New Orleans Catholic Private School uses Corporal Punishment

Talk about anything in here.

New Orleans Catholic Private School uses Corporal Punishment

Postby rocklobster » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:52 pm

Yes, there are schools that still condone paddling. Granted, the St. Augustine Catholic high school has recently gotten a moratorium on its paddling practices, but it's still on the books. Is paddling a good thing?
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby aliveinHim » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:14 pm

Back in the 1800's, kids were paddled in school. They were also better behaved. I've been spanked many a time in my rambunctious childhood.
"And you He made alive, who were dead in trespasses and sins, in which you once walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit who now works in the sons of disobedience, among whom also we all once conducted ourselves in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind, and were by nature children of wrath, just as the others.
But God, who is rich in mercy, because of His great love with which He loved us, even when we were dead in trespasses, made us alive together with Christ (by grace you have been saved), and raised us up together, and made us sit together in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus, that in the ages to come He might show the exceeding riches of His grace in His kindness toward us in Christ Jesus." Ephesians 2:1-7

http://oribichan94.deviantart.com/
aliveinHim

Postby Atria35 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:22 pm

aliveinHim (post: 1466590) wrote:Back in the 1800's, kids were paddled in school. They were also better behaved. I've been spanked many a time in my rambunctious childhood.

Are you sure that kids back then were better-behaved? Maybe they just hid it better.

I'm actually somewhere in-between. Obviously, there should be limits on corporal punishment, and it should be monitored since kids back then did occasionally die from it. But I don't think that an occasional spank would do much harm.

Of course, that could also depend on the kid- if they're in or from abusive home, then you're just enforcing that hitting people and violence is okay.
Atria35

Postby TheMewster » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:23 pm

I think the students can be sent to the principal to be paddled at my PUBLIC school. 8(
But the Bible says It's ok, look in the book of Proverbs. However, I would use this as a last resort only.
So the poor has hope, and injustice shuts her mouth. ~Job 5:16 WEB~
For you are my hope, Lord Yahweh; my confidence from my youth. ~Psalm 71:5 WEB~
TheMewster

Postby Mu Shin Ron Sha » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:28 pm

In 2011, there is no longer any excuse for striking a child. There are non-violent alternative forms of discipline; why shouldn't we strive to first eliminate violence against our loved ones?

My parents used very light corporal punishment in their children's upbringing. This was an improvement over their own childhood (in which belting was much more common than it is today), and there is yet further improvement to be made. Until we eliminate violence from and toward our own families, we have little ground to stand on when we denounce violence in general.
[SIZE="5"]無神論者 ― 知識で身を守れ[/SIZE]
MuShinRonSha Defend yourself with knowledge

神なんていないから「神様の救い」と言う事も無意味だ。
人間が救われたければぞれぞれ自信を持って、過去の迷信を捨てて、力を纏めて未来に向けるべきだ。
Mu Shin Ron Sha

Postby Sapphire225 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:37 pm

I don't see why not, but that is because I was occasionally spanked as a kid. Came out pretty well.

Like Mewster said, as long as it is a last resort with the young when detention and time-outs don't suffice. And as long as they have their parents consent for when such occasion arises. Without the latter, they'll have a full-scale lawsuit underway.

Atria35 (post: 1466591) wrote:Obviously, there should be limits on corporal punishment, and it should be monitored since kids back then did occasionally die from it.

Children DIED from getting spanked!? Isn't that more of the lines of abuse than discipline?
"Because the World isn't as cruel as you take it to be." ~ Celty, Durarara!!

Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you."
~Deuteronomy 31:6

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We live in a fantasy world, a world of illusion. The great task in life is to find reality. ~ Iris Murdoch
Sapphire225

Postby ADXC » Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:04 pm

Yeah, I do believe that it is. My old private school still does that I believe.

"Whoever spares the rod hates their children, but the one who loves their children is careful to discipline them." Proverbs 13:24

Now this is mainly just for children I believe, not necessarily for teenagers which usually is dealt with detention at my old school.
ADXC

Postby TopazRaven » Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:11 pm

I don't care what the bible says about spanking. If you aren't the kid's parents, you shouldn't be hitting them. Even if you are the parent you shouldn't be hitting them. Sorry, but when I become a parent I WILL never use violence to punish my children. I would want my children to love and respect me. Not be in fear they are going to get hit.
For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

NIV, Romans 8:38-39.
TopazRaven

Postby ADXC » Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:14 pm

At my school, they would ask for parental consent. They would not just start hitting the child. XD

