Your favorite places in the world?

Talk about anything in here.

Your favorite places in the world?

Postby solidray2002 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:13 am

I wanted to find out from those who have left their country, where have you been in the world and where were your favorite places? Was it the geography, the culture or an experience?
"To live is Christ, to die is gain" Philippians 1:21
solidray2002

Postby Atria35 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:22 am

I've only been to England and Paris, France.

So far, Bath was the best of it all. The buildings were beautiful, the history just fabulous, and if I had the time to visit them, I could have relaxed in HOT SPRINGS!
Atria35

Postby solidray2002 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:30 am

Well of the places I've been, I have to be biased to Portugal (as I am portuguese), but also loved the land and people of Romania (specifically in translyvania) and the culture and mountains in Peru, Incredible in the north (of course they don't beat the Rocky Mountains, Cough Cough).

For the Motherland: http://www.destination360.com/europe/portugal/porto

Cajamarca Peru: http://www.livinginperu.com/blogs/travel/740
"To live is Christ, to die is gain" Philippians 1:21
solidray2002

Postby Agloval » Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:12 am

If we're restricted to places outside our home countries, then I have particularly fond memories of Pelion, a mountainous peninsula in mainland Greece. The villages there have their own slightly distinctive architecture, and are linked by a network of narrow, cobbled country paths which means you can walk between a good number of them without getting near the road. Besides which by upbringing I'm a massive Hellenophile, but that's not something connected to Pelion especially. (I'd like to witter on about several other places in Greece -- Athens, of course, the Meteora, Lamia, Ten Saints in Crete, and so on, but Pelion was the first that came to mind.)
'That blast is blown for me, for I am the prize, and yet am I not dead.'
Agloval

Postby armeck » Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:07 pm

Seattle is my favorite place in the world probably
Just some punk kid that likes techno music
armeck

Postby Nanao » Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:39 pm

For culture and experience, I'd have to say that my favourite place in the world is Japan. I really enjoyed the culture and interacting with the people. There is so much history there too. For geography, I'd have to say either the Swiss or Bavarian Alps. The pictures really don't do the Alps justice. They are stunningly beautiful.
[color="RoyalBlue"]My help comes from the Lord, maker of heaven and earth.[/color] Psalm 121:2
[color="Pink"]@)[/color][color="Green"]}~`,~[/color] Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.
Nanao

Postby Yuki-Anne » Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:39 pm

1. Albuquerque, New Mexico. I love the mountains, I love the food, I love the varying and rich culture, and I love the people. I miss it, and I wish it still felt like home to me, but since my parents moved, it doesn't feel so home-like. But I still love it.

2. Nikko, Japan. I love the mountains, I love the culture, I love the architecture, I love the food, and I love the people. I teach there every week, and it is beautiful. It's a ghost town now because nobody wants to come to Japan as a tourist. I worry so much for Nikko, because tourism is a big industry there. I don't want to see main street with all of its shops closed down. :/

3. Tokyo! I love the atmosphere, the energy, I love the buildings and the food, I love the public transportation system and how convenient it is, I love the people I've met there, I even love the massive crowds. I think I love it just because it's Tokyo.

4. Southern California, Los Angeles area. I love the weather, I love the churches, I love the variety of people, and I love Yogurtland. And Disneyland. And all the other -lands in California. I love the beaches and the lush plants everywhere. I also love the redwood forests in the more northern areas. I think if I don't live in Japan for the rest of my life, I might try to live in California.
New and improved Yuki-Anne: now with blog: http://anneinjapan.blog.com
Yuki-Anne

Postby TheMewster » Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:45 pm

I havent been out of my country, but I've met so many people from other countries here, so CAA is my favorite place in the world.
So the poor has hope, and injustice shuts her mouth. ~Job 5:16 WEB~
For you are my hope, Lord Yahweh; my confidence from my youth. ~Psalm 71:5 WEB~
TheMewster

Postby Ally-Ann » Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:03 pm

Hmm. My favorite place would have to be northern Michigan where we own a farm. Even though I absolutely hate the cold, I still love it there. It's a really small village type of town and I've gone there every 1-3 years of my life since I was born. That is my true home.

