"Starter" anime

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

"Starter" anime

Postby Winry » Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:30 pm

Just curious what would you all usually recommend as a good "starter" anime for someone who has never seen anime before. I'm sure it usually depends on the person, but just generally what do you recommend.

Not sure if there is a thread on this already or not...
"My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." 2 Corinthians 12:9

Phantom_Sorano 12:29 - Congrats Winry, you are the first CAA Chat Survivor.
Winry

Postby TopazRaven » Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:38 pm

I'm not sure I can give good advice here, but the series that got me into anime was Trigun. I was up late one night and happened to catch the first episode on Adult Swim and it blew me away. Soon after that I started watching Wolf's Rain and InuYasha as they where on the same channel. Then came Naruto (though I wouldn't really recommand this one, I like it, but it can get tiring and isn't the best anime out there) and Fruit's Basket (this one I would SO recommend.)
For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

NIV, Romans 8:38-39.
TopazRaven

Postby Atria35 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:43 pm

A lot of people got started on Cowboy Bebop when it was airing on CN. It's episodic, has great characters, action, etc. It's definitely not for everyone (took me 3 episodes to get into it), but when I did, I was in for a ride!

For a person who's more into light stuff, you can't go wrong with Miyazaki. Spirited Away enthralled me when I first saw it. Beautiful animation, strong heroines, well-told stories, it's hard to miss with it!
Atria35

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:44 pm

Here are some very general recommendations. Depending on a person's age, gender, other interests, etc. I might have one or two more.

I think a movie or short OAV is probably best for the uninitiated. It's not as much of a time commitment and may give you some indicators of where to go from there.

Miyazaki is always a good choice for a first-timer. Princess Mononoke or The Castle of Cagliostro come to mind, but, really, as long as you don't show Howl's you'll be pretty safe.

For something a bit newer try one of Hosada's big two The Girl Who Leapt Through Time or Summer Wars. Both are excellent films, some of the best stuff anime has to offer.

If your guinea pig is an action fan, Sword of the Stranger is total catnip. Does s/he like to feel sad? 5 Centimeters Per Second. More of an art-house kinda person? Throw a Satoshi Kon movie like Millennium Actress at 'em.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby ChristianKitsune » Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:44 pm

I second the Fruits Basket notion. Every "new" anime fan I've ever showed it too LOVED IT

Also I'd recommend Hayao Miyazaki movies (especially if you know any art majors, people can't really deny the artistry in the movies, even if the storylines aren't as strong)

Depending on who you're showing it to, Cowboy Bepop is something even non-anime fans have expressed an interest in.

And Then I'd recommend Full Metal Alchemist.

If all else fails, do what I did when I got my older sister into anime: BRIBERY!

EDIT: XD the two posters before beat me to the punch, I'd second the Summer Wars or The Girl who Leapt Through Time. \^o^/ Only, I've had people who LOVED Howl's Moving Castle, so It's really up to the individual there...
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
Web-Manga Hosted by: The Project
ChristianKitsune

Location: In my sketchbook of wonderment and puffy pink clouds! *\^o^/*

Postby Agloval » Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:27 pm

I'm a little wary of the idea, in that I feel slightly dishonest giving someone something atypically good (rather than, say, a filler episode from your endless shounen action saga of choice).

As you say, it depends on the person. If we have to speak just generally, though, although it might be narcissistic, I'd show them something good that I really like. Like Giant Robo or LotGH: Overture to a New War or Ghost in the Shell or even Armour Hunter Mellowlink. Because then I could try to convey why I like it, whatever they think of it. With a title like Cowboy Bebop, which is good but I don't really feel much of a connection with, I fear I wouldn't be a good advocate.

But that's why the job of introducing people to anime should be given to people who are less self-absorbed than I am. So yeah, Miyazaki or some other short, well-made titles.
'That blast is blown for me, for I am the prize, and yet am I not dead.'
Agloval

Postby Ally-Ann » Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:55 pm

The first anime that I actually stuck with and kept watching was Hamtaro, but I was only 5. :P The first teen-ish anime I saw was Shugo Chara. Then came Azu Manga Daioh. Then Earl and Fairy. Then Hetalia: Axis Powers.... I haven't seen some of the most popular anime, though, like Fruits Basket and stuff like that.
[color="Lime"]My Fictionpress account[/color]! http://www.fictionpress.com/u/740837/Ally-Ann

[color="Yellow"]My Fanfiction account[/color]! http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2401061/ArmyAngel316

My nicknames! [color="Pink"]~*[/color][color="palegreen"]Ally[/color][color="pink"]*~[/color] [color="white"](>[/color][color="Cyan"]Mochi-chan[/color][color="White"]<)[/color]

I like mochi. ^^

I question my [color="DarkOrchid"]sanity[/color]. (._.)

Operation: Blackout
Ally-Ann

Postby Tsukuyomi » Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:03 pm

Fruits Basket is a good one :) Lots of light heartedness, but yet there's still a deep story behind it ^^

I've been watching anime from an early age (just didn't know it at that time lol), but the series that really got me inot anime was Sailor Moon ^^
Tsukuyomi

Location: I am a figment of your imagination... I live only in your dreams... I haunt you ~(O_O)~

Postby rocklobster » Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:50 pm

I say try to see what kind of story you like best, and then pick an anime that matches it.
For sci-fi fans: Cowboy Bebop, Captain Harlock, any giant robot show
For mystery fans: Case Closed
For horror fans: Blood+, Trinity Blood, Boogiepop Phantom
For westerns: Trigun
For slice-of-life: Azumanga Daioh, Haibane Renmei, Beck: Mongolian Chop Squad
For fantasy: Inuyasha, Record of Lodoss War, Haibane Renmei, .hack//sign
For romance: Tenchi Muyo, Spice and Wolf
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby TWWK » Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:12 am

I want to second the recommendations for the Hosada movies. These are probably the best "starter" anime I've seen. They're very appealing to western audiences and don't contain any of the very foreign elements in anime that we fans take for granted. They also contain loveable characters, rich animation, and moving storylines. My wife, who is not an anime fans, enjoyed both films, along with most of Miyazaki's works.
Beneath the Tangles: Where Manga Meets the Maker

In the colors of Your goodness/In the scars that mark your skin/In the currency of Grace/Is where my song begins
~ "Economy of Mercy," Switchfoot
TWWK

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:49 am

I would like to advertise the first episode of the restarted podcast, which specifically deals with this subject. Also, seconding Hosoda's stuff because it's awesome.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby Sapphire225 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:32 am

It depends for the age group and the interests of the person.

Fantasy Fans: Spirited Away, The Cat Returns, ARIA,

Action/Adventure Fans: Black Cat, Fullmetal Alchemist (moreso Brotherhood, but the first anime as well)

Drama Fans (Also may depend on gender preferences): Clannad, Nana, Fruit Baskets

Horror: Boogiepop Phantom, Paranoia Agent, Hellsing (for Action/Horror)

Comedy: Azumanga Daioh, Ouran High School Host Club, School Rumble

Western themes: Cowboy Bebop (a must watch for almost any adult anime fan), Trigun

Mecha Fans: Gundam Wing first before showing them the other series.

Children: Bottle Fairy, Pokemon, Ponyo
"Because the World isn't as cruel as you take it to be." ~ Celty, Durarara!!

Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you."
~Deuteronomy 31:6

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We live in a fantasy world, a world of illusion. The great task in life is to find reality. ~ Iris Murdoch
Sapphire225

Postby Tancos » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:18 pm

I discussed a similar question on my weblog some time back:

[INDENT]Steven’s challenge: Six episodes, plus maybe one extra, for your sampler disk to a newbie with the intent of getting him interested in the form.

I would tailor the sampler to the particular recipient. My friend Bill would probably be most interested in series with distinctive art, so for him I would choose such shows as Mononoke and Kaiba. John would be more intrigued by complex stories such as Serial Experiments Lain. Deborah has a taste for grand fantasies, so perhaps the Ah! My Goddess movie would appeal to her. And so on.

For a potential anime fan whom I don’t know, the following might might constitute a decent introduction to the charms and range of the medium.

Angelic Layer, episode one — Cute kids, dolls, fighting, high tech, problem families.

Azumanga Daioh, episode twelve — More cute kids, high school, sentimental comedy. (Better this Chiyo-centric episode for starters than the first, which has too much Tomo.)

Dennou Coil, episode one — Not-so-cute but very three-dimensional kids, affinities with both Miyazaki and Ghost in the Shell, high tech, mystery, humor. It also illustrates the shortcomings of the licensing non-system: it’s one of the best shows of recent years, yet it may never be legally available in region one.

Mushishi, episode one — For sheer strangeness.

Paranoia Agent, episode eight — For the exceedingly dark humor. (Kon’s series is for college-age or older viewers only. If the prospective fan is a youngster, substitute an episode from your favorite comedy.)

