Women pursuing men

Talk about anything in here.

Postby broly146 » Fri May 13, 2011 2:36 pm

GeneD (post: 1478767) wrote:From conversations I've had with male family and friends I do think that I, and possibly women in general, sometimes perceive guys as creepy when they are (apparently) just being nice.

I also have a problem of having creeper bells go off when a guy (that I don't really know) is overly friendly. I don't know why but I automatically think that they want something or, if it's someone I don't know, that they want to sell me something. This probably says more about my social skills than anything else though.

Maybe girls just have a more sensitive creeper alarm that sometimes trips too easily and always subjectively.

Ironically, I was listening to this song while reading this thread and thought to myself how I would find it "creepy" if was, for example, an unattractive man singing it. Unfortunate double standard, I guess.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-5GzjsxGU0

A problem that might arise with compliments is that if the girl has a bad self-image, compliments can actually make her feel worse, although that won't necessarily make the guy seem creepy.

I'm no girl, but I agree with you. When I start a conversation I usually start with a "Hi, how are you today?". I only give compliments to girls if I know them enough (like 2-3 years).
It's not whether you can or can't do it, it is if you do it or not. Nothing comes easy in this world, especially a job or money. I rely on Jesus to get me through these hard times of persecution.
broly146

Postby Wind » Fri May 13, 2011 2:45 pm

my view on this subject as well as many is that people have a right to make their own choices and they aren't any more or less than another person just because they choose differently. People are all different and God loves Diversity and all of Gods Children should love one another.
F.K.A. JadeFox, HisuiKitsune
Quote= MrRogers 03:32 - politics have nothing to do with good pizza

chatbot 02:56 - Wind asks, did I kill the chat
My answer: Yes

chatbot 01:55 - Wind asks, is diamonddragon shatterproof??
My answer: Yes

Wind 01:55 - O.O

Wind 01:55 - noooooooo

chatbot 01:55 - Wind asks, Am I shatterproof?
My answer: No

DiamondDragon 01:57 - YAYS, I'M SHATTERPROOF!!!!!!!!

Sparx00 02:55 - Mean loaf is the loaf of the gods

Strafe 01:09 - I'm a hotcake
Strafe 01:10 - I am a very hot cake

rocklobster 01:17 - "What's the point of being an adult if you can't be childish sometimes?"

Strafe 02:38 - ~EWWW BOYS ARE NASTYYYY!~
Wind

Postby Radical Dreamer » Fri May 13, 2011 2:49 pm

Typically, I can tell the difference between when a guy is being creepy, and when a guy is just being nice. There have been instances where I've passed a random stranger on my way to class who complimented something about my appearance that came off as a genuinely kind thing to say. And then there have been instances where I've been barked at, cat-called, whistled at, etc. that come off as rude and 100% creepy. I don't think most women see all compliments as creepy, but there's certainly a difference between "hey, I like your outfit!" and "HEEY. REED. TURN AROUND, RED!" I mean seriously. XD
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby broly146 » Fri May 13, 2011 2:51 pm

But, there are certain lines you don't want to cross.
It's not whether you can or can't do it, it is if you do it or not. Nothing comes easy in this world, especially a job or money. I rely on Jesus to get me through these hard times of persecution.
broly146

Postby Yamamaya » Fri May 13, 2011 3:37 pm

Radical Dreamer (post: 1478792) wrote:Typically, I can tell the difference between when a guy is being creepy, and when a guy is just being nice. There have been instances where I've passed a random stranger on my way to class who complimented something about my appearance that came off as a genuinely kind thing to say. And then there have been instances where I've been barked at, cat-called, whistled at, etc. that come off as rude and 100% creepy. I don't think most women see all compliments as creepy, but there's certainly a difference between "hey, I like your outfit!" and "HEEY. REED. TURN AROUND, RED!" I mean seriously. XD

Yep, there's a difference between flattery and just being flat out rude and obnoxious. I don't understand guys who do that as anything other than some kind of joke, because it's not going to win them any points.

BTW I would probably do an awesome pose if someone told me to "TURN AROUND RED."

Yamamaya

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Fri May 13, 2011 3:53 pm

GeneD (post: 1478767) wrote:From conversations I've had with male family and friends I do think that I, and possibly women in general, sometimes perceive guys as creepy when they are (apparently) just being nice.

I also have a problem of having creeper bells go off when a guy (that I don't really know) is overly friendly. I don't know why but I automatically think that they want something or, if it's someone I don't know, that they want to sell me something. This probably says more about my social skills than anything else though.

Maybe girls just have a more sensitive creeper alarm that sometimes trips too easily and always subjectively.

Ironically, I was listening to this song while reading this thread and thought to myself how I would find it "creepy" if was, for example, an unattractive man singing it. Unfortunate double standard, I guess.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-5GzjsxGU0

A problem that might arise with compliments is that if the girl has a bad self-image, compliments can actually make her feel worse, although that won't necessarily make the guy seem creepy.

I think that a guy can be not-creepy when complimenting when he's got a lot of charm.

Charm works wonders. It's what gets girls willing to talk to you! Men! Let's all learn to be more charming! :D

Edit: BAM! http://www.wikihow.com/Be-Charming
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Maledicte » Fri May 13, 2011 4:04 pm

Radical Dreamer (post: 1478792) wrote:Typically, I can tell the difference between when a guy is being creepy, and when a guy is just being nice. There have been instances where I've passed a random stranger on my way to class who complimented something about my appearance that came off as a genuinely kind thing to say. And then there have been instances where I've been barked at, cat-called, whistled at, etc. that come off as rude and 100% creepy. I don't think most women see all compliments as creepy, but there's certainly a difference between "hey, I like your outfit!" and "HEEY. REED. TURN AROUND, RED!" I mean seriously. XD

Same. I've been honked at/catcalled/whistled at since I was 16 and have enjoyed none of the attention. However, once a young man complimented me on my outfit while I was at the library, and he didn't follow me around or try to further engage me beyond that, since I was minding my own business. There's actually not a fine line between being lewd and being nice.

Also a huge difference between being pushy and insensitive ("Hey, SMILE! Why aren't you smiling??") and giving a genuine compliment ("You have a nice smile.").
Maledicte

Postby Yuki-Anne » Fri May 13, 2011 5:58 pm

I don't mind being cat-called too much if I never see the person again, mostly because it's just a little flattering, and it can also be a pretty funny story if the person was ridiculous enough. Like, one time me and Laura (Zelda) were walking down the street and this car sped past, honked, and the person shouted out the window, "HOOOOOOTT!" It was just really funny. We never saw the person again so it wasn't creepy, it was just strange.

I'm kind of used to receiving compliments from strangers because I grew up in New Mexico and red hair is extremely rare there, so I got comments on it all the time. As long as someone just says something in passing and doesn't try to create a relationship out of thin air based on the fact that they like your looks, I think it's okay.
New and improved Yuki-Anne: now with blog: http://anneinjapan.blog.com
Yuki-Anne

Postby Yamamaya » Fri May 13, 2011 6:12 pm

Yuki-Anne (post: 1478846) wrote:I'm kind of used to receiving compliments from strangers because I grew up in New Mexico and red hair is extremely rare there, so I got comments on it all the time. As long as someone just says something in passing and doesn't try to create a relationship out of thin air based on the fact that they like your looks, I think it's okay.

That's happened to me as well. I've had quite a few ladies tell me that they want my hair color. Red hair is rare everywhere though.
Yamamaya

Postby Yuki-Anne » Fri May 13, 2011 7:34 pm

Not in [s]hell[/s]Missouri...
Yuki-Anne

Postby Yamamaya » Fri May 13, 2011 9:03 pm

Yuki-Anne (post: 1478872) wrote:Not in [s]hell[/s]Missouri...

Orly? That's interesting.

Funny story about red hair. One of my friends REALLY likes girls with red hair. I mean REALLY likes them. The funny thing was he converted me into really liking them as well, which is kind of strange considering I do have red hair. I never thought about my hair color at all until that silly ginger controversy in recent years with England and that kid who screams, "GINGERS DO HAVE SOULS!"

Hair color isn't really a big deal for me when it comes to girls. I like all kinds of different girls. It's like with food. It's good to have diverse tastes eh?(although that's a bad analogy).
Yamamaya

Postby Yuki-Anne » Fri May 13, 2011 10:05 pm

I know what you mean, though. I have a general type that I'm attracted to but I've found myself attracted to wide range of features in guys.
Yuki-Anne

Postby broly146 » Mon May 16, 2011 9:23 am

With me, it is the personality and character I look for. Looks aren't a big deal to me.
broly146

Postby Sheenar » Mon May 16, 2011 1:25 pm

Personality and beliefs are most important to me. If he looks good in Wranglers, well ---that would be a definite plus. :D
"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." 2 Corinthians 4:16-18

"Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves."
Sheenar

Postby That Dude » Tue May 17, 2011 3:10 pm

For me it comes down to character, beliefs, personality...Then looks. Because, honestly, looks are important. The good thing about that though that can give people hope is that what people find attractive is in the eye of the beholder. Some people with think someone's attractive that I would never bother a second glance at, and vice versa.
I am convinced that many men who preach the gospel and love the Lord are really misunderstood. People make a “profession,â€
That Dude

Postby USSRGirl » Tue May 17, 2011 8:38 pm

XD I'm with Yuki on the random catcalls being annoying but depending on the context I usually think more "lol" than "creep." Seems like teenage boys will do that to any girl to impress their friends,

... to add my latest creeper story. Earlier today as I was riding to Hastings, some teenage boys were driving by in their pickup... whistled at me and said they liked my bike (um... okay?). I just rolled my eyes and kept riding. It was more lulzy than creepy really and kinda flattering I guess.

I think I fall in with most of the others in terms of what to look for in a guy. Character and personality - he should be a nice guy. XD Someone who's like your bestfriend and you have a long term future with. It's important that he's a Christian for me as I want someone who supports me in that regard. A professor of mine who is also a good friend told me that if someone doesn't support you in your dreams/life, don't be with them. True facts. That's so important in a spouse. ... smexy looks are good too... just sayin...

Edit: Should probably add that I'm 21... so yeah. XD Lulz.
USSRGirl

Postby Yuki-Anne » Tue May 17, 2011 10:07 pm

USSRGirl (post: 1479735) wrote:A professor of mine who is also a good friend told me that if someone doesn't support you in your dreams/life, don't be with them.

Well, yeah. I couldn't really be with a guy who wanted nothing to do with Japan.
Yuki-Anne

Postby Yamamaya » Tue May 17, 2011 10:16 pm

Yuki-Anne (post: 1479743) wrote:Well, yeah. I couldn't really be with a guy who wanted nothing to do with Japan.

Rather off topic, but I knew a real jerk once who was extremely prejudiced against the Japanese. He would regularly make comments about how "evil they were" and we(America) had to kill them in WWII because they were so different from us. He also made jokes about killing all of the Japanese people. I'm not joking.

Of course, this guy was also an idiot, redneck,homophobe, and generally a jerk. Occassionaly, he could be a nice/funny person, but then again everyone has two sides.
Yamamaya

Postby Nekomimi » Thu May 19, 2011 1:59 am

This is a fun thread. And funny at times. On the topic of creeper stories, I gotta admit that I've been both the creeper & the creeped out. I've had a "fan" from jail who wrote letters to the radio station insisting I was his girlfriend - after only hearing my voice on :10-second liners XP On the flip side, in high school, I was so shy, I'd leave notes for guys I liked in their books, in their lockers, or on their desks, since my throat would dry up just looking at them T_T;; The guys, however, would look freaked out, & understandably so, looking back at things...

I've gotten better w/ my social skills, but not by much XD I still don't get subtle social cues, but at least I'm better about verbalizing my emotions in front of the person rather than being all stalkery.
Nekomimi

Postby broly146 » Thu May 19, 2011 8:18 am

[quote="Nekomimi (post: 1479954)"]This is a fun thread. And funny at times. On the topic of creeper stories, I gotta admit that I've been both the creeper & the creeped out. I've had a "fan" from jail who wrote letters to the radio station insisting I was his girlfriend - after only hearing my voice on :10-second liners XP On the flip side, in high school, I was so shy, I'd leave notes for guys I liked in their books, in their lockers, or on their desks, since my throat would dry up just looking at them T_T]

I was never good with letters:sweat:
broly146

Postby That Dude » Thu May 19, 2011 6:07 pm

[quote="Nekomimi (post: 1479954)"]This is a fun thread. And funny at times. On the topic of creeper stories, I gotta admit that I've been both the creeper & the creeped out. I've had a "fan" from jail who wrote letters to the radio station insisting I was his girlfriend - after only hearing my voice on :10-second liners XP On the flip side, in high school, I was so shy, I'd leave notes for guys I liked in their books, in their lockers, or on their desks, since my throat would dry up just looking at them T_T]

I take it you work as a DJ or something?
I am convinced that many men who preach the gospel and love the Lord are really misunderstood. People make a “profession,â€
That Dude

Postby steenajack » Fri May 20, 2011 6:21 pm

Nekomimi (post: 1479954) wrote:
I've gotten better w/ my social skills, but not by much XD I still don't get subtle social cues, but at least I'm better about verbalizing my emotions in front of the person rather than being all stalkery.

Same here actually. I'm socially challenged/quirky myself and struggle with social cues and the like. I've gotten better, but I still struggle. It's kinda nice to meet someone you have something in commen with. ^^; Nice to meet you.

Also, what ThatDude asked, you work on the radio?
Please, feel free to check out my sites:

My Deviant Art[/color]
MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!!!
My FictionPress[/color]
My tumblr[/color] Read...fave...reblog...repeat...
steenajack

Postby TheMewster » Fri May 20, 2011 6:41 pm

Nekomimi (post: 1479954) wrote:I've gotten better w/ my social skills, but not by much XD I still don't get subtle social cues, but at least I'm better about verbalizing my emotions in front of the person rather than being all stalkery.

I feel your pain. I have social issues too. We challenged ones need to stick together! God bless!

Oh, and like Steenajack and That Dude said, you a DJ or something?
So the poor has hope, and injustice shuts her mouth. ~Job 5:16 WEB~
For you are my hope, Lord Yahweh; my confidence from my youth. ~Psalm 71:5 WEB~
TheMewster

Postby TopazRaven » Fri May 20, 2011 6:41 pm

I'm not sure if this would be considered a creeper story, but it sure was awkward. I'm just remembering this now because I was out with some friends last night and we started talking about people we used to hang out with a lot in the past, but not so much now. There is this kid whom I used to babysit, I've known him pretty much since he was born. He's hit his teenage years. Oh joy! To put it simply we where talking over Facebook one day and he told me to do something um...very inappropriate. I said no thanks. His response was, "you know you want to." I know it was probably a joke, but it just felt really really wrong. You don't talk to your former babysiter/family friend since childhood like that! The kid is like 5 years younger then me to, I don't know what he was thinking.
For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

NIV, Romans 8:38-39.
TopazRaven

Postby TheMewster » Fri May 20, 2011 6:47 pm

TopazRaven (post: 1480244) wrote:I'm not sure if this would be considered a creeper story, but it sure was awkward. I'm just remembering this now because I was out with some friends last night and we started talking about people we used to hang out with a lot in the past, but not so much now. There is this kid whom I used to babysit, I've known him pretty much since he was born. He's hit his teenage years. Oh joy! To put it simply we where talking over Facebook one day and he told me to do something um...very inappropriate. I said no thanks. His response was, "you know you want to." I know it was probably a joke, but it just felt really really wrong. You don't talk to your former babysiter/family friend since childhood like that! The kid is like 5 years younger then me to, I don't know what he was thinking.

That's teenagers for ya. Sadly, most of our kind can't wait for marriage and are doing it even before high school! :bang::bang: Now, no debating this and derailing the thread people. :)
As for women pursuing men... it's up to them I guess.
So the poor has hope, and injustice shuts her mouth. ~Job 5:16 WEB~
For you are my hope, Lord Yahweh; my confidence from my youth. ~Psalm 71:5 WEB~
TheMewster

Postby Atria35 » Fri May 20, 2011 8:33 pm

TopazRaven (post: 1480244) wrote:I'm not sure if this would be considered a creeper story, but it sure was awkward. I'm just remembering this now because I was out with some friends last night and we started talking about people we used to hang out with a lot in the past, but not so much now. There is this kid whom I used to babysit, I've known him pretty much since he was born. He's hit his teenage years. Oh joy! To put it simply we where talking over Facebook one day and he told me to do something um...very inappropriate. I said no thanks. His response was, "you know you want to." I know it was probably a joke, but it just felt really really wrong. You don't talk to your former babysiter/family friend since childhood like that! The kid is like 5 years younger then me to, I don't know what he was thinking.

And that's when you respond: Guess who's mom is gonna hear about this!
Atria35

Postby Yamamaya » Fri May 20, 2011 9:01 pm

Atria35 (post: 1480282) wrote:And that's when you respond: Guess who's mom is gonna hear about this!

O snap!

This kid is just one of many teenage boys who don't know how to handle all the new feelings of puberty so they do the most sensible thing in their minds and hit on their ex babysiter.
Yamamaya

Postby TopazRaven » Fri May 20, 2011 9:02 pm

Atria35 (post: 1480282) wrote:And that's when you respond: Guess who's mom is gonna hear about this!

I just found it far to embarrassing. He's been good since then in least.
For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

TopazRaven

Postby Sheenar » Sun May 22, 2011 6:35 pm

While I was looking around the pharmacy area today in HEB (a grocery chain in TX), I was approached by an older man in a blue jean jacket.

Man: "Hey, you'd look good on my motorcycle. Do you like to ride motorcycles?"

Me: "Not particularly." (I turn and walk toward the pharmacy counter.)

Man: "Sorry to bother you."

So very random...and a bit creepy. lol
"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." 2 Corinthians 4:16-18

"Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves."
Sheenar

Postby TopazRaven » Sun May 22, 2011 7:22 pm

LOL. Well, in least he said he was sorry.

TopazRaven

Previous Next

Return to General