely terrible and that it should be removed from the internet! That type of speech is wrong and inappropriate for any situation, whether joking or not. Hatred is not something to joke about; it is a grave sin. :rant:

[SIZE="1"]Disclaimer: this post does not represent the actual view or opinions of the user who posted it in any way, shape, or form. In fact, it does quite the opposite.[/SIZE]
UC Pseudonym wrote:For a while I wasn't sure how to answer this, and then I thought "What would Batman do?" Excuse me while I find a warehouse with a skylight...
[SIZE="7"][color="MediumTurquoise"]Cobalt Figure 8[/color][/SIZE]
DeviantArt || Myspace || Facebook || Greasemonkey Scripts || Stylish Userstyles
SnoringFrog

Postby Kaligraphic » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:15 pm

Try Don't Shoot the Puppy.

Really, the Red Button game is just a game of taunting and frustration, brought on by the loneliness of being one flash game in a sea of faceless files. It's a desperate cry for love and attention, however it can get those. By not playing along, you allow the game to slide further down into the black pit of despair. Me, I don't click to defy the text. I click to save the text.

:)
The cake used to be a lie like you, but then it took a portal to the deception core.
Kaligraphic

Return to General