Bakemonogatari ok?

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Bakemonogatari ok?

Postby TheMewster » Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:34 pm

I heard the OP Renai Circulation and was impressed with the song and the lyrics! So what I'd the show it comes from, Bakemonogatari, and what is it about. Also, any content I should watch out for? What age rating would you give it? Thanks and God bless you.
So the poor has hope, and injustice shuts her mouth. ~Job 5:16 WEB~
For you are my hope, Lord Yahweh; my confidence from my youth. ~Psalm 71:5 WEB~
TheMewster

Postby Atria35 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:52 pm

Hmm. Good question. I've heard rave things about it.

The girls he comes across are 'posessed' by different spirits that cause them problems and issues. He's basically trying to exorcize the spirits and help the girls. There is some violence, though it's not gorey. Can be a tad cringe-inducing, depending on whether you're sensitive to the pain or have issues with what's being used to cause the pain

[spoiler]For instance, in the first episode, he gets stapled in the mouth. Not gorey, not particularly violent, but it made me incomfortable because I have a fear of being stapled. Don't ask me why.[/spoiler]

It's definitely a teen rating.
Atria35

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:55 pm

If you watch the non-broadcast version, the content is pretty high. Aside from more fanservice, he gets in a fight where he's swung around by his own intestines.

It's a really solid show, but if you're worried about content it probably isn't the show for you.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby Midori » Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:17 pm

It is as Atria and Hat say. I thought it was an interesting, entertaining show, but it does have plenty of violence and sexuality, and some questionable spiritual issues. I'd rate it 17+, or maybe 15+, depending on how sensitive you are to all of these things. Basically, it's R-rated.

Also, I think a bit of knowledge of the Japanese language may be required to make sense of some of the magic.
Midori

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:39 pm

Here is a review that speaks about the content and quantifies it w/ an age rating, though I think it will just echo what has already been said.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby TheMewster » Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:35 pm

Yikes... swung around by your own intestines... no Bakemonogatari for TheMewster! I'll just stick with Azumanga Daioh for now. God bless you all! And thanks for going through the trouble to review it!
So the poor has hope, and injustice shuts her mouth. ~Job 5:16 WEB~
For you are my hope, Lord Yahweh; my confidence from my youth. ~Psalm 71:5 WEB~
TheMewster

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews