Girls' favorite anime series?

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Girls' favorite anime series?

Postby solidray2002 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:17 pm

I am posting for my wife, she loves the series full metal alchemist, black butler and death note. She has attempted some girl directed anime and got bored. We've been suggested bleach from her previous choices. What suggestions could you make for a girl on an anime series? maybe even why you liked it/short summary of story (please no spoilers). Thanks!
"To live is Christ, to die is gain" Philippians 1:21
solidray2002

Postby Atria35 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:38 pm

Yeah... just because it's supposed to be for girls, doesn't mean that girls will like it. It's personal preference. The vast majority of titles I like are aimed at adult men.

Monster would be a good choice- morally complex, incredibly involved story, engaging characters, maybe not very action-packed, but it most definitely has it's moments. There's a review on this site.

Durarara!!- The lives of several people intersect as something supernatural is going on in Tokyo. Story is told from several POVs. Again, good storytelling, engaging characters, good humor, and has some good action in it.

Escaflowne (the series, not the movie)- a girl is thrown into another world and must save it, while making choices on life and love. Great action and characters. It's not morally complex or particularly dark, but the story it tells is beautiful.

Ghost Hunt- again, not necessarily morally complex, but it's good for a few ghost stories as long as you don't mind those. It follows a group of ghost hunters as they try to solve some supernatural issues. Not all the stories are scary- some are lighthearted.

FMA: Brotherhood- This follows the manga's storyline, unlike the original FMA. The first 10-15 episodes will seem familiar with minor differences, but after that....
Atria35

Postby solidray2002 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:41 pm

Thank you! I appreciate the suggestions. We have actually started FMA: Brotherhood, now waiting for netflix to send the last DVD out again. you seem to have a similar taste to ours by the descriptions you gave of those series. Thanks again.
solidray2002

Postby AJV » Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:55 pm

Well here's a few that I liked that would be considered "girly":sweat:

Fruits Basket

It's about a high school student named Tohru Honda who's mother died in a car accident, and she ends up living in a tent.
Until she finds a home with her classmate Yuki Sohma and his cousins Shigure and Kyo. But the twist is that they're are Thirteen members of their family who are possessed by spirits of the Chinese zodiac and turn into their zodiac animal when hugged by the opposite gender or when under stress.

It's a really sweet and touching anime.

Romeo x Juliet

If you ever heard of Romeo & Juliet you kinda have an idea on what it's about. But it's quite different from most Romeo & Juliet stories.

I watched RxJ awhile back when it was one of the first fantasy anime series that I had ever watched and I really enjoyed it.
The Characters were likable (even the side characters) and the Story was Sweet and Captivating.
It's one of my favorite Romantic Anime series.

School Rumble

It's about a juvenile delinquent named Harima Kenji who's in love with an innocent and cute girl named Tenma Tsukamoto who's totally oblivious and is in love with another student named Oji Karasuma.
Now so far you might be thinking it's gonna be a drama (which it kinda can be a times) because of the whole love triangle thing, but it's actually isn't.
It actually a romantic comedy.
Which was a really fun series (I got a lot of laughs out it) is it's one on my favorite anime comedies.

There's also plenty of other series that I'd recommend like Code Geass, Gurren Lagann,Naruto,and others that she might like even if they're aimed at a male audience.

Anyway hope that helps. :)
[url=ajvsblog.blogspot.com]Image[/url]ImageImage
AJV

Postby solidray2002 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:58 pm

Thanks for your ideas, even if its girly, the suggestion is appreciated. I'm sure other readers of this post will find your suggestions helpful as well!
solidray2002

Postby Atria35 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:02 pm

That does remind me- very few people recommend Bleach at this point. It really is endless, has a ton of filler, and makes no logical sense at this point. It started out good, but has fallen so very, very far.
Atria35

Postby solidray2002 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:04 pm

Atria35 (post: 1470316) wrote:That does remind me- very few people recommend Bleach at this point. It really is endless, has a ton of filler, and makes no logical sense at this point. It started out good, but has fallen so very, very far.

Thanks for the heads up!
solidray2002

Postby Midori » Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:07 pm

I know I'm not a girl, but my recommendation here is Toradora. It's a (fairly) realistic romantic comedy featuring a guy who looks like a delinquent but is actually quite nice and likes to clean things, and a girl who is small and cute but has a violent personality.

All the girls I know who've seen it loved it (and all the guys too, but that's a seperate matter). It's one of my family's all-time favorite anime.

