One Piece content details?

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

One Piece content details?

Postby Jeikobu » Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:35 am

I've seen One Piece through episode 167, but am very displeased with its bad content problems. Anyone who's browsed the "Reviews" board in recent days knows I already asked about this before and it turned into an argument over perceptions of bad content. Let me clarify that I do not want this thread turned into a debate. My question should be simple: what are the content details of One Piece after the Skypiea arc? What is there that could be offensive to Christians, especially those who are offended by the kind of stuff I mentioned being offended by in the above linked thread? Please be detailed, if you can, and again, please try to keep this down to straight answers so we don't get into more arguments over opinions. Thanks.
"For a child will be born to us, a son will be given to us; and the government will rest on His shoulders; and His name will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Eternal Father, Prince of Peace." - Isaiah 9:6

[SIZE="3"]Please give and help Japan during this awful time![/SIZE]

Please visit my Photobucket and tell me what you think!
Jeikobu

Postby uc pseudonym » Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:09 am

I can't speak for filler episodes, but I'm current on the manga so I'll answer as best I can. As a disclaimer, I read in a very different fashion than you do and so it's possible I may have neglected something.

However, I can say that the Skypiea arc is not indicative of any kind of series change that would include more of the kinds of things that offended you in the other thread. Enel and the "god" title are only for the cloud islands. There are no more random nuns as far as I recall (was she anime-only?). The king of the various fish-based races is named Neptune, which is obviously a divine title, but it's less of a focus than with Skypiea. Bartholomew Kuma continues to play a (generally benevolent) role. As mentioned, his Bible is a historical detail and is never referenced.

The only things from the Skypiea arc that carry into the rest of the series are the fact that the abilities of the people from the island are a part of the overall "haki" system, and the fact that Enel helps introduce the power of element-based fruits.

So tentatively, I don't think the rest of the series would offend you. Of course, it portrays dozens of people dying, but that happened before Skypiea and I suppose it isn't offensive.

Everyone else: keep in mind that not making this an argument is a good idea for multiple reasons. Feel free to correct me or add details about the manga.
uc pseudonym

Postby Jeikobu » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:54 pm

Thanks a lot, that was very informative.

Could you please explain "haki" a little more? A looked it up but am still not clear on how it is viewed. Is it just the writers' fancy way of saying we all need to "awaken" our motivation and ambition and pursue our dreams, etc., or is this sort of a Naruto chakra thing?
"For a child will be born to us, a son will be given to us; and the government will rest on His shoulders; and His name will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Eternal Father, Prince of Peace." - Isaiah 9:6

Jeikobu

Postby uc pseudonym » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:32 am

Detailed answer:
http://onepiece.wikia.com/wiki/Haki

You've seen it used multiple times by the Skypiea arc, it just wasn't named or explained until relatively recently. It's how Mihawk was able to cut a boat in half, why weak people near Shanks collapsed, etc.

So it's not really any different than your typical concept of fighting energy found in basically every single shonen manga either. Given the kinds of powers One Piece has people using on a regular basis, I would sincerely hope it couldn't be offensive.
uc pseudonym

Postby Jeikobu » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:42 am

Yeah, I just wanted to make sure it wasn't one of those "inner ki" concepts.

MOD EDIT: Question answered, so thread locked. Anyone who wants to discuss One Piece, there are some threads devoted to it.

Jeikobu

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews