I hope I'm not offending anyone...

Talk about anything in here.

Postby TopazRaven » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:50 am

Yeah, I kind of have to agree with Patrick here. I don't want to offend anyone even if my opinion is different and I like to let people know putting them down/offending/upsetting them was in no way ever my intention even if they do become offended.
For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

NIV, Romans 8:38-39.
TopazRaven

Postby Furen » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:56 pm

Though, I understand the reasoning behind it, it seems that if we are always dropping the "NO offence" bomb, in the chance that someone forgets to write it on their post, then people could take it wrong.

I don't see why we can't just assume the vast majority of us won't want to offend people, I have very similar believes, but I don't want to always have to write "No offence" it makes me feel like I'm setting myself up to say something that'll get on someone else's case.

I did not, however say that this is a bad line to use, I'm just stating that it's being overused, and I find that when something is overused, (ie: swearing, the word love) it tends to lose it's potency.

I've seen a few here are using it as a crutch to say something (that could be said in a PM, rather than in a thread unless necessary) that will (for sure) offend someone.

Again, I am stressing that most of us (almost all) care very much for the thoughts of others, and their feelings, but if we have to resort to the "no offense" train, it doesn't seem as relaxed and well knit, we all have (at least some) respect for the boards, and we know that we aren't trying to offend people. I like everyone here, but I'm not going to be sorry for a belief of mine.
And this I pray, that your love would abound still, more and more with real knowledge and all discernment. Be prepared to preach the gospel at a moment's notice. Do you know the gospel well enough to do so yourself? Be ready.
Furen

Postby Nami » Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:05 am

@Patrick: I, in no way, ever mean to offend anyone. I don't like offending people, but like RenRen says, you shouldn't have to say "no offense", people should not automatically assume we are trying to offend others with our opinion. That is never, ever what I mean to do, and I'm sure some others feel the same.

@RenRen: Yes, you are right, we shouldn't have to drop "no offense" when saying something, however, if someone knows that what they are saying will offend another member, they should tread lightly and if they didn't realize, then PM's can be used to un-knot that misunderstanding.
[color="Red"][SIZE="3"]Swiftly Dissin' and never Missin'.
Yours Truly,
Sick of all the BSin'.[/SIZE][/color]
Nami

Location: Sitting in a tree, waiting for you. *sinister grin*

Postby Rusty Claymore » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:47 am

Wierdly, there are types of people I want to offend. If I'm not offending them I'm doing something wrong. XP
But, it still doesn't feel good.
Proverbs 31:32 "...when she watches anime, she keeps the room well lit and sits at a safe distance."
Rusty Claymore

Postby Furen » Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:58 pm

Rusty Claymore (post: 1467165) wrote:Wierdly, there are types of people I want to offend. If I'm not offending them I'm doing something wrong. XP
But, it still doesn't feel good.

I agree, but no one here :P (for me anyway)
And this I pray, that your love would abound still, more and more with real knowledge and all discernment. Be prepared to preach the gospel at a moment's notice. Do you know the gospel well enough to do so yourself? Be ready.
Furen

Postby Dr.Faust » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:19 pm

i get the same way oh here. some time i want to say something but i will have a political root to it and i know i cant say it here but its fine
Check out my boy's art: http://www.arttronik.com/
Dr.Faust

Postby Atria35 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:21 pm

Because I know what I'm going to say is going to offend someone, I try to preface with, "In my personal opinion..."
Atria35

Postby Wind » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:57 pm

Mr. SmartyPants (post: 1466345) wrote:I am sorry for anything I may have said or done which was disrespectful. And I really do mean this. I apologize for it. For some things I've said and done to some people that were not out of love, I'm sorry.

thank you for you apology Mr, SmartyPants and I for one forgive you wholeheartedly and respect you for this post
F.K.A. JadeFox, HisuiKitsune
Quote= MrRogers 03:32 - politics have nothing to do with good pizza

chatbot 02:56 - Wind asks, did I kill the chat
My answer: Yes

chatbot 01:55 - Wind asks, is diamonddragon shatterproof??
My answer: Yes

Wind 01:55 - O.O

Wind 01:55 - noooooooo

chatbot 01:55 - Wind asks, Am I shatterproof?
My answer: No

DiamondDragon 01:57 - YAYS, I'M SHATTERPROOF!!!!!!!!

Sparx00 02:55 - Mean loaf is the loaf of the gods

Strafe 01:09 - I'm a hotcake
Strafe 01:10 - I am a very hot cake

rocklobster 01:17 - "What's the point of being an adult if you can't be childish sometimes?"

Strafe 02:38 - ~EWWW BOYS ARE NASTYYYY!~
Wind

Postby Riggidig » Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:34 pm

Technically I'm not supposed to be typing this here because I said earlier in another section that I was leaving CAA and wasn't sure when I'll be returning, but then I saw this post...

I was recently offended on this site and I was rather shocked, because I didn't expect it to come from a Christian forum. I was so ticked off that I didn't want to have anything to do with the site anymore. I then started reading these posts of you guys and realised, that, while we are all (hopefully) Christians on here, not everyone on here can be expected to get along. I think another problem is that, by nature, I am a sensitive person who can be easily offended, especially when he places his trust in someone. This is probably the reason why I stopped going to my youth church group in real life: Someone there offended me and I didn't bother going back (it's been two months now). No one has bothered contacting me either to ask where I am. This hurts. A lot :-( I guess getting dissed online is as painful as it is offline...
[color="Yellow"]My deviantART Gallery[/color]

[color="DarkOrange"][font="Century Gothic"]"Life is not about NOT getting hit. It's about learning to TAKE a hit, rolling with the punches, and at its worst, learning to get up after a knockout.[/font][/color]
Riggidig

Postby Yuki-Anne » Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:24 pm

Yeah, as much as I'd like to say that my opinions are my opinions and I don't care who I offend, I really do. When someone is offended by something I do I tend to backpedal and try to figure out how I can fix it or how we can come to a compromise. I don't think there's anything wrong with that. It can get out of hand with oversensitivity and all, but we as Christians should be sensitive to each other's needs.

Riggidig, one of the things about online interaction is that people can't see that they've hurt you. When you're in conversation with someone, you can sometimes read their body language to realize you've stepped over the line, but online there is no such possibility. So in some ways it takes an extra measure of grace to maintain harmonious relationships on a forum.
New and improved Yuki-Anne: now with blog: http://anneinjapan.blog.com
Yuki-Anne

Previous

Return to General