Japan's gracious and dignified people

Talk about anything in here.

Postby Nate » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:26 am

Yuki-Anne wrote:in my heightened emotional state it seems RATHER AWFUL.

I'm not in a heightened emotional state and what he said seems extremely awful to me too. So either both of us are misunderstanding, or what he said is awful. I'm leaning towards the latter.

So now I wish these were invented.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Yuki-Anne » Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:19 am

Hm...
I'm kinda surprised no-one has mentioned the reputation of New Orleans, where Katrina hit. No offense to anyone here who's from or lives in New Orleans, but that city isn't anything close to what you'd call "Christian" or even good for that matter. Mardi gras comes to mind, but there's more. Every big city has it's dark side; there's crime everywhere. Perhaps there's crime in Japan as well, but it's just not being reported, though I'd like to think there isn't.

Let's not get down on "us" "Americans" as though somehow the actions of certain people from New Orleans is characteristic of all of us.

I have a hard time reading meaning that isn't really offensive into this, so I'm going to advise you to re-read this and ask yourself: do I really want to imply that somehow New Orleans, and by natural extension, the Japanese, deserved a tragedy like this more than I and my community do?

Do you REALLY want to imply that you and yours are somehow more worthy of God's protection and grace than the people of Japan?
New and improved Yuki-Anne: now with blog: http://anneinjapan.blog.com
Yuki-Anne

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:29 am

I had to take a double-take just to see why you were all so heated. The post didn't seem all that bad to me at first but it's pretty easy to read not so loving words in the subtext of the 'offending' post.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:14 am

I think he was pointing out that "no duh there was looting after Katrina. It's not a nice place." Waiting for a response might be a good idea instead of jumping to conclusions and getting upset...
Shao Feng-Li

Postby Yamamaya » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:31 am

It appears this thread has turned from a post about Japan's dignity into a..

But yeah, just watch how you word things folks. It can really come out wrong.
Yamamaya

Postby Nate » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:39 pm

Shao Feng-Li wrote:I think he was pointing out that "no duh there was looting after Katrina. It's not a nice place."

It doesn't seem that way, though. He mentions that they're not "good" and uses Mardi Gras as an example...Mardi Gras had nothing to do with Katrina, so he's saying even before Katrina hit, that New Orleans was "bad."

If he was talking about people looting, he phrased it really poorly. And even if he was talking about people looting, he contradicts himself. He says "Let's not get down on 'us' 'Americans' as though somehow the actions of certain people from New Orleans is characteristic of all of us."

To which I say, then why is he getting down on the people of New Orleans as though somehow the actions of certain people from there is characteristic of all of them? That's hypocritical. If I'm not mistaken, KhakiBlueSocks is from that area...and isn't rocklobster from around there as well? I bet both of them would be pretty offended that someone is saying "All people from New Orleans looted and are bad people."

So even if he isn't insulting Yuki or Japan, he's insulting people from Louisiana. And that's just as bad.

No, I'm pretty sure no matter how you read his post, it's pretty rude.

Nate

Postby rocklobster » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:47 pm

Ella, I think you should consider this: in the Bible, Jesus helps two people who aren't even Christian, and they have more faith and trust in him than the Jewish people: the Centurion and a woman whose daughter was possessed. He didn't even have to make a "house call" for the miracles.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:17 pm

Nate (post: 1465805) wrote:It doesn't seem that way, though. He mentions that they're not "good" and uses Mardi Gras as an example...Mardi Gras had nothing to do with Katrina, so he's saying even before Katrina hit, that New Orleans was "bad."

If he was talking about people looting, he phrased it really poorly. And even if he was talking about people looting, he contradicts himself. He says "Let's not get down on 'us' 'Americans' as though somehow the actions of certain people from New Orleans is characteristic of all of us."

To which I say, then why is he getting down on the people of New Orleans as though somehow the actions of certain people from there is characteristic of all of them? That's hypocritical. If I'm not mistaken, KhakiBlueSocks is from that area...and isn't rocklobster from around there as well? I bet both of them would be pretty offended that someone is saying "All people from New Orleans looted and are bad people."

So even if he isn't insulting Yuki or Japan, he's insulting people from Louisiana. And that's just as bad.

No, I'm pretty sure no matter how you read his post, it's pretty rude.