Seirei no Moribito, episode one — Fantasy adventure, court intrigue, a strong female lead, outstanding animation.

As an extra, I’d include a CD of music from Cowboy Bebop.

It’s impossible to represent all the salient aspects of anime with just six examples — there are no magical girl or space war shows listed above, for example — but these might give the viewer some vague idea what anime is capable of.[/INDENT]
Tancos

Postby ich1990 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:41 pm

I agree with TSD, movies are the way to go. Westerners are used to watching movies and are used to watching animated movies at that. If you are lucky enough to have Sword of the Stranger, 5cm Per Second, The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, Paprika, and The Castle of Cagliostro sitting around, you have all the tools you need to pique the interest of anyone.
Where an Eidolon, named night, on a black throne reigns upright.
ich1990

Postby rocklobster » Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:50 pm

I wouldn't recommend Excel Saga, Sapphire. It requires too much anime knowledge.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Nanao » Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:03 pm

Echoing what a few others have said, it depends on the person. Miyazaki was what first got me interested in anime. I'd recommend some of the "newer" movies though as opposed to the older ones. Spirited Away is a great starter. My sister got into anime watching the early bleach arcs. Fullmetal Alchemist is a great starter in my opinion. I've got a couple of friends into anime with that one. I could go on, but most of what I'd recommend has been said already ^___^
[color="RoyalBlue"]My help comes from the Lord, maker of heaven and earth.[/color] Psalm 121:2
[color="Pink"]@)[/color][color="Green"]}~`,~[/color] Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.
Nanao

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:03 pm

ich1990 (post: 1470985) wrote:Paprika
That is a pretty bad idea. Paprika is a good movie but it's a really weird movie and isn't good introductory material to say "This is anime".

This is actually a part where you need to ask not only what genres they're into, but what kind of storytelling they're into. For instance, I got into anime because the idea of television shows that had lengthy plots and weren't episodic was foreign to me, but it was an idea I liked. Even though there are shows over here like Lost that work the same way, anime uses it much more exclusively than American television. If so, I might recommend Baccano! if they can deal with the content.

On the other hand, if they're pretty into movies, you might be more inclined to show them stuff like anything Hosoda's made or 5 Centimeters per Second.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby Rusty Claymore » Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:48 pm

I'd suggest School Rumble, but Anime has been a part of me so long that I don't remember what it's like to be new to it. XD
Proverbs 31:32 "...when she watches anime, she keeps the room well lit and sits at a safe distance."
Rusty Claymore

Postby Winry » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:01 pm

Lots of good answers here. I have introduced a few people to anime over the years, and I always think it is hardest to pick the first one, especially for those who are really skeptical. I will keep some of these suggestions in mind for the future =)

Nobody here has mentioned it yet, but I have found Ouran Host Club seems to be a pretty good one to start off with (as long as you warn people about of the couple little "weird" parts in advance.) After reading the suggestions, I think I actually need to watch more Miyazaki movies =)
"My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." 2 Corinthians 12:9

Winry

Postby Maledicte » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:09 am

I got a friend into anime through Princess Tutu. It really depends on what the person in question likes. This friend of mine loves western fairy tales and is a Disney fan, so PT was a good fit.
Maledicte

Postby Sapphire225 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:01 am

rocklobster (post: 1470987) wrote:I wouldn't recommend Excel Saga, Sapphire. It requires too much anime knowledge.

Good point. Parodies usually have a ton of other series references. Replaced it with school Rumble.
"Because the World isn't as cruel as you take it to be." ~ Celty, Durarara!!

Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you."
~Deuteronomy 31:6

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We live in a fantasy world, a world of illusion. The great task in life is to find reality. ~ Iris Murdoch
Sapphire225

Postby mechana2015 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:28 am

I actually disagree with school rumble as well. It relies pretty heavily on established anime steriotypes and japanese culture references for a lot of the episodes, things that non anime fans havn't really been introduced to yet. If I was introducing people I'd try for shows that arn't set in Japan first just to ease them into the animation style and storytelling method before they have to deal with the cultural variations.

That's why I prefer shows like Cowboy Bebop, Baccano, Trigun and Princess Tutu for this sort of thing.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:51 am

You could show Disney fans Kure-nai since it has a musical, right?
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby ShiroiHikari » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:14 pm

Sailor Moon was my starter and I think it's a pretty good one, though most people would probably consider it "old" now (which seems ridiculous to me, but whatever).

