What are you reading?

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

Postby Nami » Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:50 am

Now reading a classic, Count of Monte Cristo so far, its good. But I'm slowing becoming bored with the long drawn out and even uneccesary words/scenes that the authors from olden days like to do. It adds no depth for me and only gives me a headache. Dumas doesn't do that often, for which, I am most thankful. But I hope the actual story starts soon and stops being so harsh on my eyes.
[color="Red"][SIZE="3"]Swiftly Dissin' and never Missin'.
Yours Truly,
Sick of all the BSin'.[/SIZE][/color]
Nami

Location: Sitting in a tree, waiting for you. *sinister grin*

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:46 pm

I've just discovered a pretty sizeable used book store a few miles away. Apparently it's been there for eight years and I never knew it existed. I picked up Furies of Calderon by Jim Butcher and The Name of This Book is Secret by "Pseudonymous Bosch."
If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Postby MomentOfInertia » Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:06 pm

I read I Don't Want To Kill You by Dan Wells, an ... interesting read; I'm going to read something normal now.
MAL - CAA MAL club - Avatar from Hyouka
"DaughterOfZion 06:19 - forget love, fudge conquers all. xD"
"Written assignments are never finished, only due." -me
-Speak not unless you can improve the silence.-
MOES: Members Observing Efficient Sigs
MomentOfInertia

Postby broly146 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:22 pm

I read The Sapphire Rose by David Eddings
It's not whether you can or can't do it, it is if you do it or not. Nothing comes easy in this world, especially a job or money. I rely on Jesus to get me through these hard times of persecution.
broly146

Postby TheMewster » Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:29 am

Working on the second book in Narnia... Whenever I get around to putting my phone down and picking it up anyway.
So the poor has hope, and injustice shuts her mouth. ~Job 5:16 WEB~
For you are my hope, Lord Yahweh; my confidence from my youth. ~Psalm 71:5 WEB~
TheMewster

Postby J.D3 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:23 am

TheMewster (post: 1474769) wrote:Working on the second book in Narnia... Whenever I get around to putting my phone down and picking it up anyway.

Ah, that'd probably be The Lion, Witch & the Wardrobe if I'm not mistaken. Good series that. Some books are more standout-ish than others but overall pretty good!

Started reading a book called Angels of Glory & Darkness by John Woolmer. It provides some very interesting accounts plus pretty good & (so far) sound info on encounters with angels (both good & bad), which is refreshingly good considering it's a bit of a shakey topic amoungst people at times.
Also good because the last book I got on the topic wasn't all that helpful & even contained un-Scriptural information about angels!

Still chugging away with Lost History of Christianity. One of the things interesting to learn was that what are both Beijing and Baghdad today used to be thriving centers of Eastern Christian communities & learning for a number of centuries, along with many other cities in the Middle-East.
J.D3

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:48 pm

Finished The Loud Silence of Francine Green by Karen Cushman today. I remember reading it years ago, and loving how Francine was shy like me, unlike most book heroines I'd seen. This time around, I enjoyed the humor, characters, pretty much everything.

Loved the ending.
Hats wrote:"Frodo! Cast off your [s]sins[/s] into the fire!"

EllaEdric 06:53 -IM SO UNEQUIPPED TO BE A MAN ITS NOT EVEN FUNNY.
FllMtl Novelist

Postby Nanao » Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:32 pm

The Bartimaeus Trilogy by Jonathan Stroud
[color="RoyalBlue"]My help comes from the Lord, maker of heaven and earth.[/color] Psalm 121:2
[color="Pink"]@)[/color][color="Green"]}~`,~[/color] Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.
Nanao

Postby rocklobster » Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:12 pm

Nanao (post: 1475256) wrote:The Bartimaeus Trilogy by Jonathan Stroud

I hated, hated the "hero" of that story.
Now reading the first book in the new Bone series, Quest For the Spark book 1.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Radical Dreamer » Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:19 pm

I am reading all of the books right now. XD I'll be putting together my summer reading list soon, but currently, I'm either in the middle of or have just started reading the following:

