Beards: Manly or gross?

Talk about anything in here.

Postby Koshka » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:44 am

One of my friends said this on the subject of shaving:

"If given a razor and opposable thumbs, would a lion shave his mane?"
The user formerly known as Colonel Sanders

[color="Cyan"]"Be not wise in your own eyes, fear the LORD, turn away from evil. It will be healing to your flesh and refreshment to your bones." -Proverbs 3:7-8[/color]

My Deviant Art
Koshka

Postby ShiroiHikari » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:12 am

I kinda want to know what my husband would look like with a mustache or beard but he absolutely refuses to grow any. Shame, too, because as fast as his hair grows he could have a magnificent beard in like, a week.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby ABlipinTime » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:11 am

Koshka (post: 1464343) wrote:One of my friends said this on the subject of shaving:

"If given a razor and opposable thumbs, would a lion shave his mane?"

"opposable"? Not sure what you mean there.
I doubt that a lion would shave his mane even if he knew how. Plus, manes maybe made of hair, but they are certainly not beards.
This is about as close as it gets (besides a photoshop image) to a lion having a beard:
http://www.gonemovies.com/WWW/MyWebFilms/Drama/WizardLionClose.asp
- God is always with us, especially when we feel most alone.
http://ablipintime.deviantart.com/
Htom Sirveaux (post: 1435089) - "We should all start speaking telepathically."
Midori (post: 1457302) "Sometimes, if I try hard, I can speak in English."
(post: 1481465) "Overthinking is an art."
Goldenspines - "Fighting the bad guys and rescuing princesses from trolls and all that. "
ABlipinTime

Postby Nate » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:01 pm

ABlipinTime wrote:"opposable"? Not sure what you mean there.

An animal species is said to have opposable thumbs if the thumb is capable of bending in such a way that it can touch all the other digits on the hand. Most species do not have opposable thumbs. Opposable thumbs are a signature feature of the primate family, and played a large role in the ancient humans' invention and use of tools.

Of course other animals than primates have opposable thumbs, notably a few marsupials, Giant Pandas, a couple of dinosaurs, most birds (though they're not called thumbs in that case) and even a species of frog.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby That Dude » Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:49 pm

Fish and Chips (post: 1464293) wrote:A good man knows a beard is his mane. It shows, in its growth, his raw power and untamed ferocity, and, in its grooming, his imperial command and stately magnificence.

A good man with a good beard is a scholar, a general, and a lover.

Fish, I applaud your tastes.

Seriously though, I love beards...I look much much better with facial hair. Even my mom has told my that I look way worse shaved than unshaved. I honestly feel nekkid if I have no facial hair. It's gross.

Classy dudes for classy beards!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
I am convinced that many men who preach the gospel and love the Lord are really misunderstood. People make a “profession,â€
That Dude

Postby Tamachan319 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:34 pm

I'm in favor of beards, as long as these beards have been well taken care of by their "owners". :)
My dad has a beard, so I'm pretty used to it. Some men, in my opinion, actually need a beard to look their age. My English teacher once shaved off his beard, and he looked like a high schooler.
[font="Comic Sans MS"]"You can't get a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me."
-C. S. Lewis[/font]
"MOES: Sig. Or sig not. There is no scroll."
According to EllaEdric, my real name is.... "TAMAMAMAMAAMMAAM".

[font="Courier New"]
I love my flute![/font]
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Tamachan319

Location: Someplace, somewhere. I'm specific about these things, you see.

Postby Wallachia » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:19 pm

I'm all for growing beards and nice mustaches.

I'm trying to grow a beard, but it doesn't want to go past a certain point yet. Not to mention when I try to grow sideburns, one side is more prominent than the other and it looks weird... I'm still working on growing them out quicker by sheer force of will.

Medium sized beards are great when you're old, because then you look wise (and like Grumpy Jii-san.)

Wallachia

Postby MrKrillz0r » Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:18 am

One beautiful day, I'm gonna have the same beard as you That Dude.. But until it grows faster I'm gonna shave it off, 'cuz there is nothing worse than "noob beards"!
MrKrillz0r

Postby K. Ayato » Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:40 am

I don't really like beards. I also don't like a ton of stubble (unless you're Clint Eastwood as The Man with No Name). My husband has to remain clean shaven because he's in the Navy but he can sport a mustache. I love him with or without it :).
K. Ayato: What happens if you press the small red button?

*Explosion goes off in the movie*

mechana2015: Does that answer your question?

K. Ayato: Perfectly.

Prayer sister of kaji, sticksabuser, Angel37, and Doubleshadow --Love you guys! :)
K. Ayato

Postby bkilbour » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:31 am

....I miss my beard *sniff*sniff*
It was an awesome, curly mess.
Hebrews 12
John 14
Matthew 6
Psalm 119
May God be glorified!
bkilbour

Postby Sheenar » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:13 am

I had a Sunday School teacher who had a full beard --he said it was useful for catching crumbs to save to snack on later. o.o

I think beards are like dreads in a way --awesome if they are kept clean and well-maintained --but pretty awful if they are not.
"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." 2 Corinthians 4:16-18

"Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves."
Sheenar

Postby K. Ayato » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:15 am

Beards are soup catchers (Firefly reference).

