Northern Japan hit by 8.0 magnitude earthquake.

Talk about anything in here.

Northern Japan hit by 8.0 magnitude earthquake.

Postby Wallachia » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:16 pm

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/recenteqsww/Quakes/quakes_big.php
http://www.thestar.com/news/world/article/952316--magnitude-7-9-earthquake-strikes-northern-japan-swaying-tokyo-buildings

TOKYO—Japan was struck by a magnitude-8.8 earthquake off its northeastern coast Friday, triggering a 4-meter tsunami that washed away cars and tore away buildings along the coast near the epicentre.

In various locations along Japan's coast, TV footage showed severe flooding, with dozens of cars, boats and even buildings being carried along by waters. A large ship swept away by the tsunami rammed directly into a breakwater in Kesennuma city in Miyagi prefecture, according to footage on public broadcaster NHK.

Officials were trying to assess possible damage from the quake but had no immediate details.

The quake that struck 2:46 p.m. was followed by a series of aftershocks, including a 7.4-magnitude one about 30 minutes later. The U.S. Geological Survey upgraded the strength of the first quake to a magnitude 8.8.

I just came across this when I learned that Hobbylink Japan was struck and they'll be closing shop for a few days to assess damages.
Sadly, I was watching Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 at the time [SIZE="1"](No joke, it's sad and I'm not saying it to be funny.) [/SIZE]which resulted in me taking a minute to let everything sink in.

Pray that the people there will recover from this and that there won't be too many aftershocks.
If anyone else can scrounge up more info, please do as I know I don't have everything here.

EDIT:
They were just hit by a massive (6.8) aftershock in Tokyo.

Wallachia

Postby Sammy Boy » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:17 am

Oh my goodness. Not good.
Sammy Boy

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:30 am

I was skyping with my friend in Japan a few hours ago. Her whole laptop was shaking for a few minutes when I was videochatting with her.

I hope people are okay. I read that a roof collapsed during a graduation ceremony and caused injuries and/or casualties.
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby F.M Disciple » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:39 am

Pray for the people in Japan I hope and pray there are not too many major casualties and injuries. Pray also that the Tsunamis won't reach very far. Small islands that are low level in the pacific are at risk from potential Tsunamis caused from this earthquake. Hawaii is potentially at risk, Even People here on the West Coast of the U.S are watching cautiously but no official Tsunami warnings are here on the West Coast of the U.S just to clarify the last statement.
"Its very possible that I could give everything and obtain nothing, But still I have to try."
-Edward Elric.

"If to be feelingly alive to the sufferings of my fellow-creatures is to be a fanatic, I am one of the most incurable fanatics ever permitted to be at large."
-William Wilberforce.
F.M Disciple

Postby aliveinHim » Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:33 am

That's terrible!
"And you He made alive, who were dead in trespasses and sins, in which you once walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit who now works in the sons of disobedience, among whom also we all once conducted ourselves in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind, and were by nature children of wrath, just as the others.
But God, who is rich in mercy, because of His great love with which He loved us, even when we were dead in trespasses, made us alive together with Christ (by grace you have been saved), and raised us up together, and made us sit together in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus, that in the ages to come He might show the exceeding riches of His grace in His kindness toward us in Christ Jesus." Ephesians 2:1-7

http://oribichan94.deviantart.com/
aliveinHim

Postby Kaori » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:09 am

The news currently says there are 40 dead and 45 missing, but as I've been watching the TV, those figures have been increasing every several minutes as more information comes in, so it will probably continue to rise. Where I live we weren't affected, but between the earthquake and the tsunami, it has been a widespread and serious disaster; there have been fires, power outages, suspension of transportation, etc. Definitely have to pray for all those affected.

I hope our other members living in Japan are all right.
Let others believe in the God who brings men to trial and judges them. I shall cling to the God who resurrects the dead.
-St. Nikolai Velimirovich

MAL
Kaori

Postby AJV » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:43 am

That's horrible!
[url=ajvsblog.blogspot.com]Image[/url]ImageImage
AJV

Postby Yuki-Anne » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:41 am

I'm okay. It was absolutely terrifying, but my area got lucky; not a whole lot of damage. Millions of homes across Japan, very close to my area as well, are without power.

However, 95 are confirmed dead so far, and there are still many missing.

Pray for us all. There are still strong aftershocks, and they are incredibly frightening. We are by far not out of the woods when it comes to further earthquakes and tsunamis. Because of further tsunamis a lot of relief teams aren't able to go in and try to help those who are trapped or injured in those areas.

This is a crippling disaster for Japan, and we need your prayers as much as possible. This is the strongest earthquake to hit Japan in her recorded history. Thousands upon thousands of people have been evacuated from their homes.