I can also vouch for most of the other recommendations people have given so far as being good shows (those that I've seen at least).
Midori

Postby goldenspines » Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:42 pm

Not all women will like "girly" anime (and vice versa for guys).
So, it's hard to narrow down "what would be an anime that a girl would like?" The first choice would be shoujo, but you mentioned your wife got bored with a shoujo (girly) anime. Out of curiosity, what girlish anime did your wife try? If we knew that, we could narrow down what you're looking for better. ^_^

For the time being, I'll recommend a series that's enjoyable no matter the gender.

Ouran High School Host Club - A scholarship student, Haruhi Fujioka, attending a prestigious and high class high school for rich kids searches for a quiet place to study, but ends up getting tangled up with the school's Host Club when Haruhi breaks a 8 million yen vase. Events ensue as Haruhi tries to repay the debt to them.
goldenspines

Postby solidray2002 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:23 pm

I guess I should say she is not into the animes that are mainly a romanitc anime.
solidray2002

Postby Atria35 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:47 pm

Then skip Fruits Basket and School Rumble. They're all about the romance and fairly slow-paced. Romeo x Juliet definitely has a ton of action, so it might be more her style.
Atria35

Postby solidray2002 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:49 pm

Oh good, see a romance with action, more fast paced would be great. :D
And I have heard that Ouran high school club was good also.
solidray2002

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:00 pm

Ouran is one of my favorite shows ever. Definitely check it out. If you enjoy Durarara!! you should at least give Baccano! a shot, they're both written by the same guy and animated by the same studio. If you're okay with unlicensed stuff, Kure-nai is a very solid twelve-episode show. I also feel obligated to mention Library Wars, but again, unlicensed. Full Metal Panic! is pretty good, especially its second season, though I'm apparently the only guy who watches it for the mecha drama and not the high school hijinks. Eureka Seven is a very solid show, probably the best effort by Studio Bones.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby Midori » Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:12 pm

Mr. Hat'n'Clogs (post: 1470342) wrote:Full Metal Panic! is pretty good, especially its second season
I presume you mean The Second Raid and not Fumoffu.
Midori

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:24 pm

Yeah, I skipped Fumoffu, though it is apparently pretty popular.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby Midori » Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:29 pm

Fumoffu a completely different category of show, with only comedy and fan-service and no real action or drama. It is in my opinion not worth watching. But it did come before The Second Raid, making it technically the second season, which is why I requested a disambiguation.
Midori

Postby Ally-Ann » Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:31 pm

solidray2002 (post: 1470336) wrote:Oh good, see a romance with action, more fast paced would be great. :D
And I have heard that Ouran high school club was good also.

I really liked it. Saw the whole series. ^^

Also, Earl and Fairy/Hakushaku to Yosei is a really good anime to watch. There's action, romance, and it's 12 episodes long.
[color="Lime"]My Fictionpress account[/color]! http://www.fictionpress.com/u/740837/Ally-Ann

[color="Yellow"]My Fanfiction account[/color]! http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2401061/ArmyAngel316

My nicknames! [color="Pink"]~*[/color][color="palegreen"]Ally[/color][color="pink"]*~[/color] [color="white"](>[/color][color="Cyan"]Mochi-chan[/color][color="White"]<)[/color]

I like mochi. ^^

I question my [color="DarkOrchid"]sanity[/color]. (._.)

Operation: Blackout
Ally-Ann

Postby Mouse2010 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:21 pm

If she likes action shows with an emphasis on character development and character interactions, she might like Gun X Sword. (It's one of my personal favorites, and I'm a woman, not that that means all women like the same thing!) It does have some fan service, though, and it takes awhile for the plot to get rolling.

I actually started writing out a long post with all the pros and cons, and then decided that briefer would be better, but let me know if you want the long version.
Mouse2010

Postby Winry » Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:24 pm

I would say Ouran Host Club is a good option. It's pretty fast pace and hilarious with a good story.
"My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." 2 Corinthians 12:9

Phantom_Sorano 12:29 - Congrats Winry, you are the first CAA Chat Survivor.
Winry

Postby ShiroiHikari » Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:05 pm

I'm a woman and I like mostly "guy" anime, much like a lot of the other girls here.

Ouran is funny and has likeable characters, so I'd recommend it.

Gun x Sword is good but different; many people will try to compare it to Trigun or Cowboy Bebop but I personally don't see the resemblance. It has some funny moments, good characters, and giant robots.

Eureka Seven has a nice mix of action and romance (in my opinion). Great animation, too.

The first season of Full Metal Panic is kinda meh, but The Second Raid makes it totally worth watching.

