What are you reading?

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

Postby Atria35 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:01 pm

Finished The Jade Throne (still a great series!) and now am moving onto The Other Bolyn Girl.
Atria35

Postby rocklobster » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:22 pm

Tomorrow, I start re-reading Knife of Dreams
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Edward » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:44 pm

Today I started reading Orpans of Chaos by John C. Wright.
[thread=43825]MOES[/thread] One sig to rule them all. One sig to find them. One sig to bring them all, and in 250 px or less bind them. In the land of Mordor, where the sigs do not scroll.

Real men don't sparkle, real men defeat dark wizards.

"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."

chatbot 07:24 - Edward asks, do you ever give relevant answers chatty?
My answer: No
Edward

Postby That Dude » Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:16 pm

Started on the third book of the Sword Of Truth series, "Blood Of The Fold" by Terry Goodkind.
I am convinced that many men who preach the gospel and love the Lord are really misunderstood. People make a “profession,â€
That Dude

Postby ShiroiHikari » Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:38 pm

Picked up Les Miserables again after seeing part of the 25th anniversary concert on PBS. I'm almost done with it but I think I'm going to have to re-read it sometime, because I forgot a lot of the earlier parts of the book. >_>;
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Atria35 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:27 pm

I'm pretty much done with The Other Boleyn Girl- dark, dramatic, weaves fact with speculation and does it well. I admit it, I'm rather a sucker for books like this, and it was done fabulously. A House Divided, and all that! (okay, I know, but that quote seriously applies to this book!)

After, I'm moving onto Snow Falling On Cedars.
Atria35

Postby uc pseudonym » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:23 am

Rafiki by Joseph Shenk

25+ years of collected letters of a missionary who was part of the creation of one of Tanzania's largest churches. Useful regarding church politics here and various cultural issues. Probably not so interesting to someone who hasn't been the places he mentions or met the people he talks about.

The Eyes of the Overworld by Jack Vance
Cugel's Saga by Jack Vance

The later books in the trilogy are more like connected short stories (events along the central journey), and I generally enjoyed them more. Cugel is sometimes called the first modern anti-hero and though I can see it, he's far from the brooding or psychopathic anti-hero model. He's cheerfully selfish, which is really all it takes for evil. Most of the lives in his wake end up destroyed, most dramatically selling a woman into sexual slavery, not because he's particularly malevolent, but because it would simply be inconvenient for him to do otherwise.

Also unlike many anti-heroes, I think Vance means Cugel to be a pathetic character. Half the stories are devoted to him bringing bad things on himself. I wish there was a middle ground where we get to see Cugel go up against another trickster instead of either succeeding or failing wholesale. So overall, though I see how this trilogy was imaginative and influential, I still think Lyonesse is the better example of Vance's writing.

Next up, China Miéville again. I'm not sure whether I hope I can get more books soon, to try new authors, or whether I'd rather get into my collections of Glen Cook and Jim Butcher.
uc pseudonym

Postby MomentOfInertia » Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:25 pm

I finished Terry Pratchett's The Light Fantastic and read Going Postal, both were entertaining.

I also read Dan Wells' Mr. Monster very creepy/weird but awesome, and Garth Nix's Grim Tuesday which was good.
MAL - CAA MAL club - Avatar from Hyouka
"DaughterOfZion 06:19 - forget love, fudge conquers all. xD"
"Written assignments are never finished, only due." -me
-Speak not unless you can improve the silence.-
MOES: Members Observing Efficient Sigs
MomentOfInertia

Postby c.t.,girl » Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:18 am

Gun, With Occasional Music by Jonathan Lethem

and

Stiff by Mary Roach

I'm liking both of them. :> I really love the first one though. I've never read a book with such a futuristic view as this one gives. Very unique, in my opinion.
[color="DarkOrange"]"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things... hey... the good things don't always soften the bad things; but vice-versa the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things and make them unimportant." -11th Doctor

"The advice I like to give young artists, or really anybody who’ll listen to me, is not to wait around for inspiration. Inspiration is for amateurs; the rest of us just show up and get to work. If you wait around for the clouds to part and a bolt of lightning to strike you in the brain, you are not going to make an awful lot of work. All the best ideas come out of the process; they come out of the work itself. Things occur to you. If you’re sitting around trying to dream up a great art idea, you can sit there a long time before anything happens. But if you just get to work, something will occur to you and something else will occur to you and something else that you reject will push you in another direction. Inspiration is absolutely unnecessary and somehow deceptive. You feel like you need this great idea before you can get down to work, and I find that’s almost never the case." - Chuck Close[/color]
c.t.,girl

Postby Atria35 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:49 am

c.t.,girl (post: 1464995) wrote:Stiff by Mary Roach

I'm a huge Mary Roach fan, and I loved that book. It made me think about death in a new light.

