Words you hate

Talk about anything in here.

Postby ADXC » Wed May 18, 2011 9:21 pm

Cog, I actually put that last statement on my FB. XD
ADXC

Postby Davidizer13 » Wed May 18, 2011 9:39 pm

Htom Sirveaux (post: 1479873) wrote:I'm curious - when you hate something as broad as language (meaning, I would assume, all spoken/written languages and all other forms of communication all over the world), how do you pinpoint where exactly to direct your resentment?

It's because opening our mouths to speak allows our life force to escape, so by not talking, we can live forever! All we have to do is carry around things and point to them when we want to talk about things! It's a flawless plan, really.
We are loved even though we suck.

Psalms 37:37 (NHEB)
Mark the perfect man, and see the upright, for there is a future for the man of peace.
Davidizer13

Postby Atria35 » Wed May 18, 2011 9:39 pm

Htom Sirveaux (post: 1479918) wrote:Also, I think I'll add "hyperbolic" to my list. Thank you.

I hope you're not in college lit classes, then. It's definitely not a word that belongs on that list! xD
Atria35

Postby ADXC » Wed May 18, 2011 9:47 pm

Atria35 (post: 1479933) wrote:I hope you're not in college lit classes, then. It's definitely not a word that belongs on that list! xD

Really? I mean NO ONE in the whole world is ever going to use that at any segment of their entire life.
ADXC

Postby Radical Dreamer » Wed May 18, 2011 9:52 pm

ADXC (post: 1479934) wrote:Really? I mean NO ONE in the whole world is ever going to use that at any segment of their entire life.

I use the word "hyperbole" and its various conjugations (which includes hyperbolic) pretty frequently, actually. XD It's one of my favorite words, along with "superfluous." XD Language is really far too fun to hate. XD
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby ADXC » Wed May 18, 2011 9:55 pm

@ RD- Did you notice my use of Hyperbole in my previous statement?
ADXC

Postby ShiroiHikari » Thu May 19, 2011 9:41 am

ShiroiHikari (post: 1479830) wrote:One more thing:

If, as has been said many times in the many threads about cursing, intent matters more than the words themselves, then if you say something is "dumb", "stupid", etc. with no ill intent toward anyone, does that still make it wrong? If your only intent is to express displeasure with a situation or inanimate object, then why is it wrong to use such words?

I'm still waiting for an answer to my question. :I
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby MomentOfInertia » Thu May 19, 2011 9:59 am

My favorite part of this forum is the tangential nature of so many of the discussions.:brow:
MAL - CAA MAL club - Avatar from Hyouka
"DaughterOfZion 06:19 - forget love, fudge conquers all. xD"
"Written assignments are never finished, only due." -me
-Speak not unless you can improve the silence.-
MOES: Members Observing Efficient Sigs
MomentOfInertia

Postby Nate » Thu May 19, 2011 10:07 am

ich1990 wrote:Nate, I have to ask what you feel about certain "swear words". You have often defended swearing in general, yet if you are going to be politically correct how can you justify certain words that are clearly offensive towards mothers, females, and illegitimate children (and maybe even donkey owners)?

Well, actually, I have been trying (unsuccessfully, but still trying) to rid my language of certain words, not because they are viewed as "bad" or "swear" words, but because they are derogatory words and insulting/belittling to groups of people.

However, my point wasn't "You guys should stop using those words." I never said anyone should stop using them, nor did I say "Any word that is offensive shouldn't be used." That was never in any of my posts. My question is simply "Why is the word retarded a word that people hate and get angry at others for using because they find it insulting, but do not get angry at people for using words such as dumb or lame?"

That is the question I want to know, and so far the only answers I've gotten are "We don't use those words like that these days" (which is not a satisfactory answer to me, because I could argue one day "retarded" won't be used like it used to be, thus no one should be offended by that either) or "Well I know mentally challenged kids, so it personally offends me" (which implies that since he doesn't know any children with speech problems or limp legs, that insulting them doesn't offend him, so it's simply a matter of self-centeredness). And again, I don't find either of these answers compelling or a good explanation of why some terms are okay but others are not.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Thu May 19, 2011 1:58 pm

MomentOfInertia wrote:My favorite part of this forum is the tangential nature of so many of the discussions.:brow:

*adds to list*:thumb:
If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Postby Atria35 » Thu May 19, 2011 2:10 pm

ADXC (post: 1479934) wrote:Really? I mean NO ONE in the whole world is ever going to use that at any segment of their entire life.

What Rad said. It's a fun word, and I have to use it often in my classes, so it's really not that bad.
Atria35

Postby ShiroiHikari » Thu May 19, 2011 3:25 pm

That's a bit hyperbolic isn't it?
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby ADXC » Thu May 19, 2011 6:15 pm

YES! Finally thank goodness Shiroi gets it.

I was being insanely sarcastic by giving a perfect use of hyperbole.

Man you guys are fast.
ADXC

Postby Radical Dreamer » Thu May 19, 2011 6:22 pm

ADXC (post: 1480079) wrote:YES! Finally thank goodness Shiroi gets it.

