Getting Fit

Talk about anything in here.

Getting Fit

Postby Ally-Ann » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:06 am

So I've started jogging again. I can jog a mile without stopping and I can pedal a mile without stopping as well. I'm hoping to be mostly in shape by this summer so I don't have to worry about looking awkward in a swimsuit. More than that, I'm doing it for my health (diabetes and heart disease runs in my family). I'm starting field hockey again in April, and my dad taught me the awesome sport that is racquet ball.:grin: Anyone else here trying to get fit and/or playing sports?
[color="Lime"]My Fictionpress account[/color]! http://www.fictionpress.com/u/740837/Ally-Ann

[color="Yellow"]My Fanfiction account[/color]! http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2401061/ArmyAngel316

My nicknames! [color="Pink"]~*[/color][color="palegreen"]Ally[/color][color="pink"]*~[/color] [color="white"](>[/color][color="Cyan"]Mochi-chan[/color][color="White"]<)[/color]

I like mochi. ^^

I question my [color="DarkOrchid"]sanity[/color]. (._.)

Operation: Blackout
Ally-Ann

Postby aliveinHim » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:22 am

I run (well, I'm trying to get back in shape) 3 miles non-stop 3 times a week. I used to do a lot more weightlifting when I couldn't run due to a foot injury. I used to run track/cross country but now that I have a job, I run for exercize instead of competition.
"And you He made alive, who were dead in trespasses and sins, in which you once walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit who now works in the sons of disobedience, among whom also we all once conducted ourselves in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind, and were by nature children of wrath, just as the others.
But God, who is rich in mercy, because of His great love with which He loved us, even when we were dead in trespasses, made us alive together with Christ (by grace you have been saved), and raised us up together, and made us sit together in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus, that in the ages to come He might show the exceeding riches of His grace in His kindness toward us in Christ Jesus." Ephesians 2:1-7

http://oribichan94.deviantart.com/
aliveinHim

Postby TopazRaven » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:32 am

I'm trying to exercise for in least 30 minutes a day to get me started. I'm very weak and out of shape so just walking around non-stop for half an hour makes me ache terribly. Even as a child when I was healthier I was a short distance runner though. I can only jog/run up my street before I have to stop because I get this terrible sharp pain in my ribs. xD I've been trying to get my mom to excericse with me, we where thinking of joining a gym.
For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

NIV, Romans 8:38-39.
TopazRaven

Postby TWWK » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:21 am

Ally-ann and aliveinHim, it's great to see that you're committed to being fit at such a young age. I wish I'd done that. :P

I used to work out semi-frequently, but that came to a standstill (besides the ocassional game of basketball) when the kids arrived. Right now, I'm able to have some time at night after the kids go to sleep because I'm not working my part-time job for several months. I'm back to using the step machine we inherited and pumpin' iron. It feels good, and I hope I can stay motivated to keep it up.
Beneath the Tangles: Where Manga Meets the Maker

In the colors of Your goodness/In the scars that mark your skin/In the currency of Grace/Is where my song begins
~ "Economy of Mercy," Switchfoot
TWWK

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:47 am

Oh dear, I started to get into several weeks ago- About 15 minutes on the elliptical and eating salads and lots of protein. Then I worked a weird early morning shift at work (4 AM to 1 PM) and lost it. Then I caught a cold for about 2 weeks and have just been lazy.

Still, I'm trying to reduce my calorie intake, letting myself feel like I'm a bit hungry (Usually I'm just almost dehydrated) and eating a bit healthier. Of course, here I am at the computer when I could be on the elliptical. My goal is to drop about 25 pounds or so. I'm 5'3"- I need to be at about 125 pounds. Sad really, I've kinda given up since 2005 when I moved and had to give up martial arts.
Shao Feng-Li

Postby Nami » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:00 am

I am, I've been doing so since the beginning of February. I dance DDR on my PS2 for around 2 hours. I burn 500 to 600 calories a day. ^_^ I lost it for a week thanks to my period. But I'm getting back into it. And I think, I'm just going to have to cut out almost all sweets unless they are minor. Sweets damage my face too (my acne acts up when I eat/drink anything sweet) so coffee is my new drug for that. ^_^
[color="Red"][SIZE="3"]Swiftly Dissin' and never Missin'.
Yours Truly,
Sick of all the BSin'.[/SIZE][/color]
Nami

