Political Correctness, Stunting Growth?

Talk about anything in here.

Postby Radical Dreamer » Thu May 19, 2011 1:06 pm

ShiroiHikari (post: 1480004) wrote:Or how about we just never voice our opinions! Then nobody can get offended, amirite?

Say you've struck up a conversation at the coffee shop with someone you don't really know. Let's call this person "X". X asks you about your religion. You say that you are a Christian. X gets offended and starts calling you things like bigot, zealot, etc. Who's at fault here? You weren't trying to offend X. He's the one that asked you about religion. Would it have been better to just politely leave instead of telling him the truth?

In this scenario, the actual bigot is the one who's making assumptions about your character based on your religion. The idea of being politically correct isn't really meant, I don't believe, to stop people from discussing religion or even talking to one another on any subject, especially if both parties are interested. The point of it, as I understand it, is to keep people from belittling those who are different from them. In other words, it's more about lowering the use of racial slurs, sexual slurs, and terminology that could be found offensive to the person affected by it (like calling someone mentally challenged instead of retarded). It's less about definitions than it is connotations.
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Scarecrow » Thu May 19, 2011 1:19 pm

Nate (post: 1480011) wrote:So what I'm seeing is "If someone is inoffensive everyone is fine with it, but if someone is offensive people get upset!" Which...that's not a double standard. I don't see how anyone could even possibly interpret that as a double standard.

What I meant by double standards was like... Someone is offended and calls so and so out on it. But then they go and do the same thing in a different context. Other people are offended... however, now it's alright and if you can't deal with it, you're being stupid and close minded.

If people wanna play the PC card, fine... but it should be applied to everything and everyone. If you have a problem with someone you perceive to be making racist remarks, don't make racist remarks yourself about others. It's like being in grade school and you get made fun of. That's wrong Don't go making fun of another kid later though and expect me to care when you get picked on again.

And sorry about the fruit loop comment. That wasn't directed at anyone personally and I really doubt anyone here fits into my box of what I'd consider one. It was said in jest (I mean, fruit loop?) but regardless I shouldn't have said it anyway... cause someone could be offended and I didn't think of that. So sorry if I did.
"Take me down, shake me out. Give me a brain, that I might know You better"
Scarecrow

Postby Cognitive Gear » Thu May 19, 2011 1:30 pm

Scarecrow (post: 1480040) wrote:And sorry about the fruit loop comment. That wasn't directed at anyone personally and I really doubt anyone here fits into my box of what I'd consider one. It was said in jest (I mean, fruit loop?) but regardless I shouldn't have said it anyway... cause someone could be offended and I didn't think of that. So sorry if I did.

I was just curious as to what you meant by it.
Cognitive Gear

Postby Darth_Kirby » Thu May 19, 2011 11:48 pm

Nate (post: 1480011) wrote:Okay, let's say I'm hanging out with some friends, and one of them makes a sexist joke about women belonging in the kitchen. I say to that person "Hey, that really offends me, I find it sexist and belittling to women." He might say "How does that offend you? It was a joke." I would respond "Even if it is a joke, there are people that actually think that way these days, and it's still insulting and could hurt a woman's feelings if she didn't know you were joking."
In this scenario, let's say the guy disagrees with my assessment of why I am offended by my joke. He might respond by saying I'm "too PC," he might respond by saying "Lighten up and get over it." In these situations, he disagrees with me, even though I believe my reasoning is sound. Thus, merely because he disagrees with me, he might say I am unduly offended. In other words, he does not think my offense is undue because it is without merit or poorly thought out, but merely because he disagrees with it.

One, you would not be playing the "political correctness" card by saying that his joke was sexist and that you're offended by it because it is clearly a sexist comment. Two, political correctness is when someone is offended about something for which there is no reason to be offended besides the person's opinion. And when I say "opinion" I don't mean your actual beliefs or views on a topic, I mean your opinion about whether something is offensive or not. If you feel offended, even when there's no logical reason to be offended, then that's being politically correct. Usually this is done in politics to condition base voters against the opposition so that they will not listen to logical debates, but instead they make the debate personal by blindly attacking the other side's character without listening to them. Going back to the example about sending the army to the borders. Someone may see it as racist, but that is no reason to call the person a racist or that he has racist views. The person's opinion overides logic to make the jump from an idea that is not strictly racist to assuming that the man putting the idea up for consideration is racist. In other words political correctness is a tool used to silence anyone that doesn't agree with a certain viewpoint by stigmatizing them with a label.

Nate (post: 1480011) wrote:On another note, maybe you shouldn't use such an overtly political real-life situation as an example? It could cause argument and the thread to be locked...at least I try to phrase my examples as dumb stuff like fires and sandwiches and stuff.

I use real examples, because they are more practical for getting points across. My intent is not to start a debate that is not fit for this thread, but to be clear about what I'm saying.

