Favorite Time era/decade/century?

Talk about anything in here.

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:20 am

Nate (post: 1475063) wrote:Image

You are right, and I own up to my error. Sorry about that.

I'm still right about the toilet thing though. :p

Well, Rome did have some fancy plumbing systems back in the day...
Shao Feng-Li

Postby rocklobster » Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:08 am

For some reason, I really like medieval times. I know it wasn't that nice of an era, but it's all the mythology surrounding it.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Yamamaya » Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:35 am

Kaori (post: 1475041) wrote:-Women gained suffrage in New Zealand in 1893, which is 27 years earlier than in the United States, and there are [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_women%27s_suffrage]a multitude of other nations that granted women’] notably Australia, Sweden, and Norway.

-Women in ancient Sparta ran, wrestled, participated in athletics, managed their family estates, could own and inherit property, and had pretty much every right except the right to vote. Plutarch said, “the men of Sparta always obeyed their wives.”

-Women in ancient Egypt had good status: they could own property, sign contracts, divorce, and serve as witnesses in a court of law. Moreover, love and emotional closeness were an expected and important part of marriage.

-Women in ancient Sumer (the most ancient documented civilization on earth) could engage almost any profession; for example, they could be merchants or priests. The only exception is that there appear to have been no women scribes. Women could buy and sell property, buy and sell slaves, and run businesses.

So, please don’t act as if twentieth century America is the only place and time where women have had any sort of decent status or rights, because that simply isn’t true.

Excellent list, but you forgot about Ireland and the Native Americans.

In Ireland women were respected and had more rights during its late pagan era. After it became a "Christian" kingdom, it was the only kingdom that allowed Christian abbesses to hear confessions and have the same status as priests. Also when the Catholic Church took a vote in the Middle Ages over whether women had souls, Ireland voted that women did have souls.

In many Native American societies, women had a great deal of respect and rights. They had the right to divorce without any fuss. They often held high and respected positions in society. For example, there were women at the meeting of chiefs. The family tree was often traced through the mother's line rather than the fathers.

@Shao. Yes, but you still didn't have any toilet paper. You had to scrub your behind with sponges attached to sticks.
Yamamaya

Postby broly146 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:04 am

Wow...don't know what to say about this...the whole women's right thing is already passed in the constitution, so is it worth arguing over?
It's not whether you can or can't do it, it is if you do it or not. Nothing comes easy in this world, especially a job or money. I rely on Jesus to get me through these hard times of persecution.
broly146

Postby Atria35 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:26 am

broly146 (post: 1475383) wrote:Wow...don't know what to say about this...the whole women's right thing is already passed in the constitution, so is it worth arguing over?

They aren't arguing over it, just stating that America wasn't the first one to have women's rights, nor that the 20th century was the earliest time we had it. They're giving examples.
Atria35

Postby broly146 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:27 am

Atria35 (post: 1475388) wrote:They aren't arguing over it, just stating that America wasn't the first one to have women's rights, nor that the 20th century was the earliest time we had it. They're giving examples.

oh, ok...sorry:sweat:
It's not whether you can or can't do it, it is if you do it or not. Nothing comes easy in this world, especially a job or money. I rely on Jesus to get me through these hard times of persecution.
broly146

Postby Furen » Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:03 pm

The here and now!
And this I pray, that your love would abound still, more and more with real knowledge and all discernment. Be prepared to preach the gospel at a moment's notice. Do you know the gospel well enough to do so yourself? Be ready.
Furen

Postby Nate » Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:21 pm

Yamamaya wrote:You had to scrub your behind with sponges attached to sticks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSJQEl5vcAo

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby broly146 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:28 pm

Um...the present!
broly146

Postby Radical Dreamer » Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:20 pm

I wouldn't have wanted to live there, but I think the 20's have the MOST fantastic fashion. XD I also like a lot of the music from the 80's, as well as the 60's and 70's. XD Victorian-era baroque stuff looks pretty awesome too, but I would've wanted to live in that era even LESS. XD
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby broly146 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:22 pm

70s and 80s because the music is awesomeness!
broly146

Postby Syreth » Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:11 pm

I guess in terms of what era I'd live in, I'd give a completely different answer than my first one. My answer being that I wouldn't like to live in an era other than this one.