If she likes action or fighting, and you're not opposed to watching something that's unlicensed, maybe try Hajime no Ippo. It focuses on a young boxer named Ippo, and while the boxing matches are pretty excellent, it's the characters that really make the show great.

I'm also a big fan of One Piece, but there's A LOT of it and it takes a little while to get rolling. But once it does get rolling, it doesn't stop. It's head-and-shoulders above shows like Naruto or Bleach.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Hiryu » Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:00 am

Fruits basket does have some romantic elements, but I think it's more on drama and comedy.

Fushugi Yugi

Chrono Crusade

The Slayers

Midori (post: 1470348) wrote:Fumoffu a completely different category of show, with only comedy and fan-service and no real action or drama. It is in my opinion not worth watching. But it did come before The Second Raid, making it technically the second season, which is why I requested a disambiguation.

Yea, it seemed like Season 1 had both comedy and action, but Fumoffu focused more on the comedy aspect and TSR focused more on the action/drama aspect.
Hiryu

Postby Sapphire225 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:29 pm

Well, since it seems she's into action and more serious shows than romance and everyone has listed some good anime already,here is some not mentioned:
D. Gray-man; If she liked FMA, she'll probably like this.

Black Cat; a popular anime with gun action and fighting.

Darker than Black, an action-packed anime.

Baccano; although I should warn you that it is a bit more graphically violent than most listed but judging by the shows she's watched, I think she can take it. Made by the same guy that made Durarara.

And I thought Fumoffu was alright, but its totally comedy. TSR is definately the season to watch though. But I still recommend to watch the first season as well.
"Because the World isn't as cruel as you take it to be." ~ Celty, Durarara!!

Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you."
~Deuteronomy 31:6

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We live in a fantasy world, a world of illusion. The great task in life is to find reality. ~ Iris Murdoch
Sapphire225

Postby samurai10 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:09 am

Scrapped Princess. ^^/ One of the few animes that my sister has actually finished XD Great plot, good animation, interesting characters, and a few funny scenes. There's a bit of romance in it, but not too much. ^^ Action, and great stuffs like that. We have a review of it somewhere, and I think I already recommended it to you through PM but whatever. XD

Another one is Soul Eater. My avatar is from Soul Eater. XD It's got more than enough fanservice though, and it takes a while for the plot to get rolling, but it really is very good. ^^ Interesting characters, and great plot once it gets rolling.

Witch Hunter Robin is yet another one. XD Very good animation, amazing plot, realistic characters. Even though it's like Soul Eater in the sense that it takes a while for the plot to get rolling, it's good and worth it. We have a review of this too, I think.
"I'm on Aslan's side even if there isn't any Aslan to lead it. I'm going to live as like a Narnian as I can even if there isn't any Narnia." ~The Silver Chair

"You can close your eyes to the things you don't want to see, but you can't close your heart to the things you don't want to feel." ~Johnny Depp

"MOES! Sign up and sig down!"

[color="Red"]@)[/color][color="SeaGreen"]}~`,~ [/color]Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.

Sami-The warrior pokemon

This pokemon is stout in stature, but extremely loyal. it's head and ears make the shape of a samurai helmet. the scales from said helmet can be pulled out and used as kunai.
samurai10

Location: You're crazy if you think I'll tell you where I live.

Postby Nami » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:40 am

I can't believe no one has recommended

Princess Tutu - EXCELLENT story, great, lovable and huggable characters, a fantastic heroine that many girls can relate to. And a real fairytale feel, as it is based off the Ugly Duckling. Has some action, intense scenes! It made me cry (I don't cry often)

Kodocha No Omocha - A.K.A. Kodocha. About an Elementary school girl who is a famous celebrity on a show called Childs Toy (Thus Kodocha No Omocha) and she must "battle" her school-time bully and set him straight. It's hilarious, while Sana (the main) takes a little while to get used to, once you past nearly the whole first half of the first season, she is easier to handle, and Definitely more mature. But the story is engaging with characters who are believable and moments where one will cry. :D It's mostly just FREAKIN' HILARIOUS!!! And if you don't like Sana, I know you'll love Zenjiro!! :D

Pretear Based off a manga which is based of Snow White. It's a delightful story, that I think, doesn't get enough attention! The anime is exciting, full of adventure and thrills! :D
[color="Red"][SIZE="3"]Swiftly Dissin' and never Missin'.
Yours Truly,
Sick of all the BSin'.[/SIZE][/color]
Nami

Location: Sitting in a tree, waiting for you. *sinister grin*

Postby Atria35 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:15 pm

Nami (post: 1471093) wrote:I can't believe no one has recommended

Princess Tutu
Kodocha No Omocha
Pretear

The reason we haven't is because she's not into those types of anime. While Pretear and PT would be easier to get into, eventually, Kodocha is along the lines of ones she hasn't liked, and the others (esp. Pretear) have strong shoujo themes that would make it harder to watch.
Atria35

Postby Nami » Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:14 am

O__O But the point is, the story lines are good. They aren't uberly girly. Especially not Kodocha. It's not even really all that Shojo-ish.

