Dead Arms In The Morning

Talk about anything in here.

Dead Arms In The Morning

Postby c.t.,girl » Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:42 am

When I go to bed, I HAVE to sleep on my stomach or else I just can't sleep at all. Not only does it hurt my neck but when I wake up, I find that my arms are next to my head and have no feeling or life to them at all! I have to move my entire body, which is scary, because I don't know if i'm hurting them or moving them in a way that'll hurt later, just to move them back down to my sides to get the blood to flow back into them. I've tried sleeping on my back, but it just keeps me up and makes my limbs restless. I've also tried sleeping on my sides, but then my joints begin to hurt, even with a pillow between my legs!

My question is: How do I keep my arms from doing this without having to sleep on my back?
[color="DarkOrange"]"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things... hey... the good things don't always soften the bad things; but vice-versa the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things and make them unimportant." -11th Doctor

"The advice I like to give young artists, or really anybody who’ll listen to me, is not to wait around for inspiration. Inspiration is for amateurs; the rest of us just show up and get to work. If you wait around for the clouds to part and a bolt of lightning to strike you in the brain, you are not going to make an awful lot of work. All the best ideas come out of the process; they come out of the work itself. Things occur to you. If you’re sitting around trying to dream up a great art idea, you can sit there a long time before anything happens. But if you just get to work, something will occur to you and something else will occur to you and something else that you reject will push you in another direction. Inspiration is absolutely unnecessary and somehow deceptive. You feel like you need this great idea before you can get down to work, and I find that’s almost never the case." - Chuck Close[/color]
c.t.,girl

Postby Atria35 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:54 am

Sounds like your arms are going to sleep. Unfortunately, since people move in their sleep (technically, in the higher states of sleep, where you're kind of concious but don't remember), there's not really a way to stop it. It's just something you do. And you don't remember doing it later.

I'd recommend finding proper support for your back. Learning to sleep on your back actually takes a bit of practice (it was unnatural for me until I got a bed that wasn't really big enough for me to roll around and curl up like I do). Make sure you have proper back support. Do relaxing stretches before going to sleep. Try sleeping on your back, but with your head turned to the side (don't ask, it's just something I do that seems to help).
Atria35

Postby shooraijin » Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:02 am

Yes, unfortunately this is a positioning problem. What I suspect you're actually doing is pinching a nerve somewhere. Figuring out what you're doing as you sleep, however, is extremely difficult.
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby c.t.,girl » Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:04 am

^_^;;; yeah they are going to sleep...i couldn't think of what it was called.

i do sleep on a twin air mattress...so there's not a whole lot of room for me to move around either...but i think i've always slept this way...but the arms thing has only just started...aaah so this is something that's going to take patience...
[color="DarkOrange"]"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things... hey... the good things don't always soften the bad things; but vice-versa the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things and make them unimportant." -11th Doctor

"The advice I like to give young artists, or really anybody who’ll listen to me, is not to wait around for inspiration. Inspiration is for amateurs; the rest of us just show up and get to work. If you wait around for the clouds to part and a bolt of lightning to strike you in the brain, you are not going to make an awful lot of work. All the best ideas come out of the process; they come out of the work itself. Things occur to you. If you’re sitting around trying to dream up a great art idea, you can sit there a long time before anything happens. But if you just get to work, something will occur to you and something else will occur to you and something else that you reject will push you in another direction. Inspiration is absolutely unnecessary and somehow deceptive. You feel like you need this great idea before you can get down to work, and I find that’s almost never the case." - Chuck Close[/color]
c.t.,girl

Postby K. Ayato » Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:15 am

If you've gotta sleep on your back, try putting a pillow under your knees. It takes a lot of the pressure off the lower back and should be a bit more comfortable.
K. Ayato: What happens if you press the small red button?

*Explosion goes off in the movie*

mechana2015: Does that answer your question?

K. Ayato: Perfectly.

Prayer sister of kaji, sticksabuser, Angel37, and Doubleshadow --Love you guys! :)
K. Ayato

Postby c.t.,girl » Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:41 am

i've tried putting a pillow under my knees...it always seems to end up on the floor. XD

c.t.,girl

Postby LadyRushia » Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:44 pm

This happens to me pretty frequently and it scared the crap out of me the first few times it happened. Usually, I'll wake up suddenly and be like "OH CRAP MY ARMS ARE DEAD I HAVE TO MOVE THEM NOW." Something that helps is to not sleep with my arms above my head or lay on them in any way. If you can't sleep on your back, try sleeping on your side.
Fanfiction (updated 1/1/11)-- Lucky Star--Ginsaki ch. 4
[color="Magenta"]Sometimes I post things.[/color]
Image Image Image
LadyRushia

Postby ShiroiHikari » Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:06 pm

I sleep on my side with one arm curled under my pillow, and sometimes I wake up and my hands are numb because I've been lying on them with my wrists bent and whatnot. It's kinda creepy. XD

You sleep on an air mattress, like the kind you use to go camping? Dude, I feel your pain, as I had to sleep on one of those for almost a whole year. Ended up buying like three of them because they kept springing leaks and leaving us flat on the floor before morning. Eventually some friends of ours gave us their extra bed and mattress that they no longer needed.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby c.t.,girl » Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:17 pm

haha i've been laying on an air mattress since...since...i think 5 years now? or maybe 3...it's kinda hard to remember since it feels like i've always slept on one. @_@;

c.t.,girl

Postby Nanao » Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:53 pm

You could try using one of those long body pillows and leaning some of your weight over on that. That way you're not completely on your stomach, but it might be enough to take the pressure off of your arms.
[color="RoyalBlue"]My help comes from the Lord, maker of heaven and earth.[/color] Psalm 121:2
[color="Pink"]@)[/color][color="Green"]}~`,~[/color] Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.
Nanao

Postby c.t.,girl » Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:10 pm

;A; aaah i use to have one of those pillows...so niiiice~! >_> and then my cat from long time ago peed on it...so i had to throw it away. T_T

:D THAT'S A GOOD IDEA NANAO!

c.t.,girl

Postby Midori » Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:31 pm

I almost always sleep sideways. My bed is pretty crappy too, so I don't know how I manage it. Maybe that's the reason for my insomnia.

Often, when I'm half-sleep in the middle of the night, I end up curling into lotus position with my feet by my chin, which for some reason is really comfortable to me. But then I always wake up with asleep legs. I used to be able to sleep that way too. :< I'm sad.
Midori

Postby klomp123 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:43 pm

I used to have the same problem, until I realized that if I kept my arms by my sides they didn't turn into wood. It feels weird at first, but you get used to it pretty quickly.
If your neck is hurting, I suggest not using a pillow. It feels much better to have your head at a natural angle rather than tilted back all night.
klomp123

Postby aliveinHim » Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:35 pm

OH MY GOSH! I know how you feel! I have a giant stuffed Care Bear that I sleep with. I wrap my arms around him and put my head on his face as a pillow. It keeps my arms from feeling like they're rotting.
"And you He made alive, who were dead in trespasses and sins, in which you once walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit who now works in the sons of disobedience, among whom also we all once conducted ourselves in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind, and were by nature children of wrath, just as the others.
But God, who is rich in mercy, because of His great love with which He loved us, even when we were dead in trespasses, made us alive together with Christ (by grace you have been saved), and raised us up together, and made us sit together in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus, that in the ages to come He might show the exceeding riches of His grace in His kindness toward us in Christ Jesus." Ephesians 2:1-7

http://oribichan94.deviantart.com/
aliveinHim

Postby c.t.,girl » Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:53 pm

klomp123 (post: 1467663) wrote:If your neck is hurting, I suggest not using a pillow. It feels much better to have your head at a natural angle rather than tilted back all night.

o_o no pillow...odd...but i'll try it...

c.t.,girl

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:51 pm

Sleeping on your stomach is bad for both your back and your respiratory system. Why is it so difficult to sleep on your back? Actually the best way to sleep is on your side with your legs curled up a little.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby Arya Raiin » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:38 pm

shooraijin (post: 1467592) wrote:Yes, unfortunately this is a positioning problem. What I suspect you're actually doing is pinching a nerve somewhere. Figuring out what you're doing as you sleep, however, is extremely difficult.

She could be pinching a nerve or she could be putting her arms in a position that they don't get enough blood. I've done that before since I had an odd habit of sleeping with my arms under me. Yes, in a hand-cuffed style... ROFL!

c.t.,girl (post: 1467593) wrote:i do sleep on a twin air mattress...

Well, those don't tend to be good for support... at least that's what I've heard. My dad had one thought and it helped his back. :/

If I'm trying to sleep but one of my limbs go to sleep I prop my back up with a pillow or two. I don't know if you can sleep like that thought. I guess I'm lucky since I can fall asleep just about anywhere.
Arya Raiin

Return to General