What denomination are you?

Talk about anything in here.

Postby acgifford » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:21 am

Non-Denominational.^^
[color="Lime"]"Do or do not, there is no try." Yoda[/color]
[color="DarkOrange"]Psalm32: 1 Blessed is he whose transgressions are forgiven, whose sins are covered.[/color]
Proud member of MOES!! You better believe I have no scrolling.^_~
[color="Blue"]Doctor Who fan!! [/color]:jump:
[color="Yellow"]"Dare to read, think, speak and write." John Adams[/color]
[color="Pink"]Proud Member of the SisterHoos! ^^[/color]
[color="Red"]Vash the Stampede: I meditate diligently every morning. The subject is Life and Love. I quit after three seconds.[/color]
acgifford

Postby ShiroiHikari » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:16 am

Midori (post: 1472505) wrote:Church of the Nazarene (hence my zeal to differentiate "Nazarene" from "Nazarite"...though I do have long hair and hate wine...)

I was raised in the Church of the Nazarene but nowadays I don't identify with any particular denomination.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:41 am

No reformed denominations? I feel left out.

I'll pick "other." Presbyterian.
Shao Feng-Li

Postby Tancos » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:30 am

(Never mind -- wrong thread)
Tancos

Postby shooraijin » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:54 am

It's like carnivorous Adventism, basically!

I have many Adventist friends (who describe themselves as "Badventists") and they thought your description was hilarious. :)
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby Agloval » Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:31 am

Currently I attend my local Anglican parish church (where I grew up, and where I'm on the electoral roll). On the other hand one of my parents was a Baptist, and the other was URC (a vaguely Presbyterian English group), and I suspect both would say they attend our church because of its specific position rather than because it's an Anglican church. And when I was at university I split my time between a Baptist church and evensong at St Paul's Cathedral (I happen to like choral music, thank you very much).

So I put myself down as 'other'. Possibly 'confused' or 'not bothered' would also work :)
'That blast is blown for me, for I am the prize, and yet am I not dead.'
Agloval

Postby Roy Mustang » Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:37 am

A Catholic that goes to a Non-Denominational church, since I got married.

I still hold the Catholic beliefs and are very dear to me, but deep down, I believe that no matter what denomination that you are, we are all Christians and should be untied as one.
Roy Mustang

Postby Sapphire225 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:40 am

I'm non-denominational, despite my most of my family being baptist.
"Because the World isn't as cruel as you take it to be." ~ Celty, Durarara!!

Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you."
~Deuteronomy 31:6

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We live in a fantasy world, a world of illusion. The great task in life is to find reality. ~ Iris Murdoch
Sapphire225

Postby TopazRaven » Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:42 am

I attend a Methodist church, but I don't really think denominations are that important. It's the church I went to as a kid before I stopped goinG so i just figured I'd give it another shot.
For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

NIV, Romans 8:38-39.
TopazRaven

Postby TheMewster » Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:25 pm

I refuse to be associated with any denomination due to the fighting. Could go on all day about it but it would derail the topic. :(
So the poor has hope, and injustice shuts her mouth. ~Job 5:16 WEB~
For you are my hope, Lord Yahweh; my confidence from my youth. ~Psalm 71:5 WEB~
TheMewster

Postby CloudStrife911 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:02 pm

The reason I support the idea of having a denomination for a church is so if a preacher starts to preach heresy then they have someone above him to make sure he doesn't lead people astray. Other than that personally I think they are all just more or less just for the organizational part of running churches.
CloudStrife911

Postby CloudStrife911 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:05 pm

Shao Feng-Li (post: 1472594) wrote:No reformed denominations? I feel left out.

I'll pick "other." Presbyterian.

I'm sorry honestly I thought I did put that one. I wish I was able to go and modify it after it's been posted! I'd totally fix it for ya.
CloudStrife911

Postby Edward » Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:17 pm

mysngoeshere56 (post: 1472511) wrote:I'm currently attending an Assemblies of God church, but I personally don't claim any particular denomination.

This pretty much describes my current situation. I just consider myself a Christian, not any specific denomination.
[thread=43825]MOES[/thread] One sig to rule them all. One sig to find them. One sig to bring them all, and in 250 px or less bind them. In the land of Mordor, where the sigs do not scroll.

Real men don't sparkle, real men defeat dark wizards.

"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."

chatbot 07:24 - Edward asks, do you ever give relevant answers chatty?
My answer: No
Edward

Postby mechana2015 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:27 pm

I started out at a non-denominational church, but I currently attend a Methodist church. I ascribe no label to myself though so I set it to 'other'.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby Atria35 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:37 pm

CloudStrife911 (post: 1472660) wrote:The reason I support the idea of having a denomination for a church is so if a preacher starts to preach heresy then they have someone above him to make sure he doesn't lead people astray. Other than that personally I think they are all just more or less just for the organizational part of running churches.

The thing about this statement is that what one denomination considers heresy another may take as doctrine. Think about how the Catholic Church in general considers Protestantism, and vice-versa.
Atria35

Postby Yamamaya » Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:01 pm

Davidizer13 (post: 1472501) wrote:I'm Church of God 7th Day - we're...well, we're weird. The denomination split off from the Adventists, took some Millerite/Jehovah's Witness theology with it, and somehow, the movement kinda became weeaboo for Jewish things. Most members avoid pork and shellfish, and a few even keep feast days (mostly just Feast of Tabernacles, it would seem, because at its heart, it's a camping trip). It's like carnivorous Adventism, basically!

