Studying Abroad

Talk about anything in here.

Studying Abroad

Postby Vega » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:18 am

Hey guys.
Well im approaching my senior year and I really have to start thinking and making decisions about college.
I want to major in international affairs and linguistics.

Ive been told that studying abroad is a good idea considering my majors.
I dont know too much about studying abroad.

Does anybody here study abroad or have studied abroad at some time?
Any info is greatly appreciated!
The mind is so complex when your based. 32 levels. Welcome to my world. --Lil B
I'm not guna let anything take the love from my heart, the love of life and spreading peace and positive, thank you earth I'm alive. --Lil B
Swag like I'm marrow, in my bones. Swag in my bones. Bone Marrow Swag. -- Lil B
Shouts out to Lil B "The Based God".
Vega

Postby Atria35 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:50 am

I studied abroad for a semester about two years ago now. It was a great experience and insight into another culture.

Each school has their own study abroad program set up. Some of them are country-wide, some aren't. Which means that the credits don't always transfer nicely (or at all) depending on if you change schools. The smaller/more local the college, the less diversity or specialization of classes you can get. It also affects where you can go to study. For instance, when I went through my community college, I went to a very new, fairly unestablished college in Canterbury, England, and ended up with a homestay family. At the university I go to now, I would have the opportunity to go to Oxford and stay in one of the 16th-century suites that the regular students use.

It's also fairly expensive, depending. Going to Oxford? $10,000 for the summer session. My stay in Canterbury? $7,000 for the semester. Some things are included with the Oxford stay that weren't with Canterbury (meals, for instance).

You also need plenty of cash for extras. Souveniers, food, traveling on your own during the weekends... I ended up spending an extra $2000 more or less, since stuff happened (like my laptop's battery burning out).

But honestly? I wouldn't have traded the experience for the world. I had a fabulous group of people with me, made awesome friends that I wouldn't have otherwise, and lived it up.
Atria35

Postby Vega » Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:08 pm

Thank you for the info!
The mind is so complex when your based. 32 levels. Welcome to my world. --Lil B
I'm not guna let anything take the love from my heart, the love of life and spreading peace and positive, thank you earth I'm alive. --Lil B
Swag like I'm marrow, in my bones. Swag in my bones. Bone Marrow Swag. -- Lil B
Shouts out to Lil B "The Based God".
Vega

Postby Sapphire225 » Mon May 02, 2011 4:51 pm

I plan to study abroad in my Junior year and I also major in International Relations, go figure.
"Because the World isn't as cruel as you take it to be." ~ Celty, Durarara!!

Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you."
~Deuteronomy 31:6

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We live in a fantasy world, a world of illusion. The great task in life is to find reality. ~ Iris Murdoch
Sapphire225

Return to General