I'm Going on a Gaming Fast!

Talk about anything in here.

I'm Going on a Gaming Fast!

Postby TheMewster » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:07 pm

Konichiwa, minna-chan! (I hope my limited Japanese was ok.)

Anyway, I feel like gaming has taken up too much of my time, I noticed that I don't have as much interest in drawing as I used to, and I also noticed that I have little to no self-control with gaming, so I'm fasting from video/online games until Sunday! However, I can't do this alone. Got my mom/grandma as accountability partners/encouragement and Christian Anime Alliance to cheer me on!
Any encouragement? Ridicule? Ideas for things to do besides gaming? Funny stories about your fasts?
Also, no guarantees, but I may post 'Faster's Diary' posts about my progress in this gaming fast. Here's mine for today so far.

Day 1-
Decided to fast from gaming this morning. Felt really excited about it, a possible sign from the Lord that this was something I needed to do. :thumbsup: Called granny, who said she would help me however she can. Mom said she would help too.
As the school day went on, I felt a little down and wanted nothing more than to game. Have a friend I meant to tell about my fast, but didn't. Oh well.
This afternoon, when I got home, dad had my shelf fixed and later on, put up my new corkboard, so I have something to do. Also blocked my gaming sites. Came close to breaking my fast by testing the sites, but after 2 tries they were blocked, and I didn't actually play the games, just went to their pages, so nyah. Did homework, and I'm about to do some online work. Need to stop using so many sentence fragments, but is too lazy, oh well. :sweat: :grin:
After I get my work done, I plan to get my figurines organized and do some drawings.

Again, need some encouragement and cheering on! I'll try to keep you updated! God bless you!
So the poor has hope, and injustice shuts her mouth. ~Job 5:16 WEB~
For you are my hope, Lord Yahweh; my confidence from my youth. ~Psalm 71:5 WEB~
TheMewster

Postby AJV » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:29 pm

Wow! Me too!
I just started today actually (Ash Wednesday) and I plan to fast for all 40 days of Lent
Here's an excerpt from my latest blog post about it
Well for what I'm fasting (sacrificing) this Lent is using my XBox.
I gotta admit, the idea of doing it at first was kinda depressing because it's something I like to do to unwind and most of my friends are on there so I'm gonna miss playing with them.
But that is the whole point of Lent though.
Because I gotta show God that I love Him more then playing on my XBox.
Also I guess it'll be a test of will power.
I'm gonna try my best with God's help.

Also before the above I wrote about what Lent is (as best as I could) and if your curious, just click on the link in my sig.

Anyway, I'll be cheering you on too! :grin:
[url=ajvsblog.blogspot.com]Image[/url]ImageImage
AJV

Postby Nate » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:32 pm

I actually should play MORE video games. It'd keep me from getting in trouble online. :\

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby TheMewster » Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:09 pm

Lol Nate! And thanks for the encouragement! There's no way I'd make it all through Lent, nor did I realize it was Lent when I started fasting. But here's an update:

Day 1 continued-
Did virtual schoolwork. Had to rush because big nasty thunderstorm is coming. I guess that takes away the temptation to game online but there's 2 more hurdles-iPhone and DS gaming. I usually only get urged to play DS when I have a new game (which I don't) or when I'm fasting from it (which I AM.) But iPhone is a whole 'nuther story. My main challenge will be iPhone and online gaming. However, it will be easier than I think because God is always with me and I don't have to worry about my virtual villagers because they're all dead. Anyway, God bless you!
TheMewster

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:56 am

At the risk of sounding antagonizing... Aren't uh... fasts kinda supposed to be like... between just you and God?

But anyways. Good luck with your fast!
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby AJV » Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:56 pm

Mr. SmartyPants (post: 1464510) wrote:At the risk of sounding antagonizing... Aren't uh... fasts kinda supposed to be like... between just you and God?

But anyways. Good luck with your fast!

