What are you studying? (Or planning to study?)

Talk about anything in here.

What are you studying? (Or planning to study?)

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:08 pm

So graduation is slowly sneaking up on me (two weeks!) and with all the stress and uncertainty of everything I've also been wondering what everyone at CAA is studying/planning to study/likes to study.

If you've been out of school for a while you can still share with us your expertise, of course! And if you're in highschool and thinking about college, what do you think you'll study when you're in college?

In May I'll be getting my bachelors in psychology so obviously I like studying psychology. XD And in the fall later this year I'm planning to start a dual-masters degree program for Theological Studies and Professional Mental Health Counseling. I'm pretty excited about that. :D I'm hoping I can one day get a doctorate in both of those fields and maybe teach in universities or something generic like that. XD

So share. I'm curious! And I like seeing CAA's diversity. :D
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:20 pm

I'm finishing up a Bachelor of Education (Primary) 4 year course. I just have my teaching Internship (final teaching block) to do. I'll be finished around late June. Being a Primary teacher qualifies me to teach 5-13 year olds.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby ADXC » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:07 am

I'm going for my BA in which my majors are Cross-Cultural Ministry, Biblical Exposition, and Counseling/Psychology with a TESOL(Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages) certificate.

I'm almost done with my Sophomore year of college and who knows how many more to go. XD Of course 2 more to graduate, but with all the majors I'm taking, it will take longer than that.

So yeah, I'm going to be here for a while. XDD
ADXC

Postby Midori » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:08 am

Computer science, with possibly a bit of psychology or theology on the side.
Midori

Postby CrystalChalice » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:11 am

I'll be studying Occupational Therapy this June.
Whatever the season in life, the RIGHT attitude makes all the difference.

"I will lift up mine eyes unto the hills, from whence cometh my help. My help cometh from the LORD, which made heaven and earth."
Psalm 121:1-2

"Though our paths may have diverged, you must continue to live out your life with all your might; you must never consider your own life to be something insignificant, and you must never forget about the friends whom you loved for as long as you live."
The Third Rule of Fairy Tail

"Mistakes are not shackles that halt one from stepping forward. Rather, they are that which sustain and grow one's heart.
Mavis Vermilion, Fairy Tail

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.
Avatar Aang, The Legend of Korra
CrystalChalice

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:12 am

ADXC (post: 1473173) wrote:I'm going for my BA in which my majors are Cross-Cultural Ministry, Biblical Exposition, and Counseling/Psychology with a TESOL(Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages) certificate.

I'm almost done with my Sophomore year of college and who knows how many more to go. XD Of course 2 more to graduate, but with all the majors I'm taking, it will take longer than that.

So yeah, I'm going to be here for a while. XDD

Wait... you're triple majoring?! O.o And hooray Psychology majors. Are you going to pursue that?
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby ADXC » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:20 am

Yep, I sure am. I'm going to die by the end of it, but I think I'll make it. XD

With my CCM and BE majors I do intend to pursue missions as a main thing, but also have Counseling/Psychology as a side option in case I decide that it will be useful(And I do think that they would be useful in missions.). I do not know if I'm going to go for a Masters yet though. However, I must say I have loved my Psychology and Counseling classes. :)

My TESOL certificate will help me get into a country to teach English like Bob did and then have ministry on the side.

Also, my Bachelor of Arts implies I am learning another language for four semesters which is Koine(Biblical) Greek(Approximately only 60% transfers over to modern Greek.) through the Hearing, Speaking, Reading, and Writing method. This is how we learn English so I thought it would be good to take this specific Koine Greek course.
ADXC

Postby Agloval » Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:30 am

I have a degree in English. I'm going to start a Masters in medieval literature next autumn. After that I expect to be unemployed, like most people with postgraduate qualifications in English.
'That blast is blown for me, for I am the prize, and yet am I not dead.'
Agloval

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:10 am

Agloval (post: 1473181) wrote:I have a degree in English. I'm going to start a Masters in medieval literature next autumn. After that I expect to be unemployed, like most people with postgraduate qualifications in English.

You could teach! :D I'm in a few English classes now and I'm loving them. Poststructural lit theory just fascinates me for plenty of reasons. You dig into Foucault or Butler or anybody?
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Agloval » Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:36 am

Mr. SmartyPants (post: 1473183) wrote:You could teach! :D I'm in a few English classes now and I'm loving them. Poststructural lit theory just fascinates me for plenty of reasons. You dig into Foucault or Butler or anybody?

Unfortunately most literary theory gives me a headache. If I had to list names I'd start with Richards, Empson and Lewis, who're all too old, too comprehensible and too English to be theorists. My undergraduate dissertation was engaged with Foucault, but that was because I was arguing that his ideas about confession have misdirected the study of penitential literature away from various useful kinds of text.
Agloval

Postby TheMewster » Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:11 am

I'm still not in college yet and don't know what I'll study. I want to be an artist, a missionary, or most likely, both. I also want to learn Biblical Greek, Hebrew, and Aramaic so what should I study and will these courses be offered at a secular college? I don't think I'll be doing good off on my own and there's no Christian colleges I know of near me. Thanks and God bless you!
So the poor has hope, and injustice shuts her mouth. ~Job 5:16 WEB~
For you are my hope, Lord Yahweh; my confidence from my youth. ~Psalm 71:5 WEB~
TheMewster

Postby Sapphire225 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:55 am

I'm already in college and about to finish my 1st year in 15 days. I'm majoring in International Studies and double minoring in French and Japanese. A big tournaround from my original major and minor (Biology Major, English and Chemistry double minor) I had a sudden loss in enthusiam for science for the winter break.
"Because the World isn't as cruel as you take it to be." ~ Celty, Durarara!!

Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you."
~Deuteronomy 31:6

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We live in a fantasy world, a world of illusion. The great task in life is to find reality. ~ Iris Murdoch
Sapphire225

Postby Atria35 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:57 am

I switchd from Bio to English (Chem and Physics destroyed me last semester). Majoring in English, minoring in East-Asian languages.
Atria35

Postby shooraijin » Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:08 am

Violence against my fellow man, woman and child by means of sterile sharp instruments and chemical agents. I mean, physician.

Thought about going to night school to get a law degree, but haven't really considered what I'd do with that.
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby Sapphire225 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:43 am

shooraijin (post: 1473210) wrote:Violence against my fellow man, woman and child by means of sterile sharp instruments and chemical agents. I mean, physician.

So it is true...doctors are secretly out to get us...and making making it all look like accidents...

Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We live in a fantasy world, a world of illusion. The great task in life is to find reality. ~ Iris Murdoch
Sapphire225

Postby goldenspines » Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:46 am

Oh my gosh, how did you find that picture of Shooby? O:

Anyway....>_>

I'm just studying for a Bachelor of Fine Arts in Illustration and a minor in Japanese Studies. I've only completed about three years thus far, but probably have another two to go. O_O
goldenspines

Postby Sapphire225 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:51 am

goldenspines (post: 1473221) wrote:Oh my gosh, how did you find that picture of Shooby? O:

The only way I know how...

Anyway, My sister most likely will major in Fine Arts, but is between that and Culinary.

Sapphire225

Postby Winry » Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:01 am

I have a BS in Biochemistry. Next month I'm graduating with a Doctor of Pharmacy degree and this it's off to residency for a year. Yay almost done! =D
"My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." 2 Corinthians 12:9

Phantom_Sorano 12:29 - Congrats Winry, you are the first CAA Chat Survivor.
Winry

Postby Okami » Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:04 am

I'm double-majoring in Bible/Theology and Psychology/Counseling. I'm almost two years into my Bachelor's degree (three more weeks!)

Psychology is my pursuit, as I plan on becoming an Crisis Adolescent Psychologist, dealing with teens and young adults who struggle with self-harm, eating disorders, addiction, and suicide. These issues are so close to my heart, and in today's age, there's a growing need for help in these areas.

Bible/Theology will allow me to become more active in the church and teach others what I know while also growing in my own faith to further help and support others in the church environment. So I'm also quite excited for that. :)
~*~ Blessed to be Ryosuke's wife!
"We will be her church, the body of Christ coming alive to
meet her needs, to write love on her arms." ~ Jamie Tworkowski
Okami

Postby TWWK » Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:14 am

...or studied?

I was a history major and minored in English. I also earned a certification to teach social studies courses in grades 8-12 in Texas.
Beneath the Tangles: Where Manga Meets the Maker

In the colors of Your goodness/In the scars that mark your skin/In the currency of Grace/Is where my song begins
~ "Economy of Mercy," Switchfoot
TWWK

Postby blkmage » Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:29 am

I'll be getting my bachelors in computer science and pure mathematics (finish last final today, wait two months, collect degree). In September, I'll be starting on my masters in theoretical computer science.
blkmage

Postby Agloval » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:06 am

blkmage (post: 1473231) wrote:...finish last final today...

Congratulations!
Agloval

Postby Vega » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:42 am

Im planning on majoring in Biblical Theology and maybe some political science.
The mind is so complex when your based. 32 levels. Welcome to my world. --Lil B
I'm not guna let anything take the love from my heart, the love of life and spreading peace and positive, thank you earth I'm alive. --Lil B
Swag like I'm marrow, in my bones. Swag in my bones. Bone Marrow Swag. -- Lil B
Shouts out to Lil B "The Based God".
Vega

Postby Kung_Fu_Master » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:58 am

I already have a degree in music but at the moment I'm half a year into working getting my bachelors with a major in animation and a minor in graphic design. After that I'll work at a place like Disney (Hopefully) as an intern for a few years and gather connections in the field then go get my masters in Psychology and English.

That reminds me. I need to start getting ready for class right now.
World Domination or Bust :thumb:
Kung_Fu_Master

Location: In the Animation department at school with hours of homework.

Postby aliveinHim » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:05 am

Gosh, in the past 2 years, I've changed my major a bajillion times. I've still got 2 more years till college. My first major was international relations, then it was poli-sci, then it was theology, then it was english, then it was studio art, now it's graphic art. I'm still a public policy nerd even though I'd rather be an artist. I don't read the news alot, I just know a lot about it.
"And you He made alive, who were dead in trespasses and sins, in which you once walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit who now works in the sons of disobedience, among whom also we all once conducted ourselves in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind, and were by nature children of wrath, just as the others.
But God, who is rich in mercy, because of His great love with which He loved us, even when we were dead in trespasses, made us alive together with Christ (by grace you have been saved), and raised us up together, and made us sit together in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus, that in the ages to come He might show the exceeding riches of His grace in His kindness toward us in Christ Jesus." Ephesians 2:1-7

http://oribichan94.deviantart.com/
aliveinHim

Postby Sheenar » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:23 am

I have a bachelor of science in Animal Science. Currently working on M.S. in Agriculture.

I originally was an English major in college, but after a year and a half, I got really bored with just reading and writing --with no hands-on activities really at all. Did a brief stint with a minor in 3D art while majoring in English, but it stopped being fun to make art when I was forced to do so on a strict deadline.

I switched to Animal Science my sophmore year b/c I had always enjoyed working with animals and with my hands. Then I fell in love with the people in my dept. and in the ag community. So I decided to stick with it.

After I complete my M.S. degree (thesis option, so not sure how much longer it'll take), I hope to go on for my Ph.D. in Rural Sociology (or similar) and do a combo of teaching at the collegiate level and advocating for better services in rural communities.
"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." 2 Corinthians 4:16-18

"Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves."
Sheenar

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:57 am

Well, hopefully this year I'll be going to college to be a certified auto mechanic. An odd occupation for a girl, but it's certainly useful.
Shao Feng-Li

Postby ADXC » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:34 am

At my small Bible college, some of the female students go here to get their M.R.S. degree if you catch my drift. :P
ADXC

Postby Sheenar » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:01 am

ADXC (post: 1473267) wrote:At my small Bible college, some of the female students go here to get their M.R.S. degree if you catch my drift. :P

Yeah, that's why I tell people I'm getting my M.S. and not Mrs. LOL.

Though, if Mrs. comes along, that would be awesome. But that is not my main (or even secondary) agenda with going to college.
"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." 2 Corinthians 4:16-18

"Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves."
Sheenar

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:02 am

TheMewster (post: 1473192) wrote:I'm still not in college yet and don't know what I'll study. I want to be an artist, a missionary, or most likely, both. I also want to learn Biblical Greek, Hebrew, and Aramaic so what should I study and will these courses be offered at a secular college? I don't think I'll be doing good off on my own and there's no Christian colleges I know of near me. Thanks and God bless you!

Look into schools that have religion programs and you're bound to find classes with classical biblical languages, at the very least Greek. Especially if the school has things like theological or ministerial programs. And just as a forewarning, not every school with religious studies is necessarily a Christian university. Often yes, but I wouldn't consider Harvars Divinity School to be a Christian school... I think. XD But there are still buttloads of Christian schools that have what you probably want. I know that Peanut has been checking out some seminaries as of late and I'd bet that he has a lot of suggestions.
blkmage (post: 1473231) wrote:I'll be getting my bachelors in computer science and pure mathematics (finish last final today, wait two months, collect degree). In September, I'll be starting on my masters in theoretical computer science.

Pure mathematics, eh? Perhaps you're familiar with Wittgenstein? I *heart* him. But I don't think you would. XD
Mr. SmartyPants

Next

Return to General