Also, you're just hitting them on the butt. There is a way to let them know you love them after you do it. It's what my parents did to me and I forever love and respect them for it.
ADXC

Postby TopazRaven » Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:21 pm

I just don't like it. I myself was spanked as a child when I was bad and I just remember I felt more pain over the fact my mother was hitting me then the pain from the paddle. I wouldn't want to do that to my children. This is just something I'm very sensitive about I guess. I've heard way to many stories of a simple punishment going to far.
For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

TopazRaven

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:23 pm

If they're smacked with enough violence to leave bruises and burst blood vessels, yes, it's going too far. If it's a sharp but quick smack done out of love for the child, I think it's a good thing. But it depends on the child and only parents should discipline in this manner, if it's needed at all. Realistically many children can be disciplined in other ways but not all. And please, there's a huge difference between a smack and child abuse. Don't even give me that crap!
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby ADXC » Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:25 pm

And I've heard many stories where this kind of punishment works well, mine being one of them.

Just because it did not work for you, doesn't mean it that it does not work on others.

When I'm a parent of course I am going to discipline when they get out of line; however, after I do so, I'm going to hug them and say that I am doing this because I love them not because I want to hurt them.

I think it's all about how one goes about it.

Now if a parent just whips their child without giving them love, then I definitely do not agree with that and I also hate when parents abuse their children.
ADXC

Postby TopazRaven » Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:32 pm

Warrior 4 Jesus (post: 1466612) wrote:If they're smacked with enough violence to leave bruises and burst blood vessels, yes, it's going too far. If it's a sharp but quick smack done out of love for the child, I think it's a good thing. But it depends on the child and only parents should discipline in this manner, if it's needed at all. Realistically many children can be disciplined in other ways but not all. And please, there's a huge difference between a smack and child abuse. Don't even give me that crap!

There really isn't any need to jump down my throat. I never said it was child abuse to smack your child, I just said I didn't like it. So don't give me crap about it. It's my opinion so get over it.

[quote="ADXC (post: 1466613)"]And I've heard many stories where this kind of punishment works well, mine being one of them.

Just because it did not work for you, doesn't mean it that it does not work on others.

When I'm a parent of course I am going to discipline when they get out of line]
I can see where you're coming from, I really can. I got smacked on the behind with a wooden paddle and told to go to my room and think about what I'd done. Did it work? Yes. I was hardly ever bad over fear I was going to get the paddle . I just feel like there are far better ways to discipline a child.

TopazRaven

Postby ADXC » Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:37 pm

Oh I'm very sorry for you. I can understand why you don't like it now. That would be very painful and hurt the child more than helping.

I believe that making sure the punishment has love at the end is very much important because then the child can look back on it and see that they really loved them and were just looking out for them rather than just making them fear their parents.

However, when it's just short and BAH! then the child will get more fear of their parents than actual love for them.
ADXC

Postby Sapphire225 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:39 pm

Some people can be easily disciplined by spanking, but leaving bruises and doing it everyday is going to far. If you leave marks, bruises and sores, then you've just crossed the line to Child Abuse. If you find yourself spanking a child everyday, than you definately need to evaluate yourself and/or your child and switch tactics or see a counselor or someone about it.

My dad, in my opinion, was a little bit too strict. Especially with my younger sister. But that is a different story that I don't really want to go into because it will deter away from the thread.

Back on topic, I was spanked as a child, but not often (for reasons about my mother's childhood of abuse and the fact I was a reasonably well-behaved child) and only as a last resort. It is something to never be done out of anger and should only be used in certain situations. For example, I personally wouldn't spank a child for not doing his homework, but if the child were to run off school grounds knowing full well they weren't allowed, I would bring out the belt (or hand...or switch...maybe not the latter, nevermind) if I have the parents consent.
"Because the World isn't as cruel as you take it to be." ~ Celty, Durarara!!

Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you."
~Deuteronomy 31:6

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We live in a fantasy world, a world of illusion. The great task in life is to find reality. ~ Iris Murdoch
Sapphire225

Postby Yamamaya » Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:49 pm

aliveinHim (post: 1466590) wrote:Back in the 1800's, kids were paddled in school. They were also better behaved. I've been spanked many a time in my rambunctious childhood.

They also thought it was fine to keep slaves in the 1800s. They also thought child labor built character and that it was the U.S.'s manifest destiny to take the West from Natives.

What I'm trying to say is the idea of good behavior is pretty subjective.

In addition, slapping a kid in the face or anyone for that manner is a no no. A slap to the face is a direct attack on someone's identity.
Yamamaya

Postby TopazRaven » Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:51 pm

ADXC (post: 1466619) wrote:Oh I'm very sorry for you. I can understand why you don't like it now. That would be very painful and hurt the child more than helping.

I believe that making sure the punishment has love at the end is very much important because then the child can look back on it and see that they really loved them and were just looking out for them rather than just making them fear their parents.

However, when it's just short and BAH! then the child will get more fear of their parents than actual love for them.

Yes, mind you, don't think my mom is some horrible child abuser. My fear of the paddle meant I was normally very well behaved or else I hid my wrong doings well. I only got hit about twice. The one time I remember most vividly was because I said a bad word I picked up from a friend. We would usually make up later, but on the two times it did happen I sobbed in my room alone for about an hour thinking my mother didn't love me first. I know she does, of course and I know she didn't want to hit me. I've always been a sensitive child. Though to this day my mom is very prone to screaming at me in anger if I make her mad enough and it's had an ill effect on me as now I scream to when I get really angry and I say hurtful things to people, including her. It's like you said before I guess some kids can handle it, some can't. I just don't think it's something I could personally do and if I did it would be with my hand. An wooden object or a belt is a lot more likley to leave a bruise or welt even if that wasn't your intention. Anyway, I'm just going to but out of this conversation for now.

TopazRaven

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:01 pm

Topaz, I didn't address my post to you, so please don't jump on me. I wrote it in response to the whole issue, not to any one person (at least not here).
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby TopazRaven » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:13 pm

Warrior 4 Jesus (post: 1466627) wrote:Topaz, I didn't address my post to you, so please don't jump on me. I wrote it in response to the whole issue, not to any one person (at least not here).

My apologies. Since I was the only one here who was against it at the time I assumed it was directed at me. This is what happens when I get all fired up, which is why I'm just going to drop out of this thread now.

TopazRaven

Postby Nate » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:49 pm

Nothing like teaching children at an early age that violence is the solution to life's problems.

At any rate, studies have shown that positive reinforcement, rather than negative reinforcement (punishment) is a better method for making kids behave.

But even if I was in favor of violent and unnecessarily inflicted pain, and even in spite of the fact that I'm against it, it certainly isn't anyone's right except the parents'. Other authority figures have no business doing this kind of stuff. I mean, we all agree that parents should raise their kids how they want, right? You guys wouldn't want teachers to teach that Christianity is fake and wrong in school, right? So if teachers don't have the right to even do that, they certainly don't have the right to strike a child.

It just seems like a form of authorized bullying to me. Like maybe the teachers/principal were beat up as kids and so they feel a need to hurt and beat children as a method of release. I can't see any other reason for it.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Midori » Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:23 pm

I don't like the idea of school staff using physical punishments on students; however, it is perfectly possible for teachers and staff to abuse or bully students without laying so much as a finger on them. Preventing paddling does not prevent all such cruelty.

When you think about it, any punishment is painful, at least psychologically, if not physically. Detentions, time outs, and extra assignments are all very stressful to most children, which is why they are effective punishments. To some people, such punishments may even be more stressful than physical pain. I'm not saying that all punishments should be abolished, or that paddling should be condoned. I'm saying that the issue is way, way more complicated than "physical punishment = bad, mental punishment = good".
Midori

Postby Dr.Faust » Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:54 pm

ha i live in L.A.. I went to a cathlic school(back when I was cathlic) form pre-k to 1st and was only paddled once and I deserved it that time. I think that its good as long as the parents give concent , the paddleing isen't too hard, and only when the child is behaving badly. I really feel that we let kids get away with too much and it reflects in highschool and college the child's later years.
Check out my boy's art: http://www.arttronik.com/
Dr.Faust

Postby Atria35 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:25 pm

Sapphire225 (post: 1466602) wrote:Children DIED from getting spanked!? Isn't that more of the lines of abuse than discipline?

Corporal punishment back in the day wasn't just a spanking- you could get beaten. That was considered acceptable. And yes, kids occasionally died from the punishment meted out.
Atria35

Postby Lynna » Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:34 pm

ADXC (post: 1466608) wrote:Yeah, I do believe that it is. My old private school still does that I believe.

"Whoever spares the rod hates their children, but the one who loves their children is careful to discipline them." Proverbs 13:24

Now this is mainly just for children I believe, not necessarily for teenagers which usually is dealt with detention at my old school.

rods back then were used for guiding sheep. YOU DO NOT HIT SHEEP WITH THE ROD. It means you must guide your children.
No matter how loving your parents are, being spanked just makes you afraid of them.
I Believe in the Sun/Even when It's not shining/I belive in Love/Even When I Don't Feel it/And I Believe in God/Even when He is silent/And I, I Believe ---BarlowGirl
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks To All The CAA Moderators
DeviantArttumblrBeneath The Tangles
Avatar (lovingly) taken from The Silver Eye webcomic
Lynna

Postby ShiroiHikari » Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:48 pm

Lynna (post: 1466665) wrote:rods back then were used for guiding sheep. YOU DO NOT HIT SHEEP WITH THE ROD. It means you must guide your children.

Whoa, this is actually an interesting point that I never thought of before!

I don't think I will be hitting my future children, personally, and I wouldn't want authority figures hitting them, either.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Dr.Faust » Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:16 pm

Atria35 (post: 1466658) wrote:Corporal punishment back in the day wasn't just a spanking- you could get beaten. That was considered acceptable. And yes, kids occasionally died from the punishment meted out.

Thats a good point for everyone who supports copral punishment. the spanking should guild the child it should not be so hard to were it should be abuse and it shulden't be so often. Saying this In my school they only punished children this way when they are fighting,bullying,creating excessive amounts of dissruptions in the class, basicly as a last resort. Now back in the day they would punish you for spelling a word wrong(at least thats what my old algbra teacher said). And I think how truely effective these punishments both corpral and non copral effect the children becuase I've seen many children be uneffected by both form of punishment
Check out my boy's art: http://www.arttronik.com/
Dr.Faust

Postby Maledicte » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:49 pm

Atria35 (post: 1466591) wrote:Of course, that could also depend on the kid- if they're in or from abusive home, then you're just enforcing that hitting people and violence is okay.

Surprised no one has commented on this. We are (or should be) a lot more aware of child abuse in the home. It doesn't help that most abused children are victims of neglect, so if the parent was to have say in the kid's punishment at school', they'd probably just give a "Yeah, sure, just hit'em."

I was spanked as a kid and though I turned out "okay," I made a habit of being sneaky and emotionally manipulative in order to get out of it. If y'all think that's healthy, well.
Maledicte

Postby Dante » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:57 pm

Where is my option for "No. The use of any kind of force to coerce behavior treats humans as dogs, and in children, propagates the conclusion that, 'might makes right'."

Actually - let's wipe out education as a whole! Why should you spend a quarter of your life doing nothing but learning to become a corporate tool?

I support Tyler Durden,
-Pascal
Dante

Postby ADXC » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:57 pm

Lynna (post: 1466665) wrote:No matter how loving your parents are, being spanked just makes you afraid of them.

Well, you're probably correct about the first part, the last statement doesn't sit well with me.

Obviously you did not have my parents because they were very loving.
Being spanked did not just let me know that they were my parents and they deserved respect, but it showed me they cared enough to show me where I was wrong and how wrong I was. Then they would be loving after.

An example is me talking back to my mom. At that moment I could not tell how wrong I was until dad got home and spanked me. I learned from that moment you never talk back to your mom, unless later in life they are completely wrong about something (But that's a different story.). However even then, you should be careful about how you come into rebuttal with your mom.

Honestly I was a mischievous kid. If they hadn't spanked me, I doubt I would be the same. I had time-outs too, but they were not as effective. Now if you had time-outs and detentions that had a greater impact than just spanking, then wonderful! I say that each form of discipline works better with different types of children.

Am I saying spanking is the only real form of punishment? Definitely not, but it is a form of discipline and we should not discredit it.

Also, on a side note, we all received this kind of punishment differently so I am open to the fact that it probably was very traumatic for some of you and that for you it would be best not to spank.
However, for me, of course I never liked to be spanked, but in the end I can look back and see that it was good.

I guess this whole issue is really subjective.
To keep things simple, I say do whatever works.
ADXC

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:35 am

Proverbs 23:13-14 (New King James Version)

13 Do not withhold correction from a child,
For if you beat* him with a rod, he will not die.
14 You shall beat him with a rod,
And deliver his soul from hell.[a]

*Some translations use a softer word, but you get the idea. In some places, that rod is for use across the backside.

Guess the kids will think twice before doing something naughty.

No matter how loving your parents are, being spanked just makes you afraid of them.

Not me. I just knew I shouldn't have done that evil thing.

I was spanked as a kid and though I turned out "okay," I made a habit of being sneaky and emotionally manipulative in order to get out of it. If y'all think that's healthy, well.

Punishment of any sort either makes us more stubborn or it humbles us.
Shao Feng-Li

Next

Return to General