Nate (post: 1480011) wrote:And here's exactly the problem I was talking about. If they think it's racist, they're not being "needlessly" offended. Even if you didn't find it racist, they did, and to say that it's "needless" simply because you disagree with them is pretty rude and self-centered. There are plenty of people who didn't view things as racist at the time that were extremely and profoundly racist...the camps the United States set up during World War II to imprison Japanese-Americans comes to mind, it was defended as a "necessity" to protect our country, but it was merely racist.

I think you did not understand what I was saying. I think my previous point explained what I was saying, but I will answer this prompt as well. Thinking that something is racist isn't political correctness. Thinking that something is racist for no logical reason at all is "political correctness" cause whatever you stigmatize with the label of racism will not be given logical consideration. It will merely be mindlessly shunned. What happened in World War II was clearly racist. The border issue is not clearly racist.

Nate (post: 1480011) wrote:I agree to an extent, obviously we should always do what is right, and if doing what is right offends others, then that is fine...but we should take care not to think that doing what is right will always offend others, or that offending others is the first step in doing what is right. We also should not interpret this situation as "Offending another person means I am doing something right," because that is not a true statement. "Doing something right will always offend people" is also not a true statement.

The only true statement is "Sometimes, when I am doing the right thing, some people may be offended." But again, it almost always turns into offending others = righteousness, or doing right = offending people, neither of which is the case.

If at any point you assume that offending people equals the right thing you are not thinking, period. Not being affraid to offend someone if its the right thing to say and thinking that that will lead to "doing right = offending people" is an extremely weak arguement.

Nate (post: 1480011) wrote:So what I'm seeing is "If someone is inoffensive everyone is fine with it, but if someone is offensive people get upset!" Which...that's not a double standard. I don't see how anyone could even possibly interpret that as a double standard.

That may be what you're seeing, but what I'm saying is my response to the first prompt. Political correctness creates a double standard where one side holds itself up as "objective" and "tolerant" but stigmatizes any opposition as "intolerant" and "biased." Like I said before, it is a political tool. Not something to champion.

Nate (post: 1480011) wrote:I don't think it's undue or out of line, although it depends on how they state it. If you asked them that and they simply went "You racist!" then that's out of line, though I don't think it's undue offense if they are truly offended by that remark. If they said "I believe that would be an extremely racist action, and here is why," I don't think you could call that out of line or undue, for it is neither.

That is true. But to assume that the person is racist, or that his idea is purely of racist origins and not born of some other reason merely because you think the idea is racist is political correctness. Instead of hearing him out you automatically go on the attack, because you don't consider the possibility that the reasons for his idea have non-racist origins. You only see the possible racist origins and run with that. Note: I'm not saying you actually do this. I'm saying that that is what politically correct people do.
Join the Darth side... No really! Join! The pension plan is great and they match all your 401K's!! XD

[color="Cyan"]True freedom is the ability to do what you know is right without fear of persecution.[/color]

[color="Lime"]I finally understand that justice is not born out of the desire for revenge or hatred, but it is born out of love for one’s fellow man.[/color]

Darth_Kirby (post: 1481540) wrote:Ah, the beast of terminology... how many more arguments will you start... XP
Darth_Kirby

Postby mechana2015 » Fri May 20, 2011 3:14 am

Darth Kirby, please watch your tone as it's getting rather insulting and bordering on flaming, and avoid political topics as much as possible. I'm sure you can think of examples that aren't political. Flaunting rules to make a point will not be tolerated.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby J.D3 » Fri May 20, 2011 6:01 am

I would say there's a difference between being politically correct & just being considerate in conversation.

To me, political correctness can be useful in some cases (i.e. sometimes when talking spiritual stuff with people very unversed in that sort of thing) but if one is not too careful it can be quite harmful to your authenticity, in that you'd be inclined towards a wishy-washy answer/statement perhaps out of fear for how the other person may respond, rather than just plainly get your point across where it may actually be appropriate to do so.

I suppose there comes a point where you just have to be basically 'black & white' in what you say rather than dance around the subject. And inversely, there are times when 'black & white' talk may not be suitable and where you'd use a more a sensitive or diplomatic approach.
J.D3

Postby steenajack » Fri May 20, 2011 7:39 am

Am...I the only one that finds Rusty's comment kinda funny? Anyway, on a serious note, here's my opinion on PC.....I really don't support it all that much to be honest. Don't get me wrong, I support being polite and being kind to people....but what if people are offended by someone being kind to them? What do you do then? Different people are different, and get offended by different things. There are also people who take advantage of the "political correct" society and use it to their advantage in various different ways. In all honesty, you can never please EVERYONE. Here's how I see it: I don't believe in maliciously offending someone....however, what if I'm telling the TRUTH and a person is offended. Sometimes the truth has to hurt, and when you love someone you should be honest with them...ESPECIALLY if you know that they NEED to hear the truth. At the same time though, I think it's wise to have discretion over what you say, and don't deliberatetly try to be hurtful. So, I guess if a friend of mine found a specific word or phrase offensive, then I wouldn't use it arround him/her, unless of course there came the situation in which I'd HAVE to tell them a hard truth. That's basically what I believe.
Please, feel free to check out my sites:

