Favorite Time era/decade/century?

Talk about anything in here.

Favorite Time era/decade/century?

Postby UniqueAngelStar » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:45 am

Hello everybody!

Just a random question:

What is your favorite time era/period/decade?

Meaning if you either love the 14th century, modern times, 80's, 90's etc...

If so, do you wish you lived at those times?
Or sometimes have nostalgic memories from the decade you lived through?
ImageImage
[color="DarkOrchid"]@)[/color][color="DarkGreen"]}~`,~[/color][color="DeepSkyBlue"] Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.[/color]
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]Proud member of[/color] MOES!
UniqueAngelStar

Postby ShiroiHikari » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:58 am

I'm a big fan of the 80s. I also like 1950s fashion and interior design, but I wouldn't want to live back then.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Atria35 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:04 am

Depends. I like the Victorian Era (I love them clothes!), the 20's for the furniture, and the Tudor Era for everything.

But yeah, living during then? No.
Atria35

Postby aliveinHim » Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:06 am

I love the Revolutionary and Civil war eras. I love taking trips to places like Gettysburg.
"And you He made alive, who were dead in trespasses and sins, in which you once walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit who now works in the sons of disobedience, among whom also we all once conducted ourselves in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind, and were by nature children of wrath, just as the others.
But God, who is rich in mercy, because of His great love with which He loved us, even when we were dead in trespasses, made us alive together with Christ (by grace you have been saved), and raised us up together, and made us sit together in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus, that in the ages to come He might show the exceeding riches of His grace in His kindness toward us in Christ Jesus." Ephesians 2:1-7

http://oribichan94.deviantart.com/
aliveinHim

Postby Seto_Sora » Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:43 am

I love the 20s for the clothing... but I dress that way anyway, so it doesn't matter. But I absolutely love the 19th Century! I would love to have lived in that time, especially in England. If I did, I'd have married Jane Austen! ;) And would have gone to Spurgeon's Church every day its doors were open! I'd be buying Dickens new off the shelf! I'd be wearing fashionable clothing! Riding a horse as a gentleman through the countryside for leisure! And I'd be a champion of Lady's honour! Fight duels left and right! Killing the rogues!!!! XD ah! Its a simple dream really.

SDG
This

Seto_Sora

Postby ShiroiHikari » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:25 am

As far as going back in time is concerned, I would not want to go back any further than, like, the 1970s.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Yamamaya » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:48 am

11th century Vinland. That is all.
Yamamaya

Postby Dante » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:12 pm

I liked 30,750 BC Europe.
Dante

Postby Sapphire225 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:06 pm

The 90s...what!?

Okay, 900 AD Africa and Asia.
"Because the World isn't as cruel as you take it to be." ~ Celty, Durarara!!

Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you."
~Deuteronomy 31:6

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We live in a fantasy world, a world of illusion. The great task in life is to find reality. ~ Iris Murdoch
Sapphire225

Postby Xeno » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:38 pm

ShiroiHikari (post: 1472983) wrote:As far as going back in time is concerned, I would not want to go back any further than, like, the 1970s.

Amen to that, I couldn't survive without the tech. And American cars were still awesome and cheap at that time.

Personally I liked the 1980's for the Presidency of that era, the 1960's for the cars (Mustangs, Camaros, and Chargers; OH MY!). Since I'm also kind of an artsy-fartsy guy, I like the women's fashion of the 1960's and the Victorian Era. I wouldn't want to wear the stuff myself, but I find the designs either very beautify and elegant or abstract.

I'm also a history buff, so the 1800's for the Civil War and then the World Wars in the early half of the 20th century.

I'm sure I'm probably missing some stuff here, but I think this will suffice.
Xeno

Postby bobmonkeys » Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:00 pm

Well I've been reading the Romance of the Three Kingdoms, so I kind of have an obsession with second and third century China. I also want to know more in depth about the Sengoku era of Japan. But I wouldn't want to live in any other time period other than my own.
bobmonkeys

Postby TheMewster » Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:22 am

Used to have a fetish for feudal Japanese culture. Now mah favorite era is 2050. I dunno what will be there adding an element of surprise.
So the poor has hope, and injustice shuts her mouth. ~Job 5:16 WEB~
For you are my hope, Lord Yahweh; my confidence from my youth. ~Psalm 71:5 WEB~
TheMewster

Postby Warrior4Christ » Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:50 am

I miss 2005.

