Society's double standard when it comes to girls and boys.

Talk about anything in here.

Postby Lynna » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:08 pm

This is a very interesting thread. I've quite enjoyed watching it. unfortunaitly, I can't really think of anything to contribute...let's see...
well, this is rather off-topic, but It's annoyed me for years that when I went to visit my grandparents, my grandma didn't bother waking me up with everyone else in the morning to chop wood. When I woke up, I asked to help, but she said that it was almost done anyways. Then, later, she PAYED my brothers for helping!:stressed: :mutter: That's always made me so made, though now I just roll my eyes at the memory of it.
That was rather off-topic but anyways...

I think sometimes society is double-standarded in favor of boys, sometimes in favor of girls. It's a very unfair society, really, for all it's claims on being "equal"
I Believe in the Sun/Even when It's not shining/I belive in Love/Even When I Don't Feel it/And I Believe in God/Even when He is silent/And I, I Believe ---BarlowGirl
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks To All The CAA Moderators
DeviantArttumblrBeneath The Tangles
Avatar (lovingly) taken from The Silver Eye webcomic
Lynna

Postby Yuki-Anne » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:12 pm

Nate (post: 1464214) wrote:Also to all women who refuse to acknowledge the fact that beards are awesome and totally cool, I provide iron-clad irrefutable proof that beards are great.

YOU CANNOT ARGUE WITH FACTS. BEARDS ARE THE BEST. RIKER PROVES IT.

My every argument has been demolished.

Plus my dad always had a beard so I'm used to seeing men with beards. I don't particularly care.
New and improved Yuki-Anne: now with blog: http://anneinjapan.blog.com
Yuki-Anne

Postby Rusty Claymore » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:14 pm

You know how to stop double standards?

You don't do it.
Proverbs 31:32 "...when she watches anime, she keeps the room well lit and sits at a safe distance."
Rusty Claymore

Postby Hansha » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:17 pm

Yuki-Anne (post: 1464222) wrote:Plus my dad always had a beard so I'm used to seeing men with beards. I don't particularly care.

See, that's probably why I don't like beards. All the men in my family are clean shaven. My mom said when I was very little they had a friend with a big ol' bushy beard. I was scared of him and would scream and run away when I saw him apparently. XD
" The light shines in the darkness and the darkness has not overcome it." John 1:5
Hansha

Postby Atria35 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:21 pm

My mom was a kid in the 50's, so she's familiar with double-standards. She was one of the first women to go into computers. Got a lot of flack for it.

Her favorite story is that when she was a kid, she was always obscenely jealous of her brother, who got things like K'Nex and Erector Sets for his birthday and Xmas. Not only did he not get them because she was a girl, but she didn't feel like she could even ask because she was a girl (though, from her stories about her parents, I think they wold have gotten her one if she asked. They were very forward-thinking and accepting).

But because she wanted them and never got them, she got me them when I was a kid. Unfortunately, I wasn't interested- I just wasn't mechanically inclined and got too frustrated about how they worked.

Ah! I just remembered one- when I was a little kid, like toddler-age and a little older, I wanted to wear bright colors like blue and green and red. Back then, the girls' section was pink and white pretty much exclusively, so they'd take me over to the boys' section for clothes. Pretty cool of them. They didn't force me to wear 'girly' colors.
Atria35

Postby TopazRaven » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:21 pm

I think beards are sexy. :cool:

*Am I going to get killed for being inappropriate? xD*
For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

NIV, Romans 8:38-39.
TopazRaven

Postby Yuki-Anne » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:37 pm

TopazRaven (post: 1464235) wrote:I think beards are sexy. :cool:

I don't even know what appropriate is any more, but I think is probably okay. XD

Some beards are awesome, and some guys look better with beards. Riker is one, the Nostalgia Critic is another.
Yuki-Anne

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:09 pm

Beards are lame because I can't grow one.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby Yuki-Anne » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:34 pm

Give it time, young grasshopper. Most guys can't grow bears in high school. I think that's why so many go crazy with their beards in college.

EDIT: Best typo ever. I'm leaving it.
Yuki-Anne

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:47 pm

As awesome as the typo thing is, it's a genetic thing. I don't think any of my uncles on my mother's side could grow a full beard, either.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby Sheenar » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:49 pm

I agree that a beard, on the right guy that can pull it off well, is very attractive. I tend to be more attracted to men with facial hair (well-kept and groomed facial hair.)

One of my guy friends had a handlebar mustache once, though --now that looked awful on him. But a goatee or a full beard looks great on him.

Yuki-Anne (post: 1464272) wrote:EDIT: Best typo ever. I'm leaving it.

LOL. Epic.
"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." 2 Corinthians 4:16-18

"Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves."
Sheenar

Postby Yamamaya » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:03 pm

I grew a bear when I was a mere 10 years of age.

:D

I have a bit of a gottee, but no beard.
Yamamaya

Postby Okami » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:03 pm

Yuki-Anne (post: 1464272) wrote:Give it time, young grasshopper. Most guys can't grow bears in high school. I think that's why so many go crazy with their beards in college.