Anyway, ended up dropping Snow on Cedars for now, went with The Affinity Bridge since my library had it. To words: Steampunk Zombies. This seems to be popular ATM. But it is an easy read- I should finish it by tomorrow or the day after.
Atria35

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:32 am

Farewell, My Lovely, by Raymond Chandler.

This is good. Really good. Top-notch crime noir fun.
I initially picked it up thinking I'd just read the first couple pages. Then the first chapter. Then I just said, "Sod it," and dove in. Every time I read from it, I can't just find a mid-chapter stopping point - I've gotta read at least one full chapter.
If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Postby bigsleepj » Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:57 am

Htom Sirveaux (post: 1465023) wrote:Farewell, My Lovely, by Raymond Chandler.

I have a deep love for Raymond Chandler's prose, though his plot construction was dodgey at best and sometimes his books are somewhat, erm, of their time. Still, he's one of my favourite writers. Currently I'm reading his book The Little Sister.
Unwise Toasting Sermon

The Sweet Smell of CAA
The Avatar Christian Ronin designed for me
An Avatar KhakiBlue gave to me
The avatar Termyt made for me

KhakiBlueSocks wrote:"I'm going to make you a prayer request you can't refuse..." Cue the violins. :lol:

Current Avatar by SirThinks2much - thank you very much! :thumb::)
bigsleepj

Postby c.t.,girl » Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:45 pm

Atria35 (post: 1464999) wrote:I'm a huge Mary Roach fan, and I loved that book. It made me think about death in a new light.

Anyway, ended up dropping Snow on Cedars for now, went with The Affinity Bridge since my library had it. To words: Steampunk Zombies. This seems to be popular ATM. But it is an easy read- I should finish it by tomorrow or the day after.

i haven't finished it yet but i'm glad i'm not the only christian who's read it. XD; everyone in my house makes me feel awkward for reading it. XD seems like death is kinda the taboo in my house.
[color="DarkOrange"]"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things... hey... the good things don't always soften the bad things; but vice-versa the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things and make them unimportant." -11th Doctor

"The advice I like to give young artists, or really anybody who’ll listen to me, is not to wait around for inspiration. Inspiration is for amateurs; the rest of us just show up and get to work. If you wait around for the clouds to part and a bolt of lightning to strike you in the brain, you are not going to make an awful lot of work. All the best ideas come out of the process; they come out of the work itself. Things occur to you. If you’re sitting around trying to dream up a great art idea, you can sit there a long time before anything happens. But if you just get to work, something will occur to you and something else will occur to you and something else that you reject will push you in another direction. Inspiration is absolutely unnecessary and somehow deceptive. You feel like you need this great idea before you can get down to work, and I find that’s almost never the case." - Chuck Close[/color]
c.t.,girl

Postby Atria35 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:00 pm

[quote="c.t.,girl (post: 1465105)"]i haven't finished it yet but i'm glad i'm not the only christian who's read it. XD]

It's a cultural thing- I will admit to being fascinated by dying/death, and I've done a lot of research on death and funerals and whatnot. I wanted to be a medical examiner at one point, but then I realized I'd have to go through med school.

But it's a fascinating subject, and you shouldn't feel ashamed, since everyone dies at some point. Discovering what happens to people after death is a good thing.
Atria35

Postby c.t.,girl » Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:14 pm

Atria35 (post: 1465111) wrote:It's a cultural thing- I will admit to being fascinated by dying/death, and I've done a lot of research on death and funerals and whatnot. I wanted to be a medical examiner at one point, but then I realized I'd have to go through med school.

But it's a fascinating subject, and you shouldn't feel ashamed, since everyone dies at some point. Discovering what happens to people after death is a good thing.

lol i thought about being that too...but now i write mysteries stuffs...so i wanted to know things so i could be precise about when my characters try to do stuff with the dead bodies. >_>

i quite agree with it being fascinating and a good discovery!! it's just...when i was watching the show Taboo (national geographic channel) they had an episode about what happens to a dead person. >_> my dad called me a sick and disturbing person for watching it. D: BUT I WAS REALLY CURIOUS.

c.t.,girl

Postby Edward » Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:21 pm

I have just started reading Boneshaker by Cherie Priest.
[thread=43825]MOES[/thread] One sig to rule them all. One sig to find them. One sig to bring them all, and in 250 px or less bind them. In the land of Mordor, where the sigs do not scroll.

Real men don't sparkle, real men defeat dark wizards.

"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."

chatbot 07:24 - Edward asks, do you ever give relevant answers chatty?
My answer: No
Edward

Postby rocklobster » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:01 pm

I am currently reading Stanley Kurtz's expose of Barack Obama: Radical-in-Chief.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."

my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby MomentOfInertia » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:08 pm

Edward (post: 1465289) wrote:I have just started reading Boneshaker by Cherie Priest.

Is it Good?
I'm curious.

