What are you reading?

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

Postby mysngoeshere56 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:35 pm

After hearing several friends rave about the books, I've now started The Hunger Games trilogy. :)
-Sno
mysngoeshere56

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:21 am

Nami (post: 1469345) wrote:Now reading: The name of this book is Secret. I'm on Chapter 6, and so far, its interesting. The Narrator is hilarious. Its for kids though, so if you aren't interesting in children/pre-teen books, this isn't for you.

I tried reading a bit of that. It wasn't bad, but it felt like a less-funny Lemony Snicket to me, so I didn't care for it that much. I probably would have liked it better if I'd read it first, though. Have you read A Series of Unfortunate Events?

I finished Othello, and as ever, analyzing Shakespeare makes me appreciate him more than when I just read. I still don't care for the story much, but my opinion of Shakespeare has gone up after reading a critic pointing out that if you put Othello and Hamlet into each other's plays, both would be over in five minutes. That is what I call an excellent crafting of character-driven plot.

I'm past halfway through Arthas: The Rise of the Lich King, and am enjoying (as much as one can) the descent to evil. I'd totally forgotten about the mercenaries and the ships! *reminisces happily from the game*
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby solidray2002 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:09 am

I started reading "Radical" By David Pratt...fantastic book for a Christian wanting to be challenged. Also Jesus among other Gods by Ravi Zacharias, probably one of my favorite speakers and incredible apologist. I also am reading a fictional series, probably no one has ever heard of... Legend of Drizzt.... anyone? haha, well I'm almost through the series, started it a couple years ago and reading one of the side stories now...forgot the actual name of the book though...
solidray2002

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:11 am

solidray2002 wrote:I started reading "Radical" By David Pratt...fantastic book for a Christian wanting to be challenged. Also Jesus among other Gods by Ravi Zacharias, probably one of my favorite speakers and incredible apologist. I also am reading a fictional series, probably no one has ever heard of... Legend of Drizzt.... anyone? haha, well I'm almost through the series, started it a couple years ago and reading one of the side stories now...forgot the actual name of the book though...

Yeah, I tried to read Drizzt once. Didn't grab me, personally, though.

So, after realizing I hadn't picked up Assassin's Apprentice for quite some time now, I simply gave up on it. I wanted to like it. Really. I gave it as many chances as I could. But it just didn't do anything interesting at all.

Started reading one of the books I got from Borders though; Mistborn, by Brandon Sanderson. So far, I really like this one and it doesn't seem so likely to bore me.
If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Postby solidray2002 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:19 am

The first book of the drizzt series was definitely slow to me also, so I don't blame you. It only really picked up near the end of the book. I haven't heard of mistborn, but I love reading new books!
"To live is Christ, to die is gain" Philippians 1:21
solidray2002

Postby Atria35 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:19 am

Since I forgot The Dream of Perpetual Motion back at the apt., am reading Mort by Terry Prachett. Diskworld! Yay!
Atria35

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:08 pm

Read Leviathan by Scott Westerfeld and loved it. I'm now dying to read its sequel, Behemoth. :3
Hats wrote:"Frodo! Cast off your [s]sins[/s] into the fire!"

EllaEdric 06:53 -IM SO UNEQUIPPED TO BE A MAN ITS NOT EVEN FUNNY.
FllMtl Novelist

Postby Nami » Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:49 am

the_wolfs_howl (post: 1470236) wrote:I tried reading a bit of that. It wasn't bad, but it felt like a less-funny Lemony Snicket to me, so I didn't care for it that much. I probably would have liked it better if I'd read it first, though. Have you read A Series of Unfortunate Events?

I'm past halfway through Arthas: The Rise of the Lich King, and am enjoying (as much as one can) the descent to evil. I'd totally forgotten about the mercenaries and the ships! *reminisces happily from the game*

I haven't read the Series of Unfortunate Events. My friend said it was good though, but it just didn't seem to suit my tastes. :/ but I'll look into it. XD It was really good though, (The Name of this book is Secret) I do understand though, if it seems like another series you've read. ^^

OOH! Arthas, such a fabulous book. I loved every drop of turning evil. Maaan, it's so subtle. :3 Good book! :rock:

Reading]Cybele's Secret[/I] By Juliet Marillier (This is companion novel to Wildwood Dancing) Wildwood Dancing is based off an old fairytale about the 12 dancing sisters. It's a REALLY good book, I re-read it twice. Which rarely happens. So, I'm looking forward to this book which is about one of the sisters.
[color="Red"][SIZE="3"]Swiftly Dissin' and never Missin'.
Yours Truly,
Sick of all the BSin'.[/SIZE][/color]
Nami

Location: Sitting in a tree, waiting for you. *sinister grin*

Postby ich1990 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:17 pm

solidray2002 (post: 1470266) wrote:I also am reading a fictional series, probably no one has ever heard of... Legend of Drizzt.... anyone? haha, well I'm almost through the series, started it a couple years ago and reading one of the side stories now...forgot the actual name of the book though...

