We are all old: Anime of the 90s

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Postby Wallachia » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:09 pm

The 90s gave us The Slayers and Cowboy Bebop, the top two in my top five list.

Not to mention Trigun and Ghost in the Shell.

Wallachia

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:23 pm

ShiroiHikari (post: 1464141) wrote:I thought being a "classic" was supposed to be an awesome thing.
I always thought it was supposed to something awesome that lasted so people continued to call it awesome as time went on. Will people call Avatar a great film ten years from now? Probably not. Do people still think Star Wars is great? I'm pretty sure they do.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby Sammy Boy » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:47 pm

This thread makes me feel old....

I grew up watching Macross, Astro Boy, Golden Lightan, Yattaman, Rokushin Gattai (aka God Mars), Gordion and other stuff from the early 80s.

I don't even know the anime of the 90s... :0
Sammy Boy

Postby ABlipinTime » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:48 am

I think the earliest thing I watched was the Sonic Adventures, and that was only because it was Saturday morning cartoons. Next time I watched anime was at least 3 years later in 2001 or so.

I don't feel old. Thanks guys.
- God is always with us, especially when we feel most alone.
http://ablipintime.deviantart.com/
Htom Sirveaux (post: 1435089) - "We should all start speaking telepathically."
Midori (post: 1457302) "Sometimes, if I try hard, I can speak in English."
(post: 1481465) "Overthinking is an art."
Goldenspines - "Fighting the bad guys and rescuing princesses from trolls and all that. "
ABlipinTime

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:06 pm

Berserk

This show is about to get remade, which is an awesome thing; however, it will have a hard time outdoing the original.

You: "Wait...what?"

Yes, the Berserk anime has the glaring flaw of finishing its run without resolving anything. It just ends. Berserk is judged harshly by what it isn't, what is not, in fact, animated. So, in this aspect of crafting a TV series, the new show can easily outshine the 1997-8 version.

What I mean by my praise of the original series is that what is done, what is actually there, is done beautifully The tone of the manga is adapted very very well, and the storytelling is absolutely spellbinding. I pretty much couldn't not marathon the whole thing once I started. The antagonist is one of my absolute favorite characters in all of anime, and I find him utterly fascinating.

In my opinion, despite the inconclusive ending, Berserk stands with Escaflowne as one of the fantasy showpieces of the 90s.

Note: Berserk is dark, violent, contains sexual content and can be just downright ghastly. Those under 18 need not apply.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby blkmage » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:08 pm

An eerily large amount of what you said about Berserk could be applied to how I feel about Kare Kano, which coincidentally is a show from the same era.
blkmage

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:18 pm

blkmage (post: 1464382) wrote:An eerily large amount of what you said about Berserk could be applied to how I feel about Kare Kano, which coincidentally is a show from the same era.

Eh? Kare Kano?!?

Color me surprised. Now I want to see it all the more.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby Nate » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:19 pm

Did somebody say Kare Kano?

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby AngelicTotoro » Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:35 pm

Agreed on Kare Kano,
I also love Saint Tail.
And even though I don't watch Sailor Moon, I love the starting song in japanese and can't deny that it's an excellent show.
(Also, I'm hooked on DBZ Kai, so I guess that means I like Dragon ball z too.)
The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want. He makes me lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside quiet waters. He restores my soul; He guides me in paths of righteousness For His name's sake. Even though I walk though the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and Thy staff, they comfort me. Thou dost prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; Thou hast anointed my head with oil; My cup overflows. Surely goodness and lovingkindness will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever. Psalm 23
AngelicTotoro

Postby Mithrandir » Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:17 pm

I had a post typed up. It was totally off topic and rambling. You know, like something an OLD person would write. So I deleted it... Then I started typing another one, but I delete that one to. So Imma leave this unsettled. Carry on.
Mithrandir

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:04 pm

blkmage (post: 1463903) wrote:Clarification: I would like for this to be about anime produced and aired in the 90s and not necessarily our personal experiences with anime or the anime we watched during the 90s. Hence, "Anime of the 90s".

Yuu Yuu Hakusho. :thumb:
Fics an' pics from the Royal Otaku-ness of Squee

Heart of Sock!

"Those who never know a sleepless night cannot become strong; that is the rule."
Sailor Kenshin

Postby mouse » Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:01 am

The 90s were the best. My love for anime started in the 90s. I loved Card Captor Sakura so much when I was a kid. Never wanted to miss a single episode. :)
[SIZE="1"][color="SlateGray"]Anime series I'm following right now[/color][/SIZE]
mouse

Previous

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews