how often do you curse?

Talk about anything in here.

Postby ShiroiHikari » Tue May 10, 2011 9:52 am

There are other, more substantial ways to be an example to people than refraining from bad words or only using euphemisms. Euphemisms mean the same thing anyway.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby primetech » Tue May 10, 2011 9:52 am

Syreth (post: 1478064) wrote:Being counter cultural does not necessarily equal Christian.

I could say more, but it would get too theological.
That could lead up to an epic rabbit trail. But Christianity as a whole would probably fit inside counter-culturalism if you really wanted to do a Venn diagram. But then so would things like cussing.

I remember Lord Monckton, at Liberty University. He was doing a great anti-global-warming speech until he said "s**t happens" and the entire school got up and applauded a word they weren't allowed to use.

ShiroiHikari (post: 1478066) wrote:There are other, more substantial ways to be an example to people than refraining from bad words or only using euphemisms. Euphemisms mean the same thing anyway.
I agree. But I'm not counter-cultural to begin with, so not cussing is the best way for me to rebel. Personally. If there's, like, something else going on that I'm not aware of then it's probably outside of the bounds of this too.
primetech

Postby Syreth » Tue May 10, 2011 10:23 am

primetech (post: 1478067) wrote:That could lead up to an epic rabbit trail. But Christianity as a whole would probably fit inside counter-culturalism if you really wanted to do a Venn diagram. But then so would things like cussing.

Christianity as a whole fits inside counter-culturalism? I don't think I can quite agree with that unless you define Christianity with very narrow terms. It also depends on what culture "counter-cultural" relates to.
Syreth

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Tue May 10, 2011 10:41 am

ShiroiHikari (post: 1478059) wrote:It's been proven that using actual "bad" words helps you deal with acute pain like slamming your hand in the door, and that euphemisms aren't nearly as effective.

Does a mute just use the bird? Or do they have to deal with the full effects of the pain? XD
Shao Feng-Li

Postby ADXC » Tue May 10, 2011 11:05 am

Looking at this from a personal evangelistic standpoint, this is one of the reasons why many people outside of the church say they cannot relate to those inside because many of us are stuck in the Christian bubble. It's fine to hang out with your Christian friends, but that's not all God called us to do. We are supposed to be Jesus to those who cannot see Him.

Let's not do the whole "holier than thou" thing, that was what the pharisees did and they were wrong.

Am I saying it's ok to curse at any moment? No, but we need to remember that it's the feelings behind the word and not the word. We don't use cuss words around certain people because it may make them stumble or that it may not seem the most appropriate at the time. Also that it does not matter too much to God if we hang around non-Christians who use the language in hopes that we can have a good influence on them and maybe even later lead them to Christ.

Again I don't cuss a lot to begin with because I'm not a fan of it, but if the situation calls for something stronger and the other person is just not getting it, I'm going to go with the cuss word and if a friend uses a cuss word I'm not going to flinch because I'll know that for them they would have a good reason for it so instead of focusing on the word I focus on the problem.

If we get hung up on the trivial matters too much, we miss the big picture.

Those are just my thoughts.
ADXC

Postby Midori » Tue May 10, 2011 11:20 am

Personally, I don't think we need yet another thread discussing whether cursing is okay for Christians. We've had like two in recent history.

EDIT: This is just my own feeling. It doesn't mean I'll lock the thread.
Midori

Postby Fish and Chips » Tue May 10, 2011 11:41 am

primetech (post: 1478067) wrote:Image
There are so many things fantastic about this picture I don't even know where to begin.
Fish and Chips

Postby ADXC » Tue May 10, 2011 12:26 pm

@ Midori-Ok, sorry about that. XDD I didn't mean to contribute toward a debate. I was just stating my opinion.
ADXC

Postby ShiroiHikari » Tue May 10, 2011 2:06 pm

So...if I'm a Christian that swears, does that make me counter-counter-culture?
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Midori » Tue May 10, 2011 3:10 pm

ShiroiHikari (post: 1478130) wrote:So...if I'm a Christian that swears, does that make me counter-counter-culture?
And if you kept a swear jar you'd be a counter-counter-culture-counter.
Midori

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Tue May 10, 2011 6:23 pm

I've let some slip in the last couple years, usually in spurts and when I got extremely frustrated or angry. Cussing is definitely not the worst thing you can do, but I'm not comfortable doing it, so I don't.

