Macross Frontier

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Macross Frontier

Postby Fantasy Dreamer » Thu May 05, 2011 7:57 am

A friend of mine was thinking about watching Macross Frontier. Who's heard about/watched it and can tell me a bit about it? You know, objectionable content, storyline, etc.

Thanks!
"Be strong, and let your heart take courage, all you who wait for the Lord!" - Psalm 31:24

"MOES: Sig. Or sig not. There is no scroll."

My Fanfiction.net account
My DA account
My MAL

"An XD a post will keep humor at its most." - Goldenspines <3
Fantasy Dreamer

Postby Atria35 » Thu May 05, 2011 9:35 am

It's honestly one of my favorite anime! Fabulous music, a great story and animation, action out the wazzoo and some of the best aerial fight scenes I've ever seen.

Basically, it's about a young man who's training to be a fighter pilot that manages to get involved with two girls during a period of attack from an unknown enemy. One of them is a singing superstar, the other is a girl who becomes a rising star of her own power. They discover that the girls have a link to these creatures, and all three must work together to stop them.

Content is a little like this:

[spoiler]Sexual/nudity content- One of the girls, the superstar, has a tendency for scanty clothing. Nothing you wouldn't see on a modern popstar on stage, and it is more conservative when she isn't doing her thing.

And she does get a lesson tought to her in the first or second episode, when the younger girl bumps into her and accidentally pulls her dress down (this is entirely offscreen, mind you- we only see the highly embarassed people aftermath), after which she goes for things that are no more revealing than the average anime schoolgirl uniform. There is a brief scene, perhaps 3-5 seconds, with her looking for clothes in her undies.

You also have the implication of two characters (minor) who are having an affair, and one gets pregnant out of wedlock.

One of the characters makes a joke about Alto and the superstar needing time alone together when they're in his room. Nothing happens, they just end up talking.

Violence-wise, there is some blood and death. Most is offscreen, though you will see bloodspatter. Ships explode with people on them. There is also some implied child abuse in a flashback.

Language- very light. There is very little language in the anime.

Religion- None. Religion doesn't factor into anything, either in mention in passing, or with underthemes.[/spoiler]

I hope this helps. I will say the sexual content/nudity might seem like a lot when I say it all at once, but those instances are few and far apart, and really mild since most of it is offscreen or lasts only a few seconds.
Atria35

Postby Fantasy Dreamer » Thu May 05, 2011 10:53 am

Thanks! That's really helpful. I'll pass the info along to my friend. I'm also interested in watching it now. =)
"Be strong, and let your heart take courage, all you who wait for the Lord!" - Psalm 31:24

"MOES: Sig. Or sig not. There is no scroll."

My Fanfiction.net account
My DA account
My MAL

"An XD a post will keep humor at its most." - Goldenspines <3
Fantasy Dreamer

Postby Seto_Sora » Thu May 05, 2011 12:45 pm

Yeah, it is really very popular. Sadly, I'm in the few who actually find it very boring. I didn't feel I could feel the characters. But Atria explained it perfectly. If that grabs ya, then you'll probably enjoy it.

SDG
This

Seto_Sora

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Thu May 05, 2011 2:36 pm

I'm also a pretty big Frontier fan, so that's another recommendation you can have.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby Narnian » Mon May 09, 2011 3:28 am

I liked it. The story was intriguing and the characters were captivating. There's some innuendo, but not much which was rather surprising considering there was a love triangle. The action and animation was great. There were lots of fight scenes, but not much blood though there was death. The character development was really good too though I liked how the movie developed the characters better, but be warned the movie does contain nudity as I abruptly discovered. The soundtrack was superb, and the costumes were great though some of the stage/performance outfits for one of the characters are somewhat risque but not worse than modern pop star performance costumes. Overall, I gave it an 8 out of 10 in MAL rating.
Narnian

Postby J.D3 » Mon May 09, 2011 3:44 am

Is this 'Macross Frontier' anyway related to the Robotech series? Just curious
J.D3

Postby Atria35 » Mon May 09, 2011 5:27 am

J.D3 (post: 1477765) wrote:Is this 'Macross Frontier' anyway related to the Robotech series? Just curious

Robotech was what happened when some American companies mashed the original Super Dimention Fortress Macross with two other completely unrelated series. So while it is part of the Macross franchise (the 25th anniversary series), it is technically not related to Robotech.
Atria35

Postby Wallachia » Mon May 09, 2011 3:14 pm

I'll go ahead and vouch for Macross Frontier as well. It was my first Macross and I found it to be great.

The movie was a little lacking though. I definitely prefer the series, unless the second movie turns out to be better.

Michael and Klan Klan were my favorite characters, so that's partially why I didn't like the movie since they were almost completely omitted except for a brief moment towards the end.

Wallachia

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Mon May 09, 2011 3:24 pm

Wallachia (post: 1477887) wrote:I'll go ahead and vouch for Macross Frontier as well. It was my first Macross and I found it to be great.

The movie was a little lacking though. I definitely prefer the series, unless the second movie turns out to be better.

Michael and Klan Klan were my favorite characters, so that's partially why I didn't like the movie since they were almost completely omitted except for a brief moment towards the end.
You might like the second movie better because [spoiler]Michael and Klan Klan both survive and become a couple.[/spoiler]

Though, of course, Ranka is the real best character.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby Sapphire225 » Mon May 09, 2011 6:26 pm

Watched it forever ago. Klan Klan is my favorite character. I'll probably give it another go in the nearby future when I have free time.
"Because the World isn't as cruel as you take it to be." ~ Celty, Durarara!!

Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you."
~Deuteronomy 31:6

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We live in a fantasy world, a world of illusion. The great task in life is to find reality. ~ Iris Murdoch
Sapphire225

Postby Narnian » Mon May 09, 2011 6:51 pm

Mr. Hat'n'Clogs, your spoiler post made me very happy as they are my favorite couple in the series. Sheryl and Klan Klan are my favorites as I like their dynamic and strong personalities, especially Klan's.
Narnian

Postby Atria35 » Mon May 09, 2011 7:25 pm

Narnian (post: 1477949) wrote:Sheryl and Klan Klan are my favorites as I like their dynamic and strong personalities, especially Klan's.

THIS. Oh, geez, do I love them! xD
Atria35

Postby TheMewster » Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:20 pm

Haven't watched it yet, but I listen to the music. Also, in the second OP, there is some nudity that you guys forgot to mention. Due to the sexual content like that, I've avoided the series except for the music. God bless!
So the poor has hope, and injustice shuts her mouth. ~Job 5:16 WEB~
For you are my hope, Lord Yahweh; my confidence from my youth. ~Psalm 71:5 WEB~
TheMewster

Postby Atria35 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:31 pm

TheMewster (post: 1482728) wrote:Haven't watched it yet, but I listen to the music. Also, in the second OP, there is some nudity that you guys forgot to mention. Due to the sexual content like that, I've avoided the series except for the music. God bless!

Ah. Well, that what I mentioned really is it in terms of nudity- after all, you are able to skip opening scenes.
Atria35

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews