Sore Throat, Anyone?

Talk about anything in here.

Sore Throat, Anyone?

Postby Ally-Ann » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:47 am

Does anyone here have a sore throat and a stuffed nose? I do and my energy is sapped along with it. I've found that honey doesn't bother my throat when I eat it (in fact, it kind of feels good, actually) and ginger and lemon tea work pretty well for my sinuses. Does anyone else have any remedies to soothe a sore throat beside popsicles and honey?
[color="Lime"]My Fictionpress account[/color]! http://www.fictionpress.com/u/740837/Ally-Ann

[color="Yellow"]My Fanfiction account[/color]! http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2401061/ArmyAngel316

My nicknames! [color="Pink"]~*[/color][color="palegreen"]Ally[/color][color="pink"]*~[/color] [color="white"](>[/color][color="Cyan"]Mochi-chan[/color][color="White"]<)[/color]

I like mochi. ^^

I question my [color="DarkOrchid"]sanity[/color]. (._.)

Operation: Blackout
Ally-Ann

Postby Radical Dreamer » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:58 am

I drink Throat Coat all of the time when I have a sore throat. XD It's an herbal tea that you can find in your local grocery or health food store on the coffee and tea aisle, and it's awesome. It's usually used by singers to keep good throat health, but it also works wonders for a sore throat while you're drinking it. XD Add a little bit of honey for flavor. XD Lemon tea and honey is also good. XD
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Atria35 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:31 am

A sore throat either means that it's irritated or you have bacteria growing in your throat.

Because I tend to have a very bad post-nasal drip in the winter, my sore throats are caused by bacteria that are growing back there, and I will get sicker and sicker unless I take care of it.

My preferred way of doing it? I take shot of whiskey. Why? Because gargling doesn't get the mouthwash deep enough to kill most of the germs, and the alcohol content is high enough to kill everything back there.

So 1 shot of whiskey every 4 hours as long as I have the sore throat (usually, I can feel the results/relief of that almost immediately- the pain will be gone in 30 seconds). And wait 5 minutes before eating or drinking anything else, to make sure the alcohol has killed what it's going to kill.

I have a sore throat right now, and also a bit of a stuffy nose. This is actually making it better, since I'm not reinfecting myself.
Atria35

Postby Dante » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:55 am

I get sore throats from post-nasal drip all the time - because I have allergies this is a year-round pain in the neck. By now, I wish I had had my tonsils taken out. Overall, I find that if I catch it early, I can sometimes help it out with a bit of mouth wash gargling. I also keep honey methanol cough drops around and go through several packs - but honestly unless you violate the dosage limits like I do (and I get myself sick from over-eating methanol cough drops) it really doesn't do much of anything.

The best solution? If you're lucky and can both afford it and happen to have the right illness, strep throat can get wiped out by medication prescribed by a doctor (I think it's penicillin actually). They can do a strep test to determine what you have, and if it comes back full positive, they can prescribe the meds and it will be gone in a day or two. Otherwise, it can linger - I've had it go on for as long as a month and it forced me to miss work because it hurt so bad I couldn't even speak.

If you have it chronically like me, something I was amazed with this year was that switching over to a pure-water diet seemed to help. I've had bad allergies for months now and should have had a couple of these things, but so far only slight morning pain and nothing flaring up. I can't guarantee it's the water completely, but I have a kind of hunch.

Atria35 wrote:So 1 shot of whiskey every 4 hours as long as I have the sore throat (usually, I can feel the results/relief of that almost immediately- the pain will be gone in 30 seconds). And wait 5 minutes before eating or drinking anything else, to make sure the alcohol has killed what it's going to kill.

^ Ok, stop that, I don't drink alcohol and you gave me my only major reason to start XD.
Dante

Postby Rusty Claymore » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:47 am

Ack, so you are who I got mine from!!! XD I usually use tea/honey/lemon combos. For the nose I'll do a saline rinse, and that helps me alot.
Proverbs 31:32 "...when she watches anime, she keeps the room well lit and sits at a safe distance."
Rusty Claymore

Postby ShiroiHikari » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:48 am

I have had a mild sore throat for the past three or four days, but no congestion, oddly enough. Gargling some warm water with baking soda mixed in helps a little bit, but I oughta try the shot of whiskey thing and see what happens.