Also, everyone is related to everyone else, somehow, or is about to become that way. Hilarity commonly ensues at summer camps when people find out that cute girl/boy they like is their distant cousin.

They're called Episcopalian in the US. Don't ask me why.

You're the strange rebels that broke off from the rest of us..I'm a Seventh Day Adventist.:thumb::lol:

SDA isn't really all that weeaboo for Jewish things, save for the whole don't eat unclean meat thing, but that's more inspired from our health message than from Judaism.

In addition, we're the only denomination I know of that encourages vegetarianism.

I don't agree with everything that my church teaches so I tend to just call myself a Christian in ordinary conversation unless someone asks me specifically what my denomination is.
Yamamaya

Postby aliveinHim » Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:24 pm

I'm baptist! And I don't dance (breaks out into Caramelldansen).
"And you He made alive, who were dead in trespasses and sins, in which you once walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit who now works in the sons of disobedience, among whom also we all once conducted ourselves in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind, and were by nature children of wrath, just as the others.
But God, who is rich in mercy, because of His great love with which He loved us, even when we were dead in trespasses, made us alive together with Christ (by grace you have been saved), and raised us up together, and made us sit together in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus, that in the ages to come He might show the exceeding riches of His grace in His kindness toward us in Christ Jesus." Ephesians 2:1-7

http://oribichan94.deviantart.com/
aliveinHim

Postby CloudStrife911 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:51 pm

Atria35 (post: 1472668) wrote:The thing about this statement is that what one denomination considers heresy another may take as doctrine. Think about how the Catholic Church in general considers Protestantism, and vice-versa.

Yes, that's very true, but there are things like for instance Jesus came to earth fully man fully God died for our sins and rose again. That's the thing that I'd be worried about people messing with. If people were to start to alter that then I'd be worried.
CloudStrife911

Postby Xeno » Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:55 pm

I feel like this thread is starting to teeter on that fine line it's been walking.

Yamamaya (post: 1472678) wrote:I don't agree with everything that my church teaches so I tend to just call myself a Christian in ordinary conversation unless someone asks me specifically what my denomination is.

I do pretty much the same thing. I believe what my church teaches (unless it's political, in which case I have my own views and opinions) but when people ask what my religion is I tell them I'm a Christian. I only specify beyond that if I'm asked exactly what kind.
Xeno

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:02 pm

CloudStrife911 (post: 1472660) wrote:The reason I support the idea of having a denomination for a church is so if a preacher starts to preach heresy then they have someone above him to make sure he doesn't lead people astray. Other than that personally I think they are all just more or less just for the organizational part of running churches.

Denominations, they're just kind of an unavoidable result of each group thinking they've got it right. An Anabaptist would never join Presbyterians, a Presbyterian would never join with Episcopal, etc. They're almost foundationaly different. So therefore, denominations and independent churches (non denominationals that seem to always be some kind of Baptist- or as Tim Hawkins put it "Baptist with a cool website" XD).
Shao Feng-Li

Postby ADXC » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:10 pm

Remember, let's keep away from debates.
ADXC

Postby Vega » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:15 pm

I was raised Pentacostal but I left my parents church and began attending a non-denominational church.
The mind is so complex when your based. 32 levels. Welcome to my world. --Lil B
I'm not guna let anything take the love from my heart, the love of life and spreading peace and positive, thank you earth I'm alive. --Lil B
Swag like I'm marrow, in my bones. Swag in my bones. Bone Marrow Swag. -- Lil B
Shouts out to Lil B "The Based God".
Vega

Postby armeck » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:31 pm

i like to call myself "un-denominational" maybe that is not the correct word. but i just believe in Jesus and don't want extra labels, and since non-denominational has sorda become a denomination in itself.... i'll just go with "other"
Just some punk kid that likes techno music
armeck

Postby TopazRaven » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:45 pm

It kind of makes me laugh that non-denomination is now pretty much a denomination in itself.
For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

NIV, Romans 8:38-39.
TopazRaven

Postby Nanao » Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:20 pm

TopazRaven (post: 1472743) wrote:It kind of makes me laugh that non-denomination is now pretty much a denomination in itself.

Ditto.

I don't associate myself with any denomination. Here, I picked non-denominational because it seemed like the best option. I tend to avoid using the term though.
[color="RoyalBlue"]My help comes from the Lord, maker of heaven and earth.[/color] Psalm 121:2
[color="Pink"]@)[/color][color="Green"]}~`,~[/color] Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.
Nanao

Postby Atria35 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:31 pm

CloudStrife911 (post: 1472706) wrote:Yes, that's very true, but there are things like for instance Jesus came to earth fully man fully God died for our sins and rose again. That's the thing that I'd be worried about people messing with. If people were to start to alter that then I'd be worried.

*hesitates* The only thing that all Christian churches can really agree on is that Christ died on the cross for our sins. Even the Trinity is debated hotly today. So.....yeah. That's why it's so easy for denominations to spring up and to have schisms. And why non-denominational seems to bring more people together.
Atria35

Postby shooraijin » Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:33 pm

Atria35 said it very well, and I don't think we need go into further detail on it in the General forum.
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Previous

Return to General