My Deviant Art[/color]
MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!!!
My FictionPress[/color]
My tumblr[/color] Read...fave...reblog...repeat...
steenajack

Postby Yamamaya » Fri May 20, 2011 10:46 am

Trying to define what PC actually means is like trying to define objective traits that makes someone attractive. It's impossibly subjective and everyone has a different definition.

However, in the context of giving a formal speech, PC is a very useful tool. The goal of a speech is to make people as open to your ideas as possible. Thus, using PC terms helps you ensure that you don't offend people from the very get go and cause them to stop listening to your speech.
Yamamaya

Postby Darth_Kirby » Fri May 20, 2011 1:26 pm

mechana2015 (post: 1480135) wrote:Darth Kirby, please watch your tone as it's getting rather insulting and bordering on flaming, and avoid political topics as much as possible. I'm sure you can think of examples that aren't political. Flaunting rules to make a point will not be tolerated.

Sorry that is not what I'm trying to do. If I may ask, since I'm still fairly new to the site, what rules does it seem like I'm flaunting? So I may avoid doing so in the future.

P.S. I am not looking to insult anyone and if I have I sincerely apologize. That is not my intent.
Join the Darth side... No really! Join! The pension plan is great and they match all your 401K's!! XD

[color="Cyan"]True freedom is the ability to do what you know is right without fear of persecution.[/color]

[color="Lime"]I finally understand that justice is not born out of the desire for revenge or hatred, but it is born out of love for one’s fellow man.[/color]

Darth_Kirby (post: 1481540) wrote:Ah, the beast of terminology... how many more arguments will you start... XP
Darth_Kirby

Postby Nate » Fri May 20, 2011 1:39 pm

Darth_Kirby wrote:One, you would not be playing the "political correctness" card by saying that his joke was sexist and that you're offended by it because it is clearly a sexist comment.

But then we get into stuff such as the role of women in certain Christian denominations, that I and many other believe are clearly sexist, but other people do not. And that's where the problem is. See what I'm getting at?
Two, political correctness is when someone is offended about something for which there is no reason to be offended besides the person's opinion.

Ah, but who judges if there is "no reason?" You may believe there is no reason simply because you disagree with the person, but just because you disagree with their reason does not equate to no reason.
If you feel offended, even when there's no logical reason to be offended, then that's being politically correct.

No, not always. Humans don't always work on logic, and sometimes someone can be deeply offended even if there's no "logical" reason. We do illogical things all the time, and I don't think someone should be ignored or belittled because they are offended by something that seems trivial or ridiculous to others.

Case in point, someone might say "Believing in God is illogical, there is no empirical evidence for God's existence" You would probably be offended by this, as would I, since we both believe in God. But logically speaking, this person is correct. Thus, you have no "logical" reason to be offended. But you have a pretty strong emotional reason to be offended, now don't you?

That's why the whole "logic" thing doesn't work on me. Logic and emotion are not opposites, and not everyone should think like Vulcans (yeah yeah, I know, Vulcans are actually extremely emotional and they just suppress it, but what else am I gonna use for an example :p).
Usually this is done in politics to condition base voters against the opposition so that they will not listen to logical debates, but instead they make the debate personal by blindly attacking the other side's character without listening to them.

I wasn't aware there had ever been logical debates in politics. They all are pretty much character assassination and twisted half-truths. It's the nature of politics.
Someone may see it as racist, but that is no reason to call the person a racist or that he has racist views.

Maybe, but I find it difficult to believe someone could have racist views without actually being a racist. Then we get into the territory of "I'm not racist, but man black people sure are lazy!" There are plenty of racists who do not see themselves as racist, but think they are being "intellectual," "logical," or "truthful." I've seen stuff on sites, where for example, a racist person had an image comparing average brain size between whites and blacks. On average, blacks have smaller brains. They then used this to say "Blacks are naturally less intelligent than whites, and more aggressive, and scientific evidence backs this up."

They didn't believe they were being racist, they believed they were going on proven evidence that could not be refuted. As he put it, "It's perfectly fine to look at a Toyota and say it gets more gas mileage than an SUV, because you're looking at it objectively, and looking at brain sizes objectively proves me correct. That's not racist, it's just factual." Or something along those lines.

So again, he held a completely and painfully obvious racist viewpoint, but believed he was not being racist at all. Thus, it is entirely possible for someone to hold racist viewpoints and be racist without thinking they are, and that's a problem, because if you call the person out on it, they will get defensive and less likely to listen to the opposing viewpoint.

There really isn't a right thing to do in that situation. Even if you just say "This is a bad idea and here is why," once you start mentioning race the other person will probably say "Are you accusing me of being racist?" or something along those lines. There's really no easy way to go about it, honestly, which is a problem.
What happened in World War II was clearly racist. The border issue is not clearly racist.

During World War II, the camps were not seen as racist at all because we were at war with the Japanese, and any Japanese-American could have potentially been a spy for the Japanese army. They could have been gathering intelligence on our movements and plans, and relayed them to Japan.

It was not seen as racist because it was logically sound...a Japanese-American was of course more likely to be a spy sent by Japan, Japan probably didn't have very many whites or blacks living in their country that they could send over to be spies. So again, it was completely logical. It was also extremely racist. We can look back with hindsight and say "Man, that was so completely racist," but the people who were alive then didn't think that. They thought it was necessary to protect our country.

So the border issue could be completely racist. It's just we are living in a time where it is seen as completely logical (much as the Japanese camps were during World War II). It is entirely possible that in 100 years, people living then will look at the border issues of today and go "Wow, that was so racist, I can't believe people supported that."

You may disagree, but the precedent is there.
Political correctness creates a double standard where one side holds itself up as "objective" and "tolerant" but stigmatizes any opposition as "intolerant" and "biased."

And I disagree completely. I believe political correctness sets up a society where people can openly speak with each other without fear of prejudice or belittlement.
Like I said before, it is a political tool. Not something to champion.

The assumption here is that political tools are always negative, which is not necessarily the case. For example, the mayor of the town I lived in showed up at the YMCA Active Older Adults event on Wednesday, and talked with the people there and ate lunch with us.

That could possibly have been a political tool to get his face out there and seem more friendly and interested in the events of the town. He also could have genuinely wanted to be there. But if it was a political tool, was it a negative one? I do not think it was, and thus, we can see that not all political tools are necessarily bad, and should sometimes be championed.

And I personally feel political correctness is a positive thing that should be championed, and so I do.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Darth_Kirby » Fri May 20, 2011 2:06 pm

lol Nate, my friend... in the end this whole discussion is a battle of how you define a term "political correctness." You clearly have a different definition than I do and thus I don't think this conversation is going to make much more progress than it has without becoming a real political discussion. So I will end with saying that I simply agree to disagree with you on this.

Darth_Kirby

Postby mechana2015 » Fri May 20, 2011 7:49 pm

CAA Forum Rules wrote: Politics- Political threads and posts will be closed if posted. Politics has nothing to do with Christianity or anime, our two primary topics, and furthermore only causes opportunity for division within our community. In short, there's simply no positive purpose for them here.

Posted for the benefit of the thread in general, as well as Kirby. Keep it clean folks, PM me if you have further questions.

For your reference the rest of the rules can be found here. http://www.christiananime.net/faq.php?faq=caa_info#faq_new_faq_item

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby Chrysolite » Fri May 20, 2011 9:06 pm

My hero, Brad Stine, can say it better than I can:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZ55B1OeS40

I'm sure my opinion is just repeating what many, many people before me have said, but I'll go ahead and say it anyway-- I believe in kindness. But political correctness (as I understand it, anyway), is not the same as kindness. The difference is that one comes from a genuine concern for the feelings and struggles of the people around you, while the other is based on fear of being demonized and publicly humiliated for voicing your thoughts or beliefs. So, fancy terminology aside, I for one am most definitely pro-kindness and anti-political correctness.
[color="Red"]@)[/color][color="SeaGreen"]}~`,~[/color]

Do not be overrighteous, neither be overwise—
why destroy yourself?

Do not be overwicked, and do not be a fool—
why die before your time?

It is good to grasp the one and not let go of the other.
The man who fears God will avoid all extremes.

—Ecclesiastes 7:16-18
Chrysolite

Postby Nate » Fri May 20, 2011 9:21 pm

I tried to watch that video but when the first thing I heard was a rant about the phrase "Happy Holidays" I had to turn it off.