Nah, I mean I agree with Patrick - the (late) 19th century would have been pretty cool - speaking in upper class English accents, not because you want to sound funny; just that that's what comes out of your mouth.
Everywhere like such as, and MOES.

"Expect great things from God; attempt great things for God." - William Carey
Warrior4Christ

Location: Carefully place an additional prawn on the barbecue

Postby Nate » Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:25 am

TheMewster wrote:Now mah favorite era is 2050.

And here I was hoping I'd be the guy to post a date far off in the future just to be a smart aleck. XP Guess I was too slow on the draw!

As for the real answer, it would be...right now. While some people fight against it, human rights are gaining ground and equality is more real now than it has ever been in the past. Medical technology has improved by leaps and bounds, and we make jokes about flu shots and stuff, but the flu was a seriously devastating and deadly disease before the modern era, which shows just how far we've come...same with polio being completely extinct naturally, and it was a HUGE deal in past eras.

We have great conveniences and wonders that have greatly improved the quality of our lives, and while other time periods would be neat to look at, I wouldn't want to live in those eras at all. So right now, this time period we live in, is my favorite.

Also, to be a bit of a jerk, I have to snicker whenever I see a female saying they want to live in any place or any time period before mid-1900s America. I'm sure being treated like property and having no rights would be a TON of fun. :p

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Sheenar » Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:51 am

Nate (post: 1474804) wrote:And here I was hoping I'd be the guy to post a date far off in the future just to be a smart aleck. XP Guess I was too slow on the draw!

As for the real answer, it would be...right now. While some people fight against it, human rights are gaining ground and equality is more real now than it has ever been in the past. Medical technology has improved by leaps and bounds, and we make jokes about flu shots and stuff, but the flu was a seriously devastating and deadly disease before the modern era, which shows just how far we've come...same with polio being completely extinct naturally, and it was a HUGE deal in past eras.

We have great conveniences and wonders that have greatly improved the quality of our lives, and while other time periods would be neat to look at, I wouldn't want to live in those eras at all. So right now, this time period we live in, is my favorite.

Also, to be a bit of a jerk, I have to snicker whenever I see a female saying they want to live in any place or any time period before mid-1900s America. I'm sure being treated like property and having no rights would be a TON of fun. :p

I have to agree with Nate. In the past, people with disabilities (both physical and mental) were just shipped off to institutions and set aside. Now, people are more aware of disabilities and we are able to get out and enjoy life in society instead of being cast out like lepers. Since the passage of the ADA in 1980, we now enjoy more rights, enabling us to gain employment (protecting from discrimination), access public accommodations, get an education and use adaptive equipment to help us get around (like service dogs.)
There are still people with that old mindset, but thankfully, they are the minority nowadays.

Not to mention, being a woman before 1960 or so would suck. I don't want to be June Cleaver and be the "happy little wife" barefoot in the kitchen. :O

I'd like to have a more simplistic lifestyle and live on a farm, but I'd rather do so with the modern advances in technology.
"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." 2 Corinthians 4:16-18

"Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves."
Sheenar

Postby Nate » Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:54 am

Sheenar wrote:I'd like to have a more simplistic lifestyle and live on a farm, but I'd rather do so with the modern advances in technology.

Yeah, outhouses are the worst. I think anyone who fawns over past time periods would pretty much change their minds as soon as they needed to use the bathroom and be like "Wait can I go back to my normal time period now?" Plumbing was a pretty great invention. :p

Nate

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:22 am

Nate (post: 1474804) wrote:Also, to be a bit of a jerk, I have to snicker whenever I see a female saying they want to live in any place or any time period before mid-1900s America. I'm sure being treated like property and having no rights would be a TON of fun. :p

I dunno. I just slave away for 40 hours a week in a retail store. I'd rather be in my kitchen at home XD
Shao Feng-Li

Postby Ally-Ann » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:55 am

Nate (post: 1474804) wrote:And here I was hoping I'd be the guy to post a date far off in the future just to be a smart aleck. XP Guess I was too slow on the draw!

Yep. Exactly.

My favorite century? This one. Which one would I rather live in? This one. I like good health, internet, and deodorant, thank you very much.
[color="Lime"]My Fictionpress account[/color]! http://www.fictionpress.com/u/740837/Ally-Ann

[color="Yellow"]My Fanfiction account[/color]! http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2401061/ArmyAngel316

My nicknames! [color="Pink"]~*[/color][color="palegreen"]Ally[/color][color="pink"]*~[/color] [color="white"](>[/color][color="Cyan"]Mochi-chan[/color][color="White"]<)[/color]

I like mochi. ^^

I question my [color="DarkOrchid"]sanity[/color]. (._.)