Also part of the reason I got into anime was BECAUSE of Japanese culture references, so I don't get why you guys are all "no this is too Japanese to be a good starter anime". That's like saying [insert name of Hollywood movie here] is "too American" to be a good introduction to American cinema.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:19 pm

Like, Bakemonogatari would be a terrible starter anime because a lot of it has to do with Japanese culture and wordplay. When Senjougahara says "Tsundere mode" and then says an appropriately tsundereish line, they aren't going to understand that unless they've been into anime for a while.

I'm not saying that you have to show them some completely non-Japanese seeming anime to get them into it, but there's some shows like Ouran or the aforementioned Bakemonogatari that aren't accessible to any shmoe that you want to get into anime.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:24 pm

Just for the sake of discussion, I'll throw this out there: I don't think TV series are good for anime introductions.

Does that mean that I don't think anyone has ever or will ever become a fan after watching (insert name of TV show here)? No. I got into anime via Dragonball Z. My brother got into it through Trigun.

So, what am I trying to say? I think that showing someone a film or short OVA has a greater chance of success in terms of generating interest in anime from an average person. We want to ease them in, presenting a new and authentic anime experience while allowing them to "keep one hand on the boat," so to speak.

As ich pointed out, the way that adults are most used to watching animated fare is via a film. I could be wrong, but I don't think the typical adult American is keeping up with animation on television or buying animated TV series on DVD for anything other than nostalgia. Lots of people, though, check out dat hot new Pixar film at their local theater. I think Mr/s Jones will more readily consent to watching a "cartoon movie" than a TV series of this foreign anime stuff.

An even more important argument, I think, is the one of time. Remember, we are showing anime to someone who has never seen it before and is unfamiliar with everything concerning it (except maybe stereotypes). Which is the harder sell? "Watch this movie with me" or "Here, borrow this TV series and promise 6 hours of your life to something you know nothing about and, as yet, have no interest in."

Most people I know are already following lots of (non-animated) TV series and to ask them for a lot of their scarce free time away from stuff they and their friends are currently invested in...well it would be pretty difficult.

One thing that happened to me when lending a TV series to someone was that they watched "a couple of episodes" and either didn't have the time or weren't motivated to watch the rest. I was about to say, "It hasn't gotten really good yet! Wait till you get to the..." and then it hit me that people who don't already like anime are probably not willing to wait around for a show to get dark or serious or actiony or whatever. When someone watches a movie, they can get the whole experience that we intended for them in one sitting.

I think Hat's question about storytelling is an important one, but one that I think needs to wait until someone is interested enough in anime to be willing to give up big chunks of free time to watch it.

*EDIT - Shiroi, I think you are the exception to the norm. I think many people like to feel...I dunno...familiar and comfortable while being entertained? If characters in a show were doing something and I was all like, "Huh? Why?" but the show never explained their motivations, it would bug me. A lot. I wouldn't want to have to work to understand it.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby mechana2015 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:35 pm

Paprika is an especially bad recommendation. It's practically a David Lynch or Terry Gilliam film, and really takes a certain sort of person to watch and enjoy it, regardless of its status as an anime. I would only recommend it as a good first anime in the case of the persons favorite movie of all time being Eraserhead or Brazil though.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby Yamamaya » Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:51 pm

I agree with the movies suggestion. I got one of my friends to watch two anime movies with me(the first two Rebuild of Evangelion movies). It was much easier for him than if I'd had him watch an entire freaking T.V. series. He really enjoyed the movies as well. It helped that he had expressed interest in them beforehand.
Yamamaya

Postby Winry » Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:50 pm

TheSubtleDoctor (post: 1471113) wrote:One thing that happened to me when lending a TV series to someone was that they watched "a couple of episodes" and either didn't have the time or weren't motivated to watch the rest. I was about to say, "It hasn't gotten really good yet! Wait till you get to the..." and then it hit me that people who don't already like anime are probably not willing to wait around for a show to get dark or serious or actiony or whatever. When someone watches a movie, they can get the whole experience that we intended for them in one sitting.

Good point here. I mean I have had anime watching friends who wouldn't sit through a series I lent them long enough to get to the good parts, so it would be asking a lot more of someone who hasn't watched any anime before to do so. Problem is I don't really watch a lot of anime movies so it's hard for me to recommend one. Good thing there were already a lot of good suggestions given already =)

Winry

Postby ShiroiHikari » Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:55 pm

Don't lend people TV series. Watch them together. Then they're much more likely to...you know...actually watch it. And it's good hangout time.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Next

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews