Focusing on homework

Talk about anything in here.

Focusing on homework

Postby aliveinHim » Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:26 pm

I have a hard time focusing on homework. Especially if it involves typing stuff on the computer because I get soooooo distracted. Any ideas on how to focus on homework even though you have to sit at the computer with the temptation of the internet?
"And you He made alive, who were dead in trespasses and sins, in which you once walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit who now works in the sons of disobedience, among whom also we all once conducted ourselves in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind, and were by nature children of wrath, just as the others.
But God, who is rich in mercy, because of His great love with which He loved us, even when we were dead in trespasses, made us alive together with Christ (by grace you have been saved), and raised us up together, and made us sit together in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus, that in the ages to come He might show the exceeding riches of His grace in His kindness toward us in Christ Jesus." Ephesians 2:1-7

http://oribichan94.deviantart.com/
aliveinHim

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:16 pm

Computer stuff: disconnect the Internet. Ask a sibling or parent to check on you frequently to make sure you're not playing Solitaire. An older siblings or parent is best, because it's not a blow to your pride if they have to give you a hard time. (I don't think anyone wants a lecture from his or her kid sister.)

As for homework in binders, I keep a sheet of lined paper on hand that I can doodle on. I usually don't draw anything serious (hard to draw anything epic with blue lines running through it XD), I just do rough sketches, and usually not full-body ones. It's good art practice because it gives me a chance to experiment without worrying if it comes out wrong. And, when I do it in moderation, it keeps me from daydreaming too much. As a bonus, I collect my doodle pages at the end of the year, and Mom counts them as Fine Art credit, which I need for high school.

If I'm reading a book for homework, it's less convenient to doodle, because you can't exactly break every couple of questions to sketch. To help me focus I go into my room where it's somewhat quiet and there aren't any kids driving each other crazy and screaming. Sometimes I'll have music, sometimes not. I've learned that I can't get much work done when I'm listening to any of my iTunes playlists. A piece of music can be very distracting if it's among my favorite songs, so usually I'll either play a CD beginning to end (I've never had a CD that was 100% favorites), or the radio.

But you have to figure out what's best for you. My sister gets tons of work done in her room, in silence, by herself. No music. No checkups. She goes into her room for a few hours and doesn't come out until she has a problem or wants lunch. My younger brother, in contrast, gets very distracted when he's in his room (and he's at an age where he needs help often, anyway). So the same thing won't work for everyone. Experiment and figure out what works for you. ^^
Hats wrote:"Frodo! Cast off your [s]sins[/s] into the fire!"

EllaEdric 06:53 -IM SO UNEQUIPPED TO BE A MAN ITS NOT EVEN FUNNY.
FllMtl Novelist

Postby TheMewster » Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:44 pm

Try getting a web filter or disconnecting the internet. Pray first before working and chunk your time. God bless!
So the poor has hope, and injustice shuts her mouth. ~Job 5:16 WEB~
For you are my hope, Lord Yahweh; my confidence from my youth. ~Psalm 71:5 WEB~
TheMewster

Postby Midori » Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:47 pm

I second the suggestion of music. Specifically, you want to listen to something that doesn't get you invigorated, but just kinda relaxed.

Here's another possible strategy: pick just one distraction to interleave with your homework; for example, a simple computer game. When you feel the dullness of the homework weighing on you, play one round of the game to unwind yourself, and then go back to your homework. At least, that's if you have the self-control to play only one round. Basically, if you're like most people and cannot focus solidly on one thing for a long time, then if you allow yourself to take up other distractions in a controlled fashion, and continually go back to your homework, you might have an easier time.

Anyway, these strategies might not apply to you, since everybody has their own personality. Different people require different strategies to focus on things. It may take some experimenting to find out what works for you.
Midori

Postby Nanao » Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:19 pm

Bah, evil homework >_< I've had the same problem, especially if it's not my favourite subject. Midori's idea of picking just one distraction is amazing. Another idea you might also try is setting a timer on your computer and working for that set amount of time before you let yourself get on the internet. The trick is keeping it short enough so you don't get too tired. Another idea might be going somewhere where there isn't an internet connection (granted, that's getting harder to come by).
[color="RoyalBlue"]My help comes from the Lord, maker of heaven and earth.[/color] Psalm 121:2
[color="Pink"]@)[/color][color="Green"]}~`,~[/color] Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.
Nanao

Postby Okami » Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:46 pm

I would suggest non-lyrical music, classical or symphonic rock or thereabouts. It comes in handy when studying for exams - I know it helps me to better sort and process whatever I'm working with. Or, if you're slightly psychotic like me, playing the non-stop Nyan Cat in the background while typing a huge research paper XD

Otherwise, you learn to multi-task and do it well and effectively, while keeping to the efficiency of your schoolwork. That didn't work out as well in high school as it is now in college, though. As I type this I am also typing out an outline to the book of Joel. Wheee~
~*~ Blessed to be Ryosuke's wife!
"We will be her church, the body of Christ coming alive to
meet her needs, to write love on her arms." ~ Jamie Tworkowski
Okami

Postby Slater » Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:24 am

I recommend doing all your homeowkr at school. This worked extremely well for me in college. Whether it is computerized or not, there's something about physically sitting in a study hall that just infuses you with focus.

These distractions never go away, and it's why I absolutely hate trying to work from home, even though the tempting offer is always there.
Slater

Return to General