Ah well, I was just saying, coming from a person like me who can watch Hellsing and then Kodocha and love both the blood/gore and the hilarity... O___O I may be a one-of-a-kind human being XDD; Oh well. I thought she might be interested.
Yours Truly,
Nami

Postby Atria35 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:38 am

[quote="Nami (post: 1471312)"]O__O But the point is, the story lines are good. They aren't uberly girly. Especially not Kodocha. It's not even really all that Shojo-ish.

Ah well, I was just saying, coming from a person like me who can watch Hellsing and then Kodocha and love both the blood/gore and the hilarity... O___O I may be a one-of-a-kind human being XDD]

I'm sory, I didn't mean to sound.... well, mean.

Yeah, I agree that you can enjoy light and sweet things along with the darker. But shoujo is light and sweet, and his wife hasn't enjoyed those. It just makes more sense to recommend ones that she's more likely to enjoy (darker and more philosophical) than a show that's like the ones she hasn't.
Atria35

Postby Nami » Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:51 am

O_o you didn't sound mean. ^_^ you were voicing the truth~

I agree. O__O for some reason I wasn't really thinking yesterday. >>;
All the good ones have been recommended.

Trinity Blood is good, but ends halfway, and if you really want to know the end you have to read the manga.
Yours Truly,
Nami

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:27 pm

:o OH! I know! Haibane Renmei. (A girl wakes up with no memories to find herself in an old schoolhouse inhabited by Haibane, children who have wings and halos like angels. She struggles to figure out how she fits into this new world.) You might be able to call it a "girly" show, but only because the main cast is comprised exclusively of girls. It's a very soft, sweet show - not romantic; there's only one romantic relationship mentioned, and it's not even terribly prominent. The art/animation is beautiful, the music is gorgeous, and the story is so sweet and heartwarming. But at the same time, if you keep on watching, the story digs into surprisingly deep themes that make you think. (I would even say there's some Christian elements to it, beyond the angel-esque appearances of the characters.) The ending, unlike many animes, is actually perfect and leaves you completely satisfied. The only complaint I can think of is that it might be too slow for some people. My brother got bored with it, for example. So if your wife gets bored if there's not enough action, she might not like it so much.

And whether that's the case or not, I would also recommend Gunslinger Girl. (Young Italian girls are trained to be deadly assassins.) Which is like Haibane Renmei...with guns :3 My brother did like this one, because the soft, thoughtful moments are interspersed with crazy spurts of action and, well...gunslinging.

Let me preface this next recommendation: I generally abhor shoujo anime, even though I'm a girl. It just seems so dull and stupid, if not melodramatic and boring. (*ducks all the flying tomatoes from shoujo-fans*) You can have your cutesy schoolgirls and blushing teen romance. I'll take bloody, gritty action any day. So when I say that I love Lovely Complex to death, you can understand what a concession that is. (The premise is simply that a really tall girl and a really short boy end up in the same class and begin a straaaaange friendship-rivalry-romance thing.)
The thing is, Lovely Complex is a high-school romantic comedy, exactly everything I normally find boring...but it's wonderful. It's possibly the most hilarious thing I've ever seen, and better yet, it's realistic. Sure, their heights and expressions are exaggerated, and there are implausible coincidences. But the boy and girl have to learn how to be friends, and then they develop romantic feelings for each other. They have their ups and downs, but at the end of the day it's a story of how friendship comes before everything else.

So from one person who finds shoujo romance boring to another...I heartily recommend trying Lovely Complex before writing off shoujo altogether.
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby aliveinHim » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:57 pm

I know a ton of girls who are Narutards (including me).
"And you He made alive, who were dead in trespasses and sins, in which you once walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit who now works in the sons of disobedience, among whom also we all once conducted ourselves in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind, and were by nature children of wrath, just as the others.
But God, who is rich in mercy, because of His great love with which He loved us, even when we were dead in trespasses, made us alive together with Christ (by grace you have been saved), and raised us up together, and made us sit together in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus, that in the ages to come He might show the exceeding riches of His grace in His kindness toward us in Christ Jesus." Ephesians 2:1-7

http://oribichan94.deviantart.com/
aliveinHim

Next

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews