Parasites might be controlling your brain

Talk about anything in here.

Postby Atria35 » Wed May 18, 2011 8:48 pm

But the parasite is also causing physical changes in your brain. I'm not sure that's much different.
Atria35

Postby Darth_Kirby » Wed May 18, 2011 8:56 pm

Atria35 (post: 1479925) wrote:But the parasite is also causing physical changes in your brain. I'm not sure that's much different.

yeah, but the parasite is making changes to your primal instincts using chemicals. Primal instincts (like sexual desire, hunger, and others) can be ignored through human willpower. Hence we have fasting, celebacy, and even people resisting amazing amounts of pain in order to survive.
Join the Darth side... No really! Join! The pension plan is great and they match all your 401K's!! XD

[color="Cyan"]True freedom is the ability to do what you know is right without fear of persecution.[/color]

[color="Lime"]I finally understand that justice is not born out of the desire for revenge or hatred, but it is born out of love for one’s fellow man.[/color]

Darth_Kirby (post: 1481540) wrote:Ah, the beast of terminology... how many more arguments will you start... XP
Darth_Kirby

Postby shooraijin » Thu May 19, 2011 6:42 am

Alzheimer's is not a mental process, it's a physical one. While no cause is known, there are physical changes that have occurred in the brain observable after autopsy, and neurons actually die. The symptoms do indeed include loss of memory, but memory changes are not the only manifestation.

Yes, we can definitely overpower lower-order mental processes with higher states of mind, or cognitive behavioural therapy wouldn't have any value. But things like toxoplasmosis, and in fact any physical damage to the brain, are actually destroying real brain tissue. While occupational, cognitive and physical therapies seek to rehabilitate the brain to rewire itself around such damage, there certainly comes a point depending on the extent and areas affected where people's functionality cannot return no matter what you do. With that in mind, Atria35's point is well taken.

I should also point out that toxoplasmosis does not damage the brain purely by chemical means. The mass effect itself simply by it growing can be enough, same as any other space-occupying lesion.
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby TopazRaven » Thu May 19, 2011 8:01 am

I actually looked into this whole toxoplasmosis thing quite awhile ago after seeing a video on YouTube of a pet rat playing with a cat. A lot of people in the comments where saying the only reason that rat wanted to be near the cat was because it had toxoplasmosis. When I found out it was a parasite that can infect the brains of not only rats and cats, but humans as well I panicked and decided to look it up. Most of the stuff I read said toxoplasmosis isn't fatal to humans and usually goes unnoticed by the infected person and resolves itself as long as the person is not pregnant or have a low immune system. Was that wrong? I actually have 8 cats at the moment and from what I read you can get it from contact with cat feces. Being the paranoid little thing I am I figured I'd ask.
For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

NIV, Romans 8:38-39.
TopazRaven

Postby shooraijin » Thu May 19, 2011 12:56 pm

No, that's correct. For most people toxo is, based on all available evidence, clinically irrelevant even if they get infected (and it's not that contagious or virulent, so it'll take quite a few liberties with quite a few litter boxes with cats that actually do catch rodents -- my cat doesn't :shady: ).
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby TopazRaven » Thu May 19, 2011 1:11 pm

My cats don't catch rodents either, strictly indoor. Any mouse or rat would be crazy to step foot in this house. :lol: Thanks for the clarifications.
For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

NIV, Romans 8:38-39.
TopazRaven

Postby rocklobster » Sat May 21, 2011 5:29 am

Uh-oh. Sounds like the Yeerks have invaded. Better call in the Animorphs.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby ich1990 » Sat May 21, 2011 7:13 pm

Cell phones, tablet PC's, brain controlling parasites..... the world seems more and more like science fiction every day.

That is to say it is getting more and more awesome every day.
Where an Eidolon, named night, on a black throne reigns upright.
ich1990

Postby Darth_Kirby » Sun May 22, 2011 1:45 am

ich1990 (post: 1480427) wrote:Cell phones, tablet PC's, brain controlling parasites..... the world seems more and more like science fiction every day.

That is to say it is getting more and more awesome every day.

lol How about if I were to tell you that soon you'll be able to "print" organs in the same way you print a picture from a printer? It's possible and being perfected now. It's called organ printing. lol Very original with naming the technique, eh? :P
Join the Darth side... No really! Join! The pension plan is great and they match all your 401K's!! XD

[color="Cyan"]True freedom is the ability to do what you know is right without fear of persecution.[/color]

[color="Lime"]I finally understand that justice is not born out of the desire for revenge or hatred, but it is born out of love for one’s fellow man.[/color]

Darth_Kirby (post: 1481540) wrote:Ah, the beast of terminology... how many more arguments will you start... XP
Darth_Kirby

Postby Wolf-man » Wed May 25, 2011 8:45 am

lol Resident Evil and Stargate SG-1 references FTW!

So brain controlling parasites huh...sheesh people how many times have I told you...
Wolf-man

Previous

Return to General