Northern Japan hit by 8.0 magnitude earthquake.

Talk about anything in here.

Postby Yuki-Anne » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:31 am

Nate, thank you so much for that information. Kaori's post made me freak out a little because I live less than 100 mi. from the Fukushima Daiichi plant.
New and improved Yuki-Anne: now with blog: http://anneinjapan.blog.com
Yuki-Anne

Postby Kaori » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:54 am

ゴメン、雪

The article I posted earlier was a bit vague; after reading up on it a bit more, apparently “low-level radiationâ€
Let others believe in the God who brings men to trial and judges them. I shall cling to the God who resurrects the dead.
-St. Nikolai Velimirovich

MAL
Kaori

Postby Hiryu » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:18 am

I found this article very informative and useful for nuclear plants and insight about what happened while the disaster struck inside the plant.

http://www.businessinsider.com/japan-reactors-pose-no-risk-2011-3-1
Hiryu

Postby Roy Mustang » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:47 am

Nate wrote:Remember that if worst comes to worst, they can flood the reactors with seawater which will render them completely harmless...the only reason they're not doing that now is because flooding the reactors with seawater permanently destroys them.

I really don't understand why they are not flooding the reactor that is giving them the most problems with seawater. That reactor was in the plans to be retried after this month.
Roy Mustang

Postby blkmage » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:04 am

I believe they are actually doing that now and have been for at least the last day or two.
blkmage

Postby TopazRaven » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:46 pm

blkmage (post: 1465204) wrote:I believe they are actually doing that now and have been for at least the last day or two.

Yes, from what I have read they have been flooding the reactors out with seawalter for the last two days.
For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

NIV, Romans 8:38-39.
TopazRaven

Postby Nate » Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:17 pm

Yes, they've already flooded one with sea water, had been doing a second as of yesterday, and were making preps to flood the third this morning if cooling procedures fail.

In the end, this will end up being another Three Mile Island. The final effect on the world is likely to be similar: no deaths, minimal external contamination, and a tremendous PR disaster for the nuclear industry due to bad reporting by the media.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Tsukuyomi » Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:28 pm

I remember hearing about it on the news yesterday. They even had Bill Nye The Science Guy on CNN to explain things o.o
Tsukuyomi

Location: I am a figment of your imagination... I live only in your dreams... I haunt you ~(O_O)~

Postby Nate » Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:36 pm

Bill Nye doesn't know crap about nuclear science. He's actually completely ignorant of how nuclear power plants work, and anything he said should be discarded since he doesn't know what he's talking about.

Nate

Postby byrocat » Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:44 pm

I think that the seawater treatment is not to stop the reaction but to get rid of the heat within the core before the core itself starts to melt (read Chernoble type event). I don't have enough information on the basic design of the reactors so I can't really speak to the actual purpose of the water.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scram
byrocat

Postby mechana2015 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:49 pm

Last I heard they were mixing the seawater with a metal that impedes nuclear reaction. The core itself has, by all admissions already started to melt, which is what caused the hydrogen gas buildup in the other two reactors and the loss of water in the third. The results will be more like 3 mile island, even if there is another explosion, due to the safety features inherant to the design of modern reactors due to to the containment shells over them.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby Davidizer13 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:39 pm

There's been an explosion at the No. 2 reactor in the Fukushima plant; same causes as the last two (excess hydrogen buildup). If the reactor wasn't totally hosed before, between the other explosions and the corrosive seawater they're pumping in, it is now.
We are loved even though we suck.

Psalms 37:37 (NHEB)
Mark the perfect man, and see the upright, for there is a future for the man of peace.
Davidizer13

Postby shooraijin » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:45 pm

The reactor is clearly shot. However, the amount of radiation that is actually being released, while high compared to standards, only appears high because the standards are so stringent. Realistically, it's a testament to their construction that after such massive damage they are still mostly manageable.

I'm looking into the reports of some cases of radiation poisoning, but I'm having trouble finding them in reliable sources, and those that do report it seem to get it all from one source (a Russian news agency). The number reported by that source is 15.

The bigger issue is low-level contamination from particulate matter thrown off by the explosions, which is why the US Navy repositioned itself as a precaution. Simply cleaning off everything with soap and water was sufficient to decontaminate the ships that were affected.
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby Yamamaya » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:23 pm

Nate (post: 1465242) wrote:Bill Nye doesn't know crap about nuclear science. He's actually completely ignorant of how nuclear power plants work, and anything he said should be discarded since he doesn't know what he's talking about.

Silence infidel or Bill Nye the Science Guy will cleanse you in the fires of destruction!

On a serious note, it appears the Japanese officials are taking proactive steps to check everyone for radition and ensure that those infected are given some iodine pills.

I want to help in some way. Yet I'm not sure which organization to donate to.
Yamamaya

Postby Yuki-Anne » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:32 pm

Yamamaya, crashjapan.com. You can donate through jema.org. These are the people I am working with right now to bring relief, and we've got four teams on the ground right now.
Yuki-Anne

Postby ChristianKitsune » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:12 am

It's hard to discern if anything good is happening over there... and sorting through all the news articles is proving to be very sad. My heart goes out to the families and victims over there. You are not alone.
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
Web-Manga Hosted by: The Project
ChristianKitsune

Location: In my sketchbook of wonderment and puffy pink clouds! *\^o^/*

Postby Yuki-Anne » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:57 am

http://news.yahoo.com/video/weather-15749664/staying-strong-in-the-face-of-tragedy-24526601

It is horrible that this is happening, but there is something really amazing about the people around us. Good things are happening. They are small, but we need to see God's goodness in a situation like this. Trust me, that's hard for me to say when even as I write this I hear the voices of the suffering on the radio, crying. This situation is horrible, but God is good.

I have come into contact with so many new people via the internet because of this disaster. I am unable to leave my home for fear of rising radiation levels. Understand that these are not deadly levels, and so far they aren't even threatening to human health. But everyone is scared here. So we stay inside, save electricity as much as we can, and wait.

One of the people I came into contact with is from South Africa. She asked if my parents were worried, and then asked, "Why don't you just go home?"

I told her, "No way." I told her I believe God called me here for a reason, and I may not understand why this is happening, but I believe God's grace and love is here, and even though I could die, I'm staying.

As it turns out, this woman was not Christian. I didn't know that. But she said that maybe God was already using this situation, because even from so far away, she said she is being influenced by my faith.

It's a small thing. I can't help anybody, it feels like, not being able to leave my home. But God is working. In the midst of this heartwrenching pain, God is working. It's so hard, and I don't understand why this is happening. I don't have answers for people about why God would let something like this happen. I don't even have answers for me about why He would let so much death and pain hit this beautiful country, this place that has captured my heart and my soul. But I cling to the faith that He is good, and He is working.

Courage, Dear Heart.
Yuki-Anne

Postby Sammy Boy » Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:46 am

I think perhaps this is the kind of ministry that God is getting you to participate in with Him during this time of tragedy.

I watched the video from the link you posted, and even though the majority of Japanese are not Christians, I definitely feel that their sense of unity and "togetherness" is something Christians can learn from.

Thank you for sharing.
Sammy Boy

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:42 am

Yuki-Anne, you're amazing mate. Such an encourager and inspiration to us all. I can't imagine everything you're going through at the moment but your faith both humbles and challenges me. Keep at it. Praying for you and the rest of Japan.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby Jingo Jaden » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:47 pm

My money was sent to redd barna 'save the children' They already had a base of operations there and they adapted rather quickly to the situation.
Of two evils, choose neither - Charles Spurgeon.

Jingo Jaden

Postby Scarecrow » Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:24 pm

So... how are the problems with the reactors? I'm still finding stuff dated today that says it's possible or something. Not sure how true that is but anyway. After really getting interested in the Chernobyl disaster and finding out all about that, I'm really concerned now. And too think Chernobyl wasn't as bad as it could have been o_O I've always been against nuclear power just because radiation and such creeps me out and I knew it can really effect the environment but now I'm REALLY against it. I didn't know they effect it like that and for that long. They all need to be shut down...
"Take me down, shake me out. Give me a brain, that I might know You better"
Scarecrow

Postby Nate » Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:31 pm

Sigh. There's so much wrong with your post I won't get into it because if I do I'll be condescending and rude. I'll just simply say you don't understand nuclear power, the fact you're even comparing Chernobyl to this proves it.

Nate

Postby mechana2015 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:41 pm

If you're basing your opinions on Chernobyl you have about 20-30 years of nuclear reactor design history that you need to go read. Also, if you've read up so much on Chernobyl you'd know that it was caused by human error and disabling many of the safety features that the reactor had, something that no sane person would ever do.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby Nate » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:08 pm

Okay, feeling a bit calmer now, so I'll respond rationally. But first, an update as I understand it:

8:00AM GMT, March 15th: The situation at reactors #2 and #4 continues to develop. Reactors #1 and #3 are still considered stable, reactor #2 is being filled with water again, and the fire at reactor #4 is out.

First of all. What has happened in reactor #1 and #3 is a "partial fuel melt". This means that the fuel core has suffered damage from heat but the containment vessels are intact and no fuel has escaped containment. Core #2 is suspected to have experienced minor damage. Confinement on reactor #2 is holding but still at risk, although water levels are rising and pumping is continuing.

