bibles

Talk about anything in here.

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:14 pm

I usually just stick with the NIV.
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Nanao » Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:08 pm

Wow lot of NIV! I primarily read The Message at the moment >_> But, I am looking into the possibility of changing to a different one. I use NASB for scripture memory or word studies. I'm not the most experienced Christian out there, so I really like how the Message makes things easy to relate to, but sometimes I feel like it trivialises things a bit.
[color="RoyalBlue"]My help comes from the Lord, maker of heaven and earth.[/color] Psalm 121:2
[color="Pink"]@)[/color][color="Green"]}~`,~[/color] Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.
Nanao

Postby Peanut » Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:48 pm

NKJV, NIV and ESV are the main ones I use.
CAA's Resident Starcraft Expert

goldenspines wrote:Its only stealing if you don't get caught.
Peanut

Postby ChristianKitsune » Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:47 pm

Isn't there Bible translation that is like really controversial because it like doesn't specifically state that God is male? I might be mistaken, but I thought I heard that somewhere.
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
Web-Manga Hosted by: The Project
ChristianKitsune

Location: In my sketchbook of wonderment and puffy pink clouds! *\^o^/*

Postby Rusty Claymore » Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:52 pm

@CK: As far as I know there are a few. One that I know of was nicknamed the "Stealth Bible" because it remained labled as the original version it was taken off from. I don't remember which version it was though.
Proverbs 31:32 "...when she watches anime, she keeps the room well lit and sits at a safe distance."
Rusty Claymore

Postby shooraijin » Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:37 pm

Let's not get into those, unless we want to move this thread to Theology Discussions. (Hint.)
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:52 pm

Shao, I think you're just used to the KJV, it reads very, very differently to modern English. It's archaic but if you enjoy that version more power to you (just don't expect everyone to enjoy or be able to understand it).
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby ADXC » Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:30 pm

Agreeing with W4J, just know that with the KJV sometimes you'll run across words or phrases that may possibly be archaic that may not mean what you think it means.

If one does his studying about particular words or phrases that he is not certain about, then I have no qualms about one using it.

Of course I like to read out of the KJV, but sometimes the meaning may not be the same because it was written for people in the 1600s. However, I do believe the word of God does transcend time so using the KJV is alright. You just have to be careful with interpretation and application.

This is the way I learned to read the Bible in my IBL(Interpreting Biblical Literature) class that I took last semester and these things have helped me a lot.
It's called the Interpretive Journey.

Step 1: Grasping the text in their town. What did the text mean to the biblical audience?

Step 2: Measuring the width of the river to cross. What are the differences between the biblical audience and us?
These comprise of culture, language, time, situation, and covenant (Pay special attention when you go from the OT to the NT here.)

Step 3: Crossing the principlizing bridge. What is the theological principle in this text?

Step 4: Grasp the text in their town. How should individual Christians today apply the theological principle in their lives?

Anyway, I thought it would be neat to share this. You don't have to follow this format, but I think it is pretty good.
ADXC

Postby J.D3 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:44 am

I currently use a NIV Archaeological Study Bible (and before you ask, no, I'm not an archeologist!), but carry around a small Gideon's NJKV for general reference or reading, coz I'm usually running around a lot with study & whatnot.

My thoughts on KJV's echo that of Atria35 & Midori - good read & for a general reference (at least I've found anyway) but I probably prefer more modern translations with footnotes explaining things, like my NIV, which I've found really helpful in understanding things.
Nothing against the King James though. As I've discovered with mine, God's Word can reach you no matter what form it's in!

I have also pondered about maybe eventually getting a translation that's more of a very accurate reflection of the original Greek, Hebrew & Aramaic texts into English, hopefully with footnotes as well.

Hmm, does such a thing exist? I'm pretty sure it does but not sure what...
J.D3

Postby TheMewster » Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:30 pm

Read NIV and it was AWESOME! so I'll stick with that one from now on since I'm rereading the Gospels. God bless the translators! Oh, and you guys too! :)
So the poor has hope, and injustice shuts her mouth. ~Job 5:16 WEB~
For you are my hope, Lord Yahweh; my confidence from my youth. ~Psalm 71:5 WEB~
TheMewster

Postby Xeno » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:51 am

When I do any serious reading or go to church I take either my NKJV Thompson Chain Reference or I use a Bible app on my iPhone. When I need a good laugh I read the Message translation, because a lot of it is just plain ridiculous.
Xeno

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:35 am

Really? How is The Message ridiculous? Granted it's meant to be easy to understand but as an Australian some of the terminology confuses me more than anything. And here "member" doesn't refer to one's foot. :)
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby Dante » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:46 am

I have a KJV Bible and a TNIV Bible, along with e-sword (with both of those) for further reference. The one time I read the Bible cover to cover, I used the KJ version, so I would often get wierded out in sermons when they used other translations - especially if I remembered the verses differently XD. I've become less conservative with each passing year though and so I prefer the TNIV today however.
Dante

Postby ADXC » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:50 am

You guys lets not bash any version of the Bible. There really doesn't need to be a debate about this here.
ADXC

Postby Xeno » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:36 am

Warrior 4 Jesus (post: 1468524) wrote:Really? How is The Message ridiculous? Granted it's meant to be easy to understand but as an Australian some of the terminology confuses me more than anything. And here "member" doesn't refer to one's foot. :)

Well, let me rephrase as I probably didn't chose my words properly. I find a lot of the the Message translation to be funny due to things like how it translates Psalm 23, especially verse 4
"Even when the way goes through
Death Valley,
I’m not afraid
when you walk at my side.
Your trusty shepherd’s crook
makes me feel secure."

Death Valley is a real place in California where a great deal of the original Star Wars trilogy was filmed at. So it's not ridiculous, but I find it humorous.
Sorry if I upset anyone by calling it that. As long as the translation is done as correctly as possible with the intent of keeping the same message, then a translation can't be ridiculous.
Xeno

Postby Agloval » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:54 am

As a child I read the GNB, and nowadays I use the NIV for everyday stuff. I also have a AV/KJV (curiously enough, an edition with atheist editors), and a few other versions. All of which I have to refer to now and again (for literary rather than theological study) but none of which I turn to when I just want to read the Bible.
'That blast is blown for me, for I am the prize, and yet am I not dead.'
Agloval

Postby ich1990 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:12 pm

There is a trade-off between accuracy and readability. Depending on how much of either I am interested in, I use The Message, the NASB, or the Greek and Hebrew.

Of course sometimes I just use whatever happens to be closest to me at the moment.
Where an Eidolon, named night, on a black throne reigns upright.
ich1990

Postby Nanao » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:02 pm

ich1990 (post: 1468596) wrote:Of course sometimes I just use whatever happens to be closest to me at the moment.

That's my philosophy most of the time. Which usually translates to whatever is available online.
[color="RoyalBlue"]My help comes from the Lord, maker of heaven and earth.[/color] Psalm 121:2
[color="Pink"]@)[/color][color="Green"]}~`,~[/color] Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.
Nanao

Postby rocklobster » Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:06 pm

I use the NRSV Catholic Edition. We also have a Jerusalem Bible with a nice black cover.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:02 pm

Xeno (post: 1468569) wrote:Well, let me rephrase as I probably didn't chose my words properly. I find a lot of the the Message translation to be funny due to things like how it translates Psalm 23, especially verse 4
"Even when the way goes through
Death Valley,
I’m not afraid
when you walk at my side.
Your trusty shepherd’s crook
makes me feel secure."

Death Valley is a real place in California where a great deal of the original Star Wars trilogy was filmed at. So it's not ridiculous, but I find it humorous.
Sorry if I upset anyone by calling it that. As long as the translation is done as correctly as possible with the intent of keeping the same message, then a translation can't be ridiculous.

Some of The Message makes me think "So, if Stephanie Meyer wrote a Bible..."
Shao Feng-Li

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:17 pm

ich1990 (post: 1468596) wrote:There is a trade-off between accuracy and readability.

While this is true, I think that there will never be a translation which captures the pure essence of the Bible. We only have what we can work with.
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby uc pseudonym » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:15 am

So I realize I might pull this thread closer to the obvious debate, but I would prefer that honest questions not go unanswered:

Rusty Claymore wrote:Atria or Midori, could you link me articles on these older texts, please?

I can link you articles if you want, but PM me, since most of them are in the context of a debate. Of course, for an issue such as this it would probably be better to reference books - I'll limit my recommendation of those to The Text of the New Testament by Bruce Metzger, which is a good resource for those who want to know how the English translations of the Bible came to be (much less want to argue about them). I'm not a professional, but most of what I'm saying here is old facts.

But to be more useful, let me sketch out the core differences in texts available between when the KJV was translated and now. First, some information on the resources used by the KJV:
- The Greek used for the KJV was translated by Erasmus. He followed the scholarly conventions of his time in choice of manuscripts, which is different from what we know now about which texts are most reliable (this is the Byzantine vs Alexandrian debate if you want to know more).
- In the words of the translator himself, this text was "rushed into print rather than edited." There are dozens of papers on the typographical and minor errors due to this.
- Erasmus had no Greek manuscript for the last six verses of Revelation (I think other areas but my memory is fuzzy). So he translated from the Latin, back into Greek, then into English.
- In later editions Erasmus used various sources such as the Montfortianus codex which we now know to be even younger than the first edition.

Though Erasmus assembled the texts he had available as best he could, his Greek NT was the sole source used by the KJV translators. Meanwhile, as time has passed the following discoveries improved biblical translation:
- The Aleph codex was discovered in 1859.
- The Vaticanus codex wasn't available to translators until 1889.
- The Dead Sea Scrolls were discovered in 1947. You should know about these.
- I can't remember when they showed up, but the Alexandrius and Sinaiticus codexes were also older texts not available for the KJV.

Just to be clear, I'm not trying to make any statements about what Bible you should read. Unless your KJV has a date like 1611 attached to it, most typographical errors and mistranslations have been corrected (with a few controversial exceptions). I also hope I won't turn a civil thread into an argument. However, I think it is important to bring up some basic facts since this discussion often seems to be based on opinions and the idea that God wrote the Bible in English.
uc pseudonym

Postby Forgotten » Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:07 pm

KJV ♥ It's the least confusing for me, and it's what I've grown up using. My school uses it too, so it's just more simple. It would be terrible to memorize a verse, and quote it in the wrong version for the quiz...xD ( -always has a fear of that- ) I also like KJV because people gave their lives for it, and worked so hard to get it to us, and publish it. <3

I love cross-translating. ;3; I only know how to read a little bit of Greek from my Bible teacher, though. So I'm going to save up and buy a Greek to English dictionary and Bible~
[font="Book Antiqua"]
[SIZE="1"]( Jude 1:24 )[/SIZE]
" I have killed my best friend. Please...please do not call me a hero. "
~Jack Vessalius
[SIZE="3"]}[/SIZE] ♥
[SIZE="1"]YouTube • Formspring • deviantART • Fanfiction[/SIZE]
[/font]
Forgotten

Postby Nate » Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:15 pm

Forgotten wrote:people gave their lives for it

No one gave their life for the KJV. The reason it's called the King James Version is because King James I of England officially authorized a group of translators to create a new translation of the Bible, because the consensus at the time was that the previous English translations had problems.

So a new translation was ordered to be made to better conform to the Church of England's doctrine, as the Puritans didn't like the Great Bible or the Bishop's Bible (the previous English translations).

At any rate, the translators and printers of the King James Bible were working under direct orders from the king of England, it certainly wasn't any sort of secret operation that required any sort of sacrifice. In other words, nobody gave their life for it. Unless some of them died of natural causes while working on the translation, but that doesn't really count.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:32 pm

Exactly, Nate. People have given their lives for their belief in Jesus but not for the KJV translation, that's for sure.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby J.D3 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:40 am

I think Forgotten means "gave their lives for it" as in, greatly invested their time, energy & talents into tranlsating it.

Like you guys have been indicating, it'd be pretty perverse if people were actually sacrificed for it, like some crazy ritual! I'd run for the hills if that was the case...

:grin:
J.D3

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:05 am

If that's what they meant, it still doesn't mean much more. Most, if not all translators invest years in researching and translating to create new translations.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby lyates » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:25 am

The Scriptures, a relatively new translation published by the Institute for Scripture Research. My Kids all received this bible from our neighbor for Christmas one year. When I read versus in this bible the words come to life in my life and I feel I am receiving the true meaning of God's word.
lyates

Postby blkmage » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:58 am

People have been martyred (read: gave/sacrificed their life) for translating the Bible into other languages (e.g. William Tyndale burned at the stake for trying to translate it into English). It's just that the guys translating the KJV aren't those guys.
blkmage

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:56 pm

I thought I heard somewhere that the KJV used a lot of Tyndale's material.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Previous Next

Return to General