Eh, I dunno. We'll just haveta see how he explains himself (if he's even aware of the uproar he's caused XD)
Shao Feng-Li

Postby goldenspines » Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:56 pm

[quote="ABlipinTime (post: 1465716)"]Hm...
I'm kinda surprised no-one has mentioned the reputation of New Orleans, where Katrina hit. No offense to anyone here who's from or lives in New Orleans, but that city isn't anything close to what you'd call "Christian" or even good for that matter. Mardi gras comes to mind, but there's more. Every big city has it's dark side] You seem to be implying that the disasters in New Orleans and Japan (and anywhere else) are caused by how "bad/non-christian" they were. I hope this was not your intention, but this it what it looked like you posted.
Trials are not brought on people because of what they "do". (if it did, Jesus giving His life for us all would mean nothing).

That being said, I encourage you to clarify your meaning as soon as you can, please.

In the meantime, we can return to the original topic. I love that picture you posted, Kaori. So beautiful.
goldenspines

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:01 pm

Regardless, we should have an attitude of grace and mercy. I think at worst it was just a mistake on his part.
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby ABlipinTime » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:38 pm

Hm...

I seem to have caused quite an uproar... and in such a short time. Allow me to explain myself (if I can recall what I was thinking yesterday). Perhaps being a man of few words isn't so effective.

The reputation of New Orleans isn't exactly perfect. Yeah, we're all sinners. Duh. I'm no different, and I deserve more than a hurricane to ruin my life.
It seemed to me that on this particular thread, people were getting down on Americans. That is, after all, what was mentioned in the first post of this thread, and there was a general trend in the thread that showed negativity towards American response-to-tragedy in general.

Pardon me, but generalizing people in a group is... uh... stupid? Yeah. Look, I maybe an American, but that doesn't mean: a) that I have the creativity or ingenuity attributed to Americans or b) the stupidity associated with certain Americans or c) or d) or e) or any other thing people may associate with Americans in general.

As Yamamaya said:
"I would like to mention that there is no such thing as a Christian nation, there are only Christians who are citizens of particular nations."

We're not all the same. So I sound offensive? To whom? I'm trying to disassociate myself, and the rest of the American populous, from a city I don't view all that highly of (hence the mention of Mardi gras). Several people (and NOT ALL) who came out of there didn't treat very kindly those who helped them much less treat with dignity their own neighbors. At the same time, there were many good people who suffered tragedy and didn't really deserve it. So don't generalize, saying that Americans respond poorly in tragic events like these. SOME people respond poorly, and the news media is always ready to point them out.

I admit, I do sound offensive, and I probably was in that post... to the city of New Orleans. However, I think it's actually you guys who need to do some cleaning up: STOP GENERALIZING!! I repeat myself: STOP GENERALIZING!!

Rant over.
ABlipinTime

Postby Nate » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:57 pm

ABlipinTime wrote:STOP GENERALIZING!!

Several people (and NOT ALL) who came out of there didn't treat very kindly those who helped them much less treat with dignity their own neighbors.

STOP GENERALIZING!!

In actuality, what has been stated applies more directly to the former poster than to myself.

Take your own advice. You generalize about the city of New Orleans but then tell everyone else to stop generalizing? Yeah, that's not hypocritical AT ALL.[/sarcasm]

Bashing New Orleans? For what? Mardi Gras? You think it's a terrible city? Okay, let's ignore St. Louis Cathedral, one of the oldest churches in the United States. Let's ignore the FIVE Catholic colleges in New Orleans, two of which are seminaries. And I'll bet there's even some Protestant seminaries there too, although they're not as prominent there since Catholicism is so prevalent.

It's funny you sit there and take offense and decry people for defaming the United States, when you're sitting there defaming New Orleans. I was hoping your explanation would be LESS offensive, not MORE offensive. Now I'm even more angry and irritated than I am at your original post. At least your original post left some room for vagueness, but this one doesn't. In this one, you are purposely and explicitly insulting New Orleans in the same fashion you're telling people to stop doing to the US.

Pull the plank out of your own eye first.

Nate

Postby Yuki-Anne » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:50 pm

^what Nate said.
I'm too tired and emotionally taxed to be able to process my own feelings enough to write a coherent, calm response.
Yuki-Anne

Postby Yuki-Anne » Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:14 am

Yamamaya (post: 1465776) wrote:It appears this thread has turned from a post about Japan's dignity into a..

But yeah, just watch how you word things folks. It can really come out wrong.