Nate

Postby Rusty Claymore » Fri May 20, 2011 11:00 pm

Anyone can be as politically correct as they want, just as long as they don't try to force their political correctness on me or others. I don't maliciously offend people on purpose, because God said we shouldn't do stuff to folks that we wouldn't want done to us, but otherwise I really don't care if I offend people. They certainly don't care if they offend me.
Proverbs 31:32 "...when she watches anime, she keeps the room well lit and sits at a safe distance."
Rusty Claymore

Postby Garland » Fri May 20, 2011 11:03 pm

This is an example of what I believe political correctness does:

Politically Correct Christmas Card

As I see it, it forces you to do backflips, and cartwheels and contort every single word and phrase so that you can't possibly offend a person who may or may not exist.
Garland

Location: Somewhere between a machine's logic and a person's consciousness

Postby ShiroiHikari » Sat May 21, 2011 10:02 am

Unfortunately it's difficult to tell just by looking at someone which winter holiday they celebrate (or don't celebrate). I personally don't mind if someone wants to wish me a happy Hanukkah or Yuletide or whatever; it's the sentiment that counts. But some people get pretty bent out of shape over receiving best wishes for the wrong holiday.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Midori » Sat May 21, 2011 10:58 am

Well, I may regret stirring up more discussion in this thread with this, considering how close it is to a lock, but here's my take on political correctness, with which I hope almost everyone can agree in some fashion.

Like I said before, political correctness means something different depending on who's saying it. It is very hard to come to a common definition that makes everyone agree. But here's my attempt at it.

Everyone already knows you should in general be polite to strangers. There are very few people who actually think that belittling and slandering people in everyday speech is a good thing. But sometimes people do say things that are demeaning to other people, and that is what political correctness seeks to prevent. Over the years, what I have most often seen called political correctness is a system to codify how to avoid harming people by what you say, usually by declaring certain words to be forbidden to speak.

Now, on the one hand, a certain amount of setting apart words can be useful to aid discussion between people. For instance, on CAA, we forbid many vulgar words in order to avoid harming people who would be hurt by them. It's the same reason the system of political correctness forbids racial slurs.

But on the other hand, reducing a principle like "You shouldn't belittle or slander people" to a rigid set of rules is not actually possible. People can always get around the rules and claim they're being polite. And people can also feel like the rules impinge on their free speech in unnecessary ways. You cannot make a system that prevents only sins.

So, whenever you want to tell me about political correctness, consult this:

Midori's Political Correctness Reaction Table

1. If by political correctness you mean you should try to be kind and not attempt to harm people, even accidentally, by what you say, then political correctness is a good thing. Do please follow this principle, everyone!
* To avoid confusion, I prefer to call this "politeness", or just plain ethics.

2. If by political correctness you mean a system where some words or constructions are "incorrect" and others are "correct", in order to avoid the most blatant offenses and avoid misunderstandings, then political correctness is usually a good thing, provided everyone is following the same rules and those rules actually make sense.
* To avoid confusion, I prefer to call this "etiquette", or "courtesy", or "social code".

3. If by political correctness you mean "anything that makes me feel offended should be forbidden", then please go away and grow some skin. I cannot pander to everyone's little quirks.
* To avoid confusion, I prefer to call this "stuck up".

Any comments or adjustments people would like to make to this?
Midori

Postby Midori » Sat May 21, 2011 1:28 pm

Well, I may regret stirring up more discussion in this thread with this, considering how close it is to a lock, but here's my take on political correctness, with which I hope almost everyone can agree in some fashion.

Like I said before, political correctness means something different depending on who's saying it. It is very hard to come to a common definition that makes everyone agree. But here's my attempt at it.

Everyone already knows you should in general be polite to strangers. There are very few people who actually think that belittling and slandering people in everyday speech is a good thing. But sometimes people do say things that are demeaning to other people, and that is what political correctness seeks to prevent. Over the years, what I have most often seen called political correctness is a system to codify how to avoid harming people by what you say, usually by declaring certain words to be forbidden to speak.

Now, on the one hand, a certain amount of setting apart words can be useful to aid discussion between people. For instance, on CAA, we forbid many vulgar words in order to avoid harming people who would be hurt by them. It's the same reason the system of political correctness forbids racial slurs.

But on the other hand, reducing a principle like "You shouldn't belittle or slander people" to a rigid set of rules is not actually possible. People can always get around the rules and claim they're being polite. And people can also feel like the rules impinge on their free speech in unnecessary ways. You cannot make a system that prevents only sins.

1. If by political correctness you mean you should try to be kind and not attempt to harm people by what you say, then political correctness is a good thing. Do please follow this principle, everyone!

2. If by political correctness you mean a system where some words or constructions are "incorrect" and others are "correct", in order to avoid the most blatant offenses and avoid misunderstandings, then political correctness can be a good thing, provided everyone is following the same rules and those rules actually make sense.
* To avoid confusion, I prefer to call this "etiquette", or "courtesy", or "social code".

3. If by political correctness you mean "anything that makes me feel offended should be forbidden", then please go away and grow some skin. I cannot pander to everyone's little quirks.

Midori

Postby Wallachia » Sat May 21, 2011 5:30 pm

"The White Caucasian and the Seven Vertically-Challenged Little People."
Because eventually, "Snow White and the Seven Dwarves" might be considered an offensive name... Oh, and that politically correct title might eventually be offensive too. Better change it to, "The Human and the Seven Others." while we can.