I think I get what you mean since in Matthew 6:16 it said:
“When you fast, do not look somber as the hypocrites do, for they disfigure their faces to show others they are fasting. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full. 17 But when you fast, put oil on your head and wash your face, 18 so that it will not be obvious to others that you are fasting, but only to your Father, who is unseen]and your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.[/U]

Though in this case (and as for the Lent penance thread possibly) I think it's more for accountability or something like that.
I'm not really sure how to word it though. :sweat:
AJV

Postby ADXC » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:15 pm

I used to game all of the time too, but then when I went off to college, I neglected to take my systems so I wasn't able to game. I thought I would die because I couldn't game, but then I found more outlets and was able to find many more friends because of it (Because my time wasn't being taken up).

If it ever gets tough for you to stay away from games, either just put away the systems (Out of sight, out of mind.) or find another outlet where you can put your energy and time into.

Arts and crafts are very fun and productive. This is if you want to do something with your hands. This way you can do something enjoyable and give them as gifts to others.

Of course, there's always reading the Bible and all the other stuff one should focus on during lent, so you could do those too.
ADXC

Postby TheMewster » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:31 pm

Faster's Diary Day 2-
Depressed very badly. Not due to gaming fast, though, life's just horrible in general at the moment. Need lots of prayer that I'll be able to make it. All I can think of is gaming to comfort me, but my fast is more important than my happiness.

Oh, AJV and ADXC, I'm doing this for God, not for others. I posted here so people could support me, because I knew I couldn't keep this up with only one human for support (me.)
TheMewster

Postby ADXC » Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:30 pm

Yeah I realize that, but my tips can help you regardless. And we are supporting you by offering helpful advice. If you don't want it, then just say so.
ADXC

Postby TheMewster » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:09 pm

Oh I wanted advice and I'm so sorry for coming off that way! Gomenasai! God bless you!
TheMewster

Postby AJV » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:42 am

TheMewster (post: 1464601) wrote:Oh, AJV and ADXC, I'm doing this for God, not for others. I posted here so people could support me, because I knew I couldn't keep this up with only one human for support (me.)

No, I never thought you weren't fasting for God and actually what you just said was what I was trying say in my last post.
AJV

Postby Roy Mustang » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:54 pm

Mr. SmartyPants ( wrote:At the risk of sounding antagonizing... Aren't uh... fasts kinda supposed to be like... between just you and God?

Really, you have a point. It has been teach by Catholics and non Catholics that fast for lent that is between you and God and shouldn't bring it up to anyone what you are fasting at all.

This is why I never reply to any fasting threads after it has been teach over and over again in my church as well as other non Catholics that do fasting for lent or just fast.
Roy Mustang

Postby TheMewster » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:01 pm

Oh, ok. I didnt know that. I thought it would be a good idea to post about this because I knew I needed some support and I saw another user once post about her anime fast without getting flamed. I'm sorry! But can we please drop the 'between you and God' topic!? I'm afraid it may result in a war on this thread with users getting rude...and I'm afraid it would influence ME to be rude, creating a stumbling block!
And the Biblical example? Here's my thoughts on it. Don't take it out of context. Jesus said this to those Pharisees because they did it for the attention of other men. So it in my opinion depends on what's in the heart and Who you're doing it for.
But anyway, please drop the subject on thus thread. PM me if you want to discuss it further. I made a mistake. We all do. God bless you and have a good day!

EDIT: Actually read passage, my claim holds no substance, Gomenasai. But like I said, it depends on what's in your heart. Also the Bible says to be honest, so if one asks why you won't do such and such, you should explain your fast, therefore expressing your faith. But like I said, [color="Red"]PLEASE DROP THE TOPIC!!!!![/color] I'm afraid this will become theological debate grounds! So sorry, but due to my newfound guilt, I'm not going to update on the Faster's Diary anymore. So sorry and God bless you!
TheMewster

Return to General