You just made my night with that typo. Thank ya muchly! :thumb:
~*~ Blessed to be Ryosuke's wife!
"We will be her church, the body of Christ coming alive to
meet her needs, to write love on her arms." ~ Jamie Tworkowski
Okami

Postby Fish and Chips » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:20 am

Yuki-Anne (post: 1464272) wrote:Give it time, young grasshopper. Most guys can't grow bears in high school. I think that's why so many go crazy with their beards in college.
Man, I remember in high school I knew a guy who grew this thick, red beard. I was a little jealous of him.

Puberty wasn't particularly kind to me, so I made it a point to grow a beard and mustache as soon as possible, which I think I pulled off nicely. Of course, now I'm in Korea, so off it goes.

Generally, I tend to have a very romanticized view of beards.

Gotta keep them maintained though, guys, seriously.
Fish and Chips

Postby Hiryu » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:23 am

TopazRaven (post: 1464235) wrote:I think beards are sexy. :cool:

Not from this guy. (Pssst: I heard he likes you)

Hiryu

Postby ABlipinTime » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:00 am

Funny how this conversation turned to beards... Random!
I know some guys who worship (pardon the lack of a better word) the beard (basically, they talk about it as though it's awesome). I find it more of a joking sort of thing, particularly based on the contexts in which such comments are made. Personally, I don't really care - I prefer the mustache. :{D
- God is always with us, especially when we feel most alone.
http://ablipintime.deviantart.com/
Htom Sirveaux (post: 1435089) - "We should all start speaking telepathically."
Midori (post: 1457302) "Sometimes, if I try hard, I can speak in English."
(post: 1481465) "Overthinking is an art."
Goldenspines - "Fighting the bad guys and rescuing princesses from trolls and all that. "
ABlipinTime

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:02 pm

Yamamaya wrote:I grew a bear when I was a mere 10 years of age.

:D

I have a bit of a gottee, but no beard.

Oh yeah? Well I kilt me a bar when I was only three. Beat that!
If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Postby Nate » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:06 pm

Speaking of beards:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_s_lnemmD0Q

Jesus commands us to have beards! That PROVES beards are awesome and great and fantastic! YOU CAN'T ARGUE WITH JESUS.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Dr.Faust » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:36 pm

Check out my boy's art: http://www.arttronik.com/
Dr.Faust

Postby TopazRaven » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:20 pm

Hiryu (post: 1464360) wrote:Not from this guy. (Pssst: I heard he likes you)

Dude, that's just awesome! He made shapes with his awesome beard! Is that a windmill!? xD
For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

NIV, Romans 8:38-39.
TopazRaven

Postby Sheenar » Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:19 pm

Nate (post: 1464420) wrote:Speaking of beards:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_s_lnemmD0Q

Jesus commands us to have beards! That PROVES beards are awesome and great and fantastic! YOU CAN'T ARGUE WITH JESUS.

Haha --I love the Vintage 21 video series.
"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." 2 Corinthians 4:16-18

"Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves."
Sheenar

Postby Asuka Neko » Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:04 pm

I LOLd at that typo... and got a really funny mental image of a guy with a bear growing off of his face.

That said, beards look good on some guys and bad on others. It all depends.

Do NOT grow a bear on your face! I will not be attracted to you!!
~My Website~
[color="Cyan"]"Have you ever gotten the urge to do something crazy... and AWESOME!?" -Demyx[/color]
Asuka Neko

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:51 am

You people with non-hairy faces don't know how good you have it. I wish I had your genetic thing, Hat. Shaving all the time is pretty annoying. I might sound like I'm being sarcastic, but I'm totally not. Though I occasionally grow a goatee or beard, I mostly prefer to be clean shaven...which, again, takes work.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby mysngoeshere56 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:04 am

Hey, jumping in kind of late here. The thread's pretty long so I've just read some posts, skimmed through a few, and read staff posts. Sorry if what I'm about to say has already been addressed, but I do have a bit to add to something like this.

Yamamaya (post: 1463518) wrote:Girls are always innocent, even in the case of pregnancy. The boy is the monster who got her pregnant. It appears that people never stop to consider that it takes two to tango.

Not necessarily. I have one friend who got pregnant when she was 17, before we even got out of high school. Some of the comments and looks that people gave her were truly heartbreaking, and definitely not showing the type of Christian love that we're called to give. :-/

My mom? Similar story. She was pregnant with me at 19, and a lot of people blamed her for it because my father was the "innocent minister's kid". Now, a lot of people *do* view him badly now, but that's because he cheated me out of hundreds (if not thousands) in child support and abandoned us instead of helping her raise me, so that was something he brought upon himself an entirely different way.

But, I do see where you're coming from. I'm just saying that there are double standards in which girls get the short end of the stick, too. And sometimes there are standards for both, but the standards for one gender are not very well known by the opposite gender.
-Sno
mysngoeshere56

Postby Nate » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:23 am

I'm gonna agree with mysn, here. I actually almost never see the guy get blamed for a pregnancy (except by the girl's parents, perhaps). Society pretty much always shames the girl for the pregnancy because "She should have known better" or "She shouldn't have been so easy." This thought process of blaming the woman also carries over into certain political subjects that shall not be discussed here, further proof that the woman is blamed for pregnancy.

The only time I will admit that males in society are truly discriminated against is in the case of child custody. The system is heavily biased in favor of females on that. That doesn't make our plight equal to the plight of women (far from it, as they're discriminated against much more heavily and in many more areas), but it is one thing I'd like to see changed to be more equal.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Previous

Return to General