New Orleans Catholic Private School uses Corporal Punishment

Talk about anything in here.

Postby Nami » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:55 am

Atria35 (post: 1466705) wrote:Being spanked as a kid made me more resentful towards my parents. When others gave punishment (such as my aunt who babysat us), I would get the idea that what I did was wrong, but if it was my parents, I hated them more.

Sorry if someone has already said this but... Atria, I have to say, that when I was little I hated my mom and dad for spanking me. Why? Because, they never explained what I did was wrong. They just spanked me and told me to think about it! Think about what, exactly? They never told me what I had done. I didn't know.

See, that's the thing, people expect kids to know that when they do something its bad, lets not forget we adults/teenagers have lived a bit longer than a 4 to 11 year old, so we know better. Which is why we have to teach the kids that is wrong. Now, spanking is fine when handled correctly. My mom spanked me with a wooden spoon. I refuse to do that to my children because, when she did it...all I wanted to do was to be even more bad than I already had been, even though I didn't know what I had done! It made me hateful and furious. I. Was. Not. Sorry. But my parent's didn't know that. Which is possibly why I ended up being such an angry child.

You have GOT to show that child why its wrong, and explain it to them THEY UNDERSTAND when you explain as best as you can. I don't have to punish the kids I babysit, I tell them sternly that its wrong and surprise, surprise! They listen.

Anyway, I feel rather strongly about paddling children, I think disciplining them when necessary is fine, but paddling them is just harsh. A firm spanking and a time-out and an explanation of why what they did was wrong really does wonders.
[color="Red"][SIZE="3"]Swiftly Dissin' and never Missin'.
Yours Truly,
Sick of all the BSin'.[/SIZE][/color]
Nami

Location: Sitting in a tree, waiting for you. *sinister grin*

Postby Sapphire225 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:34 am

rocklobster (post: 1466845) wrote:Oh, I neglected to mention: From what I heard, the paddling is done right in front of everyone, during class. And they do use it when all other methods have failed.

Yikes! If thats the case, I'd just beg for detention or suspension. That would be totally embarassing and humilating.
"Because the World isn't as cruel as you take it to be." ~ Celty, Durarara!!

Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you."
~Deuteronomy 31:6

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We live in a fantasy world, a world of illusion. The great task in life is to find reality. ~ Iris Murdoch
Sapphire225

Postby TopazRaven » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:53 am

Regardless of wither corporal punishment is alright or not, it SHOULD NOT be done in front of the entire class. Humiliation and degrading someone like that, no matter how misbehaved they where, is unacceptable in my book.
For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

NIV, Romans 8:38-39.
TopazRaven

Postby Sapphire225 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:56 am

TopazRaven (post: 1466994) wrote:Regardless of wither corporal punishment is alright or not, it SHOULD NOT be done in front of the entire class. Humiliation and degrading someone like that, no matter how misbehaved they where, is unacceptable in my book.

Agreed. I was thinking something along those lines actually.
"Because the World isn't as cruel as you take it to be." ~ Celty, Durarara!!

Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you."
~Deuteronomy 31:6

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We live in a fantasy world, a world of illusion. The great task in life is to find reality. ~ Iris Murdoch
Sapphire225

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:04 am

Mr. SmartyPants (post: 1466963) wrote:There are always exceptions to norms to almost every case which exists. But if you want to talk widespread significant differences which could very well reflect the population as a whole, corporal punishment does more harm than good.

I'd take it even further. I think things like spanking is opposite to Christian morality. I don't think it's appropriate nor Christ-like.

I disagree completely based onscripture, but I know- "that's in the OT, it should be read this way, not that way, phycological this'n'that, etc etc."
Shao Feng-Li

Postby Midori » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:23 am

Considering the location of this thread, we really do not need to make this a religious discussion.
Midori

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:26 am

Midori (post: 1467012) wrote:Considering the location of this thread, we really do not need to make this a religious discussion.

Yeah I kind of realized this a little while after I posted. My apologies!
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:54 pm

Oops, I forgot about that myself too. Sorry.
Shao Feng-Li

Postby Atria35 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:46 pm

TopazRaven (post: 1466994) wrote:Regardless of wither corporal punishment is alright or not, it SHOULD NOT be done in front of the entire class. Humiliation and degrading someone like that, no matter how misbehaved they where, is unacceptable in my book.

Agreed. There is no argument from this quarter.
Atria35

Postby mysngoeshere56 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:07 pm

I have mixed feelings about it. I think an occasional spanking is fine, but there are parents/authority figures who don't really know how to limit the amount and degree. As such, they end up spanking children too much... But then again, slapping kids with words can pretty much be just as traumatizing.

But, this is coming from somebody who has a bit of a "different" view as far as things like this go. I dealt with some violent people in my childhood, and lived with domestic violence for a time. For an even longer period of time, I was pretty much called/treated like a brat no matter how I behaved. I'd get yelled at and punished all the time, even if I never really did anything to deserve it.

As such, I pretty much dislike the idea as a whole because of what I went through... But, I've also watched kids in the past, and I know that sometimes spankings and other unpleasant punishments are necessary when dealing with a very ill-mannered, strong-willed child.

Fully agreed.
-Sno
mysngoeshere56

Postby byrocat » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:34 pm

It's like the line from the Mikado "make the punishment fit the crime". Problem is that parenting is generally done by people wo are untrained or have been trained by people who didn't have kids of their own. Mistakes happen.

I was in school in Nova Scotia when the strap was banned for teachers to use and then forbiddeen to principals about two years later. I've seen the strap used only once by a teacher (on a desk to get our attention when the class was getting way to rambunctious).

I've been fortunate in having teachers and principals who could provide correction and direction without having to resort to corporal punishment. Punishments from my parents usually did not involve corporal punsihment except on thos occassions where we'd placed ourselves in harms' way or had really overstepped the boundary and lower levels of punishment did not work.

Having said that, I've also seen what happens to people without firm discipline (that's consistent and meaningful punishments, not like living in a military barracks.) Too much or not enough spoils the child and makes life harder for them when they grow up.
byrocat

Previous

Return to General