How did you grow up?

Talk about anything in here.

How did you grow up?

Postby CloudStrife911 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:54 am

Just curious on how people grew up (childhood) or are growing up.
CloudStrife911

Postby Xeno » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:20 am

Eh...I don't know if I can really vote on this one because my situation isn't really listed, and I'm not sure it could be. From ages 0-11 my mother was backslidden Pentecostal and my dad is a non-practicing Catholic. My only church experience during that time was when my mother's parents would take me to church. When I was 11 my mom got back into church and I started going with her, my dad is still non-practicing Catholic. I'm not really sure how to classify that kind of upbringing.

Not to mention, I'm also a military brat, so that adds a whole different dynamic as well.
Xeno

Postby Atria35 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:35 am

I'm not sure how I like the 'Un-Godly' label. That seems harsh and judgemental, and actually, I'm not sure what you mean by it. There's a lot of room for interpretation there. How can a family be Church-going but Un-Godly?

Besides, not all families that don't go to church are 'Un-Godly', as you would label it.

You should probably rewrite those to be
'Non-Christian', or find an appropriate adjective.
Atria35

Postby steenajack » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:06 am

I was raised in a Christian family, and we went to church since I was a youngling. We stopped going to church for awhile after certain circumstances, then we started kinda going again....I've recently been attending a Bible study at my college, which I really love. :D
Please, feel free to check out my sites:

My Deviant Art[/color]
MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!!!
My FictionPress[/color]
My tumblr[/color] Read...fave...reblog...repeat...
steenajack

Postby shooraijin » Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:02 am

Yeah, you're gonna need to change that one. That's getting a little iffy as a description. I changed it to non-Christian.
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby Seto_Sora » Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:17 am

Eh, well, I don't feel I could vote on this one as I think this particular question can't be summed into a pole. I mean, really, everyone of us have had our differences growing up. That is all part of the beautiful unique individuality with which God writes our life stories. One may be raised going to Church but themselves have no saving faith or else one may not go to a Church and be as true as Paul. Also, I've seen wide variations within say just one being labeled a "Pastor's Kid" from the rebel to the saint. As I see it, many don't actually identify themselves with how they grew up. Some don't find it relevant and others would prefer not to remember. I dunno, meybe I'm just speaking out of my own discomfiture with such sweeping generalizations given in the categories.

SDG
This

Seto_Sora

Postby Sapphire225 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:43 am

I grew up going to church, but personally I was a skeptic for some time. So, it is a little bit complicated.
"Because the World isn't as cruel as you take it to be." ~ Celty, Durarara!!

Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you."
~Deuteronomy 31:6

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We live in a fantasy world, a world of illusion. The great task in life is to find reality. ~ Iris Murdoch
Sapphire225

Postby CloudStrife911 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:51 pm

I said Un-Godly because it's the best adjective I could put for someone who goes to church but then leaves and then doesn't follow God. Most of my family falls into this category actually.
CloudStrife911

Postby mechana2015 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:54 pm

This doesn't apply to me, but shouldn't there be an option for non church attending christian families? I knew at least one of these when I was a kid.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby CloudStrife911 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:56 pm

mechana2015 (post: 1472635) wrote:This doesn't apply to me, but shouldn't there be an option for non church attending christian families? I knew at least one of these when I was a kid.

It wasn't meant to exclude them. I just didn't think of it at the time because I've never met anyone like that, so it didn't pop into my head I'm sorry. I would fix it, but I have no power to do so.
CloudStrife911

Postby Atria35 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:06 pm

CloudStrife911 (post: 1472634) wrote:I said Un-Godly because it's the best adjective I could put for someone who goes to church but then leaves and then doesn't follow God. Most of my family falls into this category actually.

Ah. The common term for that is 'backslid'.
Atria35

Postby Midori » Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:18 pm

I was born and raised in a Christian church and have never left it. I've always felt like people who were raised non-Christian and became Christian generally had stronger faith and more interesting testimonies, leading me to joke that maybe my life would be more interesting if I converted to Atheism for a few years and then back to Christianity. But of course, I'm not actually going to do that.
Midori

Postby TheMewster » Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:22 pm

Actually I was brought up a Christian but my family doesn't attend church and arent very religious like my grannies are. So what would that fall under? Thanks and God bless you all.
So the poor has hope, and injustice shuts her mouth. ~Job 5:16 WEB~
For you are my hope, Lord Yahweh; my confidence from my youth. ~Psalm 71:5 WEB~
TheMewster

Postby mysngoeshere56 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:30 pm

I don't think I can really vote in this one. I lived with people who were pretty much a mix of all those different groups. Some went to church, others didn't, and who I lived with changed every now and then.
-Sno
mysngoeshere56

Postby Okami » Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:34 pm

My parents allowed me to find my own religion, if I wanted it. So technically non-Christian.
~*~ Blessed to be Ryosuke's wife!
"We will be her church, the body of Christ coming alive to
meet her needs, to write love on her arms." ~ Jamie Tworkowski
Okami

Postby CloudStrife911 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:00 pm

Atria35 (post: 1472640) wrote:Ah. The common term for that is 'backslid'.

That is assuming that they were at one time following God. Although that is a category that those parents would fit under, I originally meant it for the people that go to church but haven't ever had never accepted Jesus into their lives. I know of several people like that at my home church and it breaks my heart that they come to church almost every Sunday and have yet to commit their lives to the Lord.
CloudStrife911

Postby Asuka Neko » Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:09 pm

I saw the words "how did you grow up?" and instantly thought "I haven't..."

That said, I come from a great Christian family which I am very blessed to have.
~My Website~
[color="Cyan"]"Have you ever gotten the urge to do something crazy... and AWESOME!?" -Demyx[/color]
Asuka Neko

Postby Dante » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:02 pm

Where is the slot for Christian non-church going family? That would be me.
Dante

Postby CloudStrife911 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:43 pm

Pascal (post: 1472713) wrote:Where is the slot for Christian non-church going family? That would be me.

I didn't think of it when I made it and now I don't have the power to change it.
CloudStrife911

Postby Nanao » Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:25 pm

Christian family, but we have gone to a lot of different churches.
[color="RoyalBlue"]My help comes from the Lord, maker of heaven and earth.[/color] Psalm 121:2
[color="Pink"]@)[/color][color="Green"]}~`,~[/color] Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.
Nanao

Postby Kaligraphic » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:38 am

I don't know if you would call it godly or ungodly. We were always lying, cheating, stealing, killing, and doing all manner of dastardly deeds, but on the other hand, we lived on Mount Olympus, had overthrown the titans, and drew strength from the worship of mortals.

Okay, okay, let me try again.

Very well, where do I begin? My father was a relentlessly self-improving boulangerie owner from Belgium with low grade narcolepsy and a penchant for buggery. My mother was a fifteen year old French prostitute named Chloe with webbed feet. My father would womanize, he would drink, he would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Some times he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy, the sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. My childhood was typical, summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When I was insolent I was placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds, pretty standard really. At the age of 12 I received my first scribe. At the age of fourteen, a Zoroastrian named Vilma introduced me to mecha anime. There really is nothing like giant fighting robots, they're breathtaking, I suggest you watch them.

What, seriously? Okay, I grew up Christian.
The cake used to be a lie like you, but then it took a portal to the deception core.
Kaligraphic

Postby Dante » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:04 am

" wrote:At the age of fourteen, a Zoroastrian named Vilma introduced me to mecha anime.

WAIT! Vilma the Zoroastrian!? I know that person! While the details of my life are inconsequential, at the age 14, Vilma performed some - err... ritualistic shaving on my head! That was before I went to Eeeevil medical school and got my doctorate in Eeeevil :P. Now... where are my deep fried disgruntled Sea Bass with lasers on their heads.
Dante

Postby Riggidig » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:16 am

I'm not sure how to respond to this post, seeing as one is not allowed to talk about theology in this section...
[color="Yellow"]My deviantART Gallery[/color]

[color="DarkOrange"][font="Century Gothic"]"Life is not about NOT getting hit. It's about learning to TAKE a hit, rolling with the punches, and at its worst, learning to get up after a knockout.[/font][/color]
Riggidig

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:29 am

Why all the labels, man...?
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby UniqueAngelStar » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:18 am

I grew up with my Christian parent. Therefore, I grew up with Christianity.
ImageImage
[color="DarkOrchid"]@)[/color][color="DarkGreen"]}~`,~[/color][color="DeepSkyBlue"] Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.[/color]
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]Proud member of[/color] MOES!
UniqueAngelStar

Postby fermy6 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:49 am

I dont know where to put mine either.....My parents aren't born again, but they were reallt into going to church when I was young and they are also very awesome and good moralled people.....I would say that even I as a born again believer am astonished at what wonderful poeple they are ( which adds to how much I want them to go to heaven)
If someone said 3 years from now
You'd be long gone
Id get up and punch their mouth
Cuz they're all wrong
I know better
Cuz you said forever
And ever
Who knew?
fermy6

Postby Mouse2010 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:23 pm

CloudStrife911 (post: 1472658) wrote: . . . I originally meant it for the people that go to church but haven't ever had never accepted Jesus into their lives. I know of several people like that at my home church and it breaks my heart that they come to church almost every Sunday and have yet to commit their lives to the Lord.

Say what? Look, since this isn't the theological discussion board, I'll just say "Luke 18:9-14" and leave it at that, okay?
Mouse2010

Postby Riggidig » Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:56 pm

Mouse2010 (post: 1473047) wrote:Say what? Look, since this isn't the theological discussion board, I'll just say "Luke 18:9-14" and leave it at that, okay?

I agree. This actually reminds me of something that happened to me a couple of years ago, but, since I can NOT talk about theology in here, it doesn't matter really...
[color="Yellow"]My deviantART Gallery[/color]

[color="DarkOrange"][font="Century Gothic"]"Life is not about NOT getting hit. It's about learning to TAKE a hit, rolling with the punches, and at its worst, learning to get up after a knockout.[/font][/color]
Riggidig

Postby shooraijin » Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:15 am

Given the concerns people have about the way this is divvied up, I think it would be better just to start over and I'm going to close this one down. CloudStrife911, if this is something you strongly feel you'd like to revisit, please bug one of the mods first with the breakdown before constructing the poll so that we don't have a repeat occurrence.
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Return to General