Do you think in your own voice?

Talk about anything in here.

Do you think in your own voice?

Postby Sapphire225 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:41 pm

Bare with me...when you think, do you think in your own voice? At first, I thought that everyone did until some of my friends told me they didn't. When I think, I think in my own voice, but apparently, it isn't everyone.
"Because the World isn't as cruel as you take it to be." ~ Celty, Durarara!!

Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you."
~Deuteronomy 31:6

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We live in a fantasy world, a world of illusion. The great task in life is to find reality. ~ Iris Murdoch
Sapphire225

Postby aliveinHim » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:07 pm

Yes! I think in my own voice!
"And you He made alive, who were dead in trespasses and sins, in which you once walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit who now works in the sons of disobedience, among whom also we all once conducted ourselves in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind, and were by nature children of wrath, just as the others.
But God, who is rich in mercy, because of His great love with which He loved us, even when we were dead in trespasses, made us alive together with Christ (by grace you have been saved), and raised us up together, and made us sit together in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus, that in the ages to come He might show the exceeding riches of His grace in His kindness toward us in Christ Jesus." Ephesians 2:1-7

http://oribichan94.deviantart.com/
aliveinHim

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:12 pm

I'm not sure I think (as in, muse or whatever) with a voice, but when I read to myself, I usually hear my voice (or some version of it) in my head. And that voice can pronounce anything, even stuff I can't pronounce no matter how hard I try. XD
Hats wrote:"Frodo! Cast off your [s]sins[/s] into the fire!"

EllaEdric 06:53 -IM SO UNEQUIPPED TO BE A MAN ITS NOT EVEN FUNNY.
FllMtl Novelist

Postby Ella Edric » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:13 pm

I... think i do...? XD
Ella Edric

Postby Kaligraphic » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:15 pm

The cake used to be a lie like you, but then it took a portal to the deception core.
Kaligraphic

Postby Maledicte » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:22 pm

It depends on what I read. One time I read a book and I kept hearing the villain's lines in CRISPIN Freeman's voice, which was pretty cool.
Maledicte

Postby ChristianKitsune » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:26 pm

Maledicte (post: 1466575) wrote:It depends on what I read. One time I read a book and I kept hearing the villain's lines in CRISPIN Freeman's voice, which was pretty cool.

HAHA I've done this exact thing! X3 It was fun.

I dunno, I think the voice I think in sounds like its a lower octave or two than what I usually talk in. It's strange...and like Maledicte, I read in different voices.

VERY interesting thread :)
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
Web-Manga Hosted by: The Project
ChristianKitsune

Location: In my sketchbook of wonderment and puffy pink clouds! *\^o^/*

Postby Sapphire225 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:35 pm

Maledicte (post: 1466575) wrote:It depends on what I read. One time I read a book and I kept hearing the villain's lines in CRISPIN Freeman's voice, which was pretty cool.

Great, now every Disney villian that comes to mind will be narrated by Alucard. :lol:
"Because the World isn't as cruel as you take it to be." ~ Celty, Durarara!!

Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you."
~Deuteronomy 31:6

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We live in a fantasy world, a world of illusion. The great task in life is to find reality. ~ Iris Murdoch
Sapphire225

Postby Okami » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:35 pm

The voice I think in is different from my "spoken voice" (as in, I hear myself speak in a voice recording or video and I don't sound right to myself. Yet, when I hear myself speak, it sounds like the voice inside my head.) The voice in my head can also pronounce words that I otherwise couldn't and is a lot more expressive than I typically am spoken aloud. (I write much better than I speak, and often find myself fumbling to get words that I would know in my head out by tongue.)
~*~ Blessed to be Ryosuke's wife!
"We will be her church, the body of Christ coming alive to
meet her needs, to write love on her arms." ~ Jamie Tworkowski
Okami

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:48 pm

Okami (post: 1466582) wrote: The voice in my head can also pronounce words that I otherwise couldn't and is a lot more expressive than I typically am spoken aloud. (I write much better than I speak, and often find myself fumbling to get words that I would know in my head out by tongue.)

I'm the same way! It's part of why I like text-chatting so much; I can put my thoughts together better.
Hats wrote:"Frodo! Cast off your [s]sins[/s] into the fire!"