To somewhat contribute to the "Christians swearing" discussion: my dad swears a lot, and he's really serious about his faith. So I don't think swearing means you're an insincere Christian or something.
Shao Feng-Li wrote:Does a mute just use the bird? Or do they have to deal with the full effects of the pain? XD

XD
Hats wrote:"Frodo! Cast off your [s]sins[/s] into the fire!"

EllaEdric 06:53 -IM SO UNEQUIPPED TO BE A MAN ITS NOT EVEN FUNNY.
FllMtl Novelist

Postby DangoDaikazoku » Tue May 10, 2011 8:00 pm

Recently, I have been saying "Darn it!" alot and "Darn it to Unicorn Land!" and or "OMGoodness!!" That's about it. Constantly, "That's HORRID!!" But... none of those are actual curses...
Thank You For Your Time,
DangoDaikazoku
DangoDaikazoku

Postby Fish and Chips » Tue May 10, 2011 8:27 pm

DangoDaikazoku (post: 1478201) wrote:"Darn it to Unicorn Land!"
Please tell me you don't actually do this.
Fish and Chips

Postby Nate » Tue May 10, 2011 9:44 pm

What's wrong with Unicorn Land?

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Tue May 10, 2011 10:05 pm

The amount I curse is directly proportionate to how much alcohol is in my system. :D
Fish and Chips (post: 1478209) wrote:Please tell me you don't actually do this.

You're a jerky baboon-face, Fish. =(
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Fish and Chips » Wed May 11, 2011 4:48 am

Mr. SmartyPants (post: 1478220) wrote:You're a jerky baboon-face, Fish. =(
The jerkiest and most baboon-like.
Fish and Chips

Postby Radical Dreamer » Wed May 11, 2011 5:46 am

primetech (post: 1478067) wrote:Image

I was casually reading this thread and then I saw this picture and now I don't know what to do with my life.

XDDD
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby lilmonsterteeth » Wed May 11, 2011 6:42 am

I swear way too much when I'm home by myself or I'm really angry and venting about something and I'm talking to my husband. I know my husband doesn't care so that's why I feel comfortable with it but I shouldn't be comfortable even saying it to myself.
My most common ones that I need to control are sh*t, b*tch, f-word, and d*mn.
I try to find alternatives because I need to vocally express my feelings sometimes.
So I try to use darn-it, dang-it, gosh, and I've even made up own sayings like "holy cappuccino" and I call people I don't like "snake-butt". It doesn't make sense but sometimes if they are funny they help turn my angry into laughs which is good. =P
[SIZE="2"][color="Magenta"]~BethMarie ♥'s TimothyMichael~[/color][/SIZE]

[color="Red"]@)[/color][color="YellowGreen"]}~`,~ [/color][color="DeepSkyBlue"]Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.[/color]

[color="DarkOrchid"]check out my blog!!![/color]

[color="Lime"][SIZE="3"]support my music! "like" my page on Facebook![/SIZE][/color]
BethMarie's Facebook Page
lilmonsterteeth

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Wed May 11, 2011 10:12 am

Syreth (post: 1478073) wrote:Christianity as a whole fits inside counter-culturalism? I don't think I can quite agree with that unless you define Christianity with very narrow terms. It also depends on what culture "counter-cultural" relates to.

Just a suggestion which you may be interested in. Check out the book "Resident Alien" by Stanley Hauweras if you ever have the time.
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby christianfriend » Wed May 11, 2011 3:06 pm

I curse occasionally, but not too much to where it's just ridiculous and obnoxious! I used to never EVER curse, until I finally tried going to public High School. That's the one "bad" thing that stuck with me after that experience, lol.
[font="Lucida Console"][align=center]“The [color="Magenta"]best[/color] kind of [color="Magenta"]friend[/color] is the kind you can sit on a porch and swing with, never say a word, and then walk away feeling like it was the best conversation you've ever had.â€
christianfriend

Postby Hiryu » Thu May 12, 2011 9:37 am

I never curse. Wishing for misfortune on others via spiritual forces is just wrong!