Prayer sister of kaji, sticksabuser, Angel37, and Doubleshadow --Love you guys! :)
K. Ayato

Postby ShiroiHikari » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:01 am

Mustaches are lip ferrets.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby K. Ayato » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:03 am

Not when my husband sports one ;).

K. Ayato

Postby ShiroiHikari » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:45 am

I also recall someone referring to a beard as a "chin wig".
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Peanut » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:01 pm

ShiroiHikari (post: 1464543) wrote:I also recall someone referring to a beard as a "chin wig".

I'm suddenly reminded of something from Clone High that I can't post on CAA for content reasons.
CAA's Resident Starcraft Expert

goldenspines wrote:Its only stealing if you don't get caught.
Peanut

Postby K. Ayato » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:03 pm

I'm surprised no one has used this yet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvElQlGgPcs

K. Ayato

Postby Okami » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:13 pm

K. Ayato (post: 1464549) wrote:I'm surprised no one has used this yet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvElQlGgPcs

Oh. My gosh. Love. xD

As far as facial hair goes, I'm somewhat indifferent. Some guys can pull off beards well, others just...can't. As it's been said in this thread. ;) In general, I've found that bulkier or bigger guys can pull off beards better than scrawny or skinnier guys.
~*~ Blessed to be Ryosuke's wife!
"We will be her church, the body of Christ coming alive to
meet her needs, to write love on her arms." ~ Jamie Tworkowski
Okami

Postby Yuki-Anne » Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:24 pm

That's true. I think maybe facial hair on bigger guys makes them seem more teddy-bear-like and huggable.
New and improved Yuki-Anne: now with blog: http://anneinjapan.blog.com
Yuki-Anne

Postby Sheenar » Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:38 pm

Yuki-Anne (post: 1464583) wrote:That's true. I think maybe facial hair on bigger guys makes them seem more teddy-bear-like and huggable.

I agree with this statement. Makes them seem very endearing.
"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." 2 Corinthians 4:16-18

"Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves."
Sheenar

Postby That Dude » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:06 pm

MrKrillz0r (post: 1464514) wrote:One beautiful day, I'm gonna have the same beard as you That Dude.. But until it grows faster I'm gonna shave it off, 'cuz there is nothing worse than "noob beards"!

I'm tempted to put this in my sig.
I am convinced that many men who preach the gospel and love the Lord are really misunderstood. People make a “profession,â€
That Dude

Postby QtheQreater » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:39 pm

Definitely depends on the person. My brother can grow a full, thick beard in about a week or two, but he wouldn't really trim it or anything (few guys look that great if they don't groom the beard at least a little). On the flip side, my bro looks really weird without facial hair.

I know a few guys in their twenties that look like Nickelodeon kid stars without facial hair. Then there's the guys that look great clean shaven.

MrKrillz0r (post: 1464514) wrote:One beautiful day, I'm gonna have the same beard as you That Dude.. But until it grows faster I'm gonna shave it off, 'cuz there is nothing worse than "noob beards"!

At the university I went to, "No Shave November" was a community accepted time for guys to grow as much facial hair as they wanted without being ridiculed (okay, so some of the girls highly disapproved, but as the guys would say, "they're just jealous"). Sort of like a beard growing contest. I think that if a guy wants to experiment with the abilities of his face to grow fuzz, he should do it, and more power to him. Trimming is a good thing, though, after a while.

It may not be as much of a noob beard as you think...gotta let it grow out a bit before you can tell, ya know?
The sometime President of the Goof Off!

Image Image
QtheQreater

Postby Atria35 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:49 pm

My brother looks better clean-shaven or with a bit of a five o'clock shadow. His facial hair grows really slowly, so he can last a week without shaving. But he's declared that he'll never grow a beard because the fuzz is so itchy he can hardly stand it.
Atria35

Postby Fish and Chips » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:42 pm

The Elements of Style for the Beard Owner.

The essential manual for owners of beards.
Fish and Chips

Postby Mithrandir » Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:34 pm

During the few times in my life when I did not have a beard, I looked really bad - so I always have one now; I doubt anyone currently on the board has seen me without one. When I entered the working world, I began to need to sport a much shorter goatee. And by "shorter" I mean "I can no longer hide a full sized pencil in it." To put it bluntly, my goat in college was epic.

That being said, if the beard is *not* maintained, it's pretty gross. Guys, if you can lose a cheeto in your beard and find it later, you don't have a fashion accessory - you have a spawning ground for the plague.
Mithrandir

Postby Furen » Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:40 pm

Watch Wheezy Waiter and you'll be a beard lover XD

Just kidding, it's up in the air for me, some people look good with one, some don't
And this I pray, that your love would abound still, more and more with real knowledge and all discernment. Be prepared to preach the gospel at a moment's notice. Do you know the gospel well enough to do so yourself? Be ready.
Furen

Postby Ante Bellum » Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:42 pm

And that's why I make sure my goatee is well-maintained.
Ante Bellum

Previous

Return to General