I finished re-reading Jim Butcher's Dresden Files:Storm Front I had forgotten how *ahem* mature some of the stuff in there was... aside from that a very interesting premise and well written.
MAL - CAA MAL club - Avatar from Hyouka
"DaughterOfZion 06:19 - forget love, fudge conquers all. xD"
"Written assignments are never finished, only due." -me
-Speak not unless you can improve the silence.-
MOES: Members Observing Efficient Sigs
MomentOfInertia

Postby TWWK » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:07 am

I just started Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro. It's been on my reading list for a long time, but became a priority when I realized a movie had been made (starring some very talented actors), which my wife watched without me. -_-'
Beneath the Tangles: Where Manga Meets the Maker

In the colors of Your goodness/In the scars that mark your skin/In the currency of Grace/Is where my song begins
~ "Economy of Mercy," Switchfoot
TWWK

Postby uc pseudonym » Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:08 am

The Brothers K by David James Duncan

When a friend loaned me this book, a narrative of family life and baseball, I sincerely hoped I could say something good about it. But I actually enjoyed the book considerably. Though I suppose it could appeal to people who like family drama, the book gets into religious issues in a very similar way to its Dostoevsky namesake. Even the baseball is a metaphor for religion. The prose is also nice and it's successful in hitting a tone of low key humor.

Perdido Street Station by China Miéville

If you like fantasy or steampunk, there's really no reason not to at least try Miéville. This is the best example of his work I've read so far and thus I look forward to The Scar which is even more acclaimed. He likes to create cities that are populated by dozens of races and cultures and other interesting things. But unlike Leviathan and The City and the City here I liked his characters as well as the world.
uc pseudonym

Postby rocklobster » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:29 pm

Just finished the latest Warriors book, Night Whispers. Not sure what I'm starting next. Probably the second book in Dragons in our Midst

my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby sh51 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:59 am

Currently reading The Sin War: Birthright from The Sin War trilogy by Richar A. Knaak
from the Diablo game universe.
sh51

Postby rocklobster » Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:30 pm

Currently reading The Siege of Macindaw, book 6 in the Ranger's Apprentice series.

my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:07 pm

I finished reading To Kill a Mockingbird and have started going through God of the Fairy Tale by Jim Ware with my little sisters. Some interesting observations.

And I feel the need to say that I'm in chapter 8 of Arthas: Rise of the Lich King and I keep on waiting for Warcraft 3 to start XD
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby Mu Shin Ron Sha » Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:24 pm

I just finished The Greatest Show On Earth by Richard Dawkins.

Next on the list is The Tangled Bank by Carl Zimmer.
[SIZE="5"]無神論者 ― 知識で身を守れ[/SIZE]
MuShinRonSha Defend yourself with knowledge

神なんていないから「神様の救い」と言う事も無意味だ。
人間が救われたければぞれぞれ自信を持って、過去の迷信を捨てて、力を纏めて未来に向けるべきだ。
Mu Shin Ron Sha

Postby samurai10 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:59 pm

I'm attempting to read Les Miserables by Victor Hugo but I'm failing miserably. >_>;;;
"I'm on Aslan's side even if there isn't any Aslan to lead it. I'm going to live as like a Narnian as I can even if there isn't any Narnia." ~The Silver Chair

"You can close your eyes to the things you don't want to see, but you can't close your heart to the things you don't want to feel." ~Johnny Depp

"MOES! Sign up and sig down!"

[color="Red"]@)[/color][color="SeaGreen"]}~`,~ [/color]Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.

Sami-The warrior pokemon

This pokemon is stout in stature, but extremely loyal. it's head and ears make the shape of a samurai helmet. the scales from said helmet can be pulled out and used as kunai.
samurai10

Location: You're crazy if you think I'll tell you where I live.

Postby rocklobster » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:09 pm

Starting Rise of the Evening Star, book 2 of the Fablehaven series.

my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Nanao » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:57 pm

The Travels of Marco Polo by Marco Polo
[color="RoyalBlue"]My help comes from the Lord, maker of heaven and earth.[/color] Psalm 121:2
[color="Pink"]@)[/color][color="Green"]}~`,~[/color] Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.
Nanao

Postby Atria35 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:17 am

Put Affinity Bridge on hold in order to finish Black Powder War, book 3 in the Temeraire series. Have I ever mentioned that I love this series? Yeah. I love this series.
Atria35

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:44 am

the_wolfs_howl (post: 1466337) wrote:And I feel the need to say that I'm in chapter 8 of Arthas: Rise of the Lich King and I keep on waiting for Warcraft 3 to start XD

Lol, I spoke too soon :P The next time I opened the book, Warcraft 3 started. Ah, nostalgia! ^_^ I'm realizing, though, that this book would probably be a lot less enjoyable to someone who hadn't played the game first :/
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Previous Next

Return to Book Corner