On another note, who was it that decided what words were considered cursing? I mean, I guess f, s, and bi, aren't the nicest words and are considered disgusting or demeaning. But so are crap, doodoo head, and idiot.
Hiryu

Postby ADXC » Thu May 12, 2011 11:51 am

Remember, it's not so much the word as the intent(Feelings, emotions, etc..) behind the word.
ADXC

Postby Furen » Thu May 12, 2011 11:57 am

ADXC (post: 1478521) wrote:Remember, it's not so much the word as the intent(Feelings, emotions, etc..) behind the word.

Words I live by.
And this I pray, that your love would abound still, more and more with real knowledge and all discernment. Be prepared to preach the gospel at a moment's notice. Do you know the gospel well enough to do so yourself? Be ready.
Furen

Postby Nate » Thu May 12, 2011 12:52 pm

Jesus Himself said that if you call your brother "fool" you're in danger of the fires of Hell. Since no one here censors the word "fool" or thinks movies should be rated R for having that word in it, then I think it's pretty clear that it's the intent, not the word, that's the problem.

Which is why it doesn't matter what type of language you use. If you use the word "poopy head" in anger and malice, it's as bad as calling them a s***head. So using "substitute" curse words is just as bad as using the regular ones. So why not just use the regular ones? It's what they're there for. And since we also know that intent is what matters (and not the word itself) there's no problem if I say something is f-ing awesome. Because there's no bad intent!

Nate

Postby Atria35 » Thu May 12, 2011 12:55 pm

Nate (post: 1478531) wrote:I think it's pretty clear that it's the intent, not the word, that's the problem.

Fixed that for you! xD

(We know what you meant, though)
Atria35

Postby Nate » Thu May 12, 2011 12:59 pm

D'oh. That's what I get for posting five minutes after waking up. :l

Nate

Postby UniqueAngelStar » Thu May 12, 2011 1:04 pm

It seems that the most of you don't really cuss that much.

Sorry I went a little off-topic, but do you guys agree with this kid and this video? He made the no cussing club:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTNv2dOBFJk
http://nocussing.com/
ImageImage
[color="DarkOrchid"]@)[/color][color="DarkGreen"]}~`,~[/color][color="DeepSkyBlue"] Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.[/color]
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]Proud member of[/color] MOES!
UniqueAngelStar

Postby Atria35 » Thu May 12, 2011 2:40 pm

UniqueAngelStar (post: 1478537) wrote:It seems that the most of you don't really cuss that much.

Sorry I went a little off-topic, but do you guys agree with this kid and this video? He made the no cussing club:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTNv2dOBFJk
http://nocussing.com/

Honestly, no. There are definitely places where it's inappropriate, but calling someone a doo-doo head is just as bad as using the s-word. And goodness knows, people will always find new words to say the same thing. It seems pointless.
Atria35

Postby Dante » Thu May 12, 2011 3:53 pm

I don't have a problem with cursing; to me, the concept is foreign as language is language. To declare that some language is special and it's very usage is of harm to others doesn't hold up under the logical scrutiny that was so deeply impressed upon me in college. It doesn't make sense that such a thing exists - and it realistically seems like some leftover of our ancient superstitions, which we ourselves no longer even understand.

That stated, I do use cursing relatively rarely - but it isn't absent from my language. My parents dislike it as a whole, so I've had my fair share of negative reinforcement - in fact, they are probably the primary reason I use cursing at all to begin with, even if only rarely. That is, if I feel like I'm being ignored or lacking attention when being hurt or feel emotions with great intensity, dropping a curse-word into the mix jolts their attention like a lightning bolt.

So I've come to curse when I'm hurt, need an emotional outlet as well and for whatever strange reason feel like something was directly responcible - like when a door or gravity comes round to do me harm (and I feel like the universe is just out to get me that day) or if someone is hurting me and I feel like they're making it out to be no big deal or doing so on purpose. The intensity of the cursing is likewise proportional to the level in which I'm trying to convey my emotions. Shocking as this might seem, this ultimately has lead to a great deal of cursing in my personal prayer life with God. I won't deny that there have been times, especially when I was pleading out for help with severe depression or other pain, that my faith felt let-down, or I even felt directly hurt from the experience (even if it ultimately was for my own good), and the private prayer discourse that followed probably contained enough strings of expletives to get me perma-banned from CAA.

This was bound to happen. I took my greatest influences in faith from a pastor that taught us that if we weren't being real, if we weren't being who we really were in front of God - don't bother at all. Being a different person for one day a week wasn't fooling anyone - God accepted us for who we were and lying to him about that wasn't doing either of us any good - we were just doing a bad job at trying to fool others that we were "holy". As a result, as I care deeply about God, the hedgehogs dilemma grows a 1000 fold. And when I get hurt, I react to him like I react to those I love, there isn't some kind of sacred, "God, how art thou that I hath fallen into such dispare, hath thy no love for your servant." I stopped doing repeat prayers when I went to bed years ago - they did far too much harm in feeding my OCD tendencies; but when I pray today, it will come from the heart, as my heart feels at that moment - which results in me being... well me.

On a similar note, besides getting angry with God on any number of occasions, I've also done my fair share of forgiving God. Yeah, yeah, I know that God can do no evil and all that, but some blessings are down-right painful, and for our ultimate good or not, the only mechanism we have to get up and trust him again is forgiveness. As a result, even if no forgiveness is really required, we're almost each forced to forgive God, as that's necessary for our hearts to heal so that we might be willing to trust him again - and that is one of the most difficult parts of our faith (when those close to your heart hurt you, those are going to be the most difficult experiences you will have to handle as a human being). And in a strange way, we meet with similar things. Sometimes we do things that we feel are for the best interest of others, but ultimately hurt them in the end - we never intended for it to hurt, we didn't want it to hurt, but we need forgiveness for the things that occurred mid-course, because that's the only way they'll be willing to trust us again.

In other words, while I'm on the topic, if anyone's been hurt by God, the best advice I can give is to simply be human and use the gift of forgiveness - its not only reserved for other people - he needs it simply because that allows him to continue his relationship with you without having the scars of your past interfering at each stage. It allows you (and only you can grant it) to lower your defenses to be willing to get closer to him again.

-------

anyways, back to cursing.

In most situations, where I realize the pain is unintentional or I feel responsible for inducing the pain myself from doing something stupid, I seem to take preference to a sharp yelp, or "itai!" These lighter outbursts release the emotional energy involved in the pain without denoting that I feel the other person is doing me harm on purpose - but if someone is involved, it's a kind of plee to ask that they please slow down all the same. I can't physically cry except on rare miracle circumstances, so a yelp is the best way for me to outwardly express my pain in these situations.

Outside of this, however, I do rarely mix in some lower level language into my discourse to add some flavor into my language - I'm not the world's most formal, elegant human being and I don't want anyone to get the wrong impression. This isn't really used with any incredible frequency though and often times the language involved (typically the variation of the word darn, or the variations themselves, darn, crud or other modified language) is of significantly lighter tone that doesn't inspire any shock in most people - it's more of a means for me to try and appear more 'normal' then it has to do with any ethical affairs. The reason for keeping this tone lower, is to make sure that others recognize the distress I'm experiencing when I really do start to change my language - it's a way of displaying that I'm not able to retain my typical demeanor in the presence of said experience - and I don't want anyone to get the wrong opinion when I do start dropping some heavier four-letter-words (if you're doing something, it's upsetting me and I want you to stop, and I want you to stop now).

And that's my current position with cursing - yeah, it's weird, but that's it.
Dante

Postby rocklobster » Thu May 12, 2011 4:37 pm

Hiryu (post: 1478503) wrote:I never curse. Wishing for misfortune on others via spiritual forces is just wrong!

On another note, who was it that decided what words were considered cursing? I mean, I guess f, s, and bi, aren't the nicest words and are considered disgusting or demeaning. But so are crap, doodoo head, and idiot.

I'd post George Carlin's famous routine on that, but it's really not that appropriate for CAA.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Previous Next

Return to General