An Ethics Question (My Neighbor's Newspaper)

Talk about anything in here.

An Ethics Question (My Neighbor's Newspaper)

Postby Atria35 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:50 am

Okay, since December, there's been a newspaper delivered to my apartment complex. Whoever these belong to hasn't picked them up- not once. It's been a pain, since I've rushed outside and tripped over them, and they're a bit of an eyesore. The people who are hired to shovel/mow the lawns/etc. pick them up and throw them away once a week or so.

So, since it's been more than three months, and this person apparently has no interest in the newspaper, would it be okay for me to take them?
Atria35

Postby K. Ayato » Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:30 am

I think you should let this person know that these newspapers are piling up. If it is true that there's no interest in this newspaper, suggest that the subscription be canceled.
K. Ayato: What happens if you press the small red button?

*Explosion goes off in the movie*

mechana2015: Does that answer your question?

K. Ayato: Perfectly.

Prayer sister of kaji, sticksabuser, Angel37, and Doubleshadow --Love you guys! :)
K. Ayato

Postby Roy Mustang » Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:53 am

If it is a local newspaper that is free like the one that my town had. Then ther wouldn't be a subscription to be canceled and they would just keep throwing them out.

From what I'm reading, that sounds like what it is. I don't know who in their right mind would have a subscription to a newspaper and not read them at all, your just wasting money.
Roy Mustang

Postby Atria35 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:56 am

The problem with letting my neighbor know about their newspapers is: I don't know which neighbor is getting them. I live in a complex with about 6 other people, and the papers are left outside-outside, not in the hallway.

And it's not a free local paper. It's a paper that costs to be delivered- it's a major newspaper. And since we're a distance from the city, it costs about $300 a year for delivery.
Atria35

Postby Rusty Claymore » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:37 am

Just bother the 6 other people about it. It is a health hazard in the very least, so you have a valid reason to ask around. They might've forgot they subscribed but have a automatic withdrawel setup which makes the paper keep coming. n.n
Proverbs 31:32 "...when she watches anime, she keeps the room well lit and sits at a safe distance."
Rusty Claymore

Postby shooraijin » Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:46 pm

Post something near where the papers are collecting with a phone number.
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby TheMewster » Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:07 pm

Yeah, I would ask the people in your complex. But I wouldn't know whether it's ethical or not to take the papers in and read them. I'd pray about it. God bless you!
So the poor has hope, and injustice shuts her mouth. ~Job 5:16 WEB~
For you are my hope, Lord Yahweh; my confidence from my youth. ~Psalm 71:5 WEB~
TheMewster

Postby ClosetOtaku » Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:22 pm

True story.

I had this happen to our next door neighbor a couple years back. They would get papers. They wouldn't pick them up. And wouldn't. And wouldn't. One of my other neighbors would good-naturedly dispose of them when trash day came. Then that kindly neighbor moved.

So I did what came naturally.

I picked up the phone, called the newspaper company involved, and cancelled their subscription.

The papers stopped coming, and never came again.

Like I said, true story.
"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world." -- C.S. Lewis
ClosetOtaku

Postby Atria35 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:34 pm

Hmm. All interesting (and good) ideas. I'll go ahead and put notices on my neighbor's doors about them- I can't put one outside near the papers since they're all over the walk. And I can't cancel the subscription since I don't know which neighbor is getting them.
Atria35

Postby Roy Mustang » Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:08 pm

Starting to wonder if it was the complex that did the subscription?
Roy Mustang

Postby Atria35 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:54 pm

I doubt it, since there are several buildings, and we're the only housing block that gets it. There's a bullitin board next to the mailboxes- I'm going to ask the manager whether I can post something about it there.
Atria35

Postby Furen » Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:44 pm

If I were in this situation, I'd try to figure out who is ordering them, but if they're not being used, I'd take it, or at least read it, if others get annoyed I'd talk to them about it, maybe if you find out who it isn't, then you can narrow the list.

If they're just being tossed, and nothing else, I'd totally say take it.

But if I knew who it was or what to do, I'd then contact them first.
And this I pray, that your love would abound still, more and more with real knowledge and all discernment. Be prepared to preach the gospel at a moment's notice. Do you know the gospel well enough to do so yourself? Be ready.
Furen

Postby Yamamaya » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:04 pm

Steal his newspaper and wait for him to call you and recreate the "You stole my newspaper" prank.

Lame internet references aside, it's probably best to post something on the bulletin board about it, or ask some of the neighbors if they subscribe to this newspaper.
Yamamaya

Postby ShiroiHikari » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:56 pm

Could it be that someone who used to live there had a subscription, moved away, and never canceled it?
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby aliveinHim » Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:07 am

Yamamaya (post: 1466481) wrote:Steal his newspaper and wait for him to call you and recreate the "You stole my newspaper" prank.

Lame internet references aside, it's probably best to post something on the bulletin board about it, or ask some of the neighbors if they subscribe to this newspaper.

We need a like button for this forum.
"And you He made alive, who were dead in trespasses and sins, in which you once walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit who now works in the sons of disobedience, among whom also we all once conducted ourselves in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind, and were by nature children of wrath, just as the others.
But God, who is rich in mercy, because of His great love with which He loved us, even when we were dead in trespasses, made us alive together with Christ (by grace you have been saved), and raised us up together, and made us sit together in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus, that in the ages to come He might show the exceeding riches of His grace in His kindness toward us in Christ Jesus." Ephesians 2:1-7

http://oribichan94.deviantart.com/
aliveinHim

Return to General