Words you hate

Talk about anything in here.

Words you hate

Postby rocklobster » Fri May 13, 2011 12:48 pm

Are there any words you have a severe hatred towards? If so, why?
For me, it's the word "retard" or "retarded". Really, call someone that in front of me and you'll cause me to lose respect for you. This is because I spent most of my schooling with "special needs" kids, and developed a sympathy for them, to the point where it really offends me when I see people mistreat them.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Atria35 » Fri May 13, 2011 1:01 pm

I hate it when people use the word 'gay' to describe something. That movie wasn't gay, it was bad. That test wasn't gay, it was hard/aweful/terrible. The moment I hear someone use it like that, it gets me so steamed!
Atria35

Postby Cognitive Gear » Fri May 13, 2011 1:03 pm

Hate.

I also agree with both of you. I really feel that using a word that describes a group of human beings as a way to express distaste is.... distasteful.
Cognitive Gear

Postby Syreth » Fri May 13, 2011 1:09 pm

I get annoyed when I come across a word that I don't know the definition to, because I feel like I should know it, and it reminds me of how limited by vocabulary is. But I don't hate any words in particular. I'm much more likely to think a word is amusing.

When it comes to words like "gay," "retarded," or any number of other words commonly deemed politically incorrect, it depends more on the specific usage and context.
Syreth

Postby aliveinHim » Fri May 13, 2011 1:12 pm

I've broken out of the habit of using the word retarded because I knew a girl with Down's Syndrome and my sister accidentally when referencing a movie character's voice said, "Doesn't that person sound retarded?" Gay just simply sounds uneducated and dumb. I hate the word dude. It sounds way too colloquial. I even hate it when guys call girls dude.
"And you He made alive, who were dead in trespasses and sins, in which you once walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit who now works in the sons of disobedience, among whom also we all once conducted ourselves in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind, and were by nature children of wrath, just as the others.
But God, who is rich in mercy, because of His great love with which He loved us, even when we were dead in trespasses, made us alive together with Christ (by grace you have been saved), and raised us up together, and made us sit together in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus, that in the ages to come He might show the exceeding riches of His grace in His kindness toward us in Christ Jesus." Ephesians 2:1-7

http://oribichan94.deviantart.com/
aliveinHim

Postby ShiroiHikari » Fri May 13, 2011 1:15 pm

I call all my friends, regardless of gender, "dude".

ETA: As for words I "hate", it irritates me when people say "epic" meaning "good" or "cool". Unless you're talking about Lord of the Rings, Les Miserables, War and Peace, or other stories of similar scope, don't say "epic". Please.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Agloval » Fri May 13, 2011 1:23 pm

I have a number of words I strongly dislike for petty reasons.

'Addicting' (addictive). 'Adaptation' (adaption). 'Cliché' used as an adjective (clichéd). 'Deleuzoguattarian' (any use of this one with a straight face boils my blood).

I'll also admit to being a 'dude' person in informal contexts.
'That blast is blown for me, for I am the prize, and yet am I not dead.'
Agloval

Postby ShiroiHikari » Fri May 13, 2011 1:27 pm

"Adaption" is the one that irritates me; I prefer "adaptation". But that might be due to a difference in dialects.

I had never even seen the word "deleuzoguattarian" until you posted it.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby goldenspines » Fri May 13, 2011 1:33 pm

aliveinHim (post: 1478754) wrote: I hate the word dude. It sounds way too colloquial. I even hate it when guys call girls dude.
I call my girlfriends "dude" all the time. >_>;; Granted, I wouldn't say it in a business situation; but with friends, sure. ^_^

There is no specific word I hate over any other. I do dislike the absence of words at times, though.
goldenspines

Postby Radical Dreamer » Fri May 13, 2011 2:23 pm

I've called an elder co-worker "dude" before. XD It might be one of my favorite words of all time. XD

Words I don't like, though?

Misunderestimate. Also refudiate. You know, those words that aren't actually words. XDD
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby ich1990 » Fri May 13, 2011 2:32 pm

Radical Dreamer (post: 1478781) wrote:Misunderestimate. Also refudiate. You know, those words that aren't actually words. XDD
I am going to keep using them irregardless of what you say.
Where an Eidolon, named night, on a black throne reigns upright.
ich1990

Postby Neko-Hime » Fri May 13, 2011 2:33 pm

"Like." I say it, my friends say it, everyone I know says it... but it drives me up the wall. o.<
I really hate it when people use the Lord's name in vain, but people do it so much I've pretty much given up protesting.
Neko-Hime

Postby Jingo Jaden » Fri May 13, 2011 2:54 pm

85% Of things said or written in l33t. I have sympathy for current and future English teachers.

Bigoted is a word I dislike, but mostly in terms how often it is abused. Same with discriminating. Few things angers me more than a teenager who has a relatively decent living standard firing those blind punches. I put these words in because they just make something in my mind tick every time I notice them, but that does not mean I always disagree with their use. Just when the words are diminished beyond their original meaning, which sadly has been quite often with some people I know.

What else.... Oh, I hate it when one word is traded for another. Just because it is suddenly deemed inappropriate, or been neutral and picked up a bad rep. Now, true enough some alterations are justified, but other times it is just trivial.
Of two evils, choose neither - Charles Spurgeon.

Jingo Jaden

Postby Jingo Jaden » Fri May 13, 2011 2:56 pm

ich1990 (post: 1478783) wrote:I am going to keep using them irregardless of what you say.

I irregarded that statement.
Of two evils, choose neither - Charles Spurgeon.

Jingo Jaden

Postby Agloval » Fri May 13, 2011 2:58 pm

[quote="ShiroiHikari (post: 1478763)"]"Adaption" is the one that irritates me]
Mm, no doubt adaption/adaptation is down to dialect, or whichever you encounter first, or what-have-you, yeah. I certainly can't come up with any actual reason for my preference of one over the other!

Deleuzoguattarian is used to talk about things to do with two French thinkers called Deleuze and Guattari... so it doesn't see much use. I just think it looks far too ridiculous.
'That blast is blown for me, for I am the prize, and yet am I not dead.'
Agloval

Postby Ally-Ann » Fri May 13, 2011 3:03 pm

Like Atria and AliveinHim, I hate it when people call everything gay. It's just absurd.

I also hate cuss words. I hate them even more when people say them every other word. It's unclassy. Then again, like Brad Stine says, I don't care how much of a Christian you are, if you slam your hand in the car door, something's coming out of your mouth. XD
[color="Lime"]My Fictionpress account[/color]! http://www.fictionpress.com/u/740837/Ally-Ann

[color="Yellow"]My Fanfiction account[/color]! http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2401061/ArmyAngel316

My nicknames! [color="Pink"]~*[/color][color="palegreen"]Ally[/color][color="pink"]*~[/color] [color="white"](>[/color][color="Cyan"]Mochi-chan[/color][color="White"]<)[/color]

I like mochi. ^^

I question my [color="DarkOrchid"]sanity[/color]. (._.)

Operation: Blackout
Ally-Ann

Postby USSRGirl » Fri May 13, 2011 3:05 pm

Jaden Mental (post: 1478796) wrote:I irregarded that statement.

:thumb: WIN.
USSRGirl

Postby USSRGirl » Fri May 13, 2011 3:08 pm

Ally-Ann (post: 1478798) wrote:Like Atria and AliveinHim, I hate it when people call everything gay. It's just absurd.

I also hate cuss words. I hate them even more when people say them every other word. It's unclassy. Then again, like Brad Stine says, I don't care how much of a Christian you are, if you slam your hand in the car door, something's coming out of your mouth. XD

I don't mind cussing/don't get offended by it, but it is pretty annoying when people center their vocabulary around cuss words. :lol: Completely out of context... like "Hi, I want a bleepin' burger with bleep bleep fries and a side of bleep! Oh, and - bleep! - is that $6.50? Can I use a bleepin' credit card?" That's rather unclassy I must say... XD It just sound very weird and kinda goofy in that case...
USSRGirl

Postby Ally-Ann » Fri May 13, 2011 3:12 pm

USSRGirl (post: 1478802) wrote:I don't mind cussing/don't get offended by it, but it is pretty annoying when people center their vocabulary around cuss words. :lol: Completely out of context... like "Hi, I want a bleepin' burger with bleep bleep fries and a side of bleep! Oh, and - bleep! - is that $6.50? Can I use a bleepin' credit card?" That's rather unclassy I must say... XD It just sound very weird and kinda goofy in that case...

XDDD Nice.
[color="Lime"]My Fictionpress account[/color]! http://www.fictionpress.com/u/740837/Ally-Ann

[color="Yellow"]My Fanfiction account[/color]! http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2401061/ArmyAngel316

My nicknames! [color="Pink"]~*[/color][color="palegreen"]Ally[/color][color="pink"]*~[/color] [color="white"](>[/color][color="Cyan"]Mochi-chan[/color][color="White"]<)[/color]

I like mochi. ^^

I question my [color="DarkOrchid"]sanity[/color]. (._.)

Operation: Blackout
Ally-Ann

Postby Midori » Fri May 13, 2011 3:33 pm

I've always felt a bit of disrespect for the term 'respect', at least how it's usually used in modern English. It's like 'love' without teeth. It only requires the appearance of love and not real love. On the other hand, it is a necessary word to use sometimes (for instance in our site rules) since the word 'love' is loaded with too much sappy emotional baggage in modern English to be always useful.

Also, it's not a word, but it's a pattern of speech: I rather dislike it when people say "you have to X" without any qualifying goal. You never absolutely have to do something, you only have to do something in order to achieve a goal. Somebody could say "You have to get at least a C!" but there's an implicit "In order to pass this class" there. What if I don't care about passing the class? Then I don't have to get a C.

I also dislike words that are used just for their shock value. Cuss words are the most common of these, but there are a lot of other words that can be shocking when used a particular way. I guess that's another pattern of speech rather than a word though.

ShiroiHikari wrote:As for words I "hate", it irritates me when people say "epic" meaning "good" or "cool". Unless you're talking about Lord of the Rings, Les Miserables, War and Peace, or other stories of similar scope, don't say "epic". Please.
YES
Midori

Postby Yamamaya » Fri May 13, 2011 4:01 pm

[quote="goldenspines (post: 1478766)"]I call my girlfriends "dude" all the time. >_>]

I dislike the word "girlfriends" when used in that context. For one, if a guy referred to his guy friends as "boyfriends" people will think he's gay. If a girl calls her friends that are girls "girlfriends" the same implication isn't there. That my friend is a double standard.

I just call all my guy friends dude or bro. I think girls should do the same. Call your "girlfriends" your sisses or dudes.
Yamamaya

Postby Yuki-Anne » Fri May 13, 2011 6:07 pm

I agree with a lot of these. The misuse of "retarded," "bigoted," and "gay," as well as "irregardless" and "addicting."

Adaption? I've never even heard that word before. I looked it up in the dictionary and the only definition it gave was one word: "Adaptation."

Also, slang from my teen years that I do not miss: "phat." Does anybody say this anymore? When I was in high school everything was "so phat." I thought it was the most ridiculous slang I'd heard in a while.

Also, speaking of which, I nearly typed "rediculous" instead of "ridiculous," which reminds me of how much I hate it when people spell "ridiculous" with an "e."
New and improved Yuki-Anne: now with blog: http://anneinjapan.blog.com
Yuki-Anne

Postby Nanao » Fri May 13, 2011 6:27 pm

Yuki-Anne (post: 1478851) wrote:Also, slang from my teen years that I do not miss: "phat." Does anybody say this anymore? When I was in high school everything was "so phat." I thought it was the most ridiculous slang I'd heard in a while.