I will be fasting and praying this Saturday. Strangely enough, I was planning on doing this before all this happened. If you want to join me in fasting and praying for Japan, I'm starting from now (9:30 PM Friday, local time) until Sunday morning (we'll say 9:00 AM). This is about a 36-hour fast. I invite you to join me in fasting, mourning, and prayer for the nation of Japan. Even if you are unable to do the whole 36-hours with me, if you just want to do 12 or 8 hours to pray with me, that would be a blessing.
New and improved Yuki-Anne: now with blog: http://anneinjapan.blog.com
Yuki-Anne

Postby airichan623 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:10 am

Actually, the US Geological Survey is now saying it as 8.9 earthquake. That's horrible!!! I hope my friends and penpals in Yamanashi are ok... I'll have to message them and see if they are alright... apparently we also need to pray that the resulting fires do not do the same damage they did in the Great Kanto Earthquake in the 1920s. I'm sorta panicking here a little... can anyone tell me if any of the aftershocks are directly effecting the Chinese city of Qingdao? A friend of mine is an exchange student from there.

[color="Magenta"][SIZE="4"]愛理ちゃん六二三[/SIZE][/color]

DeviantArt[color="DeepSkyBlue"]~[/color]MAL[color="DeepSkyBlue"]~[/color]Tumblr
airichan623

Postby Kaori » Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:28 am

We must be looking at different news sources, Yuki--the figures I'm seeing were not quite the same, even at the time when you updated your post. NHK is currently saying 200 dead and 398 missing (as of 11:20 PM JST).

I probably will not be fasting over the weekend, but I will definitely be praying.

Airichan: looking at the distance between that city and Sendai, I doubt that they're affected by the earthquake or its aftershocks--at least not if they are all centered in the same place. Just from looking at a map, it seems like the distance between Qingdao and the epicenter of the earthquake is very roughly comparable to the distance between the epicenter and Okinawa (where I live), and we didn't even feel it here.

EDIT: About the fires, it seems that a lot of them were isolated, but there is a large fire spreading through Miyagi Prefecture. In Tokyo, some of the train lines have started running again, which is important because there had been thousands of people standing in line waiting for buses outside of some of the largest train stations when the trains were stopped.
Let others believe in the God who brings men to trial and judges them. I shall cling to the God who resurrects the dead.
-St. Nikolai Velimirovich

MAL
Kaori

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:47 am

Here is a link to NHK's live stream of events in Japan.

My thoughts and prayers are with the Japanese people.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby Nami » Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:55 am

I saw this on Yahoo news, and my heart nearly fell right out of my chest. Dear God, please be with everyone there!

Yuki! I'm so glad you are OK, and anyone else who is on here who is in Japan. I'm praying for you all. I want to do so much more than sit and pray, but I have no choice. I'm with you all in spirit. God Watch Over Everyone in Japan and any of the other places that got struck with serious damages.
[color="Red"][SIZE="3"]Swiftly Dissin' and never Missin'.
Yours Truly,
Sick of all the BSin'.[/SIZE][/color]
Nami

Location: Sitting in a tree, waiting for you. *sinister grin*

Postby LadyRushia » Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:00 am

Mr. SmartyPants (post: 1464648) wrote:I was skyping with my friend in Japan a few hours ago. Her whole laptop was shaking for a few minutes when I was videochatting with her.

I hope people are okay. I read that a roof collapsed during a graduation ceremony and caused injuries and/or casualties.

I'm seriously glad she's okay. It must be terrifying over there at the moment.
Fanfiction (updated 1/1/11)-- Lucky Star--Ginsaki ch. 4
[color="Magenta"]Sometimes I post things.[/color]
Image Image Image
LadyRushia

Postby goldenspines » Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:19 am

I just heard about this. My prayers are with everyone affected by the earthquake in Tokyo and the surrounding areas. :<

Yuki and Kaori, I glad to hear you both are okay.

I have several friends from Tokyo who are exchange students over here. One of then was due to return to Japan today, but I'm not sure what will happen.
goldenspines

Postby bkilbour » Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:00 am

Firs Indonesia, then Louisiana, then Peru/Venezuela, then Haiti, then Australia.... things are getting bad. Gotta keep praying for 'em, and give what we can.
Hebrews 12
John 14
Matthew 6
Psalm 119
May God be glorified!
bkilbour

Postby TWWK » Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:13 am

Scary...the video from this event is just crazy. Like Bkilbour says, let's pray and give.

Earthquake shakes skyscraper
Beneath the Tangles: Where Manga Meets the Maker

In the colors of Your goodness/In the scars that mark your skin/In the currency of Grace/Is where my song begins
~ "Economy of Mercy," Switchfoot
TWWK

Postby Cognitive Gear » Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:33 am

Man, this is an intense earthquake. I will definitely be praying for the people affected, in Japan and in the Pacific Islands and Pacific Coasts, as well as Oceania.
Cognitive Gear

Postby Atria35 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:40 am

Definitely praying for all the people there.
Atria35

Postby KougaHane » Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:43 am

I have many friends on my campus from Japan, I don't think any are from Sendai but I hope things improve there soon. Nothing I can do right now except pray. I'm in one of those moments where I wish I could do more..
chatbot 09:36 - KougaHane asks, Will you be my friend?
My answer: No
KougaHane 09:36 - T_T
KougaHane