Better not say, "Merry Christmas!" when parting with a stranger on December 25th... They might storm back up to you and say, "The correct term is 'Happy Holidays!'" (or to some, 'Merry Xmas!') because they don't take kindly to the fact that you happen to celebrate the holiday under the specific name you're used to.
[SIZE="1"]
Sarcasm aside, I had so much more typed out below. Specifically regarding my opinion on this whole matter, but I started getting a headache so I'm just going to shorten it all...[/SIZE]

I don't really care about political correctness since I try to avoid saying anything offensive around someone I don't know (or does that mean I try to be politically correct?). I would never actually mean to say something that another person could find insulting, but some people call you out on the littlest things that just happen to be a part of your vocabulary, even when it's not directed at them.

Wallachia

Postby Nate » Sat May 21, 2011 5:58 pm

Midori wrote:But sometimes people do say things that are demeaning to other people, and that is what political correctness seeks to prevent. Over the years, what I have most often seen called political correctness is a system to codify how to avoid harming people by what you say, usually by declaring certain words to be forbidden to speak.

Right, and I honestly believe this is a good thing. For example...

WARNING: Possible triggers in the spoiler.
[SPOILER]"Man, those gas companies are totally raping us with their prices." This I think is absolutely uncalled for, it could be a trigger for someone who has suffered a traumatic experience, and not only that, but using the word so casually could be seen to trivialize the act of rape...and as such, people should not use the word in that context.[/SPOILER]
In the same vein as this, there are words and phrases that are not inherently "bad" in and of themselves, but could unintentionally hurt and upset people if they are used. The word in the spoiler is one of them, but there are other terms, which are not necessarily offensive by themselves, but could be hurtful to those who underwent a traumatic experience.

For example, the aforementioned conversation Jaden and I had about "targeting." It seems to be an innocuous word. Who could be offended by that? Well, what if a person had been held at gunpoint at some point in their lives? What if they had a family member who was the victim of a horrible shooting? The word "targeting" could trigger unpleasant memories or painful recollection of these events...and could seriously upset them. The word itself isn't necessarily negative, but it can do actual, real harm to people to hear such a word. And thus, it's probably best not to use the word at all, because there's no real reason to, especially when other similar words exist that wouldn't have those connotations (such as the one I suggested, "focusing").

And the problem is, and this isn't directed at Jaden (since he said he would probably use a different word out of politeness), there are people who would be total jerks and make a big rant about free speech and "People should just get over it" if someone asked them not to use the word "targeting" because it brought back painful memories. They don't care that they're hurting the other person, because as they see it, the person's complaint is "stupid" and "without merit." But again, this is not always the case, and there are usually legitimate reasons for why certain words are asked to not be used as far as political correctness goes.

I know some people would like to think that there's this group of shady people sitting in a dark dungeon going "Well say this word is offensive for no reason, just to inconvenience people!" and then cackle evilly, but this isn't the case. There are absolutely reasons why certain words are considered offensive.
And people can also feel like the rules impinge on their free speech in unnecessary ways.

Well, but then they're wrong. The First Amendment and the concept of free speech only applies to government restriction of speech. This is why you don't (and won't) see any laws passed prohibiting certain words or phrases, because that would be government regulation/restriction of speech. Companies and individuals, however, do have the right to restrict speech as they wish. That's why your boss can tell you that you're fired if you say certain things...he's not the government, and he has the right to fire you for what you say. Even on your Facebook. Which is why people should be careful what they post publicly on their social networking sites...your boss has the right to fire you for posts you make on there, it's not a free speech issue and the courts will not rule in your favor.

There are nuances, though, which is why we have companies like the FCC (who can fine networks/individuals for inappropriate language used on public airwaves) or the laws against inciting people to violence or doing things like shouting "fire" in a crowded theater.

Nate

Postby MrKrillz0r » Sat May 21, 2011 6:03 pm

Midori (post: 1480374) wrote:Well, I may regret stirring up more discussion in this thread with this, considering how close it is to a lock, but here's my take on political correctness, with which I hope almost everyone can agree in some fashion.

1. If by political correctness you mean you should try to be kind and not attempt to harm people by what you say, then political correctness is a good thing. Do please follow this principle, everyone!

2. If by political correctness you mean a system where some words or constructions are "incorrect" and others are "correct", in order to avoid the most blatant offenses and avoid misunderstandings, then political correctness can be a good thing, provided everyone is following the same rules and those rules actually make sense.

Well said. ^^
Game on!
MrKrillz0r

Postby Wallachia » Sat May 21, 2011 6:29 pm

Nate (post: 1480410) wrote:It seems to be an innocuous word. Who could be offended by that? Well, what if a person had been held at gunpoint at some point in their lives? What if they had a family member who was the victim of a horrible shooting? The word "targeting" could trigger unpleasant memories or painful recollection of these events...and could seriously upset them. The word itself isn't necessarily negative, but it can do actual, real harm to people to hear such a word. And thus, it's probably best not to use the word at all, because there's no real reason to, especially when other similar words exist that wouldn't have those connotations (such as the one I suggested, "focusing").