I have a friend who loves to use that. It drive me crazy as well. 'Gay,' 'retarded,' and the overuse of 'like' are annoying too. For me though, specific words tend to be less important than how and how often they are used...
[color="RoyalBlue"]My help comes from the Lord, maker of heaven and earth.[/color] Psalm 121:2
[color="Pink"]@)[/color][color="Green"]}~`,~[/color] Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.
Nanao

Postby TopazRaven » Fri May 13, 2011 6:28 pm

I'll admit I do misuse the word retarded a lot at times, but I've never said it to mean any insult to those who are mentally challanged. I'm not that much of a witch with a b instead of w. I guess it's just a word I grew up hearing used and thought it was normal. Instead of saying, "that was stupid," it would be ,"that was retarded." It's a habit I feel like I need to break sometimes, but it does still tend to slip out every now and then. Never threw around the word gay though in least. I also like calling my friends dude. xD As for words I don't like...I can't really think of any right now.
For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

NIV, Romans 8:38-39.
TopazRaven

Postby Nate » Fri May 13, 2011 6:38 pm

One word that I cannot stand, above all others, is a word used often in daily speech, by almost all people, that makes me quite incensed. I wish that this word, more than any other in our language, was struck down, obliterated, such that its evil and absurdity would trouble us no longer. A word that we would all be better off without.

This word I speak of is of course "the." A terrible word, for which there is no use, no purpose, and whose existence is a pox on all who live on our fair planet. I say join me in removing this travesty of language from our daily speech. For every time I see that awful word used, hatred and rage boils up inside me, which I find difficult to contain. Its mere presence is enough to reduce me to a frothing madman, a state from which it takes many hours to calm myself.

So I beg you, I beseech you, please, do not use that awful word any longer. It simply must go, banished perhaps to some forgotten corner of Hell, where it can burn for all eternity, as penance for its infection of English.

In addition, usage of "fail" as a noun is something else that I have grown to find irritating, as well as its antonym, "win." Even when used as adjectives, they often test my patience.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Yuki-Anne » Fri May 13, 2011 7:32 pm

Nate, I'm afraid I'm going to have to start combing over all your posts to see if you ever use "the."
Yuki-Anne

Postby Yuki-Anne » Fri May 13, 2011 7:33 pm

That didn't take long.
Yuki-Anne

Postby UniqueAngelStar » Fri May 13, 2011 10:02 pm

Words I cannot stand are "retarded", unnecessary cuss/ inappropiate words, internet/L33t slang and insults, "obsession" and "hate".

It annoys me that they use "retarded" in replacement of stupid or dumb. It's just insulting, especially for ones with mental disabilities.
It angers me more when people use these words as insults; It makes me cringe a lot.

I really can't stand the word "Hate" because it really a harsh word to express something you dislike. It's even worse when you said it to someone.

I can't stand the word Obsession because it shows that you love one particular thing so much, it seems to me that you isolated your only obsessed interests from other stuff you could enjoy. Hence, that;s why the obsessive fan-people can get me crazy sometimes.

Last but not least, I can't stand typical slang words on the internet or not. Honestly, I use it sometimes, but if a slang word doesn't make sense to me, I wouldn't use it. I would feel annoyed sometimes.
ImageImage
[color="DarkOrchid"]@)[/color][color="DarkGreen"]}~`,~[/color][color="DeepSkyBlue"] Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.[/color]
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]Proud member of[/color] MOES!
UniqueAngelStar

Postby Peanut » Fri May 13, 2011 10:15 pm

While not actually a word, verbal pauses such as "um" have become somewhat annoying to me now that I've been made aware of them. Of course, I'm an offender myself so I don't get really annoyed at the person doing it per se. This is more of an annoyance based around the fact that I've been trained to listen for these things and now can't stop noticing them whenever someone is speaking.
CAA's Resident Starcraft Expert

goldenspines wrote:Its only stealing if you don't get caught.
Peanut

Postby Yuki-Anne » Fri May 13, 2011 11:30 pm

I should perhaps mention that I tend to say "like" a whole lot in everyday conversation. It's kind of a habitual thing, and when I take note of it, I am genuinely surprised by the frequency with which I use it. :/
Yuki-Anne

Next

Return to General