True Grit by Charles Portis
Everything that Rises Must Converge by Flannery O'Connor
Sun Stand Still by Steven Furtick
Searching for God Knows What by Donald Miller
Forgotten God by Francis Chan
Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro

I highly recommend all of the above, especially Sun Stand Still and Searching for God Knows What. Excellent, solid perspectives on Scripture, written in a very clear and understandable way!
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby That Dude » Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:58 pm

Radical Dreamer (post: 1475417) wrote:I highly recommend all of the above, especially Sun Stand Still and Searching for God Knows What. Excellent, solid perspectives on Scripture, written in a very clear and understandable way!

I've never read either of those books. I might need to check out Sun Stand Still, but I'm pretty wary of Donald Miller, He's a good writer, but -I'm not trying to start any controversy here- I think he has some very bad theology...Anyway, I might check out Sun Stand Still.
I am convinced that many men who preach the gospel and love the Lord are really misunderstood. People make a “profession,â€
That Dude

Postby Radical Dreamer » Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:12 pm

That Dude (post: 1475427) wrote:I've never read either of those books. I might need to check out Sun Stand Still, but I'm pretty wary of Donald Miller, He's a good writer, but -I'm not trying to start any controversy here- I think he has some very bad theology...Anyway, I might check out Sun Stand Still.

Definitely check out Sun Stand Still--it's by my pastor, and it's pretty excellent. XD I'm curious to hear your thoughts on Donald Miller, as I've agreed with like 98% of the things I've read from him thus far. XD Feel free to PM them to me, I'm just curious to see where you disagree with him. XD
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:14 pm

It's book sale time at the library again! I got:

-Wizard's First Rule by Terry Goodkind (I may or may not actually read it, but if I don't, at least it only cost me a buck.)
-Three Goosebumps books by R.L. Stine (to satisfy the '90s nostalgia nerd in me.)
-Conan the Marauder ('cause I can't say no to Conan)
-A Calvin & Hobbes collection (Something Under the Bed is Drooling)
-A DVD (Batman)
-A CD (TMBG's The Spine)
If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Postby Ally-Ann » Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:15 pm

I'm reading the Princess Diaries! Iz funny. C=
[color="Lime"]My Fictionpress account[/color]! http://www.fictionpress.com/u/740837/Ally-Ann

[color="Yellow"]My Fanfiction account[/color]! http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2401061/ArmyAngel316

My nicknames! [color="Pink"]~*[/color][color="palegreen"]Ally[/color][color="pink"]*~[/color] [color="white"](>[/color][color="Cyan"]Mochi-chan[/color][color="White"]<)[/color]

I like mochi. ^^

I question my [color="DarkOrchid"]sanity[/color]. (._.)

Operation: Blackout
Ally-Ann

Postby That Dude » Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:13 am

Radical Dreamer (post: 1475432) wrote:Definitely check out Sun Stand Still--it's by my pastor, and it's pretty excellent. XD I'm curious to hear your thoughts on Donald Miller, as I've agreed with like 98% of the things I've read from him thus far. XD Feel free to PM them to me, I'm just curious to see where you disagree with him. XD

I'll pm you some of the reasons why I disagree with him.
I am convinced that many men who preach the gospel and love the Lord are really misunderstood. People make a “profession,â€
That Dude

Postby rocklobster » Mon May 02, 2011 4:32 am

Re-reading The Gathering Storm by Brandon Sanderson. Gotta keep the story fresh so I can be ready for the grand finale to Wheel of Time.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."

my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Davidizer13 » Mon May 02, 2011 9:22 am

I finished Behemoth by Scott Westerfield - I found that I liked it a lot more than Leviathan. Overall, it was a more tightly-written, more focused book than the first, and it feels like the series is settling into its groove for the finale. Here's hoping Westerfield can keep it going...
We are loved even though we suck.

Psalms 37:37 (NHEB)
Mark the perfect man, and see the upright, for there is a future for the man of peace.
Davidizer13

Postby Nami » Mon May 02, 2011 10:45 am

The Princess Bride - William Goldman.