I used to be a huge fan of the Drizzt novels. When the author took a whole trilogy to tell half of a story I gave up on it.
Where an Eidolon, named night, on a black throne reigns upright.
ich1990

Postby rocklobster » Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:09 pm

Just started The Gathering Storm by Kate Elliot. It's book 5 in the great Crown of Stars series.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby ich1990 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:51 pm

[b]“Les Miserables: Part Twoâ€
ich1990

Postby bigsleepj » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:51 pm

I'm disappointed that you gave up on Les Miserables. Yes, there are monotonous bits in extreme, but ultimately the whole book is just amazing.
Unwise Toasting Sermon

The Sweet Smell of CAA
The Avatar Christian Ronin designed for me
An Avatar KhakiBlue gave to me
The avatar Termyt made for me

KhakiBlueSocks wrote:"I'm going to make you a prayer request you can't refuse..." Cue the violins. :lol:

Current Avatar by SirThinks2much - thank you very much! :thumb::)
bigsleepj

Postby Nanao » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:59 pm

Cards on the Table by Agatha Christie. We have almost all of her books so I'm trying to get through the whole set ^__^ And, The Sword and the Circle by Rosemary Sutcliff.
[color="RoyalBlue"]My help comes from the Lord, maker of heaven and earth.[/color] Psalm 121:2
[color="Pink"]@)[/color][color="Green"]}~`,~[/color] Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.
Nanao

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:58 pm

Htom Sirveaux (post: 1470275) wrote:So, after realizing I hadn't picked up Assassin's Apprentice for quite some time now, I simply gave up on it. I wanted to like it. Really. I gave it as many chances as I could. But it just didn't do anything interesting at all.

:waah!:

Anyway, I'm in Part 3 of Arthas now, and heading into less-familiar territory for me because my knowledge of the Frozen Throne expansion pack is a bit more shaky. But maaaaan, Christie Golden is doing such an awesome job of extrapolating on what's there in the game! (SHE PUT IN THE PART WHERE HE GRABS THE ROSE PETAL OH YESSSS!!!) I'm loving this.

I also read The Glass Menagerie, which is pretty blah if you ask me, especially for such a cool title. I also finished reading God of the Fairy Tale to my little sisters.
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby Atria35 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:05 pm

Dropped Dream of Perpetual Motion - too artsy/symbolic for me. And highly, HIGHLY depressing.

Finished Mort by Terry Prachett.

Now into Sourcery by Terry Prachett, and started reading Victory of Eagles, book 5 in the Temeraire series. YAY! Epicness.
Atria35

Postby TheMewster » Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:39 pm

Um, The Holy Bible. It's a pretty good thought provoking book. I highly recommend this piece of literature.

Haven't read much other real books but I finished Azumanga Daioh yesterday.

God bless you all!
So the poor has hope, and injustice shuts her mouth. ~Job 5:16 WEB~
For you are my hope, Lord Yahweh; my confidence from my youth. ~Psalm 71:5 WEB~
TheMewster

Postby J.D3 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:55 am

TheMewster (post: 1472157) wrote:Um, The Holy Bible. It's a pretty good thought provoking book. I highly recommend this piece of literature.

Haven't read much other real books but I finished Azumanga Daioh yesterday.

God bless you all!

Haha, I like that! Well done *tips hat to Mewster*

I just finished Pilgrim's Progress, and wow! Can see why it's been an enduring classic!
Also about halfway through The Lost History of Christianity & it just keeps getting 'curiouser & curiouser'. I'm tempted to perhaps make a separate post about it sometime (coz I think it contains some really important info that all us modern Christians perhaps need to consider), but will wait and see...
J.D3

Postby uc pseudonym » Sun Apr 17, 2011 3:30 am

The Heroes by Joe Abercrombie

This is a violent story about violence. If you're looking for a happy or optimistic book, don't read this. If you're looking for a good book... it is that, but unfortunately I can't recommend it on its own. Though you could keep up with the numerous perspectives if you're used to that sort of thing, you miss a lot of the characterization if you're not already familiar with half the characters from the First Law trilogy.

I need to get some books by new authors. Combined with what I'm reading now this is five books in a row by writers I enjoy but have already read.
uc pseudonym

Postby ich1990 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:13 am

A Universal History of Iniquity” by Jorge Luis Borges

Reading one of Borge's short stories is like reading a book from another author. Every paragraph is dense with facts and moods and images and feelings. Some of them true and others false, but all believable. It is this density that endears me to Borges. While some authors would love to waste away your life with thousand pages epics, Borges makes his epics in fifty pages or less. You get the sense that he cares about your time and chooses to spend it wisely.

In this particular volume, we are taken all around the world to meet some of the most infamous men and women in history. Pirates, desperadoes, knife fighters, gang leaders, and gunslingers are all shown in the native glory through these micro-biographies. For most authors, twenty pages would not be enough for one to get “the feel of the character”, but in each case Borges proves us wrong.

If you ever enjoyed reading a book about famous pirates as a child or enjoyed an old western where the heroes were good and villains very bad, give this collection a shot. It won't take much of your time, but it will suck you into the colorful, lurid worlds of infamy. 9/10
ich1990

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:41 am

uc pseudonym wrote:The Heroes by Joe Abercrombie

This is a violent story about violence. If you're looking for a happy or optimistic book, don't read this. If you're looking for a good book... it is that, but unfortunately I can't recommend it on its own. Though you could keep up with the numerous perspectives if you're used to that sort of thing, you miss a lot of the characterization if you're not already familiar with half the characters from the First Law trilogy.

I need to get some books by new authors. Combined with what I'm reading now this is five books in a row by writers I enjoy but have already read.

Oh yeah, the First Law trilogy is on my reading list. It sounds like the kind of thing I'd be way into.
If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Postby Edward » Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:51 pm

Old Man's War-John Scalzi
[thread=43825]MOES[/thread] One sig to rule them all. One sig to find them. One sig to bring them all, and in 250 px or less bind them. In the land of Mordor, where the sigs do not scroll.

Real men don't sparkle, real men defeat dark wizards.

"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."

chatbot 07:24 - Edward asks, do you ever give relevant answers chatty?
My answer: No
Edward

Postby TheMewster » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:13 pm

Finished the first book of Narnia and will probably check out the second.
So the poor has hope, and injustice shuts her mouth. ~Job 5:16 WEB~
For you are my hope, Lord Yahweh; my confidence from my youth. ~Psalm 71:5 WEB~
TheMewster

Postby bigsleepj » Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:26 pm

The Looking Glass War. No, not that one. This one is from the 1960s and was written by John Le Carré. So far its interesting, but hasn't grabbed me completely yet as his other novels.
Unwise Toasting Sermon

The Sweet Smell of CAA
The Avatar Christian Ronin designed for me
An Avatar KhakiBlue gave to me
The avatar Termyt made for me

KhakiBlueSocks wrote:"I'm going to make you a prayer request you can't refuse..." Cue the violins. :lol:

Current Avatar by SirThinks2much - thank you very much! :thumb::)
bigsleepj

Postby MomentOfInertia » Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:40 pm

Since my last post:

I finished Garth Nix's Keys to the Kingdom series.

Reread books 1-5 of Naomi Novik's Temerare series and read book six.

I also reread Dresden Files books 2 & 3.
MAL - CAA MAL club - Avatar from Hyouka
"DaughterOfZion 06:19 - forget love, fudge conquers all. xD"
"Written assignments are never finished, only due." -me
-Speak not unless you can improve the silence.-
MOES: Members Observing Efficient Sigs
MomentOfInertia

Postby Edward » Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:01 pm

The Name of the Wind-Patrick Rothfuss
[thread=43825]MOES[/thread] One sig to rule them all. One sig to find them. One sig to bring them all, and in 250 px or less bind them. In the land of Mordor, where the sigs do not scroll.

Real men don't sparkle, real men defeat dark wizards.

"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."

chatbot 07:24 - Edward asks, do you ever give relevant answers chatty?
My answer: No
Edward

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:13 pm

Finished Ranger's Apprentice #5: The Sorcerer of the North by John Flanagan. There's an unexpected dramatic time-skip between books #4 and #5, but this was still enjoyable. It takes a while to get anywhere, but for some reason it's not boring.

I also finished the conclusion to the John Wayne Cleaver trilogy, I Don't Want To Kill You by Dan Wells. Fantastic, amazing, thrilling, and a whole lot of other positive adjectives. It's awesome, and I'm sad there won't be any more. ;_;
Hats wrote:"Frodo! Cast off your [s]sins[/s] into the fire!"

EllaEdric 06:53 -IM SO UNEQUIPPED TO BE A MAN ITS NOT EVEN FUNNY.
FllMtl Novelist

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:55 pm

I'm about a quarter of the way through Sweet Silver Blues, book 1 of Glen Cook's Garrett, P.I. series. Similar to Jim Butcher's Dresden Files, but I personally like Garrett better.
Htom Sirveaux

Postby ChristianKitsune » Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:47 pm

This summer I have a long series of reading list. But I'm a very busy little person, Thus, I'm starting now.
First up, is the DragonLance Chronicles: Dragons of Autumn Twilight. :)

I hope to finish it by early may ^_^/
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
Web-Manga Hosted by: The Project
ChristianKitsune

Location: In my sketchbook of wonderment and puffy pink clouds! *\^o^/*

Postby uc pseudonym » Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:50 am

Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss

Basically the same formula as the first book, though with more humor. However, there is a large middle section (the non-politics parts of his trip) where I felt like much of the intelligence drained out of the narrative. I also turned out not to be much of a fan of the Adem culture. I remain highly interested in last book - assuming it really is the last. If not, my enthusiasm will wane only somewhat.

Htom Sirveaux wrote:Oh yeah, the First Law trilogy is on my reading list. It sounds like the kind of thing I'd be way into.

Definitely give it a try. If you do, I advise giving the first book a little patience. Not that nothing happens in it (Abercrombie keeps the pace fairly fast) but it isn't clear where he's going with things for a while.
uc pseudonym

Postby Atria35 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:47 am

Finished Victory of Eagles, now onto The Tongues of Serpants, book 6 in the Temeraire series. Good stuff!
Atria35

Previous Next

Return to Book Corner