Forgiveness and Witnessing to Touhou Fandom!

Talk about anything in here.

Postby TheMewster » Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:35 am

I don't play the games. I don't want to be materially tied to this series. I'm more into the fandom. I love the music, especially the epicness of touhou vocal arrange. I also love the stories when the characters are just... together.
However, since I feel the Lord wants me to, I'm fasting from it for an undefined period of time. (except for humming or singing songs stuck in my head.). Started yesterday. First 2 days of any fast are the hardest. I think I should get more info especially since they're releasing a new game which we at CAA don't know the spiritual content of. I'm not worried about the Shinto content since I have had to sit through Greek mythology, which in my opinion is just as bad, and obviously I'm still a Christian. I am mainly worried about the WITCHCRAFT in the games. Where can I find advice in the Bible about this specific topic? Thanks and God bless you!
So the poor has hope, and injustice shuts her mouth. ~Job 5:16 WEB~
For you are my hope, Lord Yahweh; my confidence from my youth. ~Psalm 71:5 WEB~
TheMewster

Postby TopazRaven » Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:51 am

What's wrong with Greek mythology? Personally I've always enjoyed learning about Roman, Greek and Egyptian mythology. I take it just as it is. Mythology. Then again, I've always enjoyed learning about other cultures. Any other way I'm still a Christian. Then again to each their own. Maybe I'm just weird. 0.o
For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

NIV, Romans 8:38-39.
TopazRaven

Postby Sapphire225 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:58 am

TopazRaven (post: 1465975) wrote:What's wrong with Greek mythology? Personally I've always enjoyed learning about Roman, Greek and Egyptian mythology. I take it just as it is. Mythology. Then again, I've always enjoyed learning about other cultures. Any other way I'm still a Christian. Then again to each their own. Maybe I'm just weird. 0.o

Likewise. :thumb:
"Because the World isn't as cruel as you take it to be." ~ Celty, Durarara!!

Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you."
~Deuteronomy 31:6

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We live in a fantasy world, a world of illusion. The great task in life is to find reality. ~ Iris Murdoch
Sapphire225

Postby Okami » Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:16 am

TopazRaven (post: 1465975) wrote:What's wrong with Greek mythology? Personally I've always enjoyed learning about Roman, Greek and Egyptian mythology. I take it just as it is. Mythology. Then again, I've always enjoyed learning about other cultures. Any other way I'm still a Christian. Then again to each their own. Maybe I'm just weird. 0.o

I go to a Bible college and one of the basic "trilogy" courses are a set of history - Ancient, Medieval, and Modern. So I went from Ancient Mesopotamia, to Rome, to modern-day history just after 9/11 or so within the timeframe of three semesters. We learned all sorts of mythology, including the three you mentioned.

It's important to know, since in knowing ancient Mesopotamian, Babylonian, Egyptian, Persian, Greek, Roman, etc. mythology really helps a person understand parts of the Bible in context. For example, in Jeremiah when it talks about the 'queen of heaven' it is speaking of the goddess Ishtar. Or how typically in the prophets the worship of the 'host of heaven' is referring to Assyria's use of Astrology as a religion.

So I wouldn't say it's weird to know/like mythology. The mythological portions of those history classes were probably my favorite, and they got me much better prepared for my theology courses because I had that background information. :thumb:
~*~ Blessed to be Ryosuke's wife!
"We will be her church, the body of Christ coming alive to
meet her needs, to write love on her arms." ~ Jamie Tworkowski
Okami

Postby Hiryu » Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:42 am

TheMewster (post: 1465933) wrote:I am mainly worried about the WITCHCRAFT in the games. Where can I find advice in the Bible about this specific topic? Thanks and God bless you!

The bible basically says "Don't touch it with a 10 ft pole." It implies it's existence by saying that people who do it and other people who do other sinful things will not be allowed in heaven.

19 The acts of the flesh are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery]witchcraft[/B]; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions 21 and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God.

Galatians 5:19-21

I believe magic/witchcraft used in a fantasy setting is acceptable, however. It's all imaginary.

As for touhou communities, use google.

Don't get discouraged, I'm sure there are people who are hostile to your theology. Instead, be glad that you are being persecuted as a christian.

I suggest reading these:

Matthew 13

Romans 8:31-39

2 Corinthians 12:1-10
Hiryu

Postby K. Ayato » Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:42 am

I'm a Greek mythology buff myself :). While I don't believe in it (or agree with some of the stuff I know is against what the Bible teaches, specifically some of the more, shall we say, deeper relationships), it's still a lot of fun. My sister took a class on world religions in college and did a group presentation on Hinduism. While she doesn't believe in it, what she was taught helped her understand the Hindu way of life. If you approach your class that way, it's possible you could glean something that'll help you as a Christian :).
K. Ayato: What happens if you press the small red button?

*Explosion goes off in the movie*

mechana2015: Does that answer your question?

K. Ayato: Perfectly.

Prayer sister of kaji, sticksabuser, Angel37, and Doubleshadow --Love you guys! :)
K. Ayato

Postby TheMewster » Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:50 pm

OK, I'm fasting it just to be safe. Might come back someday. Not an official fast, just a period of denial while I figure my life out and test to see how easily I get addicted to things.
So the poor has hope, and injustice shuts her mouth. ~Job 5:16 WEB~
For you are my hope, Lord Yahweh; my confidence from my youth. ~Psalm 71:5 WEB~
TheMewster

Postby TopazRaven » Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:13 pm

Lol, as long as I'm not the only one into mythology then. :D
For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

NIV, Romans 8:38-39.
TopazRaven

Postby Lynna » Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:06 pm

I actually like how I can find parallels to Genisis and stuff in Greek mythology. For example, Pandora, the first woman in a greek mythological story, was given a box by the gods and told not to open it. Overcome with curiousity one day, she did, and all the evil that was inside of it was unleashed on the world. But buried deep in the bottom of the box was also Hope.
Sound familiar anyone?
As long as it's not taken seriously, then I don't have a problem with it.
I Believe in the Sun/Even when It's not shining/I belive in Love/Even When I Don't Feel it/And I Believe in God/Even when He is silent/And I, I Believe ---BarlowGirl
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks To All The CAA Moderators
DeviantArttumblrBeneath The Tangles
Avatar (lovingly) taken from The Silver Eye webcomic
Lynna

Postby Furen » Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:47 pm

Kung_Fu_Master (post: 1465874) wrote:Wait, TvTropes and Touhou are a bad things?

Not necessarily, but TVTropes can totally waste a full day if you aren't careful, and if you've ever played touhou it's fairly addicting too (I can't seem to get onto it, but some friends of mine happen to have memorized where every bullet goes in it, and it's ridiculous...
And this I pray, that your love would abound still, more and more with real knowledge and all discernment. Be prepared to preach the gospel at a moment's notice. Do you know the gospel well enough to do so yourself? Be ready.
Furen

Previous

Return to General