I was being insanely sarcastic by giving a perfect use of hyperbole.

Man you guys are fast.

Welcome to using sarcasm on the internet. XD
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby ADXC » Thu May 19, 2011 6:41 pm

Oh yes, how careless of me. I mean I guess I was the only one trying to achieve sarcasm on this forum.
ADXC

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Thu May 19, 2011 8:25 pm

ADXC wrote:Oh yes, how careless of me. I mean I guess I was the only one trying to achieve sarcasm on this forum.

Take it from me, it's hard to get sarcasm across on the Internet. Heck, even when I'm being painfully, unmistakeably obvious, some people still get uptight about it.
If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Postby ADXC » Thu May 19, 2011 8:27 pm

Ah I feel you.
ADXC

Postby Atria35 » Thu May 19, 2011 8:37 pm

^ I have a 50/50 chance on picking up sarcasm IRL. It's no surprise that I should have the same issue on the internet. It's terrible! xDD
Atria35

Postby UniqueAngelStar » Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:35 pm

Also, I can't stand it when people used the word "religiously" such as watching or doing something you really like "religiously". Using that word in that sense gets me on my nerves. Don't you agree?
ImageImage
[color="DarkOrchid"]@)[/color][color="DarkGreen"]}~`,~[/color][color="DeepSkyBlue"] Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.[/color]
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]Proud member of[/color] MOES!
UniqueAngelStar

Postby Sheenar » Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:28 am

I really dislike words when used for the express purpose of tearing down another person and making them feel small. Since any word (pretty much) can be used to do that, I don't dislike one word more than another --just when people don't think about the impact their words can have on another person and use them carelessly/maliciously.
"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." 2 Corinthians 4:16-18

"Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves."
Sheenar

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:04 pm

Sheenar) wrote:I really dislike words when used for the express purpose of tearing down another person and making them feel small. Since any word (pretty much) can be used to do that, I don't dislike one word more than another --just when people don't think about the impact their words can have on another person and use them carelessly/maliciously.

Oh, don't be so veritable, you calciferous bagpipe!
Htom Sirveaux

Postby Sheenar » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:45 pm

Htom Sirveaux (post: 1483248) wrote:Oh, don't be so veritable, you calciferous bagpipe!

LOL! Yeah, but coming from you, I can't take that as being written with malicious intent. :)
"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." 2 Corinthians 4:16-18

"Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves."
Sheenar

Postby Warrior4Christ » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:09 pm

ADXC (post: 1478917) wrote:Also, "um" is referred to as verbal garbage and should be eliminated from all speech entirely. If you do not know what to say, KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT instead of stammering.

Yeah, I'm guilty of that sometimes too, but I don't like it...
I do prefer the somewhat gentler "uhh..." which lessens the harshness of the "umm..." sound. I'm trying to make myself do that instead.
Everywhere like such as, and MOES.

"Expect great things from God; attempt great things for God." - William Carey
Warrior4Christ

Location: Carefully place an additional prawn on the barbecue

Postby SincerelyAnomymous » Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:58 pm

rocklobster (post: 1478745) wrote:Are there any words you have a severe hatred towards? If so, why?
For me, it's the word "retard" or "retarded". Really, call someone that in front of me and you'll cause me to lose respect for you. This is because I spent most of my schooling with "special needs" kids, and developed a sympathy for them, to the point where it really offends me when I see people mistreat them.

THANK YOU.

I really, really hate it when not only my friends, but my family use the word retard.

I don't mind the word gay as much, but it is annoying when on Youtube you see someone comment on a video "This is gay"
SincerelyAnomymous

Postby ST. Attidude » Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:30 pm

I don't know if there's a particular word I hate, but pretty much anything abbreviated is starting to really get at me...

I just figured out what FTW means not very long ago...7 _ 7

I lied. there's one word and its so unfortunate that it has to be this :

EPIC

it used to be so cool....*sobs inside*
ST. Attidude

Postby SincerelyAnomymous » Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:32 pm

ST. Attidude (post: 1488838) wrote:I don't know if there's a particular word I hate, but pretty much anything abbreviated is starting to really get at me...

EPIC

FTW gets on my last nerves...

I guess epic is kind of overused.
SincerelyAnomymous

Postby ADXC » Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:51 pm

Epic is a good word; it's just misused a lot.

I dunno though, I've gotten used to abbreviations.

I do like to use FTW sometimes. :P

Also, another favorite abbreviation is tl;dr for when some people give long posts and I don't care to read line.
ADXC

Postby Psycho Molos » Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:59 am

ST. Attidude (post: 1488838) wrote:I don't know if there's a particular word I hate, but pretty much anything abbreviated is starting to really get at me...

EPIC

yea EPIC used to be cool...and now it's....EPIC!!
[color="Cyan"]Oh MOES! It's Czadek peddling the Black Pill for the Merv! Dark Evolution[/color]

Ich hasst Mein lieben.....
Psycho Molos

Previous

Return to General