I think you're right, but avoiding the word, "targeting" in and of itself is ridiculous. If someone goes that far, then other words you used are exactly the same, like, "trigger", "unpleasant", "painful", "harm", and even, "focusing."

What if you gotta call something a target, when it's like one of those bulls-eye ones at an archery range? "Hit the focus." sounds silly, but in this case the correct answer would be to remove the violent archery range, bows, and arrows because it could upset somebody and bring back painful memories.

I totally agree with how the word, "rape" shouldn't be used casually, but avoiding the use of words because it might bring back painful memories is insane unless you know exactly what happened to somebody you're talking to and how they'll react to certain things.

There is a point where people need to calm down about the use of certain words, although that line can be very difficult to distinguish. Otherwise you better not speak in English to somebody who was held at gunpoint by an English speaking person! Better not drive a car in town because those people walking down the streets might have been hit by a truck!

Better ban all the violent words that can bring back bad memories.

You will never be safe from accidentally doing harm to another person by how you speak.

What if somebody had a bad experience with a dude named Jesus (not our Jesus)? Would you never talk to that person about Jesus unless you avoided saying Jesus' name?

I'm not really saying all of this to you specifically, I agree with being careful about what you say around others, but now I'm just ranting on about the craziness of avoiding... the English language... I can't even think of the proper things to say right now...

Wallachia

Postby Nate » Sat May 21, 2011 6:52 pm

Wallachia wrote:I think you're right, but avoiding the word, "targeting" in and of itself is ridiculous.

Someone being hurt by a word is ridiculous? That's your business I guess, I can only hope you never get put in the same situation, it's pretty unpleasant I can assure you. Certainly not ridiculous.
If someone goes that far, then other words you used are exactly the same, like, "trigger", "unpleasant", "painful", "harm", and even, "focusing."

Yes, "trigger" could conceivably be another one, but the other terms are nonsense to claim could be the same. "Trigger" and "target" can specifically be connected with guns and firearms, "unpleasant" can't.
What if you gotta call something a target, when it's like one of those bulls-eye ones at an archery range? "Hit the focus." sounds silly, but in this case the correct answer would be to remove the violent archery range, bows, and arrows because it could upset somebody and bring back painful memories.

I'd say the better answer would be that if a person was really that upset by the word "target" or such things, they probably wouldn't go to the fair or whatever in the first place because they wouldn't want to have to deal with it.
avoiding the use of words because it might bring back painful memories is insane unless you know exactly what happened to somebody you're talking to and how they'll react to certain things.

How is it insane to try and help people from having to relive traumatic experiences and be emotionally damaged? That sounds completely sane and loving to me. Now obviously, you can't account for every specific instance of things that have happened to people, you're right about that. But we can avoid words that have certain connotations, and well obviously if a person says "Hey this really upsets me because of this," usually a quick apology and a conscious effort to not use the language around that person will make things right again.

But to me, I cannot...I just cannot imagine hearing someone say "You know, I went through this traumatic experience, and hearing that word really scares and upsets and hurts me...could you please stop using it?" and responding "Pssh, shut up, grow a spine, quit being so thin-skinned and get over it!" That just seems horrible and inhuman...despite the fact I have seen fellow humans respond in exactly that way.
You will never be safe from accidentally doing harm to another person by how you speak.

Absolutely true. But we can do our best to prevent it. While accidents can and do happen, we can do things to help reduce the chance of those accidents. For example, it'd be pretty stupid of me to say "I'll never be safe from accidentally wrecking my car, so I don't need to drive safely!" That's dumb. By driving recklessly, I drastically increase my chances of doing something to harm myself.

And likewise, by speaking and using harmful words and phrases, we drastically increase our chances of harming others by what we say. So while we can never fully prevent others from being offended, we can definitely take steps to reduce the chances of it happening, by avoiding certain words and phrases. And if someone is offended, again, usually a sincere apology and effort to not use the word/phrase again will make everything fine again.
What if somebody had a bad experience with a dude named Jesus (not our Jesus)?

To be fair, usually people in modern times with that name have it pronounced differently. XD
Would you never talk to that person about Jesus unless you avoided saying Jesus' name?

Sure, why not? Not like Jesus was His actual name, it was Yeshua ben Yosef.

Nate

Postby Midori » Sat May 21, 2011 7:14 pm

Nate wrote:Right, and I honestly believe this is a good thing. For example...
Yeah, in general, I think some regulation is good in most communities. However, I prefer not to call it "political correctness" because, as you have seen in this thread, many people take offense to that word. It is quite ironic, but the term 'politically correct' seems to have become politically incorrect.
Nate wrote:Well, but then they're wrong. The First Amendment and the concept of free speech only applies to government restriction of speech.
I wasn't specifically referring to the government-granted right to free speech. I meant that if you take the rules of etiquette too far, to the point where they become burdensome, to the point where they cause more distress to the people speaking than it saves for the people being spoken to, then that is not a good thing.

At any rate, I am assuming that since you argued with the more minor points of my post, that you more or less agreed with main points. If so, I would be much happier if you acknowledged that before arguing with the places you disagree. Remember that word selection is not the only part of proper etiquette.
Midori

Postby minakichan » Sat May 21, 2011 7:20 pm

I'm late to the party and I don't feel like reading everything in this thread so here! Two cents.

I don't think it's useful to say political correctness is "good" or "bad" but that in some cases it's better to use and in some cases maybe not so much. I think that sometimes the risk of treading on people's feelings isn't worth the political correctness.

As an example, in Disney's Mulan, the writers avoided using the term "Mongols" for the invaders (who are... from Mongolia) because it's an outdated derogatory term for people with mental disabilities (also a somewhat politically incorrect term), so they went with "Huns." Now, anyone who a) knows any world history at all and b) has access to a map can see that this doesn't make any sense, and certainly the Huns had nothing to do with the China invasion. It's true the movie is a fictional adaptation, but here they're rewriting history and geography to appease sensitivities. It's certainly not the fault of Mongolia and the Mongols that some people are jerks and have to appropriate the name for discrimination, and I don't think it's worth rewriting history.

(Notably, Mulan II, despite being a travesty, decided that maybe Mongol was actually okay anyway, so they used that name =/ )

On another note, being politically correct is sometimes nearly impossible. For quite a while, the politically correct term for a deaf person was "hearing-impaired" because it was seen as far less offensive than the word "deaf;" now that word is completely taboo because it suggests that deaf people are less able than people who are not deaf. The word deaf itself is sometimes considered politically incorrect too. In cases like this, how do you refer to someone whose... uh, auditory capabilities are not as capable as the average person without referring to the fact that they are in some way less capable than (the politically incorrect concept of) an average person? Even "hard-of-hearing," the currently preferred phrase, still suggests this.
ImageImage
minakichan

Postby Nate » Sat May 21, 2011 7:27 pm

I figured they changed it to Huns so that they could have the lyrics "Let's get down to business/To defeat the Huns/Did they send me daughters/When I asked for sons?" Because seriously, what rhymes with "Mongol?"

Nate

Postby Wallachia » Sat May 21, 2011 7:32 pm

Midori (post: 1480428) wrote:It is quite ironic, but the term 'politically correct' seems to have become politically incorrect.

It's a crazy downward spiral, where everyone will eventually refuse to acknowledge the existence of body parts, color, height, violent words, and of general motions or actions because they might trigger bad memories or be considered rude to that random stranger watching you across the street.

Eventually, any terms relating to a human being will be impolite, and "human" will be the only correct way to refer to somebody else. Then finally, "human" will be considered impolite if it doesn't end with, "being."

[SIZE="1"]1337-SP3@E|<iNG /\/\@2Te2 R@C3 will be the only language available to people not wanting to offend, because nobody will understand them.[/SIZE]

minakichan (post: 1480430) wrote:so they went with "Huns."

Nate (post: 1480432) wrote:I figured they changed it to Huns so that they could have the lyrics "Let's get down to business/To defeat the Huns/Did they send me daughters/When I asked for sons?" Because seriously, what rhymes with "Mongol?"

Exactly.

Now that I have that song stuck in my head, I feel pretty good...

Wallachia

Postby Midori » Sat May 21, 2011 7:38 pm

Is it just me, or is the topic of political correctness full of slippery slope arguments, on both sides?
Midori

Postby Radical Dreamer » Sat May 21, 2011 7:43 pm

Wallachia (post: 1480435) wrote:It's a crazy downward spiral, where everyone will eventually refuse to acknowledge the existence of body parts, color, height, violent words, and of general motions or actions because they might trigger bad memories or be considered rude to that random stranger watching you across the street.

Eventually, any terms relating to a human being will be impolite, and "human" will be the only correct way to refer to somebody else. Then finally, "human" will be considered impolite if it doesn't end with, "being."

I hope you're being sarcastic, because this is a ridiculously unlikely scenario. XD We're not living in a George Orwell novel just because certain words have been deemed impolite. Yes, sometimes the concept of PC can go overboard, but it's not on the downward spiral that I think you're making it out to be, here (again, if you're not being sarcastic XD).

Also, as far as I'm aware, the deaf community is still referred to as "the deaf community," and even "hearing-impaired" is still pretty common, unless I'm missing something. XD
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Previous Next

Return to General