Location: Sitting in a tree, waiting for you. *sinister grin*

Postby aliveinHim » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:41 am

I'm 5'5 and 130 lbs. In the summer, I'm only about 125 lbs. Not only do I run (in the summer, I run 5 miles everyday but I'm not in good enough shape to do that anymore), I also go to the pool all the time. I hate lap swimming but 3 hours of non-stop sharks and minnows is definately a workout. I hate the way I look in the winter because I'm not as tight nor tan.
"And you He made alive, who were dead in trespasses and sins, in which you once walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit who now works in the sons of disobedience, among whom also we all once conducted ourselves in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind, and were by nature children of wrath, just as the others.
But God, who is rich in mercy, because of His great love with which He loved us, even when we were dead in trespasses, made us alive together with Christ (by grace you have been saved), and raised us up together, and made us sit together in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus, that in the ages to come He might show the exceeding riches of His grace in His kindness toward us in Christ Jesus." Ephesians 2:1-7

aliveinHim

Postby ShiroiHikari » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:52 am

Just be sure to do these things because it's what you want for yourself, and not to please other people or to fit into a certain image. :>
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby aliveinHim » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:00 pm

I do it so I can be healthy.

aliveinHim

Postby TopazRaven » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:08 pm

I try to be healthy, but I just like junk food to much. My downfall no doubt. I'm eating those yummy cheesy goldish crackers as we speak. In least I still eat my fruits, veggies and wheat products. xD
For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

TopazRaven

Postby Nate » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:11 pm

I've given up on eating healthy. I bought some V8 and every time I drank it, it would give me a massive splitting headache. I'm healthier without eating vegetables apparently, so looks like I'm sticking to microwave dinners and junk food.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby TopazRaven » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:20 pm

Me and my mother have been trying to have somewhat healthier dinners in least. My problem is like candy, chocolate, cake, cupcakes, ice cream, banana bread, cookies, cheese burgers, tacos, cheese in general....the list goes on, way to much. I'm really surprised I still only way just 118 pounds. Hm, well the last time I was at the doctors in least. Might have gained more by for all I know. 0.o I do love fruits, veggies, wheat bread and pasta and certain nuts so I still have some healthy stuff! Whoo!

TopazRaven

Postby Nate » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:23 pm

Why am I even posting in this thread?

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby aliveinHim » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:28 pm

I love junk food. At a young age, my mommy taught us all to shun junk food and fed us healthy food. That doesn't mean we don't have junk food occasionally. We eat dessert almost every night. Mommy cooks for us every night. She is the best cook ever. My sisters and I also cook from scratch. We eat a lot of fresh fruits and vegetables. My mommy's friends all wonder why she's 5'3 and is only 120 pounds even though she's had 5 kids. She and daddy were the ones who got me into running. I feel bad for slacking though.

aliveinHim

Postby Ally-Ann » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:41 pm

About a year and ahalf ago, maybe more, I was about 5'1-5'2, could jog a mile, and finally made it to 137 lbs. Then we went to Michigan, I got terrible allergies to the point where I couldn't run, the doc gave me steroids, I got a ravenous appetite from them, my mom wouldn't let me run it off, and I've been lazy ever since. So, yeah. Trying to lose at least 30 lbs by summer.
[color="Lime"]My Fictionpress account[/color]! http://www.fictionpress.com/u/740837/Ally-Ann

[color="Yellow"]My Fanfiction account[/color]! http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2401061/ArmyAngel316

My nicknames! [color="Pink"]~*[/color][color="palegreen"]Ally[/color][color="pink"]*~[/color] [color="white"](>[/color][color="Cyan"]Mochi-chan[/color][color="White"]<)[/color]

I like mochi. ^^

I question my [color="DarkOrchid"]sanity[/color]. (._.)