I'm confused by the beginning of this book, but! I'm enjoying it now that I'm at the awesome part.
Yours Truly,
Nami

Postby ich1990 » Mon May 02, 2011 11:29 am

Something Wicked this Way Comes” by Ray Bradbury

What stood out the most to me about Bradbury's most famous work “Fahrenheit 451” was the supercharged, heady wording. Full of allegories and not-quite-normal descriptions, the book was an interesting read even without the dystopian setting and robot spider dogs. In this book, the colorful language and oddball wording once again takes the front stage. Although it occasionally comes across as overbearing, Bradbury usually uses just enough off-ness to set the reader on a razor edge.

The setting is a surreptitiously evil carnival, where the dead live again through the power of an electric chair and the mirror maze drowns people's souls with the weight of the future. The carnival is populated by all manners of freaks and horrors, yet when two kids discover its dark underbelly, of course, no one believes them. Carnivals are supposed to be strange and the freaks are supposed to be freaky, after all. It is under this guise of normalcy the Carnival feeds on the boys' hometown.

You know that feeling you used to get when you read a fantasy book and the hero is confronted with Sauron or some other unimaginably powerful evil? That dread and utter hopelessness you feel when you honestly wonder if the hero will be able to stand up to it and win? Most of us have grown out of that feeling, too cynical to believe that anyone would write a fantasy story were the hero loses. Well, this book brought that feeling back, and that speaks volumes to me about its craftsmanship.

When it comes to psychological horror, you have to check out Bradbury's writing. This book is as good of a horror novel as Fahrenheit 451 is a dystopian one. 9/10
Where an Eidolon, named night, on a black throne reigns upright.
ich1990

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Tue May 03, 2011 6:06 pm

Woah, thanks, ich! I'm definitely putting that one down on my list! *excited* I loved Fahrenheit 451 so much. Awesome writing ^_^

I got to the end of Picture Bride by Yoshiko Uchida. It was nice to read about Japanese Americans and already know all the stuff she was explaining about Japanese culture :P And I was very relieved that for once I was proven wrong and an illegitimate relationship didn't pan out. I was very impressed with the way Uchida showed the strength of the female main character, not through being irascible and independent, but through persevering and keeping her dignity even during the internment camp years when they lived in a horse stall for a while.

Then I read Night by Elie Wiesel. I'm with the guy who wrote the introduction; this is as striking a description of Nazi concentration camps as The Hiding Place, if much more despairing since Wiesel lost his faith there :( Books like that make me feel so pampered and...just blessed to live in the time and place that I do.

I also started Fallen Angels by Walter Dean Myers, which is about the Vietnam War. Haven't gotten very far yet.

Oh, and I'm reading We Make Our Own Destiny, a book about the Prince of Persia movie :grin: It makes up for the serious lack of special features on the DVD.
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Tue May 03, 2011 6:26 pm

Two Gentlemen of Lebowski, by Adam Bertocci. It's basically the script for The Big Lebowski rewritten as a Shakespearian play. If you're a fan of the movie, you'll love this book. The Knave abideth.
Htom Sirveaux

Postby Atria35 » Tue May 03, 2011 6:30 pm

Had to put down The Tongues of Serpants (darn library due dates!) and picked up Salem's Lot. So far, so good!
Atria35

Postby bigsleepj » Wed May 04, 2011 10:59 am

Currently, I'm reading All the Pretty Horses by Cormac McCarthy. Not far enough into it to comment fully on it yet.

Htom Sirveaux (post: 1476445) wrote:The Knave abideth.