PS every time I scroll past this picture it makes me laugh, which is not easy to do these days, so kudos.
Yuki-Anne

Postby Kaori » Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:43 am

Nate wrote:No, no, that's not what I was saying at all! It came out poorly. I wasn't talking about people, I was talking about culturally. You know, stuff like how if a person isn't Japanese, and they went to Japan and got a job working for Nintendo (or whatever) they wouldn't have a very good chance of getting into the higher parts of the company because of their ethnicity. That's the kind of stuff I was talking about.

Oh, okay then. Can’t really argue with that.

@MSP and goldenspines: Glad you liked it. And although I don’t think anything can really top the beatific expression on that old man’s face, here’s more JSDF rescuing people (because this thread needs more uplifting things).

Let others believe in the God who brings men to trial and judges them. I shall cling to the God who resurrects the dead.
-St. Nikolai Velimirovich

MAL
Kaori

Postby Yuki-Anne » Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:18 am

Thank you so much for that picture. I needed that.
Yuki-Anne

Postby Fish and Chips » Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:22 am

ABlipinTime (post: 1465905) wrote:I admit, I do sound offensive, and I probably was in that post... to the city of New Orleans.
Oh, now you've just hurt New Orlean's feelings.

I hope you're proud of yourself Blip.
Fish and Chips

Postby Yamamaya » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:55 am

Yuki-Anne (post: 1465924) wrote:PS every time I scroll past this picture it makes me laugh, which is not easy to do these days, so kudos.

Glad to hear it. My dad is complete. :grin:

Yamamaya

Postby TGJesusfreak » Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:20 am

Ella Edric (post: 1465483) wrote:Okay, I wanted to clearify: when i said Godless, I meant more like the majority arent Christian. And I'm NOT saying non-Christians can't be nice. But I'm saying that it's pathetic that America is supposedly, "Christian" and don't really act like it. Sorry if i offended anyone. I didn't mean it like that. XD]

Basically this. the rest of the world (regardless of if we are or not) sees us as a "christian" nation. It's kinda sad that we're seen like that.

Yuki-Anne (post: 1465525) wrote:America hasn't been a "Christian" nation for a long, looong time.
Agreed on this one.

rocklobster (post: 1465562) wrote:Nate hit it on the head. Our nation did have a few founders who were actually quite cynical of Christianity. I hear Thomas Jefferson is an example of this.

You should read Thomas Jefferson's words then. But I wont take things off topic. PM me Rock if you wanna talk more about things. XD

I think the japanese are very strong and incredible people. They are a testiement to what America could live up to when we face disaster... I'm just not sure that we ever will.
TGJesusfreak

Location: USA... Earth... the milky way galaxy... the universe...

Postby Nate » Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:20 am

Yuki-Anne wrote:I'm too tired and emotionally taxed to be able to process my own feelings enough to write a coherent, calm response.

I was too but I wrote a response anyway (it just wasn't calm...it WAS coherent though).

And yes I agree with Kaori. This thread needs more uplifting things. I'd post some but I no longer have the source for the pictures I'd post. D:

Nate

Postby TopazRaven » Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:41 pm

I'm going to sound stupid and uneducated, but what is bad about Mardi Gras? I'snt just a silly festivel or something?
For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

NIV, Romans 8:38-39.
TopazRaven

Postby ShiroiHikari » Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:48 pm

People have fun during Mardi Gras, I assume. Well, the church teaches that anything fun is bad, so there you go.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Nate » Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:58 pm

TopazRaven wrote:I'm going to sound stupid and uneducated, but what is bad about Mardi Gras? I'snt just a silly festivel or something?

People drink a lot and women flash their boobs to get beads. At least that's how New Orleans celebrates it. It's actually a Catholic festival that's related to Lent. Lots of European nations that are heavily Catholic celebrate Mardi Gras too. Belgium especially holds Mardi Gras in high esteem, and Germany does as well. Of course, their Mardi Gras celebrations are vastly different from the US celebrations, in both substance and the fact that the holiday is celebrated across the whole country, rather than in one area like the US.

But in the US Mardi Gras is associated with the drinking and nudity, which is why certain Christians get upset over it. Not me though.

Anyway back to uplifting things! A kind anon posted this and I was able to save it this time!

SU-U-PA HI-I-RO TAI-I-MU!

Don't worry, you're alright now.