I've also had a headache for about a week straight and have been pretty fatigued. But hey, this is better than having a full-blown head cold.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Atria35 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:53 am

Pascal (post: 1457355) wrote:^ Ok, stop that, I don't drink alcohol and you gave me my only major reason to start XD.

XD

I'm totally not kidding about the relief, though. 30 second to a minute later (depending on how bad my throat it) it's either gone or at worst I still feel a slight tingle.

I have yet to attempt this treatment with allergies, though. So far it's only been colds.
Atria35

Postby Radical Dreamer » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:51 pm

Atria35 (post: 1457348) wrote:My preferred way of doing it? I take shot of whiskey. Why? Because gargling doesn't get the mouthwash deep enough to kill most of the germs, and the alcohol content is high enough to kill everything back there.

I laughed really hard when I read this, but honestly, it makes perfect sense. XD
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Ella Edric » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:30 pm

Sometimes to soothe my raging throatal pain, I suck on those really nasty cough drops. XD Oooo the bitter cherry flavor is the best! o.o-b
Ella Edric

Postby mechana2015 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:34 pm

Atria35 (post: 1457348) wrote:
So 1 shot of whiskey every 4 hours as long as I have the sore throat (usually, I can feel the results/relief of that almost immediately- the pain will be gone in 30 seconds). And wait 5 minutes before eating or drinking anything else, to make sure the alcohol has killed what it's going to kill.

I actually did this with vodka once, but I didn't keep it up so it only helped for a few hours.
EDIT: And it does the members under the legal age limit no good at all.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby K. Ayato » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:03 pm

I used to pop a chewy ginger candy from Trader Joe's in my mouth whenever I had a sore throat and just let it dissolve. Really helped to numb the pain, if only for a while.
K. Ayato: What happens if you press the small red button?

*Explosion goes off in the movie*

mechana2015: Does that answer your question?

K. Ayato: Perfectly.

Prayer sister of kaji, sticksabuser, Angel37, and Doubleshadow --Love you guys! :)
K. Ayato

Postby Sapphire225 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:23 pm

I usually get sore throats from post nasal drip and takes an ibuprofen or throat losenge, as well as keep a stock of Halls on me when it begins to wear off. Surprisingly, I didn't get them in this winter...yet. November however...
"Because the World isn't as cruel as you take it to be." ~ Celty, Durarara!!

Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you."
~Deuteronomy 31:6

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We live in a fantasy world, a world of illusion. The great task in life is to find reality. ~ Iris Murdoch
Sapphire225

Postby Lynna » Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:07 pm

MEEEE TOOOO!!! T.T
I've been bcoming familiar with the taste uf Buckley's Cough Syrup. Ugh!
I Believe in the Sun/Even when It's not shining/I belive in Love/Even When I Don't Feel it/And I Believe in God/Even when He is silent/And I, I Believe ---BarlowGirl
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks To All The CAA Moderators
DeviantArttumblrBeneath The Tangles
Avatar (lovingly) taken from The Silver Eye webcomic
Lynna

Postby Nanao » Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:40 pm

awwe. i had one of those last week. i personally like ricola. celestial seasonings does a nice throat soothing tea as well.

oh and i like the whisky idea as well. i'll have to try that next time i get a sore throat ^_^
Nanao

Postby Ally-Ann » Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:07 pm

Thanks for all the remedies, guys! I really appreciate it. I went to a clinic today and judging by the quick tests they did, I don't have strep throat. However, I didn't really like my doctor that much; he didn't officially prescribe me ANYTHING. He said it was because he wasn't aloud to since my mom doesn't like Sudafed. Honestly, that made me mad because he didn't have to give me Sudafed; he could've given me something else.:mutter: That's what all my other doctors in the past have done. He was just like an "I don't really care" type of doctor. So I'll just keep taking Singulair, Advil, and good ol' tea. Judging from all of my symptoms (sore throat, stuffy nose, fatigue, headache, and eyeache), my mom says I probably have the flu.:shady: I'll definitely try as many of those remedies as I can!....... Except for the whiskey, of course. ._. Thanks anyway!
[color="Lime"]My Fictionpress account[/color]! http://www.fictionpress.com/u/740837/Ally-Ann

[color="Yellow"]My Fanfiction account[/color]! http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2401061/ArmyAngel316

My nicknames! [color="Pink"]~*[/color][color="palegreen"]Ally[/color][color="pink"]*~[/color] [color="white"](>[/color][color="Cyan"]Mochi-chan[/color][color="White"]<)[/color]

I like mochi. ^^

Ally-Ann

Postby Furen » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:39 pm

Ally-Ann (post: 1457470) wrote:Except for the whiskey, of course. ._. Thanks anyway!

Aw darn...
And this I pray, that your love would abound still, more and more with real knowledge and all discernment. Be prepared to preach the gospel at a moment's notice. Do you know the gospel well enough to do so yourself? Be ready.
Furen

Postby Nate » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:54 pm

Ally-Ann wrote:Except for the whiskey, of course.

Oh come on, it doesn't taste THAT bad.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Ally-Ann » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:55 am

Well, I've got another sore throat. But mostly congestion. I hate allergies.:shady:

I like mochi. ^^

Ally-Ann

Postby Sheenar » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:44 am

I have really bad post-nasal drip as well --and it tends to be a year-round issue due to allergies.

I do have a sore throat now and have had it for a few days. My ears have been hurting for a month (it's all part of the post-nasal drip --it can affect the ears as well.) Been to the dr. 4x --got a referral to an Ear, Nose and Throat dr.

For sore throat, hot Refresh tea from Starbucks with honey is awesome. Also Ricola honey drops. Warm water w/ salt helps, but tastes nasty.

I'd try the shot of whiskey, but my body doesn't metabolize alcohol well at all. So, for my safety, I should probably stay away from it. lol
"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." 2 Corinthians 4:16-18

"Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves."
Sheenar

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:58 am

Guys, she's 13. I don't think Whiskey is appropriate, even in this situation. But it is very nice to have when you're older.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby aliveinHim » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:40 am

Hot showers are the best. It will make you feel nice and clear. Breathe in plenty of steam.
"And you He made alive, who were dead in trespasses and sins, in which you once walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit who now works in the sons of disobedience, among whom also we all once conducted ourselves in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind, and were by nature children of wrath, just as the others.
But God, who is rich in mercy, because of His great love with which He loved us, even when we were dead in trespasses, made us alive together with Christ (by grace you have been saved), and raised us up together, and made us sit together in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus, that in the ages to come He might show the exceeding riches of His grace in His kindness toward us in Christ Jesus." Ephesians 2:1-7

http://oribichan94.deviantart.com/
aliveinHim

Postby Atria35 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:24 am

Warrior 4 Jesus (post: 1464089) wrote:Guys, she's 13. I don't think Whiskey is appropriate, even in this situation. But it is very nice to have when you're older.

Depends. My grandparents gave that to my parents occasionally, when it was bad enough. So it's really on how your family views it, kinda like how sme families let the kids have a sip of wine on special occasions.
Atria35

Postby LadyRushia » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:27 am

Peppermint. It's the Chuck Norris of herbs. No joke (I wrote an article about it once). It treats so many different things, XD.

Get yourself some peppermint tea and spend a few minutes breathing in the steam. That's good for relief.

Also, let's not have this thread turn into a discussion about underage drinking and how some families bend the rules more than others, XD.
Fanfiction (updated 1/1/11)-- Lucky Star--Ginsaki ch. 4
[color="Magenta"]Sometimes I post things.[/color]
Image Image Image
LadyRushia

Postby ShiroiHikari » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:11 am

Peppermint is fantastic. I drink double-strength peppermint tea when my stomach feels bad and it really helps (unless I've been stricken with food poisoning or some other nasty thing). I like to drink it for the flavor, too. Spearmint is gross though.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Sammy Boy » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:50 pm

I had a sore throat two days ago. Thank God that I no longer have a sore throat, and only a runny nose now.

When I get a sore throat, I usually gargle with salt and water. I also drink lots of Ribena.

Ally-Ann - I think your body feels sapped of energy because it's trying its hardest to fight the sickness. My body aches and it's because I currently have a virus that the body is trying to fight off.
Sammy Boy

Postby Ally-Ann » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:26 pm

Definitely going to try peppermint tea. I love tea.:) My energy isn't sapped anymore, since I don't have virus (That was about two months ago, maybe a little more). Now it's just allergies. But my allergies have been much, much worse. That's when I found out I had asthma. So, yeah. Allergies, not fun.

I like mochi. ^^

Ally-Ann

Return to General