As for different countries I've been to, I've been to Germany (I lived there for 18 months), France, Belgium, and I think we drove through Austria for a few minutes.

And for different states, Virginia (I live there now. I won't say where.), Georgia, Florida, Ohio, Maryland, California, Pennsylvania, North Carolina, and South Carolina.
[color="Lime"]My Fictionpress account[/color]! http://www.fictionpress.com/u/740837/Ally-Ann

[color="Yellow"]My Fanfiction account[/color]! http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2401061/ArmyAngel316

My nicknames! [color="Pink"]~*[/color][color="palegreen"]Ally[/color][color="pink"]*~[/color] [color="white"](>[/color][color="Cyan"]Mochi-chan[/color][color="White"]<)[/color]

I like mochi. ^^

I question my [color="DarkOrchid"]sanity[/color]. (._.)

Operation: Blackout
Ally-Ann

Postby Davidizer13 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:26 pm

TheMewster (post: 1471184) wrote:CAA is my favorite place in the world.

You like Mith's basement server farm more than anywhere else on the earth? No offense or anything, but that's kinda sad.

I haven't left my home country yet, but fortunately, the US is a big place.

My favorite place in the world (so far) is probably Sis-Q Meadows, this camp in the southwest corner of Oregon. The place itself isn't much to look at, but the area around it is a different story. This river bends around it and makes a great swimming hole not too far from the camp. I've only been there in the summer, and even though it's hot and dry, it's not really uncomfortable. On a clear day, you can just barely see Mt. Shasta, and up in the hills to its west, there are fields of cobra lilies - they're this carnivorous plant that you can only find in a few patches across that area. What's more, it's near the Josephine ophiolite, so there's cool rocks like serpentinite and gabbro scattered around. Maybe it's just because it's got some spiritual meaning to me (it's where I first felt God and where I was baptized), but it's a beautiful place nonetheless.

Another great place is around Lake Wenatchee, in north central Washington. It's been compared to the Alps, and with good reason - one of the main roads through the area goes through this huge glacial valley with a rapids in the bottom. There's tons of thick forests and hills, with a few scattered lakes and trails, and great places for garnets and tourmaline. Sure, Leavenworth is one of the tackiest place I've been to (they're trying so hard to be quaint!), but the area around it can't be faulted.

As for more urban areas, Washington D.C. is really fun. It's easy to get around it on the subway, the best attractions are free, and it just has this different feel from any other place I've been to. There's all sorts of great places off the beaten path, like the FDR Memorial (on the Potomac, between the Jefferson and Washington Memorials), Ford's Theatre (east of the White House) or the Postal Museum (near Union Station). Someday I'd like to go there and just explore; when I went there with my family a few years back, we were rushing around to see everything and missed some stuff, so it would probably be cool to take things a bit easier.
We are loved even though we suck.

Psalms 37:37 (NHEB)
Mark the perfect man, and see the upright, for there is a future for the man of peace.
Davidizer13

Postby ChristianKitsune » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:15 pm

I haven't been outside America yet, but I have been to a few places around the country ^_^

I LOVE The Arizona Mountains and the Grand Canyon, especially a little town called Jerome, Arizona. It's an art community and it's literally built on the side of a mountain. SO gorgeous! *D*

I also really liked Daytona, Florida (Nascar fan, obvious reasons there... X3 )

I visited St. Louis and I thought it was fabulous. We didn't have a vehicle and had to ride the subway and walk everywhere so I got a good look at the Arch. *D* The food was really great too! ^_^

I also really love Washington DC, especially the Mall (historical strip, not shopping center X3) and the Smithsonian museums.

But honestly, I love here in KS...it's strange because it's kind of not very busy, but it's peaceful, and the people are friendly and the churches here are great. The closest "Booming" city is probably 4 hours away in Kansas City, and my area is kind of flat. But I dunno, seeing the sunset and the stars are somethings I think I always miss when I travel.

Even when I visit my family, I miss this town where I go to school. So for now, THIS place is my favorite. :3
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
Web-Manga Hosted by: The Project
ChristianKitsune

Location: In my sketchbook of wonderment and puffy pink clouds! *\^o^/*

Postby Maledicte » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:46 am

I love So Cal. Didn't realize I did until lately. I love living in a valley with hills and mountains on every side, especially after it snows. They look spectacular in the sunset. I love driving uncrowded freeways (rare, I know) and long windy side-streets that curve around hills. I love being within driving distance of museums, galleries, theaters, zoos, and theme parks. And, of course, I love In-n-Out.

Surprisingly, I enjoyed San Francisco - maybe because it was uncommonly warm and not windy the last time I visited. Walking around the city by foot was a wonderful experience, and insider hint - you can snag a ride on the Art Academy shuttle line, they don't check for student IDs. (And, thankfully, SF *also* has In-n-Out!)

I've also really enjoyed Washington DC, with all its history and culture, and British Columbia in the summer, especially if the dragon boat festival is on.
Maledicte

Postby fermy6 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:11 am

My favourite place in the world....hmmmm.......KFC
If someone said 3 years from now
You'd be long gone
Id get up and punch their mouth
Cuz they're all wrong
I know better
Cuz you said forever
And ever
Who knew?
fermy6

Postby KhakiBlueSocks » Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:18 pm

Because I'm not as well traveled, my favorite places may seem a little mundane, but you asked...

Houston, Texas - I went there last year, and I've all but reserved a hotel room for me to go back. It's such a big city with so many things to do and see; I wish I had an extra set of eyes to see it all, and I wish I had taken more pictures and video than I did. I loved going out to the Johnson Space Center and seeing the large Saturn Five rocket and the real Mission Control. I was taken aback going into Frys Electronics and seeing this humongous store decked out like the International Space Center. And don't get me started with that monstrous Galleria. I lost my poor Jiro in the parking lot for the better part of an HOUR; how was I supposed to know there were 2 1/2 parking levels and I had to memorize the letter, number AND color of the section I parked in?! In any case, the next time I go, I HAVE to go inside Minute Maid Park and check out a ball game! The building is so beautiful on the outside, I can only imagine how the inside looks. I also wanna look around Discovery Green a bit more too; that park is just so big and there was so much I wanted to really check out, but I had to get back home to Baton Rouge. Also, I love the public transportation; the MetroRail is like nothing I've ever ridden on before. While to some it may seem funny, I find it amazing that you can go from one end of town to the other that fast for only about one or two bucks!

Hammond, LA -- It's a small little town about forty-five minutes away from Baton Rouge, but it has a lot of charm. You can walk just about everywhere, the rail yard is old, yet functional and beautiful to photograph, and whenever there's a festival, you can just park your car on the street and walk through the town.
Joshua: Hebrew -The LORD is Salvation

" wrote:RustyClaymore 11:27 - Ah yes, Socks is the single raindrop responsible for the flood. XD

Check out my new anime review blog, "The Cajun Samurai"

http://thecajunsamurai.wordpress.com/
KhakiBlueSocks

Postby Yamamaya » Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:31 pm

Mordor is the best place ever.
Yamamaya

Postby Atria35 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:57 pm

Yamamaya (post: 1471801) wrote:Mordor is the best place ever.

/end thread

Actually, my vote would go to Hobbiton.
Atria35

Postby denimwriter » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:04 pm

i've been to Hong Kong! It was my first time out of the country and it was so fun!

I had never been on a plane.
I had never been on a sub-way train.
I had never been out of the country.
I had never been on a normal train.
I had never been in a taxi.
...Until I went to HK!
denimwriter

Postby TheMewster » Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:38 am

Davidizer13 (post: 1471206) wrote:You like Mith's basement server farm more than anywhere else on the earth? No offense or anything, but that's kinda sad.

No, I like CAA's wonderful community. Not Mith's basement.

fermy6 (post: 1471310) wrote:My favourite place in the world....hmmmm.......KFC

THAT is my third favorite. My second favorite is my church.

Oh, and I finally got the hang of multi-quoting (though I still can't do it on my phone which I normally post here on. :waah!:)
So the poor has hope, and injustice shuts her mouth. ~Job 5:16 WEB~
For you are my hope, Lord Yahweh; my confidence from my youth. ~Psalm 71:5 WEB~
TheMewster

Return to General