Second. This cannot turn into another Chernobyl. It is impossible for that to happen. Here is why:

1. Chernobyl used graphite as a neutron moderator and water as a coolant. For complicated reasons, this meant that as the coolant heated up and converted to steam, the fission reaction intensified, converting even more water to steam, leading to a feedback effect. The Fukushima reactors use water as both the coolant and the neutron moderator, which means that as the water heats up and converts to steam, the reaction slows down instead. (The effect of the conversion of water coolant to steam on the performance of a nuclear reactor is known as the "void coefficient", and can be either positive or negative.)

2. Chernobyl was designed so that as the nuclear fuel heated up, the fission reaction intensified, heating the core even further, causing another feedback effect. In the Fukushima reactors, the fission reaction slows down as the fuel heats up. (The effect of heating of the nuclear fuel on the performance of a nuclear reactor is known as the "temperature coefficient", and can also be positive or negative.)

3. Chernobyl's graphite moderator was flammable, and when the reactor exploded, the radioactive graphite burned and ended up in the atmosphere. The Fukushima reactors use water as a neutron moderator, which is obviously not flammable.

4. While Chernobyl used light water as a coolant (as distinct from heavy water), it was not a "light water reactor". The term LWR refers strictly to reactors that use light water for both cooling and neutron moderation.

The closest thing that could happen to a Chernobyl-like incident is if the spent fuel rods at the site caught fire and continued to burn. This could create large amounts of radioactive smoke, which would be more dangerous that the vented steam because it would contain nuclear material with much longer lives. So far, this appears to have been averted, but the possibility remains.

Finally
They all need to be shut down...

You want to send Japan back to medieval times? I explained in a previous post there is literally no other way besides nuclear power to supply electricity to Japan for most of the country. Shutting down all nuclear reactors would plunge Japan into chaos because there would be no electricity. Are you really advocating setting back their society a couple of hundred years? Are you really advocating completely cutting off Japan from the rest of the world? Remember airports need electricity too to function properly. I'm sure Yuki wouldn't appreciate being completely isolated from her family and friends.

This is a serious accident, but so far it is no Chernobyl. There have been no deaths, no loss of reactor containment, and no release of long-lived radioactive material. But then again, "Reactor safety features work as intended; very small chance of lasting damage" doesn't make for good headlines, now does it?

Nate

Postby blkmage » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:18 pm

It is worth noting that Japan has one of the highest concentrations of nuclear power in the world. You have all but one or two reactors that shut down properly in the event of an earthquake and tsunami. You have one or two reactors, despite getting hit by an earthquake and tsunami and not shutting down properly and surviving a few explosions still only leaking about 1 CT scan's worth of radiation per hour right at the door of the plant itself. That is, despite natural disasters and explosions, much of it is still being contained.

This is in contrast to the oil refinery that blew up entirely almost immediately.
blkmage

Postby Nate » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:36 pm

It's always been interesting to me to see the different reactions to the different types of power when they have an accident. In Japan, you have a couple of reactors that have some admitted problems but nothing huge, and people freak out and say nuclear power should be shut down and gotten rid of.

On the other hand, you have an oil well in the Gulf that explodes, sends oil EVERYWHERE, practically destroys an entire ecosystem with the oil that leaks into the ocean, kills hundreds of animals, puts people out of jobs, and nobody screams their heads off to get rid of oil drilling.

I haven't figured it out yet. All I can think of is "OMG ATOMZ." People fear that which they don't understand.

Nate

Postby Atria35 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:45 pm

Weel, Nate, you sorta answered your own question before I could give an opinion :) Oil has been around for over 100 years, it's familiar, and we know how to handle it. Sorta. Our major association with nuclear power are the bombs we dropped, and it's a newer tech. People aren't as up with it as they are the traditional oil.
Atria35

Postby Nate » Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:10 pm

It may be familiar but I mean I can think quite a few major oil spills that have devastated the environment and killed plenty of living things, and the effects are almost as long-lasting as radiation is...heck, some reports even say the Exxon Valdez oil spill from 20 years ago is still affecting the area there. Nuclear power has had one extremely bad incident and one not so bad incident and somehow this is worse than the dozens of incidents that have happened with oil, and yet somehow nuclear power is worse?

I guess it doesn't help that people are ignorant and think nuclear power plants can explode like a bomb, but still...it's bizarre.

Nate

Postby ShiroiHikari » Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:16 pm

Yeah, let's stick with bleeding the earth dry and having massive, devastating oil spills every 20 years. Nuclear power could solve a lot of our energy problems. OH NO NOT NUCLEAR POWER OH GOD OH GOD WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE.

I just don't even know. I should probably stop talking about it. Let's carry on with the original topic if we can.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Technomancer » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:02 pm

A good site for news and some basic analysis:
http://mitnse.com/
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Previous Next

Return to General