Postby F.M Disciple » Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:09 am

Update there are now Tsunami warnings on the West Coast of the U.S.Reverse 911 calls were made to warn people that the Tsunami would arrive between 7-8 A.M but Fortunately the waves didn't come but sadly six foot waves did hit the state of Hawaii. I don't know what the damage is in Hawaii hopefully not a lot, in California around Santa Cruz water has receded in the harbors. Receding water can be the first step before a Tsunami comes. Parts of the docks were crumbling.Some of the boats moorings snapped so a boat was drifting away causing minor damage to other boats no people where hurt though . In Half moon bay California the city has been evacuated for safety measures earlier today. However it should be noted that the Tsunami has not arrived yet so far.Officials are predicting 3-2 foot waves to hit the San Francisco bay area. However Officials are not sure how the Tsunami will hit the San Francisco bay area. People on the West Coast are keeping their eyes and ears open for any warnings of when the Tsunami will come.

I'm hoping That the waves wont hit the west coast/or just small damage and no lives lost.

Officials are being smart by telling the people to stay away from the beaches and have evacuated a couple of cities that are at risk. Pray for the people of the Pacific Island nations and the state of Hawaii and that the Tsunami wont hit the West Coast of the U.S
"Its very possible that I could give everything and obtain nothing, But still I have to try."
-Edward Elric.

"If to be feelingly alive to the sufferings of my fellow-creatures is to be a fanatic, I am one of the most incurable fanatics ever permitted to be at large."
-William Wilberforce.
F.M Disciple

Postby Roy Mustang » Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:13 am

Watching the BBC News live feed on the net and they are reported 200 to 300 people dead. The Government of Japan just release a statement that they fear it could be 1,000 after all of this is over.

Kauai was the first of the Hawaiian islands hit by the tsunami with water rushed ashore in Honolulu, swamping the beach in Waikiki and surging swamping the beach in Waikiki and surging over a break wall in the world-famous resort but stopping short of the area's high-rise hotels, the Associated Press reports. Waves about 7 feet high were recorded on Maui, and 3 feet in Oahu and Kauai. Officials warned that the waves would continue and could become larger, but a scientist at the tsunami warning center said it didn't appear that they would cause major damage.

About 25 minutes ago, first waves from tsunami hit Northern California around Crescent City, CA and officials predicted that waves could reach as high as 7 feet.
Roy Mustang

Postby Yamamaya » Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:25 am

I'm glad to hear that Yuki and Kaori are okay. Will continue to pray for the rest of our members over there and the people affected by the tsunami.
Yamamaya

Postby TopazRaven » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:15 am

I couldn't believe this when I woke up this morning and saw the news article on Yahoo, this is so terrible! I'll admit I've never actually fasted before and don't know what it's about (not eating right?) I probably won't do that because I'm selfish and when I get hungry I just eat, but I'll be praying for the people of Japan!
For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

NIV, Romans 8:38-39.
TopazRaven

Postby Cognitive Gear » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:20 am

If anyone would like to donate to contribute to disaster relief for those in need, you can do so at the Red Cross Donation Page.
Cognitive Gear

Postby Roy Mustang » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:12 am

Cognitive Gear wrote:If anyone would like to donate to contribute to disaster relief for those in need, you can do so at the Red Cross Donation Page.

Is there any other groups that are doing donations other then the Red Cross? Just wondering?
Roy Mustang

Postby Yuki-Anne » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:17 am

Over 300 unidentified dead from tsunamis in Miyagi Prefecture. 275 confirmed in other areas.

In my area the aftershocks are so strong I can't really sleep. We just had one that had to have been at least a 5.
New and improved Yuki-Anne: now with blog: http://anneinjapan.blog.com
Yuki-Anne

Postby Cognitive Gear » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:19 am

Roy Mustang (post: 1464706) wrote:Is there any ohter groups that are doing donations other then the Red Cross? Just wondering?

There are. The Red Cross just happened to be the first to pop up that I was aware of. Here are some other places:

International Medical Corps

Convoy of Hope

Global Giving

Shelter Box (there's no way to donate to help victims of specific events, but they will, undoubtably, be providing aid to the victims of this disaster.)
Cognitive Gear

Postby ShiroiHikari » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:27 am

This is just terrible. :(
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby TheMewster » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:30 am

God bless Japan! I'm so glad you're ok Yuki-anne! We should help Japan physically, financially, and spiritually. We should pray for them and I hope missionary groups can use this as an opportunity to preach the Gospel!
So the poor has hope, and injustice shuts her mouth. ~Job 5:16 WEB~
For you are my hope, Lord Yahweh; my confidence from my youth. ~Psalm 71:5 WEB~
TheMewster

Postby Roy Mustang » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:45 am

Cognitive Gear wrote:There are. The Red Cross just happened to be the first to pop up that I was aware of. Here are some other places:

International Medical Corps

Convoy of Hope

Global Giving

Shelter Box (there's no way to donate to help victims of specific events, but they will, undoubtably, be providing aid to the victims of this disaster.)

Thanks. I also look and local churches here are asking for donations to help out with Japan. So people may want to see if your local church is doing anything to help as well.
Roy Mustang

Next

Return to General