Operation: Blackout
Ally-Ann

Postby Jingo Jaden » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:11 pm

Heh, I managed to gain an unfortunate 30 pounds in a stressful year. I had two strict months of dieting/ 1 hour training each day in which I lost 20 of them. Then, I simply continued the diet and lost ten more. I quit the diet, almost certain that I'd gain some weight which I really would not mind. Turns out, since I quit drinking soda, I lost four more pounds doing absolutely nothing to deserve it. Right now, I am trying to stabilize the weight loss as I am pretty much at the ideal BMI.
Of two evils, choose neither - Charles Spurgeon.

Jingo Jaden

Postby aliveinHim » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:18 pm

I gained a ton of weight during the cross country season a few years ago. I didn't look bulky but I tend to eat more during the running season.

aliveinHim

Postby Yuki-Anne » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:54 pm

I need to start running again. My knees hurt when I don't run. It's weird, but I think it has to do with my back issues. Running stretches out my back and gets some kinks worked out so that my knees can function properly, I guess. It's weird.

3 miles 3 times a week is actually my goal. I was running over a mile nonstop pretty regularly but then the weather got cold and I got lazy. *sigh*

I fully intend to do it today, though; the weather is beautiful and I think I'll have time. Plus, my weight hasn't been going anywhere lately, which is irritating. I've lost five pounds this year, which is great, except that I lost it all in January and I've been stuck ever since.
New and improved Yuki-Anne: now with blog: http://anneinjapan.blog.com
Yuki-Anne

Postby Sammy Boy » Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:03 pm

It's good that there's a getting fit thread, because I have a question about toning.

I am not overweight, but I would like to be stronger (not bulked up, just with stronger muscles).

What kind of exercises could you recommend for strengthening the abs? I used to do sit-ups everyday, but I found I had to do heaps over a year to see any difference. I'm just wondering if there are more effective exercises for this?

I'd also like to improve my cardio. Apart from running, do you recommend any other types of exercises?

Thanks. :)
Sammy Boy

Postby Rusty Claymore » Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:36 pm

I practice martial arts and run. What you eat is most important, having weight problems in my family has resulted in my learning a lot from some of our friends who really research this topic. Smaller portions relative to your daily routine of physical activity(basically if you work in the field or something that requires strenuos physical activities) don't start eating off of postage stamps. In fact, never eat off postage stamps. (I'm refering to stupidly small portions) Starving yourself is a good way to increase your fat content, since your body knows it needs to store food because a shortage. Then just try to eat things as close to their original state as possible, and eat a wide variety of meats, fruits, veggies, dairy, and breads. As someone who not only eats well, but also likes processed and fast foods every once in a while, I would recommend avoiding the organic craze and instead base your diet off your wallet. If you can afford organic prices and feal the need, feel free, but it costs a lot. Well, in Alaska anyways. If you live somewhere where you can easily grow fruits and veggies, that's always the best. n.n Growing things is hard when you have 7-9 months of winterishness a year. XP

@Sammy: For abs, supine bicycles work well, basically you get into a sit-up position laying on the ground with your legs bent and in the air and your arms behind your head. Then bring one knee "up" while bringing the opposite elbow across to meet in the middle, then switch sides. Just don't pull on your neck. It's a military excercise so I'm sure you'll be able to find a video demo. I may have the name wrong too... XP

As for cardio, I think swimming may be one of the best ways to improve that. But that could have been aerobic... Anyways, cycling, swimming, and martial arts(yeahyeah, I'm biased. XD) if done with commitment are great.
Proverbs 31:32 "...when she watches anime, she keeps the room well lit and sits at a safe distance."
Rusty Claymore

Postby ShiroiHikari » Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:41 pm

Rusty Claymore (post: 1464458) wrote:I practice martial arts and run. What you eat is most important, having weight problems in my family has resulted in my learning a lot from some of our friends who really research this topic. Smaller portions relative to your daily routine of physical activity(basically if you work in the field or something that requires strenuos physical activities) don't start eating off of postage stamps. In fact, never eat off postage stamps. (I'm refering to stupidly small portions) Starving yourself is a good way to increase your fat content, since your body knows it needs to store food because a shortage. Then just try to eat things as close to their original state as possible, and eat a wide variety of meats, fruits, veggies, dairy, and breads. As someone who not only eats well, but also likes processed and fast foods every once in a while, I would recommend avoiding the organic craze and instead base your diet off your wallet. If you can afford organic prices and feal the need, feel free, but it costs a lot. Well, in Alaska anyways. If you live somewhere where you can easily grow fruits and veggies, that's always the best. n.n Growing things is hard when you have 7-9 months of winterishness a year. XP

I think this is good advice. Don't fall into the trap of "OH NO I ATE JUNK I HAVE TO GO WORK IT OFF NOW OR I WILL DIEEEE". It's okay to eat junk sometimes. A balanced diet is what's most important. And yeah, organic is nice, but be practical about it. In my area, organic veggies are smaller and more expensive, so I feel it's not really worth it.