Operation: Blackout
Ally-Ann

Postby bakura91 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:29 am

Oh man easy question, 1980s for me Ive always had an obsession with this time. I love the 80s music, movies, fashion, hairstyles, the stuff going on politically with the end of the Cold war. I dont know why but its always been my favorite decade.
bakura91

Postby ShiroiHikari » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:17 am

The 80s were pretty cool in a lot of ways, especially if you were a kid during that time.

I've also developed a bit of fondness for 70s stuff. Generally it was pretty out there, but some of the interior design and clothes were actually kinda neat.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Syreth » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:00 pm

I've always been interested in the 1400-1600's, particularly in Europe, because the overall mindset of people at the time seems fascinating to me.
Syreth

Postby broly146 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:06 pm

I have always been interested in the Crusades
It's not whether you can or can't do it, it is if you do it or not. Nothing comes easy in this world, especially a job or money. I rely on Jesus to get me through these hard times of persecution.
broly146

Postby UniqueAngelStar » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:54 pm

I like the 90's the best! It was the most awesome decade ever! That is when cartoons and TV shows was awesome and anime was getting popular!

I like the 50's because of their fashion, especially their skirts! X3 Love them!

But I also like the European Victorian and Renaissance times. Those times were very elegant, especially their clothing and style.

But modern times are awesome as well because of technology and other advances (that including video games) :D
ImageImage
[color="DarkOrchid"]@)[/color][color="DarkGreen"]}~`,~[/color][color="DeepSkyBlue"] Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.[/color]
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]Proud member of[/color] MOES!
UniqueAngelStar

Postby Wolf-man » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:55 pm

Probably my favorite time period in History was America in the mid 1830's to 1920. The American Western Frontier. I love that Old West justice with gun battles and awesome stuff like that. I mean back when vigilantism was looked favorably upon and bounty hunting was a common profession. The clothing style was awesome and you had real rough and tough men. So great.
I also have a love for the 80's. It is a fun decade with some great music.:grin:
I also like the clothing style of the 40's and 50's.
Wolf-man

Postby Nate » Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:51 am

Wolf-man wrote:I love that Old West justice with gun battles and awesome stuff like that. I mean back when vigilantism was looked favorably upon and bounty hunting was a common profession.

Actually, practically all of that is romanticized or completely made-up for television and movies, just like ninjas wearing all black and throwing shuriken at stuff.

Vigilantism was only looked at favorably (and even then only occasionally) in areas that were just starting to be settled or out of the reach of major settlements in the area...in other words, there wasn't any other law enforcement in the area, so people took it upon themselves to protect others. In well-established towns, vigilantism would have been frowned upon, unless the sheriff was corrupt or something.

Gun battles are absolutely a made up tradition of the Old West, as most Old West towns actually completely banned guns and firearms. Unforgiven, which is a Clint Eastwood movie, provides an accurate depiction of how guns were handled in the Old West: the sheriff told new people coming into town to hand over their weapons, and if they didn't, there was going to be trouble.

Even the towns that didn't take away or restrict guns had strong laws against their use, such as "no shooting in the street," and you can bet anyone who tried to break that law would be taken care of by the sheriff pretty quickly. So any notion of showdowns in the middle of town is pretty much made up.

So you'd be sorely disappointed if you think stuff like The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly is indicative of how things were back then. :p

Nate

Postby Xeno » Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:28 am

Sheenar (post: 1474809) wrote:I have to agree with Nate. In the past, people with disabilities (both physical and mental) were just shipped off to institutions and set aside. Now, people are more aware of disabilities and we are able to get out and enjoy life in society instead of being cast out like lepers. Since the passage of the ADA in 1980, we now enjoy more rights, enabling us to gain employment (protecting from discrimination), access public accommodations, get an education and use adaptive equipment to help us get around (like service dogs.)
There are still people with that old mindset, but thankfully, they are the minority nowadays.

I just want to throw something out there in regards to this. The additional rights are great, and I'm thankful they exist (I've got a few issues myself). However, the de-institutionalization of many mentally disabled people has caused problems. Since in many cases people who need to be in an institution aren't. As a result we have more and more homeless people, more people being born with severe mental illnesses that are genetically predisposed and such (not advocating eugenics or anything like that just in case you call me on it).

The issue with transients with mental disabilities (and that encompasses most of them) is that a good deal of them should be in an institution where they can get the attention and care for their situation that they need. Since this no longer happens, they are released into the world with a prescription for drugs that will help their condition. They are then either unable to hold a job because of their condition, which in turn makes it to where they can't afford their needed medication and they get worse, or they opt to quit taking it for some reason making so they can't hold a job, and end up homeless. Now, I'm not saying this happens to most people with mental challenges and/or disabilities; I'm saying this is the case for most transients.

Note: I'm not talking about people with issues such as autism, dyslexia, dyscalculia, etc., I'm talking about those with bi-polar/manic depression, schizophrenia, and the like (and again, I'm not saying everyone with these disorders should be institutionalized as they can be quite manageable with proper medication).

You may not agree with me on this, and that's fine, you're entitled to your own opinion. But when you work with law enforcement in the capacity that I do, this becomes very apparent.

If I offended anyone then I apologize, but this is how I see this situation.
Xeno

Postby Kaori » Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:44 am

Nate wrote: I have to snicker whenever I see a female saying they want to live in any place or any time period before mid-1900s America. I'm sure being treated like property and having no rights would be a TON of fun. :p

-Women gained suffrage in New Zealand in 1893, which is 27 years earlier than in the United States, and there are a multitude of other nations that granted women’s suffrage before the US, notably Australia, Sweden, and Norway.

-Women in ancient Sparta ran, wrestled, participated in athletics, managed their family estates, could own and inherit property, and had pretty much every right except the right to vote. Plutarch said, “the men of Sparta always obeyed their wives.â€
Let others believe in the God who brings men to trial and judges them. I shall cling to the God who resurrects the dead.
-St. Nikolai Velimirovich

MAL
Kaori

Postby Nate » Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:30 am

Xeno wrote:If I offended anyone then I apologize, but this is how I see this situation.

Kaori wrote:please don’t act as if twentieth century America is the only place and time where women have had any sort of decent status or rights, because that simply isn’t true.

You are right, and I own up to my error. Sorry about that.

I'm still right about the toilet thing though. :p

Nate

Postby Sheenar » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:15 am

[quote="Xeno (post: 1475037)"]I just want to throw something out there in regards to this. The additional rights are great, and I'm thankful they exist (I've got a few issues myself). However, the de-institutionalization of many mentally disabled people has caused problems. Since in many cases people who need to be in an institution aren't. As a result we have more and more homeless people, more people being born with severe mental illnesses that are genetically predisposed and such (not advocating eugenics or anything like that just in case you call me on it).

The issue with transients with mental disabilities (and that encompasses most of them) is that a good deal of them should be in an institution where they can get the attention and care for their situation that they need. Since this no longer happens, they are released into the world with a prescription for drugs that will help their condition. They are then either unable to hold a job because of their condition, which in turn makes it to where they can't afford their needed medication and they get worse, or they opt to quit taking it for some reason making so they can't hold a job, and end up homeless. Now, I'm not saying this happens to most people with mental challenges and/or disabilities]

Yes, the mental health system is broken. But things are better than they used to be. Check out the documentary "The Marketing of Madness" on YouTube--it's a very interesting look at mental health in the U.S. (don't completely agree with everything in it, but it's interesting nonetheless.) Still, the current system is much better than it was in the past where patients/those institutionalized suffered horrible abuses --some of the drugs back then had some very horrible side-effects.

I'm an advocate more for proper teaching of coping skills to help manage one's mental illness. But medication can be helpful while learning coping skills/in combination with them. None of these things were available in the past. People did not learn grounding techniques to help come out of a panic attack, for instance.

By the way, autism isn't a mental illness. Yes, it's in the DSM, but it really is more of a neurological condition. I can go into this more via PM if you would like.
"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." 2 Corinthians 4:16-18

"Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves."
Sheenar

Postby Kaori » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:28 am

Nate wrote:You are right, and I own up to my error. Sorry about that.

No problem. My compulsive need to clear up such misconceptions probably stems from the fact that I teach world history.

I'm still right about the toilet thing though. :p

I never said you weren’t. :p
Let others believe in the God who brings men to trial and judges them. I shall cling to the God who resurrects the dead.
-St. Nikolai Velimirovich

MAL
Kaori

Next

Return to General