Nate

Postby Makachop^^128 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:27 pm

oops wrong thread >.>
"We're not gonna die. We can't die, Bendis. You know why? Because we are so...very...pretty. We are just too pretty for God to let us die."-Mal

http://www.facebook.com/ShaylaChan

http://www.shelfari.com/shaylabot
http://myanimelist.net/profile/ShaylaBot
Makachop^^128

Postby That Dude » Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:30 pm

I'm glad to see things have gotten back on topic. And is it just me, or does it seem that people find it a lot easier to get offended and start fights online more so than in real life? Sometimes I feel like I'm one of the few who is more civil online than I am in real life...
I am convinced that many men who preach the gospel and love the Lord are really misunderstood. People make a “profession,â€
That Dude

Postby ABlipinTime » Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:54 pm

Nate (post: 1465908) wrote:In actuality, what has been stated applies more directly to the former poster than to myself.

Take your own advice. You generalize about the city of New Orleans but then tell everyone else to stop generalizing? Yeah, that's not hypocritical AT ALL.[/sarcasm]

Bashing New Orleans? For what? Mardi Gras? You think it's a terrible city? Okay, let's ignore St. Louis Cathedral, one of the oldest churches in the United States. Let's ignore the FIVE Catholic colleges in New Orleans, two of which are seminaries. And I'll bet there's even some Protestant seminaries there too, although they're not as prominent there since Catholicism is so prevalent.

It's funny you sit there and take offense and decry people for defaming the United States, when you're sitting there defaming New Orleans. I was hoping your explanation would be LESS offensive, not MORE offensive. Now I'm even more angry and irritated than I am at your original post. At least your original post left some room for vagueness, but this one doesn't. In this one, you are purposely and explicitly insulting New Orleans in the same fashion you're telling people to stop doing to the US.

Pull the plank out of your own eye first.

PFHA!
I already spotted when I wrote it (at 2 in the morning), but I was too lazy to change it, as I thought my post was, ahem, clear enough. Apparently not.

First, I'm not defaming all of New Orleans: I do realize there are alot of good people in New Orleans, I just don't like what certain people in New Orleans did after hurricane Katrina, and I don't prefer the character of everyone else be associated with the character of those few. I said New Orleans? Pardon me, I had a several nameless people in mind (well, okay so I could include the mayor, but I don't know his name anyways) which I failed to point out. My bad. Yeah, I'm a sinner, duh, I'll repeat that. But that doesn't mean I prefer to be associated with those particular people.

Sorry not correcting my own generalization. *sigh*
Mad at me still?
- God is always with us, especially when we feel most alone.
http://ablipintime.deviantart.com/
Htom Sirveaux (post: 1435089) - "We should all start speaking telepathically."
Midori (post: 1457302) "Sometimes, if I try hard, I can speak in English."
(post: 1481465) "Overthinking is an art."
Goldenspines - "Fighting the bad guys and rescuing princesses from trolls and all that. "
ABlipinTime

Postby ABlipinTime » Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:59 pm

Pardon me, I'm double-posting to ensure this thread goes back to its intended purpose. Sorry for the interruption of the previous post.

God bless Japan
- God is always with us, especially when we feel most alone.
http://ablipintime.deviantart.com/
Htom Sirveaux (post: 1435089) - "We should all start speaking telepathically."
Midori (post: 1457302) "Sometimes, if I try hard, I can speak in English."
(post: 1481465) "Overthinking is an art."
Goldenspines - "Fighting the bad guys and rescuing princesses from trolls and all that. "
ABlipinTime

Postby Nate » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:30 pm

ABlipinTime wrote:I don't prefer the character of everyone else be associated with the character of those few.

Then why'd you bring it up? Nobody even remotely mentioned Katrina or even the US really, until you came in and said
I'm kinda surprised no-one has mentioned the reputation of New Orleans, where Katrina hit.

No one had said one word about it. You came in, said that, and then started bashing New Orleans as a terrible city. Then when you got called out on it, you backpedaled, and then when you got called out a second time, you backpedaled again.

The only person here associating New Orleans or its people with anything was you. So now I'm more confused, because you're saying you don't want the character of everyone there to be associated with the character of certain people there...but that's exactly what you did in your first post AND your second post.
Mad at me still?

I'm not as irritated with you as I was last night (earlier today? I don't remember). That's about all I can say.

Nate

Postby Midori » Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:42 pm

Cripes, just leave him alone already. About half this thread has been taken up by a non-existent dispute.
Midori

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:33 am

Nate (post: 1466143) wrote:Then why'd you bring it up? Nobody even remotely mentioned Katrina or even the US really, until you came in and said.

The OP did assert that whenever there's a disaster in the US like with Hurricane Katrina, there's violence and looting.
Shao Feng-Li

Previous Next

Return to General