Edit: Growing things is also hard when you live in an apartment with no yard, a small porch, and all your windows face the north. >_<
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Sammy Boy » Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:49 pm

Rusty Claymore (post: 1464458) wrote:@Sammy: For abs, supine bicycles work well, basically you get into a sit-up position laying on the ground with your legs bent and in the air and your arms behind your head. Then bring one knee "up" while bringing the opposite elbow across to meet in the middle, then switch sides. Just don't pull on your neck. It's a military excercise so I'm sure you'll be able to find a video demo. I may have the name wrong too... XP

As for cardio, I think swimming may be one of the best ways to improve that. But that could have been aerobic... Anyways, cycling, swimming, and martial arts(yeahyeah, I'm biased. XD) if done with commitment are great.

Thanks for the tip. :thumb:

Gonna check it out once this flu / cold virus leaves my system (probably not a good idea to exercise when sick).
Sammy Boy

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:05 pm

Regarding food...

I haven't done a lot of research, but I think eating healthy can also be very easy on the wallet. Eggs, chicken, sandwiches with good meats and veggies are all really easy and tastes better than prepackaged stuff- and a lot cheaper.

Like, for the price of one Subway meal I can buy a few things to last a week for lunches at work.
Shao Feng-Li

Postby christianfriend » Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:26 pm

Nami (post: 1464357) wrote:I dance DDR on my PS2 for around 2 hours

That's so funny, because I recently hunted down my DDR game and started playing to get some fun exercise on rainy days...which is a lot of the time here in Oregon, lol. It's great fun and a nice little workout for now. But I am looking to get an exercise bike soon since that helped me loose a lot of weight last summer and helped me stay fit. :D I also am doing Yoga-like exercises in the morning to work my middle section since DDR and riding an exercise bike doesn't do a whole lot for that area.
[font="Lucida Console"][align=center]“The [color="Magenta"]best[/color] kind of [color="Magenta"]friend[/color] is the kind you can sit on a porch and swing with, never say a word, and then walk away feeling like it was the best conversation you've ever had.â€
christianfriend

Postby Arya Raiin » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:02 pm

Let's see... I don't walk much. I'll admit it. XD

I do all sorts of floor exercises from sits-ups to jumping jacks to yoga and weight lifting for about 15 minutes. I'm one of the most flexible people I know. I need to loose another 50 lbs. to be at my ideal weight. I eat about 12,000-13,000 calories a day I believe... well except on Sundays. ^.^;
Arya Raiin

Postby ShiroiHikari » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:16 pm

You mean thirteen hundred calories...? Thirteen thousand is...more than anyone could reasonably consume in a day.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Furen » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:59 pm

I should start but I'm too lazy, and if this last week is similar to my work schedule constantlly, I'll be good doing that.
And this I pray, that your love would abound still, more and more with real knowledge and all discernment. Be prepared to preach the gospel at a moment's notice. Do you know the gospel well enough to do so yourself? Be ready.
Furen

Postby Dante » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:47 pm

I decide to start walking more and what happens? The temperature decides to hit the nineties. We've got forecasts up to 96 (and that's always low) and frankly - it's too darn soon. Bring on the next ice age!
Dante

Postby aliveinHim » Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:36 am

I had an excellent workout! When I was babysitting my associate's pastor kids, they asked for piggy back rides but instead of me walking, they wanted me to hop. That was sooo tiring.

aliveinHim

Postby ShiroiHikari » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:20 am

I've actually been considering giving yoga a try. It's apparently a pretty good way to get in shape and it's not really high impact like running or aerobics (I have crappy knees). Anyone here have any experience with it?
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Next

Return to General