EllaEdric 06:53 -IM SO UNEQUIPPED TO BE A MAN ITS NOT EVEN FUNNY.
FllMtl Novelist

Postby Atria35 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:24 pm

My voice sounds like my voice sometimes- other times, not so much. I've actually surprised myself by the voice in my head speaking in an accent out of nowhere. It startled me :) I think the voice in my head is about as verbose as I am, as well as having about the same ability to pronounce things.
Atria35

Postby TheMewster » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:26 pm

I have many voices swirling around in my head, I can't tell which one I think in.
So the poor has hope, and injustice shuts her mouth. ~Job 5:16 WEB~
For you are my hope, Lord Yahweh; my confidence from my youth. ~Psalm 71:5 WEB~
TheMewster

Postby sailorsaturn » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:48 pm

When I'm thinking I usually think with a voice that is like mine but a bit higher than it actually is. When I'm reading the narrative is usually what I imagine the author sounds like and characters are in the voice that I imagine they sound like.
sailorsaturn

Postby Tsukuyomi » Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:00 pm

I think in my own voice, but if I were to read a post by someone I know their voice, I will read their post with their voice in mind xD
Tsukuyomi

Location: I am a figment of your imagination... I live only in your dreams... I haunt you ~(O_O)~

Postby Dante » Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:11 pm

I guess my inner voice sounds different depending upon the circumstance. But after hearing myself on the telephone, I've come to believe that I neither sound in reality like I hear myself nor does the voice in my head. It is, however, "my voice" as I am possessive of it and use it to define my internal self image (and self sound?).
Dante

Postby Ally-Ann » Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:26 pm

I guess I do. I never thought of it before, but whenever I'm thinking about something or reading something, I always hear my voice unless I'm quoting someone. XD
[color="Lime"]My Fictionpress account[/color]! http://www.fictionpress.com/u/740837/Ally-Ann

[color="Yellow"]My Fanfiction account[/color]! http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2401061/ArmyAngel316

My nicknames! [color="Pink"]~*[/color][color="palegreen"]Ally[/color][color="pink"]*~[/color] [color="white"](>[/color][color="Cyan"]Mochi-chan[/color][color="White"]<)[/color]

I like mochi. ^^

I question my [color="DarkOrchid"]sanity[/color]. (._.)

Operation: Blackout
Ally-Ann

Postby Radical Dreamer » Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:01 pm

I sometimes think in a British accent. XDD I dunno why that happens, it just does. XD Also, if I'm reading a book, I'll have different voices for the characters in my head, sometimes based on various actors. Most of the time, though, I think in what I believe my voice to sound like (that is, not that thing I hear in recordings, but what I hear when I actually talk XD).
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Nate » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:14 pm

All of my thoughts are in the smooth, sultry voice of Kevin Murphy.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby PrincessZelda » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:45 pm

I usually think in my own voice. However, when I'm read something that was written by someone whose voice I've heard, I hear it in there voice as I read it.
"If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats."

PrincessZelda

Postby CrystalChalice » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:47 am

Well, I do think in my own voice....sorta. People tell me that my voice is either soft, monotone, or serious. In my head, though, it sounds more vivacious and carefree.
Whatever the season in life, the RIGHT attitude makes all the difference.

"I will lift up mine eyes unto the hills, from whence cometh my help. My help cometh from the LORD, which made heaven and earth."
Psalm 121:1-2

"Though our paths may have diverged, you must continue to live out your life with all your might; you must never consider your own life to be something insignificant, and you must never forget about the friends whom you loved for as long as you live."
The Third Rule of Fairy Tail

"Mistakes are not shackles that halt one from stepping forward. Rather, they are that which sustain and grow one's heart.
Mavis Vermilion, Fairy Tail

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.
Avatar Aang, The Legend of Korra
CrystalChalice

Postby Seto_Sora » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:38 pm

I think in my own voice, unless I am thinking a conversation between two people. If one of those people I am thinking is me speaking then I am thinking me speaking in my voice, but if the other person I am thinking is not me speaking but the other speaking then I am thinking the one speaking is speaking in that one's voice. Now if it is that I am thinking two are speaking who are not me speaking then I will be thinking the two speaking are speaking in their own respective voices as I hear them speaking, probably not as they think they are speaking but because it is all in my own thinking, surely they are not hearing their own voices speaking in the way they are thinking but only in the way I am thinking I am hearing them speaking.

SDG
This

Seto_Sora

Postby Lynna » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:47 pm

I think in my own voice, unless I'm reading what another person is speaking. then I think in what I amagine their voice to be
I Believe in the Sun/Even when It's not shining/I belive in Love/Even When I Don't Feel it/And I Believe in God/Even when He is silent/And I, I Believe ---BarlowGirl
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks To All The CAA Moderators
DeviantArttumblrBeneath The Tangles
Avatar (lovingly) taken from The Silver Eye webcomic
Lynna

Postby ABlipinTime » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:39 pm

sailorsaturn (post: 1466596) wrote:When I'm thinking I usually think with a voice that is like mine but a bit higher than it actually is. When I'm reading the narrative is usually what I imagine the author sounds like and characters are in the voice that I imagine they sound like.

Same here.

My inner voice has changed over the years though, mostly to account for the change in my physical voice, but it nevertheless sounds different than my real one.

Also, when I think about my self in third person and have THAT person speak, it's a different voice - more like my real one.

Anyone else give their self a different voice (than their inner one) when thinking of their self in third person?
- God is always with us, especially when we feel most alone.
http://ablipintime.deviantart.com/
Htom Sirveaux (post: 1435089) - "We should all start speaking telepathically."
Midori (post: 1457302) "Sometimes, if I try hard, I can speak in English."
(post: 1481465) "Overthinking is an art."
Goldenspines - "Fighting the bad guys and rescuing princesses from trolls and all that. "
ABlipinTime

Postby Atria35 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:17 pm

ABlipinTime (post: 1466801) wrote:Anyone else give their self a different voice (than their inner one) when thinking of their self in third person?

I don't think of myself in the third person.

However, I do give my inner voice an 'avatar' of my own creation. I like to use her when I'm thinking about myself.
Atria35

Postby Nanao » Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:35 pm

I think in a voice like mine, but like other people have said, it's not my spoken voice. It's my voice according to me. That's only for thinking though. Reading, it is almost always a different voice. Different voices for different characters, etc ^_^
Nanao

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:38 pm

I do not think in my own voice. Actually most of the time I don't even think with any form of imagery unless I explicitly have to. I'm a very conceptual and abstract thinker.

So if I think about the number "1", I don't imagine a "1" but the idea of one.
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby MrKrillz0r » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:57 pm

I have english me and swedish me. Since I talk so much english online I tend to think in english sometimes, and the english voice I somewhat different from my swedish one somehow. (At least in my mind, I hope it isn't in real life)

And then I have spanish me which sounds like a retard 'cuz whenever I think in spanish I sound like those sound tapes we had at school. (Thinking in spanish rarely happens, and if its does its probably just a really easy sentance since I'm totally worthless at the language itself)

*Note how I used sometimes, somewhat and somehow in the same sentance*
MrKrillz0r

Postby Seto_Sora » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:53 pm

ABlipinTime (post: 1466801) wrote:Anyone else give their self a different voice (than their inner one) when thinking of their self in third person?

LOL well, the short answer is yes. LOL I have several different persona characters that I will imagine or will directly speak in a different accent. Like Fredric Swinehoot, the mad professor, or Flanagan, the "Irish Lowlander", or Roger, the Microsoft India Tech, and Ferdinand the Frenchie. These aren't alternate personalities so much as they are characters I wrote and act. just for fun. ^_^ Oh yeah, and there is the Brit and another one, but I forget their names. Meybe I should ask them next time we all get together in my head.

SDG
This

Seto_Sora

Postby Okami » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:10 pm

I also know that for the novel I wrote, each character, having traits of myself, has a voice that stems of my own. Unfortunately I can't portray that well when reading it aloud to others. :(
~*~ Blessed to be Ryosuke's wife!
"We will be her church, the body of Christ coming alive to
meet her needs, to write love on her arms." ~ Jamie Tworkowski
Okami

Postby Peanut » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:20 pm

Depends. Sometimes I think in my own voice. Other times I think in different voices. Other times beyond that I think out loud and...well...that's definitely in my own voice.
CAA's Resident Starcraft Expert

goldenspines wrote:Its only stealing if you don't get caught.
Peanut

Next

Return to General