What are you reading?

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

Postby bigsleepj » Sat May 07, 2011 7:41 am

ich1990 (post: 1476930) wrote:A peculiar read. I didn't like it, although many do. 5/10

Heh. Dan Simmons liked it and partially built his sci-fi books Ilium and Olympos around it. Caliban, in hall his nightmare inducing glory, is a villain in the story.
Unwise Toasting Sermon

The Sweet Smell of CAA
The Avatar Christian Ronin designed for me
An Avatar KhakiBlue gave to me
The avatar Termyt made for me

KhakiBlueSocks wrote:"I'm going to make you a prayer request you can't refuse..." Cue the violins. :lol:

Current Avatar by SirThinks2much - thank you very much! :thumb::)
bigsleepj

Postby rocklobster » Sun May 08, 2011 1:39 pm

Starting Finding God in the Lord of the Rings by Kurt Bruner and Jim Ware.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Sun May 08, 2011 2:06 pm

rocklobster wrote:Starting Finding God in the Lord of the Rings by Kurt Bruner and Jim Ware.

I never liked those "Finding God in Blahbidy-Blah" books. For me, they just kill the fun of the story by dissecting it.

I spent $30 on a set of 13 Goosebumps books at the used book shop (it's a good deal considering individual books are $3 each). Score.
If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Postby ShiroiHikari » Sun May 08, 2011 2:39 pm

Htom Sirveaux (post: 1477610) wrote:I never liked those "Finding God in Blahbidy-Blah" books. For me, they just kill the fun of the story by dissecting it.

Same. I don't need a book to tell me how to find God in things. Also finding God in LOTR is pretty easy to do.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Thunder Caya » Sun May 08, 2011 2:58 pm

I'm reading Perry Mason and the Case of the Lucky Loser.
Made of equal parts fail and win.
Thunder Caya

Postby Nanao » Sun May 08, 2011 3:24 pm

Unnatural Death by Dorothy Sayers... which is rather a funny title given that most of her mysteries are about unnatural deaths to begin with.
[color="RoyalBlue"]My help comes from the Lord, maker of heaven and earth.[/color] Psalm 121:2
[color="Pink"]@)[/color][color="Green"]}~`,~[/color] Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.
Nanao

Postby rocklobster » Mon May 09, 2011 4:30 am

Starting Shade's Children by Garth Nix
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."

my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby uc pseudonym » Tue May 10, 2011 1:59 am

Lords of Poverty by Graham Hancock

The tagline is "the power, prestige, and corruption of the international aid business" which tells you most of what you need to know. This book is somewhat dated (late 80s) but the striking thing is how much of it is still true. Large-scale international aid is a severely broken system in which many people become rich while helping no one, or give the things they don't want in order to ease their consciences. Though the book is advancing various arguments about flaws in the system, it has numerous examples of waste, mismanagement, and opulence amid poverty.

This isn't the place for an essay, though, so I'll close with part of a poem it includes. "The Development Set" is a so-so poem but it has a few good stanzas, these being particularly representative of the book's attitude:

"In Sheraton hotels in scattered nations,
We d--n multinational corporations;
Injustice seems so easy to protest,
In such seething hotbeds of social rest.

We discuss malnutrition over steaks
And plan hunger talks during coffee breaks.
Whether Asian floods or African drought,
We face each issue with an open mouth."

Htom Sirveaux wrote:I never liked those "Finding God in Blahbidy-Blah" books. For me, they just kill the fun of the story by dissecting it.

Not a fan either. Though I don't mean to judge the people who read such books, I'm inclined to think they could all be titled Finding Money in the Newest Pop Culture Thing.
uc pseudonym

Postby Narnian » Wed May 11, 2011 12:01 am

Arthur by Steven R. Lawhead, the second book in The Swan's War series, How Should We Then Live, The Consequences of Ideas, and the Bible.
[align=center]Christ follower, cosplayer, and anime fan. Jesus is the best!

2 Corinthians 2:14-15
14 Now thanks be to God who always leads us in triumph in Christ, and through us diffuses the fragrance of His knowledge in every place. 15 For we are to God the fragrance of Christ among those who are being saved and among those who are perishing.

MAL
Blog
DA
Christian cosplayers unite!
DA
Narnian

Postby That Dude » Wed May 11, 2011 5:36 pm

Narnian (post: 1478235) wrote:Arthur by Steven R. Lawhead, the second book in The Swan's War series, How Should We Then Live, The Consequences of Ideas, and the Bible.

How Should We Then Live is one of my alltime faves! Good choice! And Lawhead is rad too.
I am convinced that many men who preach the gospel and love the Lord are really misunderstood. People make a “profession,â€
That Dude

Postby Maledicte » Wed May 11, 2011 11:07 pm

The Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss. His writing is like a perfectly crafted musical instrument. Fitting, since his main character is a musician.
Narnian wrote:The Swan's War series

I'd never heard of that before you mentioned it, and am going to hit the library up for it right now.
Maledicte

Postby ich1990 » Thu May 12, 2011 5:03 pm

Vagabonding: An Uncommon Guide to the Art of Long-Term World Travel” by Rolf Potts

I was watching Dr. Who one evening, wishing I had my own blue time travel box (and knowledgeable alien tour guide), when the absurdity of my own wishes hit me. Why would I want the ability to travel to other planets when I had hardly even began to explore my own? At that point I decided I would travel the world.

I am still a very long ways away from achieving this goal in both the finance and free time departments, but the desire hasn't diminished. So, while I can't actually go on my own adventures, I can read about others'. Rolf Potts had shown up several times on the internet world as an expert and extensive world traveler. It made sense for me to eventually read his books as well as his blog posts.

When people vacation for the short term, they tend to do so in short bursts of violent escapism. When these same people find themselves a chance to vacation for the long term, then, they easily get burned out. Traveling the world for long periods of time requires a certain mindset, a certain psychological approach, otherwise it quickly ceases to be enjoyable. In this book, Potts tries to pin down what that necessary mindset is and offers it to the reader through the lens of his own experience. He throws in a liberal dose of quotations from long dead travelers and poets on the side.

While this philosophical book didn't do very much to fan the flames of my wanderlust, it did provide sound information for those who are currently on the road (and especially those who are tired of being on the road). I think I will pick this book up again after my travels are underway, as it will be more meaningful to me then. 7/10

The Rough Guide to Your First Time Around the World” by Doug Lansky

In stark contrast to “Vagabonding” this volume is all about the logistics and practicality of world travel. In fact, I would go so far as to say that nothing else in the genre has been so generally helpful specifically useful to me in my travel planning. While an area specific guidebook would supplement this volume nicely, all the basics are here. If you are serious about wanting to travel around the world, this book will get you off on the right foot. 10/10

Atria wrote:So a deep work, it is not. One that is thoroughly for enjoyment and takes full advantage of the stage, it is.
That point of view makes sense. Like a movie with first rate SFX and no plot can still do well in its time, The Tempest was a success when it was first written.

BigSleepJ wrote:Heh. Dan Simmons liked it and partially built his sci-fi books Ilium and Olympos around it. Caliban, in hall his nightmare inducing glory, is a villain in the story.
How can you turn Caliban into a villain? In the play he is practically a lame dog that everyone either pities or kicks.
Where an Eidolon, named night, on a black throne reigns upright.
ich1990

Postby rocklobster » Fri May 13, 2011 4:05 am

Starting Summer Knight. I'm told this is where The Dresden files really starts.

my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Fri May 13, 2011 6:05 pm

I read all of We Make Our Own Destiny: Behind the Scenes of Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time :grin: It's a lot like reading an in-depth behind-the-scenes, like LotR. Lots of awesome pictures too. All of my questions that were left unanswered in the lousy documentary on the DVD were more than answered here, so I'm satisfied.

I'm also maybe halfway through Live from Middle America: Rants from a Red-State Comedian by Brad Stine. Very very funny, even if I've heard some of his rants several times from his stand-up comedian performances. This is a great read for a Christian and/or conservative who likes sarcastic humor, I think. The thing I like the most about Brad Stine is that he gives excellent messages that happen to be hilarious, like the quote I've got in my sig. I loved that after a funny rant about spanking children being a good thing, he said, "Discipline is crucial to establishing boundaries for kids who desperately need to know they are loved enough to be told no."
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby bigsleepj » Fri May 13, 2011 9:47 pm

ich1990 (post: 1478584) wrote:How can you turn Caliban into a villain? In the play he is practically a lame dog that everyone either pities or kicks.

That question is best answered by reading said books, since half the fun is it being an ontological mystery. Seriously, the set-up and back-story of LOST is less complicated.
Unwise Toasting Sermon

The Sweet Smell of CAA
The Avatar Christian Ronin designed for me
An Avatar KhakiBlue gave to me
The avatar Termyt made for me

KhakiBlueSocks wrote:"I'm going to make you a prayer request you can't refuse..." Cue the violins. :lol:

Current Avatar by SirThinks2much - thank you very much! :thumb::)
bigsleepj

Postby Masquerade1412 » Sat May 14, 2011 8:43 am

Soon I shall begin "The Body in the Library" by Agatha Christie.
(I got the idea from rocklobster!)
Also: After the Funeral by A.C.
and Cat Among the Pigeons by A.C.
(I declare that from henceforth this day will forever be known as Agatha Christie Day!!)
Masquerade1412

Postby ich1990 » Sat May 14, 2011 7:55 pm

“Alice's Adventures in Wonderlandâ€
Where an Eidolon, named night, on a black throne reigns upright.
ich1990

Postby Nami » Mon May 16, 2011 6:50 am

[quote="ich1990 (post: 1479067)"]“Alice's Adventures in Wonderlandâ€
[color="Red"][SIZE="3"]Swiftly Dissin' and never Missin'.
Yours Truly,
Sick of all the BSin'.[/SIZE][/color]
Nami

Location: Sitting in a tree, waiting for you. *sinister grin*

Postby rocklobster » Mon May 16, 2011 4:36 pm

Starting Tears of a Dragon by Bryan Davis.

my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Mon May 16, 2011 4:47 pm

Nami (post: 1479296) wrote:Currently reading]I am not a Serial Killer[/B] thank you Fu-chan!

Awesome! When you're done tell me what you thought of it! :D
Hats wrote:"Frodo! Cast off your [s]sins[/s] into the fire!"

EllaEdric 06:53 -IM SO UNEQUIPPED TO BE A MAN ITS NOT EVEN FUNNY.
FllMtl Novelist

Postby Blacklight » Mon May 16, 2011 10:38 pm

Saturday, I finished The Hunger Games.
I'll be honest. I didn't love it, though so many people around me seemed to. I can't really make much of it yet, but it didn't make a huge impression on me. It was engaging, and read quickly (when I had time to read it), I'll give it that, it was interesting, but I can't say that it was particularly good or bad for me.

Next up: Rereading Howl's Moving Castle (I hope... but the library hold will be up before I get home...)
[color="Blue"]@)[/color][color="Green"]}~`,~[/color]
[font="Book Antiqua"][color="DeepSkyBlue"]Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.[/color][/font]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[color="Pink"]chatbot 03:36 - Blacklight asks, are you sane?
My answer: It's hard to say, really.[/color]
Blacklight

Postby Edward » Tue May 17, 2011 12:17 pm

Blacklight (post: 1479467) wrote:Saturday, I finished The Hunger Games.
I'll be honest. I didn't love it, though so many people around me seemed to. I can't really make much of it yet, but it didn't make a huge impression on me. It was engaging, and read quickly (when I had time to read it), I'll give it that, it was interesting, but I can't say that it was particularly good or bad for me.

I know what you mean about The Hunger Games. I honestly didn't care enough to read the third book, but I'll try to finish the series up sometime this summer.

I'll be reading Warbreaker by Brandon Sanderson, as soon as I am done with the book I'm reading right now, unless I change my mind before then.
[thread=43825]MOES[/thread] One sig to rule them all. One sig to find them. One sig to bring them all, and in 250 px or less bind them. In the land of Mordor, where the sigs do not scroll.

Real men don't sparkle, real men defeat dark wizards.

"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."

chatbot 07:24 - Edward asks, do you ever give relevant answers chatty?
My answer: No
Edward

Postby Nami » Wed May 18, 2011 6:30 am

Blacklight (post: 1479467) wrote:Saturday, I finished The Hunger Games.

Next up: Rereading Howl's Moving Castle (I hope... but the library hold will be up before I get home...)

I know exactly what you mean. It was interesting, but.. I don't understand the hype over it >> sure it was OK.. I didn't feel like reading the second one though...what does that say? XD

YAY! Howl's Moving Castle is teh best! :D Oh, have you read the second and third book to it? XD they are good too.

FllMtl Novelist (post: 1479394) wrote:Awesome! When you're done tell me what you thought of it! :D

I SHALL! :D
Yours Truly,
Nami

Postby Nami » Fri May 20, 2011 10:55 am

Ermmm sorry I can't edit my post.

I am not a Serial Killer by Dan Wells. This book..is a whole lot more than the title gives it credit for. But its REALLY not for anyone who is easily frightened by serial killers. Because the writer delves into the mind of people who struggle with this issue while adding a touch of fantasy to spice things up. On a whole, the read was BRILLIANT! I loved the struggle that our main character John has with his inner demon. Its nice to see a writer actually touching a true thing in humans, and how we should be treating them. Just because they don't feel empathy doesn't mean they aren't human. The Writer REALLY brings to light the small things that can set people like that one edge and he deals with his character well. IT's a truly remarkable read and I suggest it to anyone who likes serial killers. XD John is a hero btw. Not that he'd say he was.
Yours Truly,
Nami

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Fri May 20, 2011 2:01 pm

I've started reading Lord Sunday by Garth Nix, the seventh and last book of his Keys to the Kingdom series. I love these books so much! :dance: They're so fun and original, and really keep the pages turning. This is a good children's series ^_^
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Fri May 20, 2011 7:06 pm

Nami (post: 1480175) wrote:I am not a Serial Killer by Dan Wells. This book..is a whole lot more than the title gives it credit for. But its REALLY not for anyone who is easily frightened by serial killers. Because the writer delves into the mind of people who struggle with this issue while adding a touch of fantasy to spice things up. On a whole, the read was BRILLIANT! I loved the struggle that our main character John has with his inner demon. Its nice to see a writer actually touching a true thing in humans, and how we should be treating them. Just because they don't feel empathy doesn't mean they aren't human. The Writer REALLY brings to light the small things that can set people like that one edge and he deals with his character well. IT's a truly remarkable read and I suggest it to anyone who likes serial killers. XD John is a hero btw. Not that he'd say he was.

Yes, yes, yes! So glad you liked it! :D Do plan on reading the sequels?

More on-topic, I'm reading Airman by Eoin Colfer.
Hats wrote:"Frodo! Cast off your [s]sins[/s] into the fire!"

EllaEdric 06:53 -IM SO UNEQUIPPED TO BE A MAN ITS NOT EVEN FUNNY.
FllMtl Novelist

Postby Nanao » Sat May 21, 2011 12:29 pm

Eaters of the Dead by Michael Crichton.
[color="RoyalBlue"]My help comes from the Lord, maker of heaven and earth.[/color] Psalm 121:2
[color="Pink"]@)[/color][color="Green"]}~`,~[/color] Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.
Nanao

Postby Okami » Sat May 21, 2011 1:07 pm

Ever since watching Oprah this past week I've been going through James Frey's "A Million Little Pieces." I started it a couple months ago, but then got distracted with school about half-way through...
~*~ Blessed to be Ryosuke's wife!
"We will be her church, the body of Christ coming alive to
meet her needs, to write love on her arms." ~ Jamie Tworkowski
Okami

Postby GeneD » Mon May 23, 2011 9:37 am

I am reading Smoke and Mirrors; a collection of short stories by Neil Gaiman and Nanny Ogg's Cookbook by Nanny Ogg and also Terry Pratchett, Stephen Briggs and Tina Hannan.
I don't know what broke to make you like this, but I must be broken too if I'm standing here praising your destructiveness. -Rock (Black Lagoon)

As I had encountered kindness, I wanted to be kind myself. -Takashi Natsume (Natsume's Book of Friends)

MAL
Twitter
MOES: Promoting sane sigs.
GeneD

Postby Sheenar » Mon May 23, 2011 2:03 pm

I'm reading a dog training book called Culture Clash for the upcoming training at CPL.
"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." 2 Corinthians 4:16-18

"Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves."
Sheenar

Previous Next

Return to Book Corner