I definitely wouldn't like to live in my era of interest (1400-1600's) - that would probably be my last choice, honestly. Though it is rather fun to talk about, even though most of the time those conversations turn into, "What age do you think you would live to?"
Syreth

Postby rocklobster » Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:15 pm

broly146 (post: 1475410) wrote:70s and 80s because the music is awesomeness!

YES! My childhood!:rock:
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby broly146 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:24 pm

^-^ 70s is better than 80s
broly146

Postby Atria35 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:27 pm

broly146 (post: 1475436) wrote:^-^ 70s is better than 80s

Yeah. Who doesn't love that psychadelic lead paint! :lol: I'd also cry seeing those soldiers coming back from 'Nam. So it just wouldn't work for me.
Atria35

Postby broly146 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:35 pm

true...
broly146

Postby WhiteMage212 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:34 am

For me, I don't know why, but I always fantasize about living in a post-apoctoliptic world (probably spelled that wrong). Imagine if all of a sudden, practically everyone disappeared and so you had empty cities, everything just left there. And then eventually, nature would merge with the city. I find designs that incorporate nature yet keep a very modern city approach can be serene weirdly. I find that if I could walk on the freeway or city streets while it empty quite exciting. Lol, there is so much more I could add to that description!
In the beginning, God created HTML...- R. Zion
Men cry not for themselves, but for there comrades.-FF7 Crisis Core
"If it's not the gun that takes you down, it's the pen- myself
Know God, No fear.
If it doesn't fit, you must edIT! MOES. http://www.christiananime.net/showthread.php?t=43825[/URL].
WhiteMage212

Postby broly146 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:31 am

hmm...sounds like a cool place to explore
broly146

Postby TheMewster » Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:35 am

WhiteMage212 (post: 1475523) wrote:For me, I don't know why, but I always fantasize about living in a post-apoctoliptic world (probably spelled that wrong). Imagine if all of a sudden, practically everyone disappeared and so you had empty cities, everything just left there. And then eventually, nature would merge with the city. I find designs that incorporate nature yet keep a very modern city approach can be serene weirdly. I find that if I could walk on the freeway or city streets while it empty quite exciting. Lol, there is so much more I could add to that description!

Sounds pretty but you'd also have to suffer the loss of friends, family, and the Internet. So no post-apocalyptic worlds for me!
So the poor has hope, and injustice shuts her mouth. ~Job 5:16 WEB~
For you are my hope, Lord Yahweh; my confidence from my youth. ~Psalm 71:5 WEB~
TheMewster

Postby broly146 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:37 am

I didn't think about that :P
broly146

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:21 am

Yamamaya (post: 1475372) wrote:Also when the Catholic Church took a vote in the Middle Ages over whether women had souls, Ireland voted that women did have souls.

@Shao. Yes, but you still didn't have any toilet paper. You had to scrub your behind with sponges attached to sticks.

Still miles ahead of leaves and corncobs XD

Also, I can't believe it was actually a debate whether or not women had souls. I mean really.
Shao Feng-Li

Postby broly146 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:27 am

I like the 90s
broly146

Postby WhiteMage212 » Mon May 02, 2011 10:33 am

TheMewster (post: 1475548) wrote:Sounds pretty but you'd also have to suffer the loss of friends, family, and the Internet. So no post-apocalyptic worlds for me!

True... Guess that we could live in villages and leave the city empty to explore.
In the beginning, God created HTML...- R. Zion
Men cry not for themselves, but for there comrades.-FF7 Crisis Core
"If it's not the gun that takes you down, it's the pen- myself
Know God, No fear.
If it doesn't fit, you must edIT! MOES. http://www.christiananime.net/showthread.php?t=43825[/URL].
WhiteMage212

Postby Wolf-man » Mon May 02, 2011 1:38 pm

Nate (post: 1475036) wrote:Actually, practically all of that is romanticized or completely made-up for television and movies, just like ninjas wearing all black and throwing shuriken at stuff.

Vigilantism was only looked at favorably (and even then only occasionally) in areas that were just starting to be settled or out of the reach of major settlements in the area...in other words, there wasn't any other law enforcement in the area, so people took it upon themselves to protect others. In well-established towns, vigilantism would have been frowned upon, unless the sheriff was corrupt or something.

Gun battles are absolutely a made up tradition of the Old West, as most Old West towns actually completely banned guns and firearms. Unforgiven, which is a Clint Eastwood movie, provides an accurate depiction of how guns were handled in the Old West: the sheriff told new people coming into town to hand over their weapons, and if they didn't, there was going to be trouble.

Even the towns that didn't take away or restrict guns had strong laws against their use, such as "no shooting in the street," and you can bet anyone who tried to break that law would be taken care of by the sheriff pretty quickly. So any notion of showdowns in the middle of town is pretty much made up.

So you'd be sorely disappointed if you think stuff like The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly is indicative of how things were back then. :p

Oh thanks! You just ruined my life!
j/k I realize that most of it is romanticized. What kind of aspiring History teacher would be if I thought that the movies were accurate to actual History. I still love the time period though. Actually the game Red Dead Redemption is a fairly accurate interpretation of the time period.
Wolf-man

Postby thisiskris89 » Mon May 02, 2011 2:08 pm

i kinda love the 50's.it was such a sincere romantic time.the movies always make me cry.unlike all the trashy movies and shows we have today.i think i couldve done alright if i was born then haha.im such an old fashioned gal teeheehee*puts on vintage dress and starts singing old show tunes*
i float like a cloud and sting like a paper cut!:thumb:
thisiskris89

Postby Atria35 » Mon May 02, 2011 2:13 pm

thisiskris89 (post: 1476123) wrote:i kinda love the 50's.it was such a sincere romantic time.the movies always make me cry.unlike all the trashy movies and shows we have today.i think i couldve done alright if i was born then haha.im such an old fashioned gal teeheehee*puts on vintage dress and starts singing old show tunes*

My mom remembers the 50's very well.

Don't trust the movies. It really wasn't that great. Especially if you were a girl.
Atria35

Postby thisiskris89 » Mon May 02, 2011 2:18 pm

Atria35 (post: 1476126) wrote:My mom remembers the 50's very well.

Don't trust the movies. It really wasn't that great. Especially if you were a girl.

i know.it was still a nicer time none the less. compared to now anyways haha^^ but isuppose all era's had their ups and downs^^
i float like a cloud and sting like a paper cut!:thumb:
thisiskris89

Postby mechana2015 » Mon May 02, 2011 2:23 pm

Atria35 (post: 1475437) wrote:I'd also cry seeing those soldiers coming back from 'Nam. So it just wouldn't work for me.

My mom was a stewerdess on flights that flew soldiers in and out (mostly in since there wern't many left to take back out when she was doing it) of Vietnam as a contractor for MAC. The stories she's mentioned about it make me pretty glad I wasn't alive then.

The endemic racism kind of turns me off to the 50's and 60's as well. I'm not really OK with living in a time where we had separated water fountains.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby piffle » Mon May 02, 2011 8:59 pm

I like medieval european history, as well as the American Revolution. But I don't think I could live in any century besides this one; I like technology very much. ^_^
piffle

Postby Atria35 » Mon May 02, 2011 9:23 pm

thisiskris89 (post: 1476127) wrote:i know.it was still a nicer time none the less. compared to now anyways haha^^ but isuppose all era's had their ups and downs^^

Depends on which ups and downs you're comparing with. I mean, back then, you didn't have seat belts in cars or airbags, you wore a uniform to school, if you were a girl you didn't have the option of being a scientist or engineer without being relegated to the most detrimental or meaningless of positions- if you were able to get into the field at all- and yeah, you had the endemic racism that was everywhere. Civil rights weren't around yet, Jim Crow laws were still in effect. Mixed-race couples were extremely frowned on. You didn't have the internet. And you had the Korean War going on.

So as long as you do know that there were downsides.
Atria35

Previous Next

Return to General