I'm not a fan... but that made me smile. :)
Unwise Toasting Sermon

The Sweet Smell of CAA
The Avatar Christian Ronin designed for me
An Avatar KhakiBlue gave to me
The avatar Termyt made for me

KhakiBlueSocks wrote:"I'm going to make you a prayer request you can't refuse..." Cue the violins. :lol:

Current Avatar by SirThinks2much - thank you very much! :thumb::)
bigsleepj

Postby Mister » Thu May 05, 2011 1:29 pm

I'm reading "Mojave Crossing" by Louis L'Amour (Louis L'Amour Is AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

also if i may suggest soem things, The Transall Saga (one book) by Gary Paulsen/Paulson (sp?) is awesome. also The Blue Sword (forgot author)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=so6IQ4GYm2o&feature=related

I'll never be the same, after meeting you. I'll never Love the same after Loving you. i'll never breath the same after breathing in your Life. Lord you change me.
Mister

Postby rocklobster » Thu May 05, 2011 1:55 pm

[quote="ich1990 (post: 1476053)"]“Something Wicked this Way Comesâ€

my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby ich1990 » Thu May 05, 2011 4:15 pm

The Tempest” by William Shakespeare

Apparently, “The Tempest” is considered one of the Shakespeare's best although I am not sure why. There is no plot, there is little to zero character development, and everyone just seems to bumble about for a hundred pages without actually accomplishing anything. In an attempt to understand the play's significance I even read a few commentaries but they were nothing more than star-struck critics going over the play with a fine-tooth comb looking for any half-reason to gush with compliments. You can say “it is the most penetrating look into the nature of humanity and the human condition” all you want but you will have to make more of an effort than that to convince me.

A peculiar read. I didn't like it, although many do. 5/10

the_wolfs_howl (post: 1476444) wrote:Woah, thanks, ich! I'm definitely putting that one down on my list! *excited* I loved Fahrenheit 451 so much. Awesome writing ^_^
From what I have observed of your (excellent) taste in books and horror movies, I am certain you will enjoy it.

rocklobster (post: 1476903) wrote:Have you seen the movie version of Something Wicked This Way Comes? It's one of my favorites!
I haven't, actually. I must confess that I don't see how a movie version could be any good, considering how much of the book relies on the careful mis-selection of words. I am curious now, I will check it out given the chance.
Where an Eidolon, named night, on a black throne reigns upright.
ich1990

Postby Atria35 » Thu May 05, 2011 7:38 pm

[quote="ich1990 (post: 1476930)"]“The Tempestâ€
Atria35

Postby Nanao » Thu May 05, 2011 9:03 pm

The Children of Hurin by JRR Tolkien ^___^
[color="RoyalBlue"]My help comes from the Lord, maker of heaven and earth.[/color] Psalm 121:2
[color="Pink"]@)[/color][color="Green"]}~`,~[/color] Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.
Nanao

Postby Blacklight » Thu May 05, 2011 10:04 pm

So, my sister convinced me to begin The Hunger Games.
So, I'm reading The Hunger Games.
And, that's kind of it for now...
[color="Blue"]@)[/color][color="Green"]}~`,~[/color]
[font="Book Antiqua"][color="DeepSkyBlue"]Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.[/color][/font]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[color="Pink"]chatbot 03:36 - Blacklight asks, are you sane?
My answer: It's hard to say, really.[/color]
Blacklight

Postby Nami » Fri May 06, 2011 11:56 am

Blacklight (post: 1477027) wrote:So, my sister convinced me to begin The Hunger Games.
So, I'm reading The Hunger Games.
And, that's kind of it for now...

That book is engaging...but when I realized she is still as bratty as when she left, I lost interest. It seems to me reading all three books would be a waste.. tell me if the second one is better than the first. If it goes in a continious circle :/ I'd be annoyed.

House of Dark Shadows by Robert Liparulo - HOLY SNAP!! I read this book just today, from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. And I am finished. Sitting at work, I devoured this whole book! Dang, that doesn't include the time I went off to do stuff. This book is engaging, thoroughly enjoyable, with siblings everyone can relate too and a family life that is really good. I hate when you get a book and all the characters either hate each other, or the parents are jerks...etc. Everything is so good, and this book is so freakin' creepy at first. Once you get into the fantasy of it, and out of the thrills and chills, its easier to handle. The very cover of teh book scream; "HORROR!" Oh man, I'm totally looking forward to the second book!!
Yours Truly,
Nami

Previous Next

Return to Book Corner